Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Rg3 Over Luck Because Of Sit Time Behind Peyton?

Can Luck really throw the ball 70 yards as reported but not seen yet? Can RG3 operate a pro style offense and read defenses? I think those are the questions I want answered but neither one will probably get answered until they actually play. For my money, you take Luck. I have never seen a pass in a game (that was caught) longer than 65 yard pass Vick threw to Desean Jackson against the Redskins. That is why the strongest arm thing is so over rated. All Luck needs to do is throw accurately in the 50-60 range and I'm pretty sure he can do that. RG3 has a lot more to learn than Luck. We know his physical ability, but it's always a crapshoot when guessing someone's ability to learn the pro style when they have never ran it.

No way! I wouldn't take RG3 at the #10 spot, but thats my opinion. There are numerous questions about Griffin IMO and he will not translate easily to the NFL. He will struggle longer than Luck will even if he sits for a few yrs. behind Manning. Luck will struggle too if he starts from day one but it will be a much easier transition for him and he will have success relitively early.

Can Luck really throw the ball 70 yards as reported but not seen yet? Can RG3 operate a pro style offense and read defenses? I think those are the questions I want answered but neither one will probably get answered until they actually play. For my money, you take Luck. I have never seen a pass in a game (that was caught) longer than 65 yard pass Vick threw to Desean Jackson against the Redskins. That is why the strongest arm thing is so over rated. All Luck needs to do is throw accurately in the 50-60 range and I'm pretty sure he can do that. RG3 has a lot more to learn than Luck. We know his physical ability, but it's always a crapshoot when guessing someone's ability to learn the pro style when they have never ran it.

I suggest you check out the video I posted in the Sport Science:Andrew Luck thread in this section of threads. In it, you will see Andrew Luck launch a 50-yard pass into a 5 yard window to his receiver between 2 defenders, while falling down (no use of his feet to generate the power to pass).

Enjoy.

RG3 has stated in the Robert Gottlieb radio show that he would sit on the bench gladly because of his respect and admiration for Manning and that he didn't want to be the guy that sent Peyton packing.

http://espn.go.com/e...play?id=7451876

Andrew Luck has stated that he would rather start in an interview today.

http://espn.go.com/n...play-right-away

How would you feel if Mr. Irsay decides to draft RG3 over Luck because of RG3's stated willingness to sit behind Peyton, and Luck's stated desire to start?

Personally I want a kid who wants to compete ... not one who is willing to just "give" a job to a vet. because he feels he "deserves" it... Peyton Manning or not, I want a kid to go out and try his best to put Manning on the bench.

Didn't we go through this with Caldwell?

That quote by RG3 tells me he is happy to be be where he is ... And I don't care for that ...

No you wanna replace a ticked off 36 yr old Peyton who has at the very least 4 years left...no I won't no part if that...

That simply CANNOT be assumed at this time.

And if his nerve regeneration hasn't completely healed 100% by March 8th and a contract restructure absolutely cannot be done under the new CBA.... then Peyton should be released or we will absorb a 17 million dollar cap hit with no guarantees.... and THAT is just for 2013.

How can we call it "giving up" Peyton Manning when he is simply has not had 100% recovery from this surgery?

As for Luck vs RGIII.... you're entitled to your opinion, but right now basic Draft Day strategy dictates that RGIII can be had at a lower spot than #1 overall, Andrew Luck cannot.

IMO....RGIII's true value is between #10 - #15, but we know that QBs, especially with the new rookie cap, will get pumped well higher than non-QB prospects due to the reduced financial risk.

But if I were Jim Irsay and nothing changes between today and March 8th.... I'd release Manning and draft Luck.

Personally I want a kid who wants to compete ... not one who is willing to just "give" a job to a vet. because he feels he "deserves" it... Peyton Manning or not, I want a kid to go out and try his best to put Manning on the bench.

Didn't we go through this with Caldwell?

That quote by RG3 tells me he is happy to be be where he is ... And I don't care for that ...

Well Luck recently said this week he would embrace a chance to learn from Peyton Manning so what does that say about him?

I think RG3 and Luck are both smart enough to know that no NFL team is going to make them a starter over Peyton as a rookie.

Also RG3 is trying to do anything he can to make himself the top draft pick probably because being the top draft pick means more money (nothing wrong with that). When he said that Luck had not said much of anything about rather he would sit behind Manning or not so I am sure he knew throwing that out there couldn't hurt him and might only help him because if Luck had come out and said I wont go to Indy with Manning and RG3 is going I'll sit it would help his cause to be drafted first overall and he knows that.

Since then Luck has come out and seemed to say that hey he wants to start but if he has to learn from Manning he'll do that. Really I think RG3 and Luck are saying about the samething. I am sure both want to start but if they come to Indy and Manning is here they'll understand that he's the better player right now and try to learn everything they can from him which is about all you could ask for a guy in that poistion.

I mean what do you want them to say? I am better than Peyton Manning I should be the starter if I go there and he should be my back up? Then people would be all over them for being cocky and unrealistic.

Well Luck recently said this week he would embrace a chance to learn from Peyton Manning so what does that say about him?

Yes, Luck did say that, and RG3 said he would gladly sit behind PM.

However, only Luck said that he would rather start. RG3 did not say that.

I think RG3 and Luck are both smart enough to know that no NFL team is going to make them a starter over Peyton as a rookie.

This is irrelevant, because there is only one NFL team that has PM under contract (as of now), and that team is the Colts. We also know that PM is rehabbing from 3 neck surgeries, and it is uncertain that he can be back to any acceptable level of performance. Therefore, there is, theoretically, some probability that the Colts may make either a starter over PM, even as a rookie.

Also RG3 is trying to do anything he can to make himself the top draft pick probably because being the top draft pick means more money (nothing wrong with that). When he said that Luck had not said much of anything about rather he would sit behind Manning or not so I am sure he knew throwing that out there couldn't hurt him and might only help him because if Luck had come out and said I wont go to Indy with Manning and RG3 is going I'll sit it would help his cause to be drafted first overall and he knows that.

Since then Luck has come out and seemed to say that hey he wants to start but if he has to learn from Manning he'll do that. Really I think RG3 and Luck are saying about the samething. I am sure both want to start but if they come to Indy and Manning is here they'll understand that he's the better player right now and try to learn everything they can from him which is about all you could ask for a guy in that poistion.

I mean what do you want them to say? I am better than Peyton Manning I should be the starter if I go there and he should be my back up? Then people would be all over them for being cocky and unrealistic.

I think Luck providing both statements that he would rather start, but will accept learning behind Manning, is more open and honest than what RG3 said. I seriously doubt that RG3 does not have that fire to want to be the starter.

Yes, Luck did say that, and RG3 said he would gladly sit behind PM.

However, only Luck said that he would rather start. RG3 did not say that.

I think it's implied...

I don't think RG3 felt like he needed to say it. I mean like Luck said what player doesn't want to play? He was just trying to get it out there that he wouldn't have an issue with sitting behind Peyton if he needed too.

This is irrelevant, because there is only one NFL team that has PM under contract (as of now), and that team is the Colts. We also know that PM is rehabbing from 3 neck surgeries, and it is uncertain that he can be back to any acceptable level of performance. Therefore, there is, theoretically, some probability that the Colts may make either a starter over PM, even as a rookie.

I am talking about a healthy Peyton Manning. I really don't think either one of them expects to start over a healthy Peyton Manning so what do you want them to say? They can either say I don't want to go there if Peyton is healthy or I would be happy to sit and learn from him. Both seem to have elected to say the later.

I think Luck providing both statements that he would rather start, but will accept learning behind Manning, is more honest than what RG3 said. I seriously doubt that RG3 does not have that fire to want to be the starter.

Which is the point I was making.

First off to those thinking trade with Cleveland and take RG3 at # 4, well that is nifty and all but what about the very real likelihood that a QB needy teams moves up to # 2 or # 3 to get him? If the Colts want RG3, they take him at # 1. Simple as that.

And secondly, it won't matter anyway that may not want to sit behind 18 once Manning is released later this month.

First off to those thinking trade with Cleveland and take RG3 at # 4, well that is nifty and all but what about the very real likelihood that a QB needy teams moves up to # 2 or # 3 to get him? If the Colts want RG3, they take him at # 1. Simple as that.

And secondly, it won't matter anyway that may not want to sit behind 18 once Manning is released later this month.

Maybe. But id say that if the Colts wanted RG3 they could easily take Luck with the 1st, keep the phones open and then look to trade down for RG3.

Maybe. But id say that if the Colts wanted RG3 they could easily take Luck with the 1st, keep the phones open and then look to trade down for RG3.

So they take Luck, fully intending to trade him in order to get RG3, who will most likely be taken with the 2nd pick?

No they would just take him first overall. People are already thinking that someone is going to trade with the Rams to move up to number two to get RG3. It makes no sense to draft a guy turn around trade him and then have to turn around trade pretty much what you just got to move back one spot to take another guy at the same poistion.

Also this isn't the NBA you don't see players rights traded in the NFL very often. Normally the only time you see it happen is if someone forces a trade like Elway or Eli did. If Luck doesn't want to be here then the Colts will probably just take RG3 and let Luck fall to number two in the draft. You trade the picks not the rights to the player in the NFL. It's my understanding in the NBA for the most they do that because the NBA draft happens before the start of a new NBA year so they can't offically make the trade till after the draft. In the NFL you don't have that problem. The draft comes after the start of a new league year.

you and i do not agree on very much, it seems...but this is one thing i definitely agree with....if you have the rights to the #1 pick and do not trade the pick away, you HAVE to take Luck. Using the #1 pick on anyone else would be beyond crazy.

This.

You take Luck if you stay at #1.

It's really it right there. If you move down or trade the pick you have options.

I would vomit all over myself if the team was dumb enough to spend the first on Griffin and I doubt they would though.

Ohhhh if only we knew helping was actually going to be physically. this would be such an easy draft. what's the news emphasis on defense who knows what we would be able to get. as far as quarterback goes the colts will take luck. Though I'm not sure if that is the correct move . when speaking about athletic quarterbacks coming out of college let's not forget about me quarterback name cam newton. seems there were quite a few nay sayers. And what did he do? just have the greatest rookie season for quarterback for a team it wasn't considered a passing team.the league is evolving and the colts will have to evolve too. but I'm pretty sure the colts will still gonna take andrew luck and let peyton go.

RG3 has stated in the Robert Gottlieb radio show that he would sit on the bench gladly because of his respect and admiration for Manning and that he didn't want to be the guy that sent Peyton packing.

How would you feel if Mr. Irsay decides to draft RG3 over Luck because of RG3's stated willingness to sit behind Peyton, and Luck's stated desire to start?

eh....i hated this topic and was all for luck after the season ended figured all the hype on luck and how much he is being compared to how manning was in college but after his recent comments on how he wants to start right away and here go ladies and gentleman and it kinda showed me alittle immaturity " I need to talk to my dad and figure out what i want " sorry but kinda reminds me of an Eli/ARchie situation a few years ago when Archie didnt want eli in san diego but in new york and id hate to see another Elway incident happen and we be stuck with out a QB.

so after all that being said, if the colts do bring back manning for next season I say RG3. hes being said to be better then Cam Newton and Michael Vick ever was in college and alot more mature then those two were coming out of college, if thats the case im all for it. although im not a big fan of the type of QB who out runs his RB's but in a west coast offense this could be an advantage. so that being said again Im all for it. Draft RG3 if you bring back mannning irsay and this is how you can do it. ready for this blockbuster?

Draft Luck, wait until the 4th pick make a deal with the browns in a QB swap, Send Luck to Cleveland for RG3 (4th pick) their other 1st round pick, a second round pick and next years first round pick. how does that sound?

luck=oklahoma state=lost 41-38, rg3=oklahoma state= lost 24-59

luck=washington=win 65-21, rg3=washington=win 67-56

only teams both players played last year...imo by the scores of the games luck is the better man

you cant base how good these QB's are by scores. last i checked QB's dont play defense, the only thing they play is offense and have no effect on the oppenents when it comes to scoring.

eh....i hated this topic and was all for luck after the season ended figured all the hype on luck and how much he is being compared to how manning was in college but after his recent comments on how he wants to start right away and here go ladies and gentleman and it kinda showed me alittle immaturity " I need to talk to my dad and figure out what i want " sorry but kinda reminds me of an Eli/ARchie situation a few years ago when Archie didnt want eli in san diego but in new york and id hate to see another Elway incident happen and we be stuck with out a QB.

so after all that being said, if the colts do bring back manning for next season I say RG3. hes being said to be better then Cam Newton and Michael Vick ever was in college and alot more mature then those two were coming out of college, if thats the case im all for it. although im not a big fan of the type of QB who out runs his RB's but in a west coast offense this could be an advantage. so that being said again Im all for it. Draft RG3 if you bring back mannning irsay and this is how you can do it. ready for this blockbuster?

Draft Luck, wait until the 4th pick make a deal with the browns in a QB swap, Send Luck to Cleveland for RG3 (4th pick) their other 1st round pick, a second round pick and next years first round pick. how does that sound?

I think it would be a big mistake.

You never give away the future franchise QB for a lessor QB and a bunch of picks.

You draft and you keep the future franchise QB you want.

If he doesn't want to play for your franchise (Eli, Elway), that's another story.

However, given the current situation, he has not provided that statement.

All he has said is that he, like all good competitors, want to play right away as a starter.

I would be highly disappointed if anyone I drafted would not want to be a starter, and instead be content to sit on the bench.

This.

You take Luck if you stay at #1.

It's really it right there. If you move down or trade the pick you have options.

I would vomit all over myself if the team was dumb enough to spend the first on Griffin and I doubt they would though.

I beg to differ on that. you dont necesarily have to take Luck. because even RG3 by some analyst has been projected as a number 1 draft pick. and sorry but for a QB who says he wants to start right away but needs to talk to his DAD about sitting under manning if the colts bring him back is not mature enough and shows he cant make decisions on his own...MEANING he was nothing like peyton manning in college as some like to compare him. it reminds me of possibly another Eli/Rivers situation a few years ago where Mannings dad stepped in and said he didnt want eli in san diego. but the best thing to do would be to draft luck, trade him to cleveland when the 4th pick comes up, draft RG3 get the browns other 1st round pick, and second round pick and next years first round pick and there you have it its set

you cant base how good these QB's are by scores. last i checked QB's dont play defense, the only thing they play is offense and have no effect on the oppenents when it comes to scoring.

So comparing offensive numbers:

OSU: Luck put up 38 pts. RG3 put up 24 pts.

Wash: Luck put up 65 pts. RG3 put up 67 pts.

I beg to differ on that. you dont necesarily have to take Luck. because even RG3 by some analyst has been projected as a number 1 draft pick. and sorry but for a QB who says he wants to start right away but needs to talk to his DAD about sitting under manning if the colts bring him back is not mature enough and shows he cant make decisions on his own...MEANING he was nothing like peyton manning in college as some like to compare him. it reminds me of possibly another Eli/Rivers situation a few years ago where Mannings dad stepped in and said he didnt want eli in san diego. but the best thing to do would be to draft luck, trade him to cleveland when the 4th pick comes up, draft RG3 get the browns other 1st round pick, and second round pick and next years first round pick and there you have it its set

If RGIII is projected to be such a high draft pick, then why would the browns want to trade so much to get Luck? Why wouldn't they stay at #4 and draft RGIII?

So they take Luck, fully intending to trade him in order to get RG3, who will most likely be taken with the 2nd pick?

I highly doubt anyone will move up to the second pick. not with what the rams are asking for. this years 1st rounder, next years 1st rounder, 2013 and 2014 first rounders with second rounders in there too. no one is going to be that dumb to do that to get a QB. it would be team suicide, you couldnt rebuild around the QB. so i still thinkn RG3 will fall down to number 4 cleveland.

I highly doubt anyone will move up to the second pick. not with what the rams are asking for. this years 1st rounder, next years 1st rounder, 2013 and 2014 first rounders with second rounders in there too. no one is going to be that dumb to do that to get a QB. it would be team suicide, you couldnt rebuild around the QB. so i still thinkn RG3 will fall down to number 4 cleveland.

First off, where have you heard what the Rams' asking price is for that pick? Did Fisher publish it somewhere?

Secondly, the value of a franchise QB is virtually incalculable. If the Skins think RG3 is the guy to lead them for the next 15 years, they would be correct in offering the moon for the guy. I would put the odds at about 80% that RG3 is the 2nd player off the board in April and that it will not be a pick made by the Rams.

I think it would be a big mistake.

You never give away the future franchise QB for a lessor QB and a bunch of picks.

You draft and you keep the future franchise QB you want.

If he doesn't want to play for your franchise (Eli, Elway), that's another story.

However, given the current situation, he has not provided that statement.

All he has said is that he, like all good competitors, want to play right away as a starter.

I would be highly disappointed if anyone I drafted would not want to be a starter, and instead be content to sit on the bench.

That you do make a valid point.....oh and as far as one of my posts about RGIII being thought out by some as a first overall my apologies i read it wrong. they were basically mocking Irsay if he goes with him as the first pick.

First off, where have you heard what the Rams' asking price is for that pick? Did Fisher publish it somewhere?

Secondly, the value of a franchise QB is virtually incalculable. If the Skins think RG3 is the guy to lead them for the next 15 years, they would be correct in offering the moon for the guy. I would put the odds at about 80% that RG3 is the 2nd player off the board in April and that it will not be a pick made by the Rams.

i read it somewhere, just this week that they would more then likely be asking for that much given the high demand for RG3 after luck is taken. and fisher did say it. i was wrong about the 2nd round pick it was a 4th round pick....heres the comment.... and ill attach the link to.

"

It will take at least two first round picks and probably closer to three first round picks. And it might actually take this years No. 1, next year's No. 1, the 2014 No. 1 and possibly something else like a third or fifth rounder thrown in there.

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/323271-price-for-st-louis-pick-and-who-might-pay-it#ixzz1lu0UI4HR

• 3 weeks later...

draft RG3 because he is a humble player.

we don't need headcases like Andrew Luck

I will apply to be Mr. Irsay's butler if he makes this move. Mad plus points for him.

draft RG3 because he is a humble player.

we don't need headcases like Andrew Luck

I will apply to be Mr. Irsay's butler if he makes this move. Mad plus points for him.

So do you have anything to back up your arguement that Luck is a headcase other than your personal opinion?

Everything that Luck has ever said has been extremely humble other than when he was interviewed in the heat of the moment after a very frustrating loss.

Luck has also embraced the chance to learn behind Manning saying it again today and in several interviews he's done, he even went as far as to call Peyton Manning his hero today.

The link you provided was to a 3 week old report,two days ago during the Combine Luck said: “Peyton was my hero growing up. He was my football hero. That’s who I modeled myself after, in high school, in middle school. You never truly replace a guy like that. And who knows what happens. So many different things can happen.”

So either he is being diplomatic about replacing the local legend or he is leaving his options open to play and learn for a season or two. As for RG3, this should not be a deciding factor as to whom to pick, the need to play immediately is desirable with rookies as is willingness to cooperate as a team member.

I suggest you check out the video I posted in the Sport Science:Andrew Luck thread in this section of threads. In it, you will see Andrew Luck launch a 50-yard pass into a 5 yard window to his receiver between 2 defenders, while falling down (no use of his feet to generate the power to pass).

Enjoy.

Yes and it made it almost look effortless also.

Both of these guys could easily start in the NFL and both have said they would sit behind Peyton. Griffin while being very enthusiastic in explaining this also has said he wants to be the #1 pick, Luck said he'll accept any situation he's drafted into and Manning is his hero.

Colts should just take which player they think is best and they will. Griffin saying he'll hold that clip board with pride will not win him the #1 spot, his skills would.

This thread is ridiculous. In a few years when RG3 is a bust, let this post at least serve as a reminder to those who even THOUGHT about taking RG3 that you were so dead wrong!!!!!! When you even look at his 3rd down pressure statistics in college ( a 15.1QB Rating bTw; Lucks is 150QB Rating) its so obvious and comical that one would even think RG3 has a chance in this league.