Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Mark this isn't the NFL...most superstars are top 10 picks...rare to find some outside that. I'm not for tanking long term...but using the year as a trial to see if we could find lightening in a bottle with some young guys I'm ok. That said Boston is very competitive with majority under 25. If you have right guys all that will sort out and those young guys grow into harden Durant and Westbrook maybe

dg;

You cant say in retrospect..that the Cavs lost intentionally to get LeBron.

They didn't know LeBron was coming.

Most 1st round draft choices are average players. A few are your lightning in a bottle..

Check last year's draft

....In the NBA you sign free agents or get young guys on their 2nd or 3rd contract...

Like Hayward...Like Durant...Like Paul George

Draft 19 year olds and you are the Lakers and the Sixers

 

Note that when Monta and Big Al end their time with us this coming year.

..we will have significant cap space

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

dg;

Once you tank, you cant say how long it will be.

Maybe your draft choices fail..and you cant get free agents.

...or the next Durant doesn't come along the year you tanked

 

There's nothing wrong with getting lottery pick if you didn't lose 60 games intentionally to get it.

If you did, like the 76ers.

Its a disgrace....For us to do it?  No tanks!

Of course. 2018 is one of the strongest in decades. You can go young and lose for a year....save cap space and then sign guys in 2019 if you want to be a mediocre team. There is doing what 76ers did and that is jettison any decent player for years...sign guys and stash over seas...sign guys that can't play because of injuries and be like 70 million below the cap. I'm just saying dont waste cap on mediocre guys to get a 8 seed. I'm patient I don't mind going young for a year and then putting that cap space to use on a star and taking a step back to take two forward. Having a plan is one thing...I'm not saying get rid of everyone and trying to lose every game. Just choose a path that we have a better chance to draft a PG or another Myles instead being in a spot for next 5 years to sign the next TJ Leaf and Tyler Hansboroughs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

dg;

You cant say in retrospect..that the Cavs lost intentionally to get LeBron.

They didn't know LeBron was coming.

Most 1st round draft choices are average players. A few are your lightning in a bottle..

Check last year's draft

....In the NBA you sign free agents or get young guys on their 2nd or 3rd contract...

Like Hayward...Like Durant...Like Paul George

Draft 19 year olds and you are the Lakers and the Sixers

 

Note that when Monta and Big Al end their time with us this coming year.

..we will have significant cap space

Yet we won't be a destination for elite talent in FA so that cap sure is a big help 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Of course. 2018 is one of the strongest in decades. You can go young and lose for a year....save cap space and then sign guys in 2019 if you want to be a mediocre team. There is doing what 76ers did and that is jettison any decent player for years...sign guys and stash over seas...sign guys that can't play because of injuries and be like 70 million below the cap. I'm just saying dont waste cap on mediocre guys to get a 8 seed. I'm patient I don't mind going young for a year and then putting that cap space to use on a star and taking a step back to take two forward. Having a plan is one thing...I'm not saying get rid of everyone and trying to lose every game. Just choose a path that we have a better chance to draft a PG or another Myles instead being in a spot for next 5 years to sign the next TJ Leaf and Tyler Hansboroughs

Where was Paul George drafted...

Kawhi Leonard...Jimmy Butler.

 

You need to acquire players..You don't have to draft them in the top 10.

You may not be saying lose every game but some here are...obviously

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Folks Love picks until you put a name on them and they play a year.

Victor Oladipo was a lottery pick.

Everyone here liked him...until we acquired him

VO was drafted way to high the night he was drafted quit trying to twist this to help you we want the next game changers VO was not one on draft night no matter how stupid the magic were to take him 2nd overall

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yet we won't be a destination for elite talent in FA so that cap sure is a big help 

Then..in your world CF.....,,,what should we did...

WE should lose 82 games to get top players who wont stay anyway because we're not a 'destinaton'

 

...The problem with the 76ers is 'They eventually will have to pay these 'process' players max deals or they will go to a 'destination'  .

Then what?

 

Its better to try to make the postseason every year and get your shot in the conference

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Then..in your world CF.....,,,what should we did...

WE should lose 82 games to get top players who wont stay anyway because we're not a 'destinaton'

 

...The problem with the 76ers is 'They eventually will have to pay these 'process' players max deals or they will go to a 'destination'  .

Then what?

 

Its better to try to make the postseason every year and get your shot in the conference

 

They would want to stay if our stupid FO would learn to keep building instead of going all in every year we get past the 2nd round of the playoffs 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

VO was drafted way to high the night he was drafted quit trying to twist this tobjelp you we want the next game changers VO was not one on draft night no matter how stupid the magic were to take him 2nd overall

But he was a lottery pick..You cant change history...in hindsight 

DeAngelo Russell was the No.2 pick in the draft

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

dg;

You cant say in retrospect..that the Cavs lost intentionally to get LeBron.

They didn't know LeBron was coming.

Most 1st round draft choices are average players. A few are your lightning in a bottle..

Check last year's draft

....In the NBA you sign free agents or get young guys on their 2nd or 3rd contract...

Like Hayward...Like Durant...Like Paul George

Draft 19 year olds and you are the Lakers and the Sixers

 

Note that when Monta and Big Al end their time with us this coming year.

..we will have significant cap space

Yes because PG was never a 19 year old. Melo, Durant, Westbrook, love, Heyward etc. everyone gets drafted...most elite in lottery...it's a fact Mark.

 

fyi stupid bird has us still on the Hook for al and Monta for two more years at 10 million and 11 plus million year a piece....remember CURRY made only 11 million last year too. Sorry we will have to ship sweeteners with them to get a team to take them....we have 20 plus million wasted for a couple years. Just hope we don't waste the 30 million we have free now on crap deals trying to "not tank" and get an 8th seed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, oldunclemark said:

But he was a lottery pick..You cant change history...in hindsight 

DeAngelo Russell was the No.2 pick in the draft

I'm not using hindsight I said the night he was drafted it was stupid of the magic to reach for him 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Folks Love picks until you put a name on them and they play a year.

Victor Oladipo was a lottery pick.

Everyone here liked him...until we acquired him

Rather have another player like him than a guy like Young who we traded for to compete last year or end up in the back of the draft for a guy like Leaf.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

But what would you do..You NEVER say

Keep our picks for one instead of trading them away for players to go all in we always are full of over aged vets that cost to much it's a problem and if we are struggling one year and youbknoe you won't make the playoffs don't fight for a better record just move on to the draft and take the better draft choice it's ignorant to screw your draft pick for meaningless games 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yes because PG was never a 19 year old. Melo, Durant, Westbrook, love, Heyward etc. everyone gets drafted...most elite in lottery...it's a fact Mark.

 

fyi stupid bird has us still on the Hook for al and Monta for two more years at 10 million and 11 plus million year a piece....remember CURRY made only 11 million last year too. Sorry we will have to ship sweeteners with them to get a team to take them....we have 20 plus million wasted for a couple years. Just hope we don't waste the 30 million we have free now on crap deals trying to "not tank" and get an 8th seed.

But lottery picks are mostly not stars. That's also a fact. Durant didn't win in OKC

I say again. Get guys on their 2nd or third contract. Like we did Friday night.

Oladipo is good. Its not hop. And he could be better now not playing with the MVP

 

Sabonis is perfect. He served his apprenticeship with OKC. Now, he's ready to roll.

All players get drafted but they all don't get drafted at age 19..which is the lottery

 

I want the 8th seed.....20-62....'No tanks'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Rather have another player like him than a guy like Young who we traded for to compete last year or end up in the back of the draft for a guy like Leaf.

Assuming you mean Thad Young.....I agree.

WE got him when we had Paul George.......I;m sure hell go to a contender.

 

..and lets see Leaf play before we talk him down...'a guy like Leaf? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Keep our picks for one instead of trading them away for players to go all in we always are full of over aged vets that cost to much it's a problem and if we are struggling one year and youbknoe you won't make the playoffs don't fight for a better record just move on to the draft and take the better draft choice it's ignorant to screw your draft pick for meaningless games 

So in your world..on your team.....you don't try to make the post-season...???????

You tell the fans....We are the 'CF Flyers'!!'

WE don't ever want to play those meaningless playoff games!!!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Keep our picks for one instead of trading them away for players to go all in we always are full of over aged vets that cost to much it's a problem and if we are struggling one year and youbknoe you won't make the playoffs don't fight for a better record just move on to the draft and take the better draft choice it's ignorant to screw your draft pick for meaningless games 

 

I do agree with this part.

 

Last time the Pacers did that for a five year stretch we get Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, and Paul George. Then we start to trade them away and PG and Myles Turner were the only first round picks on the roster this past season.

 

I don't think that they need to be drafting in the top 5, though. That seems to be a popular belief among fans. Sure, if you get lucky and that particular draft has a Tim Duncan or Lebron James then it completely changes your franchise but a lot of drafts have a Michael Olowokandi or Anthony Bennett. The Warriors built their championship team picking in the 5-10 range for a few years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, oldunclemark said:

But lottery picks are mostly not stars. That's also a fact. Durant didn't win in OKC

I say again. Get guys on their 2nd or third contract. Like we did Friday night.

Oladipo is good. Its not hop. And he could be better now not playing with the MVP

 

Sabonis is perfect. He served his apprenticeship with OKC. Now, he's ready to roll.

All players get drafted but they all don't get drafted at age 19..which is the lottery

 

I want the 8th seed.....20-62....'No tanks'

Fine...you want expensive avg guys on their second contracts. I'd like to get them young....mold them and have their Bird rights. Id take young draft picks than al Jefferson, Monta Ellis, and Stuckey any day of the week. To each their own.

 

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

 

read this article...fact is your best chance for stars is to tank. I like my chance if I am a good evaluator to find a star then some bad GMs. If I'm Pritchard I have faith in my team to recognize talent and not draft Darko over Melo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm not using hindsight I said the night he was drafted it was stupid of the magic to reach for him 

Ben McLemore was a lottery pick.  Most lottery picks are average

Otto Porter was a lottery pick

 

..and what you say on a message board is irrelevant/ You know that, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Luck is Good said:

I hope the Pacers lose most of their games next year. They need a top 5 pick

..and when that Top 5 pick gets them to .500 and they have to sign him ..

....what...we trade him for more picks and lose again because we're the 8th seed???

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I hope the Pacers lose most of their games next year. They need a top 5 pick

I agree and I think we will. The trade we just made was terrible and I am a very positive person in general. If we go into the season with the Roster we have now, we will be a lottery team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

..and when that Top 5 pick gets them to .500 and they have to sign him ..

....what...we trade him for more picks and lose again because we're the 8th seed???

 

 

You just don't understand so it's irrelevant to try to talk to you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Fine...you want expensive avg guys on their second contracts. I'd like to get them young....mold them and have their Bird rights. Id take young draft picks than al Jefferson, Monta Ellis, and Stuckey any day of the week. To each their own.

 

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

 

read this article...fact is your best chance for stars is to tank. I like my chance if I am a good evaluator to find a star then some bad GMs. If I'm Pritchard I have faith in my team to recognize talent and not draft Darko over Melo.

I'm saying you don't tank and draft well..but you build your team with the guys on 2nd or 3rd deals..

 

This does not accept that the game (and the draft) has changed.

Question: Last season....which No.1 draft choice made an impact. Answer: None.

What if you'd have tanked to get into the lottery and you end up with nothing.

You'd tank again, right?  That road goes nowhere

 

You cant run a professional franchise that way.

You have a fan base. You have a responsibility to try to make the post-season.

You owe it to the fans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree and I think we will. The trade we just made was terrible and I am very positive person in general. If we go into the season with the Roster we have now, we will be a lottery team.

I hope you're right but I've got a feeling they'll either be the 8 seed or barely miss the postseason. Either one of those scenarios would be catastrophic. Purgatory is what those scenarios would be

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

I try to stay away from the "we". I used to say that but it's not really "we" because I'm not on the team

I NEVER stay away from 'we'.

The Pacers and Colts are my teams....

I'm not trying to pretend they're not....I'm not going to root for another team if they lose..

..I'm not going to hope they lose...

 

I'm with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Fans who want the home team to lose will still complain and whine every day when it happens

Not really. I wanted IU basketball to lose as much as possible the last few years. And it got them a new coach. A coach that will actually succeed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

lmao I actually don't but you guys are making me laugh so don't ignore, please. As long as you guys keep it clean the Mods will leave you alone as well. Colt_12 and Mark are real entertaining.

we're here all week...2 shows on Saturday!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • in 61 games he has missed 10 to injury.... including the first 2 weeks and this upcoming game.... so before this off season he had missed 7 games in 58... that isnt all that terrible.
    • Week 1- We should have beaten Houston without him... did We? Week2- We surley could've beaten Jags without him....Did we? Week3- Nobody knows if we going too lose regardless.... I say we win sunday!!   Even if we win doesn't make this team better than the tie and loss we just had the past 2 weeks.. IMO   Lmao....
    • I dont gamble.... like ever... but chiefs are only 5.5 point favored? I'l take the Chiefs to cover that for $1,000 please Alex.
    • I only meant... at least he would have been available to play
    • Easily a 1. We've had a large enough sample size with Ballard and Reich to now know this isn't just an exception to the rule. This is the norm. We won't put up 0 points again because Pittman and Pierce are back, so the offense will probably put up 10 points or so, but I have no interest in watching this team get beat by 3 TDs by a vastly superior QB when our GM is just getting band-aids at QB for us.    It also seems every QB that is on another team that was with us is doing better or got worse here under Reich. That's not to mention I know there will be some stupid playcalling that will handicap us even worse in an already difficult game. I went to the casino today and tripled my money in a poker tourney ($50 to $150). I may go back and try to do the same tomorrow after setting my fantasy lineups.    There comes a time when you have to say enough is enough. I'm doing that with this team until Reich is fired (and I'm hoping Ballard too). They want to always be the smartest guys in the room, even if it goes against conventional wisdom. I love this team and will always be a fan, but I'm not married to it. I don't have an obligation to watch every week. They aren't my family or friends.    Hoping for a miracle, but i won't watch this week to find out.
  • Members

    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 4,691

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Maniac53

      Maniac53 112

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MPStack

      MPStack 5,614

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • B~Town

      B~Town 305

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Misty_B

      Misty_B 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • AustinnKaine

      AustinnKaine 1,603

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nesjan3

      Nesjan3 1,677

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dobbinblitz

      Dobbinblitz 203

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chucklez

      Chucklez 689

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cptcomeback

      cptcomeback 11

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...