Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Irsay Should Announce Intention Before March 1

TubaGuy

I find it interesting that the "Peyton" decision might not be announced until after March 1st. Everyone is focusing on March 8 because of the bonus situation. To me, March 1 is just as big...particularly for season ticket holders. That is the date that season tickets need to be renewed. I think Irsay owes it to the fan base, particularly the season ticket holders who have supported this team for years, to arrive at a decision before March 1. Personally, there is no way that we would NOT renew...in fact, we already have. But I also think that it is only fair for the STH base to know what they are looking at in terms of the next few seasons...

Just my 2 cents' worth.

I'm sure he would, and personally I agree. But I know there are plenty of people who might disagree with that point of view. I'm just saying that as a "nod" to the fan base, particularly the STHs, it wouldn't hurt to have the decision announced by March 1.

I find it interesting that the "Peyton" decision might not be announced until after March 1st. Everyone is focusing on March 8 because of the bonus situation. To me, March 1 is just as big...particularly for season ticket holders. That is the date that season tickets need to be renewed. I think Irsay owes it to the fan base, particularly the season ticket holders who have supported this team for years, to arrive at a decision before March 1. Personally, there is no way that we would NOT renew...in fact, we already have. But I also think that it is only fair for the STH base to know what they are looking at in terms of the next few seasons...

Just my 2 cents' worth.

I would imagine Irsay has taken this into account and will make an announcement before the 8th.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

That's a very good point....

My fear is that if we do not resign Manning...there's no point in signing Saturday, Wayne or keeping Clark..

Those guys are tied to Peyton and play better with him..

Our offense is at expansion-team level without those 3...

I'd hesistate to pay for another 2-14.

a healthy Manning virtually guarantees 10-6

Just my 2 cents' worth.

I don't see the point unless you wanna weed out the Manning fans and get true Colts fans in those seats. Check the ticket website and craigslist and you'll find a ton of people already bailing on the team selling their season ticket rights.

I would imagine Irsay has taken this into account and will make an announcement before the 8th.

I think you missed my point. Yes, the date for the bonus is March 8th. But the date for STHs renewing is March 1. I'm simply saying that it would be nice for STHs to renew knowing whether or not Peyton (and other players directly tied to him) will be part of the Colts equation going forward.

That's a very good point....

My fear is that if we do not resign Manning...there's no point in signing Saturday, Wayne or keeping Clark..

Those guys are tied to Peyton and play better with him..

Our offense is at expansion-team level without those 3...

O

I'd hesistate to pay for another 2-14.

a healthy Manning virtually guarantees 10-6

Why would you hesitate? Take the bad with the good

Why would you hesitate? Take the bad with the good

Why would you hesitate $$$$$$ My friends that have season tickets have great ones to the tune of over 1,000.00 per ticket and maybe they are thinking that's a lot of $$$$$$ to pay don't know but they have carried these tickets for a long time (since the Colts came to Indy) and I haven't ask them if they are renewing or not.

I don't see the point unless you wanna weed out the Manning fans and get true Colts fans in those seats. Check the ticket website and craigslist and you'll find a ton of people already bailing on the team selling their season ticket rights.

I didn't think you could sell your season ticket rights with the Colts having a waiting list. Well I guess I learned something today. Thanks for the info.

The Colts get a cut of the money so they don't care about the waiting list.

Well at one time I ask my friend and I think she said thay had to turn their rights back to the Colts. Surely someone that has tickets can answer this for sure. Hey Tuba Guy can you answer this question?

Don't get me wrong. We have already renewed our tickets. For us, we are Colts fans, no matter who is on the field. But there are a LOT of fans that could make their decision to renew based on what goes down in the next few weeks. And yes, there are plenty of people on the waiting list. But I think Irsay could do himself a small favor by making this decision when it could make a difference to the fans.

I don't have season tickets....

I'd love to see the night Luck debuts and Manning returns next August..

..but if you tell me the Colts wont have Manning, Wayne, Clark, Saturday and Mathis next year.....

..and we're rebuilding....I dont know..

There are 2 reason to go....to see the Colts...

To see winning football or, since that cant be promised.....

To at least see the guys you've followed all these years. Your favorite players...

Take away the winning and the favorites...and why go?

Well at one time I ask my friend and I think she said thay had to turn their rights back to the Colts. Surely someone that has tickets can answer this for sure. Hey Tuba Guy can you answer this question?

I'm not 100% certain myself, but I do think you can transfer your seats to someone of your choosing. But they might need to be existing season ticket holders.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Tuba, I agree with you. But, if they're planning on cutting Peyton, this may be the very reason why they wouldn't announce it before March 1st.

Its on the Colts website Susie. You can bid on season ticket rights. The price you pay is not for the tickets but only the rights to those tickets. After you pay the ticket holder for the rights they have to give like 5% or something to the Colts of their profit. Then when the time comes you have to pay for your tickets.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

I agree with you but i also disagree too.

I agree because by march 1st the combine would have already passed and they will know for sure which QB their going to draft but will be guarenteed when they do the player interviews.

dont agree because irsay wants to give manning the full time to try to get healthy (which we all know wont happen) but i dont believe he owes it to anyone aslong as he is taking this time focusing on the issue with manning.

who knows, maybe the decision will come this week. isnt manning and irsay meeting this week?

I'm not 100% certain myself, but I do think you can transfer your seats to someone of your choosing. But they might need to be existing season ticket holders.

You can sell/transfer your ticket rights to anyone and the Colts don't get a cut unless you sell them through the season ticket rights exchange on the Colts website. There is however a $100 transfer fee the the Colts organization does get.

Its on the Colts website Susie. You can bid on season ticket rights. The price you pay is not for the tickets but only the rights to those tickets. After you pay the ticket holder for the rights they have to give like 5% or something to the Colts of their profit. Then when the time comes you have to pay for your tickets.

Thanks for clearing this up because I wasn't sure what exactly my friend said except something about rights. :thanks:

I doubt he will unless Peyton Manning forces his hand. Frankly I think it's probably in the Colts best interest to wait till after March 1st because then the STH have to lock themselves in. If they release Peyton Manning right before that date there is going to be a huge backlash that will probably result in a good chunk of people not renewing their season tickets. If he does it after March 1st those people have to one wait a year to give them a chance to get over it and two it gives them a chance to see what the new Colts look like and realize maybe with a new coach and Andrew Luck as QB that maybe the new Colts while they wont be the Peyton Manning Colts might be entertaining to watch.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

From an owner's point of view, would that not be the very reason to wait until AFTER March 1?

I think you missed my point. Yes, the date for the bonus is March 8th. But the date for STHs renewing is March 1. I'm simply saying that it would be nice for STHs to renew knowing whether or not Peyton (and other players directly tied to him) will be part of the Colts equation going forward.

I understand your point and hope he has taken this into account.

From an owner's point of view, would that not be the very reason to wait until AFTER March 1?

That's kinda the point I was making. From a purely business standpoint, I understand why he would want to wait. From the fans perspective, it would really upset a lot of STHs. I see both sides of the issue, but from a community and "Colts Nation" goodwill standpoint, Irsay would be better to do it before March 1.

That's kinda the point I was making. From a purely business standpoint, I understand why he would want to wait. From the fans perspective, it would really upset a lot of STHs. I see both sides of the issue, but from a community and "Colts Nation" goodwill standpoint, Irsay would be better to do it before March 1.

Doubtful. Most fans aren't going to go oh hey Jim Irsay was nice and let us know he was cutting Peyton Manning before the season tickets were due how thoughtful. There will be more fans who just cancel their season tickets out of anger which will hurt Irsay's pocketbook. The smart business move on his part is to wait till after season tickets are due to release Peyton so that the backlash doesn't impact season ticket sales.

Ok plain and simple. Peyton is the Colts. There is no amount of "Luck" to replace #18. Even if Peyton doesn't play he is owed the money. He earned it already. I remember back to the song before PM's arrival on Q95 "Lord help our Colts". We r just an average team without him. If the Dr. cleared him for full contact, then there is no question that he should remain a colt. I would rather lose with him than lose without him. Irsay seems to be falling in his dads footsteps with all of the hush hush.

I for one wish they would make a decision by March 1st because I think, as a season ticket holder, I want to know what there plan is going forward. Now with that said, everything depends on if Manning is healthy or will be healthy by training camp. Your best chance to win is to trade that #1 pick and get multiple players for that pick. Look, Manning makes everyone better by being on the field. This team needs multiple picks to fill several pieces. This team will not win for several years if they go the Luck route. This team needs players now not by sucking for three to four years.

You can't tell me releasing the greatest QB to ever play the game, if he's healthy and can play 3 to 4 more years, for an a rookie QB is there best option. To me, as I have said, trade the pick, get a RB, a WR some defensive players, keep your offensive prowless like the Pats and build the defense. Draft a QB to develop for 3 to 4 years. You have time to do that. If the Pats can get to the Super Bowl with no defense the Colts can too if you have the greatest QB to play the game on your team.

When Mr. Irsay throws the perfect season, tells us time and time again that Manning will be a Colt for his entire career, I have to start loosing faith in his word. When the guy that built your new stadium, brought the Super Bowl to Indianapolis, put his name on a hospital is no longer in the picture because he gets hurt after not missing 1 freaking game in 13 season's, there's a problem. Quit blowing smoke, 50% of Peyton Manning is better than 85% of all the QB's in the NFL and if healty he can remain the poster child of the NFL for 3 to 4 more years and leave the right way.

Please tell me my 16 years of being a STH means more than a thanks for your money but you don't matter we need to free up money and releasing one of the biggest icons in sports, is just a money decision and our best option as an organization moving forward. I would rather watch Manning for 3 to 4 more years even if we are losing because when he plays we always have a chance to win.

The players are the ones who make this league not the owners, my loyality is to Peyton and I think after all he has done for our city and the Colts he derserves ours.

Let me say that I have been a Colts fan for over fifty years through thick and thin.....I have gone to numerous Colts games in Indianapolis and other cities. Heck, my 17 year old son is named Colt. I have been a big supporter of Mr. Irsay and have believed in his character and integrity.....however.....he has stated again and again that Peyton Manning....if he is healthy enough to play in the NFL....WILL play as an Indianapolis Colt. He has stated that the 28 million dollars is no big deal if Peyton is healthy. Please.....Please....Mr. Irsay....don't go back on your word....for a buisness decision or not.....Your WORD is your WORD......your character and your integrity (i hope i spelled that right)......stand on it.

Doubtful. Most fans aren't going to go oh hey Jim Irsay was nice and let us know he was cutting Peyton Manning before the season tickets were due how thoughtful. There will be more fans who just cancel their season tickets out of anger which will hurt Irsay's pocketbook. The smart business move on his part is to wait till after season tickets are due to release Peyton so that the backlash doesn't impact season ticket sales.

Completely agree. The fans that are going to be mad are going to be mad no matter when he does it. Irsay is >>>ed unless he brings Manning back because there is a large contingent of Peyton Manning fans mascerading as Colts fans. If they are season ticket holders they are not going to change their mind because Irsay did it earlier. They will just be mad Irsay did not pick up Peyton's option.

Now his overall public perception could take a hit if he did wait. Everyone puts up Irsay has one of the good owners in the league that does righ by his fans, but holding out till after season tickets are in and cutting Manning could make him look really bad in the public eye.