Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Peyton The Goat?

Of course a lot of Fans would say no. But seeing as how Peyton has the POWER to steal all attention from the Super Bowl. He has the power for people to know things about him when he says so. What player can do things like that? I mean seriously?.... So this is a serious/ non serious thread. If Peyton does really have the power to do this, then I'd say yeah he's the goat. And also I have never seen so many teams wanting a player this bad, ever. But In all seriousness I'm mocking the media.

Depends on how you look at it.

If someone asks me who the 'greatest QB of all-time' is, I'd probably say Manning. His combination of intelligence, accuracy, ability etc etc. As a QUARTERBACK.

Now is he the greatest champion of all time. Not even close.

But this is from a guy who doesn't consider Jerry Rice the greatest WR of all time, so take it with a grain of salt.

Lets put it this way, if I could 'BUILD' a QB, it'd be pretty darn close to looking like Manning.

Lets put it this way, if I could 'BUILD' a QB, it'd be pretty darn close to looking like Manning.

Was that a Frankenstein's monster joke? He does kinda look like one...

I think it all comes down to what you're looking for in a quarterback.

If you want arm strength, you can find better.

If you want longevity, he is behind Favre.

If you want preparation and intelligence, he's hand down your man.

If you want rings, go with Bradshaw.

If you want stats, I put Marino first, Manning second, but they will both be passed with the new rules.

If you want leadership and an ability to carry a team, I would go with Manning.

If someone asks me who the 'greatest QB of all-time' is, I'd probably say Manning. His combination of intelligence, accuracy, ability etc etc. As a QUARTERBACK.

But this is from a guy who doesn't consider Jerry Rice the greatest WR of all time, so take it with a grain of salt.

Too many playoff loses to be the greatest of all time, but my all time favorite! Had PM played with a better defense then yes greatest of all time. This year shows why he is mvp of all time, because no one player in the history of sports has meant more to a team then him,maybe MJ, he carried some so-so Bulls teams. However PM is top five all time.

Too many playoff loses to be the greatest of all time, but my all time favorite! Had PM played with a better defense then yes greatest of all time. This year shows why he is mvp of all time, because no one player in the history of sports has meant more to a team then him,maybe MJ, he carried some so-so Bulls teams. However PM is top five all time.

This is what always gets me in these discussions. Why does everybody want to pin wins or losses on a QB? Granted they are the most important position on the field, but it takes 53 guys and a coaching staff to win games in the NFL. Can I say he's the G.O.A.T. I really don't know. The fact that he has 4 MVPs speaks volumes for itself. Prior to the neck situation he was on pace to beat every major statistic for QBs and when you ask anybody who knows about the game who is the smartest guy to play QB they will 9 out of 10 times tell you PM. All of those give him a pretty compelling case as being the best ever.

I'm convinced he is the best of all time, but this is a subjective debate; there is no way to say anyone is right or wrong and this is a debate that will literally never end. I think he is the best of all time, other people have their own opinions, and that's fine. As long as we don't kill each other over it, it's no big deal....now, the other day, my friend who's a Giants fan said Eli is better than Peyton. Any argument he brought up, I shot down. Even people who know very little about football couldn't take him seriously

Yes, he is the best ever. And yes this is a team sport, but without him the team wins 2 games instead of 10 or 12. No other player or maybe any two players on one team would have that affect on a team.

-Brady went down still won 11 games

-Shaub and super Mario all season, and Andre for half the season went down and they still made playoffs

-And the year before last we had almost everyone on our team injured at one time or another and Peyton willed us to still win 10 games. Hes the only one that has the impact on a team that he does.

And championships help a legacy, but does not show who is the best ever. If they did that would mean Robert Horry is better than Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.

IMO Peyton is the best ever hands down.

Joe Montana. Its not the 4 rings. It's Montana's stats when it mattered the most. 11 TD's 0 INTs (and 2 rushing TDs) in 4 SB's. Countless game winning drives. nearly a 96 rating in the playoffs over a span of 23 games. His quarterback rating in the Super Bowl is 127.8 over 4 SB games. 147.6 rating in his last super bowl. These are numbers that are extremely hard to match. He did in the 80s as well. Even before he had Jerry Rice, he had 2 SB wins in which he played amazing.

Why does it matter? I know, lets talk about how so-and-so had X number of TD's and how this other guy had more whatever and this one guy had better blah blah blah.......

What matters is what Peyton's legacy means to you. Trying to debate this is like listening to various cultures argue about whos god is real.

I would not say he is the greatest QB of all time. I think that crown goes to Joe Montana, but I do think he is the most valuable QB of all time if that even makes sense.

What Manning has done for this team and city is just amazing. I have no doubt that had we took Leaf instead of Manning it would be the LA Colts or Houston Colts.

This is what always gets me in these discussions. Why does everybody want to pin wins or losses on a QB? Granted they are the most important position on the field, but it takes 53 guys and a coaching staff to win games in the NFL. Can I say he's the G.O.A.T. I really don't know. The fact that he has 4 MVPs speaks volumes for itself. Prior to the neck situation he was on pace to beat every major statistic for QBs and when you ask anybody who knows about the game who is the smartest guy to play QB they will 9 out of 10 times tell you PM. All of those give him a pretty compelling case as being the best ever.

I DIDNT PIN LOSES ON HIM. I referenced bad D, and again there is no way to put PM ahead of Montana, Bradshaw or Aikman.

Id say Marino was the best pure passer in the history of the game and Montana was the most clutch QB.

Id say Peyton is the QB who's meant the most for his team though. He's the closest thing the NFL has ever seen to Bill Russell.

Joe Montana. Its not the 4 rings. It's Montana's stats when it mattered the most. 11 TD's 0 INTs (and 2 rushing TDs) in 4 SB's. Countless game winning drives. nearly a 96 rating in the playoffs over a span of 23 games. His quarterback rating in the Super Bowl is 127.8 over 4 SB games. 147.6 rating in his last super bowl. These are numbers that are extremely hard to match. He did in the 80s as well. Even before he had Jerry Rice, he had 2 SB wins in which he played amazing.

That's pretty much my opinion as well.

At the same time, I've seen Manning do things with a football I didn't think possible and I would happily take the pepsi challenge on his knowledge of football with anyone in the NFL past or present.

Like was already said though, these GOAT discussion largely come down to prefence so I wouldn't say anyone is wrong to argue Manning (or brady or whoever of the top QBs)

That's pretty much my opinion as well.

At the same time, I've seen Manning do things with a football I didn't think possible and I would happily take the pepsi challenge on his knowledge of football with anyone in the NFL past or present.

Like was already said though, these GOAT discussion largely come down to prefence so I wouldn't say anyone is wrong to argue Manning (or brady or whoever of the top QBs)

One thing that set Manning apart was his ability to take a team from WAAAAY behind and secure a win. The two were quite similar in this respect.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=MannPe00

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player=MontJo01

I DIDNT PIN LOSES ON HIM. I referenced bad D, and again there is no way to put PM ahead of Montana, Bradshaw or Aikman.

Yes you did reference a bad D, but when you say too many playoff loses as a reason to why he shouldn't be considered the goat then yes you are putting losses on PM when it's a team matter. And Bradshaw, seriously???? The guy was a slightly above average QB that had a phenomenal defense behind him (one of the greatest of all time) that aided in a lot of his success. A guy that has career numbers of 51.9 completion percentage, 212 TDs, 210 INTs, 27,989 yards, and a 70.9 QB rating is better IYO than Manning. Wow, that truly amazes me.

Its pretty hard to argue against Rice as the best ever. I dont think he was the most talented ever, but he sure did the most with what he had. Imo Randy Moss was the most talented and best WR I have ever seen play the game. If he could have kept his head on straight his whole career he could have broken every record in the books and possibly taken Daunte Culpepper to a much higher place in the QB lore.

Its pretty hard to argue against Rice as the best ever. I dont think he was the most talented ever, but he sure did the most with what he had. Imo Randy Moss was the most talented and best WR I have ever seen play the game. If he could have kept his head on straight his whole career he could have broken every record in the books and possibly taken Daunte Culpepper to a much higher place in the QB lore.

"did the most with what he had", surely your not taking shots at a 15year run of Montana/Young as a QB.

Im similar to you, I'd have to say Randy Moss is the best WR I have ever seen, and I saw Jerry play "back in the day".

But with that being said, I'd have to say Don Hutson was the greatest WR of all time, Im not that old, but I sure would have liked to have seen him play. In 1942, he led the league with 74rec, 1200+yds, and 17TDs...Second most catches in the league that season? 27...The second most yards. 500.

Calvin Johnson just had a MAMMOTH year, and he finished with 96/1600/16.........Hutson did that in 1942!....O did I mention he did it in 11 games??!?!?!?! UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Montana is the GOAT. But as someone else wrote, it can easily be argued that Peyton is the most valuable of all time.

yeah this is exactly how I see it. Montana as the goat but the man who has been the most valuable. . .Manning.

"did the most with what he had", surely your not taking shots at a 15year run of Montana/Young as a QB.

Im similar to you, I'd have to say Randy Moss is the best WR I have ever seen, and I saw Jerry play "back in the day".

But with that being said, I'd have to say Don Hutson was the greatest WR of all time, Im not that old, but I sure would have liked to have seen him play. In 1942, he led the league with 74rec, 1200+yds, and 17TDs...Second most catches in the league that season? 27...The second most yards. 500.

Calvin Johnson just had a MAMMOTH year, and he finished with 96/1600/16.........Hutson did that in 1942!....O did I mention he did it in 11 games??!?!?!?! UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I was more referring to his size and speed, not who was throwing the ball.

I'm convinced he is the best of all time, but this is a subjective debate; there is no way to say anyone is right or wrong and this is a debate that will literally never end. I think he is the best of all time, other people have their own opinions, and that's fine. As long as we don't kill each other over it, it's no big deal....now, the other day, my friend who's a Giants fan said Eli is better than Peyton. Any argument he brought up, I shot down. Even people who know very little about football couldn't take him seriously

I don't think you can have a losing playoff record and be considered the GOAT.

And honestly this GOAT thing has always been annoying to me. I don't see whats wrong with simply being labeled "one of the best of all time." People get so darn spoiled.

OK, if the NFL was played with players only (like street football) no coaches, Peyton would tie with Otto Graham as the best ever BAR NONE. However, he's not the best thrower. He tends to look down a reciever too long. And most fans judge from the shoulders, down.

Honestly I think the top 100 did the Qbs in the right order. Montana, Unitas, Manning. We got 2 of the best 3. I can live with that.

What if that Manning ends up Eii when all is said and done?

I am not joking either. He is making his case as the biggest clutch QB around.

He certainly has raised his game to the elite level. When he was coming out of College there were some that felt he was better than Peyton....just not as driven. It seems as if that drive is in 5th gear now ;)

21 stole the words from my mouth.

Eli needs to be way more consistent before he is anywhere close to being mentioned as one of the best QBs of all time.

:thmup:

Consistent how? In the regular season? He is consistent in the playoffs though more, which is more important isn't it?

Maybe Eli needs an MVP or two. Stil those are often popularity contests. I thought Rodgers deserved it this year but not even I thought he would get 48 of 50 votes which was a bit odd to me. The MVP often seems decided far before the season is even over.

Eli needs to be way more consistent before he is anywhere close to being mentioned as one of the best QBs of all time.

Don't get me wrong. I am not puttin Eli as a best ever right now. Just saying down the road who knows. It would be an interesting story if he finished with 3 or 4 rings when bashed so much early in his career.

The guy that has always been overrated to me is Tom Brady. I hope I did not just let in a flood of Pats fans but I often felt like Brady was a compliment to his team rather then the guy they could not live without. The clutch/magic argument with Brady has often baffled me at times over the years.