Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Rg3 Over Luck Because Of Sit Time Behind Peyton?

RG3 has stated in the Robert Gottlieb radio show that he would sit on the bench gladly because of his respect and admiration for Manning and that he didn't want to be the guy that sent Peyton packing.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7451876

Andrew Luck has stated that he would rather start in an interview today.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7532724/2012-nfl-draft-andrew-luck-says-hoping-play-right-away

How would you feel if Mr. Irsay decides to draft RG3 over Luck because of RG3's stated willingness to sit behind Peyton, and Luck's stated desire to start?

I think this should only be a possibility if Luck does an Eli. If he just says he'd rather start instead of refusing to sit it would be okay. But we shouldn't base our pick on this unless someone says something more concrete.

Well I know Griffin is pretty smart, getting his Master's in something or other I believe. Having intelligence and work ethic, at least to me, are the most important intangibles a QB can have. He's got a big arm. He's mobile. Has a lot of traits you look for. I'm down.

Hey maybe even trade the first pick to Cleveland and take RG3 4th overall. Then have an extra pick to bolster the secondary.

RG3 has stated in the Robert Gottlieb radio show that he would sit on the bench gladly because of his respect and admiration for Manning and that he didn't want to be the guy that sent Peyton packing.

http://espn.go.com/e...play?id=7451876

http://espn.go.com/n...play-right-away

How would you feel if Mr. Irsay decides to draft RG3 over Luck because of RG3's stated willingness to sit behind Peyton, and Luck's stated desire to start?

Indy would be stupid to stay at the #1 spot and draft RG3 over Luck who is far and away the better overall QB and the best one in years.

its the DOUG Gottlieb radio show, not robert...and NO...i wouldnt take RGIII #1...i wouldnt even take RGIII #4... If we dont take Luck and if Peyton is our starter next year with the outlook of being our starter for 3-5 more years, i would trade the pick for as much as we can get out of it and wait until next year (or even the year after) to take our future starting QB and just keep Orlovski as our backup this year.

Then use all of the picks/players we get from the trade to build up the positions of need on the team, have Peyton start for the duration of his contract (or new one if we dont pay the bonus and then re-sign him) and still get our future starter in another draft.

Well I know Griffin is pretty smart, getting his Master's in something or other I believe. Having intelligence and work ethic, at least to me, are the most important intangibles a QB can have. He's got a big arm. He's mobile. Has a lot of traits you look for. I'm down.

Hey maybe even trade the first pick to Cleveland and take RG3 4th overall. Then have an extra pick to bolster the secondary.

Yes RGIII is very smart and carries himself very well and he comes from a military background...

I think no one gives him a shot because they all think he's a running QB. This is false. He's actually a very accurate passer and I've heard a lot of analyst say he has better touch on the long ball then luck does. Sure hes not as big as luck or has "NFL ready" as luck but he has a lot more upside then luck.

Now with that said I'd be fine with taking him at #4 if that's what Irsay wants to do, but I'd rather spend it on another position player...and look for a QB in a couple years.

All things being equal you HAVE to take Luck

But..........

an interesting plan B is:

Only if

IF Manning is 100 percent healthy AND 100 percent at the same level as before

AND shows a desire to play for 3-4 more years

Cleveland offers their 2 first round picks and their 2nd round pick. AND Joe Thomas, for Luck.

To do this option you would have to draft luck, then pull the trigger when Cleveland comes up to

Pick.

You then pick RGIII

The benefit of this strategy ?

You get the QB of the future

You keep Manning

You begin the rebuilding process WHILE you win

You may be able to fill some of the holes this year that needed to be filled

(OL, CB, SS, DT)

This will probably not happen, but its an interesting plan B.

I would be just as happy with Luck.

Dude go look him up he's not a one year wonder....why does everyone keep saying this...

Okay, not quite a one year wonder. A good but not great season and one great season (and a year on the pine due to injury). And I stick by my other point. He's content to sit on the bench and collect a paycheck. He might have better touch on the long ball but not every other throw like Luck. So I guess the plan for the Colts offense if we take RG is to throw deep balls and let him run.............

All things being equal you HAVE to take Luck

But..........

an interesting plan B is:

Only if

IF Manning is 100 percent healthy AND 100 percent at the same level as before

AND shows a desire to play for 3-4 more years

Cleveland offers their 2 first round picks and their 2nd round pick. AND Joe Thomas, for Luck.

To do this option you would have to draft luck, then pull the trigger when Cleveland comes up to

Pick.

You then pick RGIII

The benefit of this strategy ?

You get the QB of the future

You keep Manning

You begin the rebuilding process WHILE you win

You may be able to fill some of the holes this year that needed to be filled

(OL, CB, SS, DT)

This will probably not happen, but its an interesting plan B.

I would be just as happy with Luck.

Who in their right mind would trade 2 first rounders, a 2nd rounder and the best tackle in the league for Andrew Luck?

At worst if they have to sit behind Manning and all things equal I would take Luck. Sure you could trade down and take RG3 and get a couple extra picks, but even with the couple extra picks, from a prospect point that is a downgrade in quarterbacks.

Okay, not quite a one year wonder. A good but not great season and one great season (and a year on the pine due to injury). And I stick by my other point. He's content to sit on the bench and collect a paycheck. He might have better touch on the long ball but not every other throw like Luck. So I guess the plan for the Colts offense if we take RG is to throw deep balls and let him run.............

Wow did you not see that he completes 70+ percent of his passes....I bet I can make up more reasons not to take RGIII, but if you really look at the kid....he's a player for sure...he's a QB...a good QB and will be a good QB in the NFL...everyone wants to give luck a break and he hasn't even played a down in the NFL so let's give Robert a break too....and the bottom line is neither one of them deserves a break cause neither one has proved jack in the NFL...

Wow did you not see that he completes 70+ percent of his passes....I bet I can make up more reasons not to take RGIII, but if you really look at the kid....he's a player for sure...he's a QB...a good QB and will be a good QB in the NFL...everyone wants to give luck a break and he hasn't even played a down in the NFL so let's give Robert a break too....and the bottom line is neither one of them deserves a break cause neither one has proved jack in the NFL...

Again, he's willing to sit on the bench! What great player accepts and is satisfied with doing that? No fire, not driven if he accepts that. So did you actually watch both of them play? I did. If you did then you can't honestly believe Griffen could be better. Successful teams have pocket QBs, POCKET QBS

Are YOU really asking this question?????? Please tell me your joking. Who would give up the best QB of all time for Andrew Luck???

Um...the QB that is injured, 36, 3 surgeries, regenerating nerve can be given up for Luck. You make it sound like we are going to replace 2004 Manning with 2012 Luck.

Um...the QB that is injured, 36, 3 surgeries, regenerating nerve can be given up for Luck. You make it sound like we are going to replace 2004 Manning with 2012 Luck.

No you wanna replace a ticked off 36 yr old Peyton who has at the very least 4 years left...no I won't no part if that...

Again, he's willing to sit on the bench! What great player accepts and is satisfied with doing that? No fire, not driven if he accepts that. So did you actually watch both of them play? I did. If you did then you can't honestly believe Griffen could be better. Successful teams have pocket QBs, POCKET QBS

haha you've watched them both??? RGIII is a pocket passer go watch his film, not his highlights his game film....great pocket presence with the ability to get out the pocket and make a play....

C'mon man with a name like that your not allowed to speak in the draft section cause everyone already knows who your rooting for....

haha you've watched them both??? RGIII is a pocket passer go watch his film, not his highlights his game film....great pocket presence with the ability to get out the pocket and make a play....

I completely dissagree. And you still won't address his willingness to ride the pine

I completely dissagree. And you still won't address his willingness to ride the pine

What the fact that he said he would be honored to learn from Peyton??? That makes him less of a player??? His dad was in the military I'm sure if he would have said any thing else he would have gotten an ear full....and so what luck said the same thing...Peyton is greatness anyone and everyone should be honored to be his back up....period partner..

Get over dude its Robert griffin 3 not mike Vick

And again I say don't take either one of them...

What the fact that he said he would be honored to learn from Peyton??? That makes him less of a player??? His dad was in the military I'm sure if he would have said any thing else he would have gotten an ear full....and so what luck said the same thing...Peyton is greatness anyone and everyone should be honored to be his back up....period partner..

Get over dude its Robert griffin 3 not mike Vick

And again I say don't take either one of them...

Why so hostile.......partner?

I don't think either RG or Luck consider Manning anything other than one of the greatest QB's ever so let's just drop that right now. Willingness to "ride the pine" or whatever...both these guys should and do want to play as soon as they can.

Now between Luck and RG the thing you also have to consider when you compare them is that RG came from a spread offense and had great receiver help. Luck worked in a pro-style offense with almost no WR help and so comparing receiving yards and touchdowns is just not very revealing. Both posses great accuracy which is an absolute MUST and one of the number one things I consider in a QB that translates from college to the Pro's. RG has a beautiful long ball whereas Luck's longer throws tend to wobble a bit after 30-40+ yards...kind of like another great QB (Peyton Manning). I do think Luck shows more pocket presence and does a better job of breaking down defenses. I also think Luck has much better touch on the ball and adjusts his point of launch to avoid defenders much better than most other QB's coming out in this draft...including RG.

In the end I think these guys will both be good to great quarterbacks in the NFL, but if I'm choosing between John Elway and Randall Cunningham I'm taking Elway every time.

If Luck doesnt want to sit, or is hesitant to sit then yes. But that being said, I would still take Luck first even if he makes it clear to the franchise that he doesnt want to be here. The second you draft him, he goes on the trading block. It would be likely we could work out a trade to whichever team drafts RG3. And at least get additional value, instead of just taking RG3 first.

I don't think either RG or Luck consider Manning anything other than one of the greatest QB's ever so let's just drop that right now. Willingness to "ride the pine" or whatever...both these guys should and do want to play as soon as they can.

Now between Luck and RG the thing you also have to consider when you compare them is that RG came from a spread offense and had great receiver help. Luck worked in a pro-style offense with almost no WR help and so comparing receiving yards and touchdowns is just not very revealing. Both posses great accuracy which is an absolute MUST and one of the number one things I consider in a QB that translates from college to the Pro's. RG has a beautiful long ball whereas Luck's longer throws tend to wobble a bit after 30-40+ yards...kind of like another great QB (Peyton Manning). I do think Luck shows more pocket presence and does a better job of breaking down defenses. I also think Luck has much better touch on the ball and adjusts his point of launch to avoid defenders much better than most other QB's coming out in this draft...including RG.

In the end I think these guys will both be good to great quarterbacks in the NFL, but if I'm choosing between John Elway and Randall Cunningham I'm taking Elway every time.

Good points. However a big thing for me is that Luck has been coached by one of if not the best QB coach in the country in Harbaugh, what he did with Smith is quite an accomplishment. Luck exploded last year with Harbaugh at HC. He had a good year this year, but it looks like he is more riding the wave of last years success. He definitely did not "improve" from last year to this. Still great of course but didnt improve and thats what scares me. RG3 is still in the developing stage as a QB, 4 years ago he was an olympic contender in hurdles. Now he is a heisman winning QB. His work ethic exceeds Luck in my mind, simply by what the man has accomplished. In so little time but nothing other then hard work. I feel that there is absolutely nothing RG3 cant do that Luck can, but in terms of arm and athleticism he can do things that Luck cant and never will be able to.This is no knock on Luck im not a "hater" by any means I can appreciate his tremendous talent, but I also see RG3's, which most Luck supporters sadly do not.

Good points. However a big thing for me is that Luck has been coached by one of if not the best QB coach in the country in Harbaugh, what he did with Smith is quite an accomplishment. Luck exploded last year with Harbaugh at HC. He had a good year this year, but it looks like he is more riding the wave of last years success. He definitely did not "improve" from last year to this. Still great of course but didnt improve and thats what scares me. RG3 is still in the developing stage as a QB, 4 years ago he was an olympic contender in hurdles. Now he is a heisman winning QB. His work ethic exceeds Luck in my mind, simply by what the man has accomplished. In so little time but nothing other then hard work. I feel that there is absolutely nothing RG3 cant do that Luck can, but in terms of arm and athleticism he can do things that Luck cant and never will be able to.This is no knock on Luck im not a "hater" by any means I can appreciate his tremendous talent, but I also see RG3's, which most Luck supporters sadly do not.

Nobody is denying they both have talent. RG3 is a freak of nature, unique, a great prospect. But when you put RG3 next to Luck, he loses some of his shine.

Also under what basis are you saying Luck has not improved this past year?

Nobody is denying they both have talent. RG3 is a freak of nature, unique, a great prospect. But when you put RG3 next to Luck, he loses some of his shine.

Also under what basis are you saying Luck has not improved this past year?

My personal opinion. Thats all. I watched Luck play last year and he wowed me to say the least. The throws he made, the runs, the hits all of that. That was some of the best QBing ive seen at that level. This year I saw a darn good QB, a technician. But this time around I saw an excellent team, not QB. I saw his Oline give him all day, I saw his RBs rush for 250 yards. I saw a game manager opposed to the great QB I saw the previous year.

http://espn.go.com/e...play?id=7451876

http://espn.go.com/n...play-right-away

1595201-oh_look_its_this_thread_again_super.jpg

"INDIANAPOLIS -- Andrew Luck is willing to learn from Peyton Manning. He just wants everyone to know he's ready to play next season, too." This is the beginning of that article. Just so people realize.

Also Frog, of course a kid has a "desire to start". This is the NFL-- of COURSE a 22 year old kid would love to start, especially after being selected 1st overall. However, read the article, and how it begins. Don't twist things to make them look one way or the other.

My personal opinion. Thats all. I watched Luck play last year and he wowed me to say the least. The throws he made, the runs, the hits all of that. That was some of the best QBing ive seen at that level. This year I saw a darn good QB, a technician. But this time around I saw an excellent team, not QB. I saw his Oline give him all day, I saw his RBs rush for 250 yards. I saw a game manager opposed to the great QB I saw the previous year.

So Andrew Luck has not improved because he is getting more time in the pocket and his running game has improved?

That's odd. I come away with a different perspective.

I watched Luck in 2010, and he was good, playing behind a dominant OL(upper classmen laden), and had good receivers in addition to his TE squad. Luck performed well.

In 2011, Luck performed even better, behind a suspect but improving OL (3 of the 5 were new starters, comparatively speaking to last year's ), did not have good receivers, had his top and fastest receiver go down in the middle of the season with multiple concussions, not to return again, had his TE squad riddled with injuries.

I saw the 2011 Luck enforce his will on the field more than in 2010.

Also Frog, of course a kid has a "desire to start". This is the NFL-- of COURSE a 22 year old kid would love to start, especially after being selected 1st overall. However, read the article, and how it begins. Don't twist things to make them look one way or the other.

I presented my sources. You can give your opinion if you want to. I'm not twisting anything. I'm merely asking a question.

You owe me an apology. :D