Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

8 Minute Irsay Interview From Thursday? (Merge)

LightninMax

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

because other than your opinion it has never been established that he was drinking on the job. Irsay admitted he had a problem with pain pills not drinking.

I never said you couldn't have an opinion, and I am entitled to mine as well which was that it was a shot and it was uncalled for. If you want to play the your entitled to your opinion card it works both ways. I also have a right to ask you to provide proof to back up your statement. So far you have provided that you feel his words were slured in the 90's. Sorry I don't think that's good enough if you are going to say someone is drinking on the job.

Also I don't have to be his PR guy to not like seeing people taking unfair shots at our owner. Is everyone who rushes to the defense of Peyton Manning here anytime someone says Brady is better than him his PR guy too?

:) I hope you have a great day! Now run along and go pick an unecessary fight with someone else.

:) I hope you have a great day! Now run along and go pick an unecessary fight with someone else.

I wasn't picking a fight with you I disagreed with something you said and gave you my opinion about it which last time I check is what a forum is for. I hope you have a nice day too just for the record.

OK, I'll bite. What do you believe are Luck's negatives, and what about his play do you dislike?

Irsay has said something that leads many to believe he will pick Luck in the upcoming draft.

"But if he can play, he could do that for us this season and then he'd have the choice of whether to retire, with his number retired, the statue built and the whole thing. If he's healthy, he'd handle 2012 better than Andrew could. But ultimately I have always wanted him to make the decision, with us having pointed out the risk and the stress he's putting his neck under by playing. The biggest aspect is I want him to be comfortable with his decision.''

There are no Andrews on the Colts roster

As noted in CBSSPORTS draft break down. Luck is know for forcing the ball into double coverage. Ball does not explode out of his hand. Trouble moving in collapsing pocket or tight or tight pocket. Will lower shoulder to get first down instead of sliding( I do not think that is a negative, but that is my opinion). Question about post-snap read of defense. I my obsevations of him from watching him play: has trouble with good defenses. Has trouble finishing drives. Has trouble winning the big games(see Oregon games for PAC-12). I admit, he has good upside, but the negatives IMO drop him some. He has had 4 years to get rid of some of these, but haven't. As far as the draft, if Luck is drafted you will need to go Offense heavy to keep him upright, healthy and give him weapons to succeed. This will be another Polian draft and we all know what they are like.

As noted in CBSSPORTS draft break down. Luck is know for forcing the ball into double coverage. Ball does not explode out of his hand. Trouble moving in collapsing pocket or tight or tight pocket. Will lower shoulder to get first down instead of sliding( I do not think that is a negative, but that is my opinion). Question about post-snap read of defense. I my obsevations of him from watching him play: has trouble with good defenses. Has trouble finishing drives. Has trouble winning the big games(see Oregon games for PAC-12). I admit, he has good upside, but the negatives IMO drop him some. He has had 4 years to get rid of some of these, but haven't. As far as the draft, if Luck is drafted you will need to go Offense heavy to keep him upright, healthy and give him weapons to succeed. This will be another Polian draft and we all know what they are like.

^lmao if this was 1998, those could all be the same things about Peyton. Boy I tell you history repeats itself.

^ lmao if this was 1998, those could all be the same things about Peyton. Boy I tell you history repeats itself.

I believe Manning's was that he had "happy feet" in the pocket. Had a good arm but not an elite arm. Could make all the throws, but questions about deep outs and fly(9) route.Could be wrong .

I believe Manning's was that he had "happy feet" in the pocket. Had a good arm but not an elite arm. Could make all the throws, but questions about deep outs and fly(9) route.Could be wrong .

Luck doesn't struggle with happy feet but also faces the scrutinity of arm strength. People really try to look for perfection in college QB's when in reality they aren't pros yet. Manning had to learn to place the ball differently in terms of mechanics when he dropped back to pass. It was something he learned to do in the pros that was different from when he was in college. Luck too will have to work on some things such as mechanics but overall, he is ahead of the game coming out of college.

Luck doesn't struggle with happy feet but also faces the scrutinity of arm strength. People really try to look for perfection in college QB's when in reality they aren't pros yet. Manning had to learn to place the ball differently in terms of mechanics when he dropped back to pass. It was something he learned to do in the pros that was different from when he was in college. Luck too will have to work on some things such as mechanics but overall, he is ahead of the game coming out of college.

I understand about the transistion from College to NFL. He has had 4 years to work out some of his problems, 3 with JIm Harbough and still has them. Actually, I like a good arm strength over elite, because QB with good arm strength know limitations of his arm. These negatives remind me more of Tony Romo than John Elway.

I understand about the transistion from College to NFL. He has had 4 years to work out some of his problems, 3 with JIm Harbough and still has them. Actually, I like a good arm strength over elite, because QB with good arm strength know limitations of his arm. These negatives remind me more of Tony Romo than John Elway.

Lol I think the Tony Romo comparison is out of place. Romo struggles with decision making and holds the ball way too long sometimes. I think it'd be more accurate to compare Favre and Romo and Luck to Peyton. Yes people think theres no comparing to Peyton but in terms of style and mechanics and knowledge, Luck is the closest to Peyton that we have seen in years.

Lol I think the Tony Romo comparison is out of place. Romo struggles with decision making and holds the ball way too long sometimes. I think it'd be more accurate to compare Favre and Romo and Luck to Peyton. Yes people think theres no comparing to Peyton but in terms of style and mechanics and knowledge, Luck is the closest to Peyton that we have seen in years.

Not really. One of the negatives on Luck is forcing the ball into double coverage and having trouble with good defenses. I agree Favre and Romo have that problem and that is why I compared him to Romo.

Guys, Manning is not going to be on the team next year no matter what. There is no possible financial agreement that can be made for him to stay with the Colts. Even if he is partially healthy, with a chance to recover by September he is still not going to be with the team.

The reason is that he is going to want to play and so is Luck. There is no room for both of them. Irsay is going to choose the younger guy, in other words the future. Period.

Guys, Manning is not going to be on the team next year no matter what. There is no possible financial agreement that can be made for him to stay with the Colts. Even if he is partially healthy, with a chance to recover by September he is still not going to be with the team.

The reason is that he is going to want to play and so is Luck. There is no room for both of them. Irsay is going to choose the younger guy, in other words the future. Period.

Look I am going to say for the record I don't think Manning is going to be back next season with that said clearly there is a way he can be here or Irsay wouldn't be talking to him about it. I would agree it's likely Manning is going to say thanks but no thanks but I don't and no one knows that is going to be the case for a fact. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and more than welcomed to express their opinion here but it's best to make sure you are indeed expressing an opinion and not stating your opinion likes it' an iron clad fact when it's not.

Not hating, just do not like spending a 1st overall on a Romo like QB.

In your first post in this thread you said you dislike Luck. Then you trot out some of the negatives (which every college player has), which is fine. But you haven't really said what you'd prefer to do with the draft pick? And please don't say keep Manning for 4 years, as we all know, that is extremely unlikely to happen for all the reasons already stated a trillion times on here.....

I did get the sense that he was choosing his words extremely carefully. Who can blame him? People pick and choose particular words.........out of context...........and rant about it well past it being a dead issue

It is THE topic of the off season and I'm sure he's got enough real issues to work through without the additional drama that keeps coming back over and over again

March 8 cannot come soon enough for me!

I agree maureen.

It looks to me like Irsay is a people person.

He loves interacting with the fans.

I don't think his past comments had as many "hidden messages' as people think.

I think he was just speaking his mind sincerely.

Sure, maybe he shouldn't have said as much, but that is the guy he is.

I too thought he was choosing his words VERY carefully and who can blame him?

For every comment he makes, the media spins in in 5 different directions.

He's said all along he wants Peyton back IF HEALTHY. And more recently , he's even said he'd entertain the idea of manning coming back even IF NOT HEALTHY IF peyton would do a deal reflective of the inherent uncertainty of the situation.

How can he be blamed for thinking those things? Isn't that what IS best for the organization?

I don't think this interview really showed anything new except that perhaps Jim is finally realizing that he can't be as open with his thoughts in a situation such as this.

I wish the best for Peyton, Irsay and the organization whatever that may be.

I persoally would like that situation to be manning playing HERE for a few more years with Luck waiting in the wings.

That may be unrealistic, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Maintain low tones before you spout off a 'dear god' to me.

Reading comprehending is the key to understanding posts. Go back and read it again. He said and i quote 'people think its the end of the world when one player leaves' well, Manning wasnt playing last year correct. And the colts went 2-14 correct. So in fact the colts world of being afc superior did end last year. I fail to see where you dont understand that. One player being gone.. ie: Manning did in fact end the domination of the afc south. Any questions?

The Colts have been on a slide for a few years now. Its the reason we've been hearing about the "window closing" from the media for several years.

The core of this team has aged (not just manning) and change was coming regardless of the "health' of manning.

Just because we have dominated a "soft" AFC South doesn't automatically make us world beaters. This has been made VERY clear for the last decade by our playoff history. What do you think our records would have been in that time if we would have stayed in the AFC East? We certainly, like it or not, would not have dominated that division every year.

Really, what good is winning all those regular season games only to lose the 1st or 2nd playoff game?

Also, remember, in 2006 when we won the Super Bowl most would say it was on the back of our defense (surprisingly) and not as much on manning.

Just as we can compare last year without manning, we could compare how we might have done by putting more $ into the rest of the team and not 20% of the cap into manning.

I'm in NO WAY bashing Manning, but history is history.

Really, what good is winning all those regular season games only to lose the 1st or 2nd playoff game?

This is as crappy a question as I have ever heard.

So you really want to tell that a 4 months' ride of fun with 10, 12 or 14 W's is meaningless to you? I don't think so. I think, every game is valuable because I spend a lot of time watching the games on any given Sunday. And I prefer watching these games over a 3-hour span winning in good style (with the bonus of qualifying for the playoffs) rather than losing out all no matter how the playoffs unfold. Of course, I want the Colts to win it all but at the end of the day there can be only one winner - in football, in soccer, everywhere in sports. It's difficult to accept but there are other good teams that want to win, too.

So knowing that it is very likely that you will be pi...ed at the end of most seasons everybody should be glad about as many enjoyable Sundays as possible. And Manning made (and will make) for a lot of enjoyable Sundays...

So knowing that it is very likely that you will be pi...ed at the end of most seasons everybody should be glad about as many enjoyable Sundays as possible. And Manning made (and will make) for a lot of enjoyable Sundays...

Good point about the regular season games. I love a regular season packed with edge of your seat, come from behind, heart stopping games.

I understand people being frustrated about the playoffs. But, man, we have had some really raucous seasons! Wouldn't trade them for anything.

You took a lot of things out of context.

Indeed he does force it into double coverage because he relies on his accuracy too much (which is extremely good). Also they state his problem of throwing into double coverage explicitly in 2010 vs. Arizona St. and Oregon. It says all 4 of his interceptions against the two teams were in double coverage. Now here is the problem. He didn't have a multi interception game against Arizona State. . .He did throw 1 interception but played very well outside of that and won the game. This bothers me as there is a lot of credibility lost here when a writer doesn't have his facts right. What else should I believe?

It says the ball does not explode out of his hand like passers with greater arm strength. Goes on to then say BUT has plenty of torque.

Says nothing about trouble moving in a collapsing pocket. Says he does not have enough mobility to evade defenders in "tight quarters". Then again he is no Ben Roethlisberger. He won't be pulling Eli Mannings move against the Pats in the 2007 SB. And our very own Manning does not escape defenders either, he will take the sack in a fetal position as we have seen many times. Many scouting reports have said Lucks pocket presence is extremely good and the 2nd most valued trait after his accuracy. Sometimes 3rd behind his ability to read defenses.

Says nothing negative about lowering his shoulder. It says he is not afraid of lowering his shoulder to get the 1st down or score.

Says nothing about post snap reading defenses negatively. It states he does a good job of looking off defenders. In the end it re-iterates about him throwing in double coverage (which happened in 2010). It doesn't say anywhere throwing into double coverage has been costly in 2011(Which it should being that his 2011 season is far more relevant).

As far as winning the big games in college. There is a pretty important guy in Indianapolis who had trouble winning big games in college. I forget his name. . .6'5 .. laser rocket arm.. .oh well

Here are his 2 biggest games which are the bowl games and his stats

Orange Bowl 2010: 231.8 QB Rating (2nd Highest of career, 2nd highest of season)

Fiesta Bowl 2011: 196. QB Rating (3rd highest of season, had 87% completion percentage, highest of career, 347 yards, 2nd highest of season(3rd highest of career))

And if you think he has trouble finishing drives, please watch his last drive of his college career.

source: http://www.cbssports...players/1631912

This is as crappy a question as I have ever heard.

So you really want to tell that a 4 months' ride of fun with 10, 12 or 14 W's is meaningless to you? I don't think so. I think, every game is valuable because I spend a lot of time watching the games on any given Sunday. And I prefer watching these games over a 3-hour span winning in good style (with the bonus of qualifying for the playoffs) rather than losing out all no matter how the playoffs unfold. Of course, I want the Colts to win it all but at the end of the day there can be only one winner - in football, in soccer, everywhere in sports. It's difficult to accept but there are other good teams that want to win, too.

I didn't mean the regular season wins were worthless.

i just meant the goal was the super bowl win. obviously.

I agree with everything you said, it IS the way I feel too.

But the way we somewhat collapsed in most of the playoff runs cannot be overlooked.

The difference between our success in the regular season versus the playoffs was somewhat disappointing.

But I always say 1 Super bowl win is "good enough" for me in some ways.

The difference between 1 win and 0 wins is FAR greater (in my mind) than the difference between 2 and 3, etc.

Just ask Eagle fans or Bills fans how they feel about their regular season vs playoff and Super bowl success. That was my point.

But the way we somewhat collapsed in most of the playoff runs cannot be overlooked.

The difference between our success in the regular season versus the playoffs was somewhat disappointing.

Unfortunately, I am not the biggest expert of football but my own little analysis told me that we very often lacked just a piece of different leadership. I loved Tony Dungy, I even respected Jim Caldwell for his demeanor. But with such talented groups that we had, with playmakers on both sides of the ball, we just had to be more aggressive, take more chances every now and then. So from my point of view, no matter how "poor" Manning partly played during playoffs, we actually had a problem not on the field but apart from it.

And this is why I hope that we can at least see one or two seasons with Manning and a different kind of coaching (in terms of behaviour and emphasis). An excellent offensive mind (Manning) together with an excellent defensive mind (hopefully Pagano) and another approach to the game could make up for a heck of a season.

Perhaps, but it seemed like the games we lost during the regular season were to the same teams we lost to in the playoffs, in most cases.

Teams like Pitt, NE, SD, etc. Playoff caliber teams.

I agree about your point about lack of agressiveness on defense.

But on offense, manning kind of had his choice of what to run.

Who knows.

...and in your world if we do that...best case scenario Peyton plays a maximum of 4 years and we win the Super Bowl at least once. Then you will need a QB after 4 years and you will have to draft one to start over. Now, realistically, QB's in the NFL never win a Super Bowl when they are over 38 years old. Forget the injury, because apparently you have...that means he has roughly 2 years to win a Super Bowl with this team. You are fofeiting a 15 year run with Luck, a new staff and new schemes for a 2 year run with an old Peyton. So, I would say you are NOT the one with common sense, but you are the one who is WISHING for a miracle to happen.

P MAnning is the statitical anomoly

You know what I took out of Super Bowl 44? The only person you can't blame for the loss was Pat McAfee. Everyone else INCLUDING Peyton can share a little bit in the blame for us losing the game. With that said if people are trying to put all the blame for that loss on Manning's shoulders that's a mistake as well. No one single play cost us that game. There were several mistakes during the course of the game that ended up costing us the game. You can point to any number of plays in that game that had they gone differently we would have won. We just didn't bring our A game that day and the Saints were the better team that day as a result. Again unless you are named Pat McAfee everyone who was on the team can shoulder some weight for that loss.

You know what I took out of Super Bowl 44? The only person you can't blame for the loss was Pat McAfee. Everyone else INCLUDING Peyton can share a little bit in the blame for us losing the game. With that said if people are trying to put all the blame for that loss on Manning's shoulders that's a mistake as well. No one single play cost us that game. There were several mistakes during the course of the game that ended up costing us the game. You can point to any number of plays in that game that had they gone differently we would have won. We just didn't bring our A game that day and the Saints were the better team that day as a result. Again unless you are named Pat McAfee everyone who was on the team can shoulder some weight for that loss.

My Fault put this in the wrong thread...