Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seahawks trade Jermaine Kearse to Jets for Sheldon Richardson

IndyScribe

Wow, that's surprising. There has to be something more to this trade as Kearse is nowhere near the player Richardson is. Maybe a couple picks added in? Jets are further proving that they want to tank. They're trading away all the talent on their defense.

Edit: Updated trade

Final trade details:

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

Very interesting....even if he walks after this year they likely get a 3rd if worse 4th rd compensatory pick....all they had to do is fit the bill for his salary I guess.

That is a really good point. I think it is a good trade for both teams.

The Vikes won't be able to keep all their quality d-linemen. I wish they would get some picks for a few of them rather than cut them. Can we get anything for former Packer Datone Jones?

The Jets bent the Seahawks over a barrel on this trade. Sheldon Richardson has one year left on his deal. ONE! They are basically giving up a second rounder for one year of production, and Sheldon hasn't been anything special, he's a name value guy. Leonard Williams is the special member of that Defensive Line, and even the Jets know that. Ridiculous overpay by the Seahawks for a guy that won't add much to a stacked Defensive Line already but some improved depth and slight playing value. At least trade a 2nd for a solid WR opposite Baldwin if you want to make a run for Russell Wilson, or a LT since yours got injured for the year.

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The Jets bent the Seahawks over a barrel on this trade. Sheldon Richardson has one year left on his deal. ONE! They are basically giving up a second rounder for one year of production, and Sheldon hasn't been anything special, he's a name value guy. Leonard Williams is the special member of that Defensive Line, and even the Jets know that. Ridiculous overpay by the Seahawks for a guy that won't add much to a stacked Defensive Line already but some improved depth and slight playing value. At least trade a 2nd for a solid WR opposite Baldwin if you want to make a run for Russell Wilson, or a LT since yours got injured for the year.

Seahawks window on this defense is closing...they are going big....all in. They likely get a 3rd rd compensatory pick anyways so yeah they lose a round in pick....but they have a stud DL...and helps pass rush...they struggled with the run some last year too...so I like the move for them.

Just now, dgambill said:

Seahawks window on this defense is closing...they are going big....all in. They likely get a 3rd rd compensatory pick anyways so yeah they lose a round in pick....but they have a stud DL...and helps pass rush...they struggled with the run some last year too...so I like the move for them.

The Jets forum was saying they weren't getting any Comp picks next year, that's why it's such a steal. They unloaded a one year guy for a bargain basement WR and a 2nd round pick basically. We'll see if it puts the Seahawks over the top. I would of spent a 2nd on a WR opposite Baldwin, or a LT if I were them, but I could be wrong.

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The Jets aren't getting any compensatory picks this year. 

No seattle would even if Richardson leaves....meaning they get him for a year and swap rounds on the pick basically. Bennett and Sherman and company are getting long in the tooth. Now or never for that group. Go big or go home.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

No seattle would even if Richardson leaves....meaning they get him for a year and swap rounds on the pick basically. Bennett and Sherman and company are getting long in the tooth. Now or never for that group. Go big or go home.

Oh I see what you mean. Since the trade was before the season, Richardson's compensatory value goes to the Seahawks, am I right on that?

Seattles OL is actually better this year...not great but better. Sure they have other needs but they have been able to turn avg wr into good players. Kearse wasn't going to start...he got out played preseason. Richardson is a 3 down lineman. Think of this move like the Revis move for NE few years ago....not necessary but allows that defense to do more things they want...and yes probably one and done. Time will tell if it's worth it but it's ballsy...and kinda move that cAn lead them to a division title and maybe home field advantage.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh I see what you mean. Since the trade was before the season, Richardson's compensatory value goes to the Seahawks, am I right on that?

Yes. How I understand it. Yep Jets were likely to add a lot of players next offseason since they just opened up a crap load of cap space this offseason for next year. So yes the additions they would add would offset Richardsons value lost.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Seattles OL is actually better this year...not great but better. Sure they have other needs but they have been able to turn avg wr into good players. Kearse wasn't going to start...he got out played preseason. Richardson is a 3 down lineman. Think of this move like the Revis move for NE few years ago....not necessary but allows that defense to do more things they want...and yes probably one and done. Time will tell if it's worth it but it's ballsy...and kinda move that cAn lead them to a division title and maybe home field advantage.

I think Seattle's LT got hurt for the year and tore his ACL in preseason, that's why I mentioned that.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Seattle's LT got hurt for the year and tore his ACL in preseason, that's why I mentioned that.

He did...but across the board they've been pretty good....run the ball well this preseason too. Clearly they think Wilson can offset that...and they want to lean on that defense...they just upgraded the one weakness they had last year with Richardson on that side of the ball. Seattle  just leap frogged GB as my favorite in the NfC...will be fun to see a NE vs Sea rematch.

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

More like the opposite way around.

Insane trade, being insanely lopsided in favor of the Seahawks. The rich get richer.

Worst case scenario, they trade a bottom WR and a 2nd rounder for a compensatory 3rd rounder and a 1 year rental on Richardson.

Richardson is worth more in 1 finger than Kearse and that hypothetical 2nd rounder (unknown draftee at this point) was worth his in his whole body.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Seahawks OL is worse. It has been declining since they won the SB.

3 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Seahawks OL is worse. It has been declining since they won the SB.

They had some young guys last year that have looked good this preseason. They've ran the ball well so far. Luke Joeckal has been a good signing at LG. Granted it isn't top 5 but they've taken steps forward this year. If they can run the ball again watch Wilson have a great season.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:41 AM, Finball said:

In obvious passing downs, Seahawks can put

Avril-Richardson-Bennett-Clark

out there. Have fun blocking that, NFC.

Exactly.

And that's not even factoring in Jarran Reed, Nazair Jones, and Malik McDowell. The D-Line was so good, they had to waive 2 starters (Tony McDaniel and Atya Rubin) to make room.

Talent-wise alone, Richardson has more talent in his pinky finger than Jermaine Kearse and the 2nd rounder involved in that trade.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:41 AM, Finball said:

In obvious passing downs, Seahawks can put

Avril-Richardson-Bennett-Clark

out there. Have fun blocking that, NFC.

Then again they don't know what obvious is after SB 49. It was obvious they run the ball from the 1 Yard line with their best player in Lynch instead of trying to make their QB the hero  and they passed. Just a terrible choke job.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see them beating Dallas or Green Bay if push comes to shove. Marshawn Lynch was their best player, those days are over. The still have a solid Defense but nothing like 2013 or 14.

Zeke will probably play all season now the way things are looking. Dallas vs NE in the SB IMO

This is arguably the best Seattle's defense has been since 2013. They could possibly have 8 or 9 pro bowlers. 

Green Bay went 5-5 last year when they weren't playing their god awful division, and then did nothing to really upgrade their team this past year. Packers are overrated every year just due to Rodgers name alone. In the past two years, Green Bay has benefited from playing their crappy division in a way the Colts used to dominate the bad AFC South for years. They go 5-1 vs the division, then 5-5 the rest of the year to barely make it to 10-6. 

Dallas lost half their defense and is going to be starting rookies in their entire secondary. That isn't going to bold well, regardless if they have Ezekiel Elliot or not. They'll be lucky to even go back to the playoffs given how much their defense is bound to struggle.

3 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

This is arguably the best Seattle's defense has been since 2013. They could possibly have 8 or 9 pro bowlers. 

Green Bay went 5-5 last year when they weren't playing their god awful division, and then did nothing to really upgrade their team this past year. Packers are overrated every year just due to Rodgers name alone. In the past two years, Green Bay has benefited from playing their crappy division in a way the Colts used to dominate the bad AFC South for years. They go 5-1 vs the division, then 5-5 the rest of the year to barely make it to 10-6. 

Dallas lost half their defense and is going to be starting rookies in their entire secondary. That isn't going to bold well, regardless if they have Ezekiel Elliot or not. They'll be lucky to even go back to the playoffs given how much their defense is bound to struggle.

I just dont see the hype behind Seattle, maybe people love Russell Wilson? I think Russell is Very Good but to me their 2013 DEfense and Lynch was easily way they dominated Peyton's team.