Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you pick with our 1st?

Skill position or Trenches  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• LB,CB,DE,OL(Barnett,Mckinnley,Wilson,Jones,Thomas,Williams,Foster,Robinson ETC)
    • RB(Cook,Fournette)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, FalseStart said:

RD1: Foster, Barnett, Fournette, or Trade Back

Cook Reminds me of Reggie Bush...we can find similar RB talent in RD 4.

I should say up front that I'm in favor of using our 4th round draft pick to get a RB.

That said.....

There will be NO SIMILAR TALENT in R4 that we can find in R's 1, 2 and 3.     The later round guys may be GOOD ENOUGH,   but they're not as good as the higher rated guys.     There's no Reggie Bush in R4.

Again,  that doesn't mean you won't find a star in R4 and some guy in R2 won't be a bust.    That's the nature of every draft no matter what position we're talking about.   

Put another way,   if we had a very good defense,  we'd be taking a RB in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round and not the 4th.

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I should say up front that I'm in favor of using our 4th round draft pick to get a RB.

That said.....

There will be NO SIMILAR TALENT in R4 that we can find in R's 1, 2 and 3.     The later round guys may be GOOD ENOUGH,   but they're not as good as the higher rated guys.     There's no Reggie Bush in R4.

Again,  that doesn't mean you won't find a star in R4 and some guy in R2 won't be a bust.    That's the nature of every draft no matter what position we're talking about.   

Put another way,   if we had a very good defense,  we'd be taking a RB in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round and not the 4th.

Usually I'd tend to agree, but this year is different with Joe mixon. If I'm guessing a round it'll be 4th, but he's a 1st round talent all day

3 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Usually I'd tend to agree, but this year is different with Joe mixon. If I'm guessing a round it'll be 4th, but he's a 1st round talent all day

Yes,  agreed.   But Mixon is a rare exception to the rule.     Guys like him don't pop up every year.

And most teams are going to want him in the 4th,  not just the Colts.    So even if he lasts until the 4th round,  we'll have to still wait about a half-round before we get our chance.     I think our odds are really long.....

If I'm targeting Mixon,  my fear would be some team will take him in R3 or maybe even R2.    There are a handful of teams much more willing to gamble than most teams.     He's a long-shot.

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That said.....

I would actually rather get 2 RBs in rounds 4-6 as opposed to one stud early. Two guys I really like are Kareem Hunt and Jamaal Williams. My mindset is have a good 1 2 punch going forward. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That said.....

You can find a mediocre RB like Reggie Bush in the 4th

7 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

id take mixon in the 3rd. he is a beast and if you want to win you have to take chances. people are over reacting by what he did. he isn't randy Gregory type player. you take mixon in the 3rd if he's there.

Don't want or need a player like Mixon on our team. He'd be a distraction and a PR nightmare day one. I couldn't root for the Colts if we drafted Mixon and I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way. 

14 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I would actually rather get 2 RBs in rounds 4-6 as opposed to one stud early. Two guys I really like are Kareem Hunt and Jamaal Williams. My mindset is have a good 1 2 punch going forward. 

I love both of those guys.....    but I'm not sure either will be available in R's 4-6.

Both COULD be gone.     I don't see either lasting past R4.     

But we agree on two good young backs....     I just don't know if we can make it happen?

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I love both of those guys.....    but I'm not sure either will be available in R's 4-6.

Both COULD be gone.     I don't see either lasting past R4.     

But we agree on two good young backs....     I just don't know if we can make it happen?

That's why I'm an optimist I guess. A lot of people on this board thought I was crazy when I mocked Donte Moncrief to the Colts in round 3 the year he came out, since he was an early round 2 talent.

With the depth at RB, I could definitely see Hunt and Williams being available in round 4.

24 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Don't want or need a player like Mixon on our team. He'd be a distraction and a PR nightmare day one. I couldn't root for the Colts if we drafted Mixon and I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way. 

1. We do need a player like mixon. He's very good. 2. Just because he made a mistake awhile ago doesn't mean he is distraction and a PR nightmare. I would love to root for the colts if they got him because they are finally doing things to win.

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

That's why I'm an optimist I guess. A lot of people on this board thought I was crazy when I mocked Donte Moncrief to the Colts in round 3 the year he came out, since he was an early round 2 talent.

With the depth at RB, I could definitely see Hunt and Williams being available in round 4.

Yes.....  R4.

But you were talking about getting both....   one in R4 and one in R6.     At least,  that was my read of your post.

So,  while I'd guess we'd get one of them in R4,  I don't think a back of that quality will be available in R6.

By the way,   I never saw Moncrief as an early R2 talent.     Not anywhere.   I think I saw him mostly between Mid-R2 and Mid-R3.       I think we grabbed him at pick 90,  about 10 spots below the mid-way point of the 3rd round.

33 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Lonely, soo lonely, your mister lonely... You have no bodiiiiii on your siiiiiide oooh your so lonely (: if it happens good redence sir, you'll be hating while our Offense elevates to another level. Best RB in the class, quote me on this please

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes,  agreed.   But Mixon is a rare exception to the rule.     Guys like him don't pop up every year.

And most teams are going to want him in the 4th,  not just the Colts.    So even if he lasts until the 4th round,  we'll have to still wait about a half-round before we get our chance.     I think our odds are really long.....

If I'm targeting Mixon,  my fear would be some team will take him in R3 or maybe even R2.    There are a handful of teams much more willing to gamble than most teams.     He's a long-shot.

But with all this, not invited to combine, wouldn't have blown up the combine anyways, he could fall. On top of potential other backs elevating their stock with the combine. If it had to be done tho, I'd absolutely take him round 3. 1st round talent on day 2 I'll take that all day. But we will see

5 minutes ago, I'm mad, bro said:

But with all this, not invited to combine, wouldn't have blown up the combine anyways, he could fall. On top of potential other backs elevating their stock with the combine. If it had to be done tho, I'd absolutely take him round 3. 1st round talent on day 2 I'll take that all day. But we will see

Yes,  he COULD fall....

I'm only saying that (A) a handful of teams might be willing to draft him before the Colts....     and (B)  even if he lasts until R4,   our pick is roughly mid-way through the round.   So, we've got to see what 14-15 other teams do first before we even get to pick.    

So many things could happen before we even get a chance that the odds of Mixon ending up with the Colts are very, very small.       I'd love to be wrong.     I'd love for the Colts to get him.     I'm just not optimistic about it happening.

8 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

1. We do need a player like mixon. He's very good. 2. Just because he made a mistake awhile ago doesn't mean he is distraction and a PR nightmare. I would love to root for the colts if they got him because they are finally doing things to win.

Doing all the wrong things to win. There are plenty of other RBs in this draft that don't have his anger issues. 

8 hours ago, I'm mad, bro said:

Lonely, soo lonely, your mister lonely... You have no bodiiiiii on your siiiiiide oooh your so lonely (: if it happens good redence sir, you'll be hating while our Offense elevates to another level. Best RB in the class, quote me on this please

Football is a business. And in today's world it's bad business to have a woman beater on your team. It's not all about winning games and Irsay hopefully knows this. 

Best RB in this class?? You're insane 

14 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I love Kareem Hunt, he can be a star next year. Could be our Devonta Freeman. Him Gore and Turbin sounds poyfect.

On 2/9/2017 at 9:31 AM, Majin Vegeta said:

I think they're both 1st rounders, Conley could definitely fall to the 2nd, but not Sidney. He's a boss and is already very polished in man coverage. 

Sidney had a bad year this yr. He is a risk 1st round a risk you don't take if a player like cook is still available. You don't draft this http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3127299/sidney-jones

over this http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3116593/dalvin-cook
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dalvin-cook-1/gamelog/
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sidney-jones-1/gamelog/

8 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

Ok.

8 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

Jones did not have a bad season. What are you basing this opinion on?

Can I ask, and maybe I have missed conversation, but what about Jabril Peppers?  Are you guys thinking he will be gone by our pick?  I did see one mock earlier that had us picking him 1st round.

I like him a lot, playmaker and athlete more than position player.  Not much buzz on here for him.  Just curious on your thoughts.

15 hours ago, SP_21 said:

We're gonna have to live with the occasional opinion like this if he gets drafted by us. 

The thing for me is is I do not want to see you guys rooting for the guy, should we draft him, once he blows up and is going for 1000 yards+. You don't want or need a player like Joe, I'm assuming this is speaking on his "character issues" because as previously stated we DO need a player that makes plays in both the receiving and running game like Joe does.

The opinion given on Joe in this post is one that can't change. If you're not willing to give him a second chance right now, than like I said, don't root for him when he's making pro bowls as a Colt should we draft him.

I will say not having Grigson will change the idea of drafting someone with "character issues" IMO.  You can say you do not like him or you doubt we would draft someone like him but yet if he was available in the 4th round....I would take him for sure.  Many people could have disagreed with the Chiefs grabbing Hill last year but man were they fans of him this year.  I personally do not see him as the best back in the draft but in the fourth round he would have the best value for sure.  Either pick in the 4th.  But as NCF said further up I can see a team jumping at him in the 3rd or early 4th.

21 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Can I ask, and maybe I have missed conversation, but what about Jabril Peppers?  Are you guys thinking he will be gone by our pick?  I did see one mock earlier that had us picking him 1st round.

I like him a lot, playmaker and athlete more than position player.  Not much buzz on here for him.  Just curious on your thoughts.

No way am I drafting him in the 1st. Too small for ILB, and not good enough in coverage for a safety. I'd put like 5 other safeties before Peppers.

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

No way am I drafting him in the 1st. Too small for ILB, and not good enough in coverage for a safety. I'd put like 5 other safeties before Peppers.

Could be..... but I bet someone takes him in the first and I bet he ends up a pro bowler.  I could be wrong, but I like athletes and playmakers on the field.  No worries though.... I get what you are saying.

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Could be..... but I bet someone takes him in the first and I bet he ends up a pro bowler.  I could be wrong, but I like athletes and playmakers on the field.  No worries though.... I get what you are saying.

Doubt he goes in the first. Bad hips, can't cover(gave up 68 receptions with 0 ints and only 6 pass break ups) below average awareness.  He's literally all media hype. Oh and athletic... but then again so is TJ green. 

On February 9, 2017 at 11:31 AM, UKColt13 said:

As I write this it has to be OLB for me. Simply because the cupboard is bare. Before resignings, we have Akeem Ayers and Curt Maggitt. On their best days, they are role players, at most. Erik Walden needs resigning. He's not going to light the world on fire as a pass rusher. He's not an elite edge defender anymore, although he is still decent against the run and can hold up in the passing game. Unless we boss FA and bring in at least 1 quality OLB starter, for me there is no other choice if McKinley is available.

But it all depends on what happens between now and draft night. If for some Ballard decides on an 'out with the old and in with the new' approach and cuts Gore; Takes Vontae's, likely Pagano's and the fans advice and brings in someone like Melvin Ingram (along with resigning Walden, although he might end up a casualty of the 'out with the old...' business).Then I can absolutely see him picking up Dalvin. And after a brief 15 second blinding rage, I'll be fine with that. I'd say a few things need to happen before I'd be happy taking Dalvin at #14/#15.

It comes down to the fact that it is easier to find a quality RB in rounds 2-4 than it is to find a quality pass rusher. 

If Gore is cut this is a list of RBs in the draft that would be instant starting quality RBs IMO, along with their round projections:

Fournette (early rd1)

Cook (early-mid rd1)                  Tier 1    

McCaffrey (early rd2)

Kamara (mid-late rd2)

Foreman (early rd3)                   Tier 2   

Hunt (mid rd3)

Clement (late 3 - early 4)           Tier 3     

Conclusion: Talent to be had in 2nd tier. 3rd tier are backups/change of pace backs. Note. I did not include Joe Mixon because with his character stuff I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

The instant impact starting quality OLBs:

Garrett (should be no.1)

Thomas (likely top 10 on draft night)

McKinley (top 20)

Harris (top 25)                              Tier 1   

Barnett (late rd1, trending down due to lack of athleticism)

Smoot (late rd1)

Watt (early rd2 and rising)         Tier 2   

Conclusion: A lot of talent flying off the board early and a significant drop off after the 1st tier. 2nd tier starting still in the first round. Note. I did not include Tim Williams due to his apparent drug issues which takes him out of consideration for our first 3 rounds IMO.

Nice analysis.  According to your rankings Cook is ahead of Mckinley and Harris.  If Garett and Thomas and Fournette go early Cook would be BPA at 14 with Mckinley being the closest.  

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Doubt he goes in the first. Bad hips, can't cover(gave up 68 receptions with 0 ints and only 6 pass break ups) below average awareness.  He's literally all media hype. Oh and athletic... but then again so is TJ green. 

Yeah he may be a better ST player, i have just always liked guys that can play multiple positions and play them well.  I do disagree with you on his hips tho....and he is much better than TJ, lol. I still think he will go in the first, it would be a more sure thing if Rex Ryan was still a head coach... lol.

Well, I know where you stand on him now.  I would really like to see the best defensive player available picked.  It usually worked for Bill and I think it is a good philosophy... You?

Just now, BR-549 said:

Yeah he may be a better ST player, i have just always liked guys that can play multiple positions and play them well.  I do disagree with you on his hips tho....and he is much better than TJ, lol. I still think he will go in the first, it would be a more sure thing if Rex Ryan was still a head coach... lol.

Well, I know where you stand on him now.  I would really like to see the best defensive player available picked.  It usually worked for Bill and I think it is a good philosophy... You?

He does play multiple postions, but was never great at just one..  What I've read from talent evaluators is he's the 5th best safety and that's best case scenario. In my opinion he isn't better than TJ in coverage. And he might go in the first but I don't see him as a 1st round talent. 

And I want to see a great LB, DE, or CB picked at #15. Because we all know one will be there ;)

On 2/9/2017 at 11:31 AM, UKColt13 said:

As I write this it has to be OLB for me. Simply because the cupboard is bare. Before resignings, we have Akeem Ayers and Curt Maggitt. On their best days, they are role players, at most. Erik Walden needs resigning. He's not going to light the world on fire as a pass rusher. He's not an elite edge defender anymore, although he is still decent against the run and can hold up in the passing game. Unless we boss FA and bring in at least 1 quality OLB starter, for me there is no other choice if McKinley is available.

But it all depends on what happens between now and draft night. If for some Ballard decides on an 'out with the old and in with the new' approach and cuts Gore; Takes Vontae's, likely Pagano's and the fans advice and brings in someone like Melvin Ingram (along with resigning Walden, although he might end up a casualty of the 'out with the old...' business).Then I can absolutely see him picking up Dalvin. And after a brief 15 second blinding rage, I'll be fine with that. I'd say a few things need to happen before I'd be happy taking Dalvin at #14/#15.

It comes down to the fact that it is easier to find a quality RB in rounds 2-4 than it is to find a quality pass rusher. 

If Gore is cut this is a list of RBs in the draft that would be instant starting quality RBs IMO, along with their round projections:

Fournette (early rd1)

Cook (early-mid rd1)                  Tier 1    

McCaffrey (early rd2)

Kamara (mid-late rd2)

Foreman (early rd3)                   Tier 2   

Hunt (mid rd3)

Clement (late 3 - early 4)           Tier 3     

Conclusion: Talent to be had in 2nd tier. 3rd tier are backups/change of pace backs. Note. I did not include Joe Mixon because with his character stuff I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

The instant impact starting quality OLBs:

Garrett (should be no.1)

Thomas (likely top 10 on draft night)

McKinley (top 20)

Harris (top 25)                              Tier 1   

Barnett (late rd1, trending down due to lack of athleticism)

Smoot (late rd1)

Watt (early rd2 and rising)         Tier 2   

Conclusion: A lot of talent flying off the board early and a significant drop off after the 1st tier. 2nd tier starting still in the first round. Note. I did not include Tim Williams due to his apparent drug issues which takes him out of consideration for our first 3 rounds IMO.

I agree with most all of what you are saying.  Although I think McCaffrey is more of a slot receiver than a running back.  I don't know, he just seems undersized and although he is quick and all, I see him being exploited more in the way the Pats use Julian Edelman.

4 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He does play multiple postions, but was never great at just one..  What I've read from talent evaluators is he's the 5th best safety and that's best case scenario. In my opinion he isn't better than TJ in coverage. And he might go in the first but I don't see him as a 1st round talent. 

And I want to see a great LB, DE, or CB picked at #15. Because we all know one will be there ;)

I wasn't going to quote you again for crying out loud, but just to say.... even the 5th best safety is probably better than TJ.  I don't remember, but I  don't believe he was valued close to that.  It doesn't really matter because he won't end up here.  I mostly wanted to know what others thought of him.  I think TJ will improve this year and he will eventually become someone we can rely on to produce.  We just didn't need a project... another discussion.  

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

I wasn't going to quote you again for crying out loud, but just to say.... even the 5th best safety is probably better than TJ.  I don't remember, but I  don't believe he was valued close to that.  It doesn't really matter because he won't end up here.  I mostly wanted to know what others thought of him.  I think TJ will improve this year and he will eventually become someone we can rely on to produce.  We just didn't need a project... another discussion.  

I won't argue that he's better or worse than TJ lol. Like you said it doesn't matter.  I just said he sucks in coverage and is too small to play LB.

And I agree.

55 minutes ago, OneNation said:

We're gonna have to live with the occasional opinion like this if he gets drafted by us. 

The thing for me is is I do not want to see you guys rooting for the guy, should we draft him, once he blows up and is going for 1000 yards+. You don't want or need a player like Joe, I'm assuming this is speaking on his "character issues" because as previously stated we DO need a player that makes plays in both the receiving and running game like Joe does.

The opinion given on Joe in this post is one that can't change. If you're not willing to give him a second chance right now, than like I said, don't root for him when he's making pro bowls as a Colt should we draft him.

You don't have to worry I won't root for him. I believe in second chances but they have to be earned. Nothing he's said or done has earned him a second chance imo. 

I'm not going to completely write him off. He could be very active in charity and community work and become a role model in the future. If that happens I'll reconsider my opinion of him. 

There are plenty of RBs who can make plays as receivers and runners in this draft. I like Gallman. Mixon isn't the only good RB in the '17 Draft. 

There were several games that Gore busted one open and could have taken it to the house if he were faster. That being said we left a lot of points on the field this year due to slow RB play. 

I'm all for defense and edge rushers. However, I feel that a stud RB like Cook or even Fournette would be game changers for us in running and screens plays. If Foster is available when we draft, I say go for him. If not and Cook or Fournette are, we better grab either of them. 

I may finally buy a RB or defensive players jersey this year.