Indeee

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not everyone.  I think I have a pretty good understanding of football and I have no problem with keeping Pagano.  You can't make a gourmet meal if you don't have the ingredients.

Here's the thing though... to continue with your analogy; he has the ingredients to make a gourmet meal on the offensive side of the ball and it's hit or miss as to whether or not it turns out well.

Even with that, he's had the ingredients to make a good, solid meal but there are too many times when he doesn't seem to know what temperature to set the oven (developing a game plan), doesn't put the meal in at the correct time (slow to make changes), leaves the meal in the oven long after the timer has gone off (sticks with things that are not working).

Additionally, he has not learned that you can make meatloaf with ketchup  and dried bread even if the recipe calls for BBQ sauce and bread crumbs.

The barely edible Papa John's proves that it takes more than better ingredients to make a better pizza.

:)  I like that analogy, that was fun.

What gets lost in this fire Pagano/Grigson dialog is the responsibility of the players. Dwayne Allen pointed this out. They have dropped balls, missed tackles, fumbled, committed penalties and made mental mistakes that got us to 8-8.           As far as Pagano: Are any of us really qualified to determine if a coach is qualified? Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is subjective. There are not many coaches that haven't had a bad season or two, even the great ones. I've got to believe Jim Irsay had good reasons for signing Pagano and Grigson to four year extensions. The players are behind Pagano and they know a lot more about what he does than we do. For now, I'm siding with the organization and yielding to their expertise. To make coaching changes now IMO would be counterproductive.

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Here's the thing though... to continue with your analogy; he has the ingredients to make a gourmet meal on the offensive side of the ball and it's hit or miss as to whether or not it turns out well.

Even with that, he's had the ingredients to make a good, solid meal but there are too many times when he doesn't seem to know what temperature to set the oven (developing a game plan), doesn't put the meal in at the correct time (slow to make changes), leaves the meal in the oven long after the timer has gone off (sticks with things that are not working).

Additionally, he has not learned that you can make meatloaf with ketchup  and dried bread even if the recipe calls for BBQ sauce and bread crumbs.

The barely edible Papa John's proves that it takes more than better ingredients to make a better pizza.

:)  I like that analogy, that was fun.

Love the analogy, agree with alot of it. 

34 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I've been basically done with Pagano since the 2014 AFCCG, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt heading into 2015 and was totally over him about halfway through the season. I have no idea why either he or Grigson were signed to ridiculous 5 year extensions. 

My opinion on Grigson is the same as it was last season. He doesn't understand draft value (mainly positional - see: using first round picks on a WR and a C) and seems more occupied about proving how smart he is then actually constructing a good football team. 

I don't know why, but I get the exact same feeling.  He has a certain arrogance about him and it seems like his ego gets in the way.  I don't have any proof to point to, but it's just the gut feeling I get from him

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

dont like what I have to say? there's an ignore function. In the meantime, I'll quote anyone and say  as I want (within the rules of the forum of course)

EIther don't talk to me, or don't tell me not to comment. Same logic you're using buddy. 

Chuck is going into year 6 with the Colts.  The following is a list of all the Super Bowl winning coaches, and in what year of employment with their teams they won their first Super Bowl(or title):

Gruden - 1

Kubiak - 1

Siefert - 1

McCafferty - 1

Belichick - 2

Gibbs - 2

Flores - 2

Tomlin -2

Switzer - 2

Billick - 2

Lombardi - 3 (NFL)

Stram - 3 (AFL)

Shula-  3

Walsh - 3

Shanahan - 3

Vermeil - 3

Carroll - 4

Ditka-  4

Johnson - 4

Payton - 4

Coughlin - 4

Holmgren - 5

Dungy - 5

Parcels - 5

McCarthy - 5

Harbaugh - 5

People like to say continuity is good - it's the loser franchises who are changing coaches, etc.  The exact opposite is true.  History shows the championship teams are the ones who did make coaching changes, bringing in fresh blood.

Again, Chuck is going into year 6.  Only 5 coaches in NFL history won their first Super Bowl in year 6 or later with their team:

Noll, Landry, Madden...

Now, if you think Chuck is the next Noll, Landry or Madden, I don't know what to say.  All three had been much more successful than Chuck.  Obviously, there was more reason for optimism.  Noll did it in year 6.  Landry in year 11, but had already made a Super Bowl and an NFL title game years earlier.  Madden in year 8, but the 70s Raiders were considered a one Super Bowl mini-dynasty who unfortunately ran into the Steelers and Dolphins.

The only other two:

Ewbank - in year 6, but had already won titles with the Colts.

Cower - in year 14, but made a Super Bowl in year 4, and was more successful than Chuck.

Essentially, no team in NFL history has ever won a Super Bowl with a coach like Chuck... by hanging on to a coach like Chuck.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After we lost in 2004 and 2005 I have good friend that wanted Tony Dungy fired and he said he was a terrible Coach. To this day he says Dungy is overrated and rode Peyton's coattails.

He's a good coach, but he is overrated.  1st ballot hall of famer?  No way.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Tons wanted Caldwell fired.   He took the lions to the playoffs

That doesn't mean you are a good coach.....although I think Caldwell is decent.  Norv Turner took the chargers to the AFC championship.

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

At this point it looks as if Grigson and Pagano are the only one's willing to be associated with the Colts. If Mr. Irsay tried, it is probable he couldn't find any takers without paying a severe premium. Not good.

Lord have mercy

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

Chuck is going into year 6 with the Colts.  The following is a list of all the Super Bowl winning coaches, and in what year of employment with their teams they won their first Super Bowl(or title):

Gruden - 1

Kubiak - 1

Siefert - 1

McCafferty - 1

Belichick - 2

Gibbs - 2

Flores - 2

Tomlin -2

Switzer - 2

Billick - 2

Lombardi - 3 (NFL)

Stram - 3 (AFL)

Shula-  3

Walsh - 3

Shanahan - 3

Vermeil - 3

Carroll - 4

Ditka-  4

Johnson - 4

Payton - 4

Coughlin - 4

Holmgren - 5

Dungy - 5

Parcels - 5

McCarthy - 5

Harbaugh - 5

People like to say continuity is good - it's the loser franchises who are changing coaches, etc.  The exact opposite is true.  History shows the championship teams are the ones who did make coaching changes, bringing in fresh blood.

Again, Chuck is going into year 6.  Only 5 coaches in NFL history won their first Super Bowl in year 6 or later with their team:

Noll, Landry, Madden...

Now, if you think Chuck is the next Noll, Landry or Madden, I don't know what to say.  All three had been much more successful than Chuck.  Obviously, there was more reason for optimism.  Noll did it in year 6.  Landry in year 11, but had already made a Super Bowl and an NFL title game years earlier.  Madden in year 8, but the 70s Raiders were considered a one Super Bowl mini-dynasty who unfortunately ran into the Steelers and Dolphins.

The only other two:

Cower - in year 14, but made a Super Bowl in year 4, and was more successful than Chuck.

Essentially, no team in NFL history has ever won a Super Bowl with a coach like Chuck... by hanging on to a coach like Chuck.

now that is interesting

hmmm interesting tid bit..... was just listening on the radio, they claims the Star is reporting that a radio broadcast silence order has gone out from the Colts organization and that even the normal insiders are no longer answering messages from media sources.  Interesting..

19 minutes ago, #12. said:

Gruden - 1

Kubiak - 1

Siefert - 1

McCafferty - 1

Belichick - 2

Gibbs - 2

Flores - 2

Tomlin -2

Switzer - 2

Billick - 2

Lombardi - 3 (NFL)

Stram - 3 (AFL)

Shula-  3

Walsh - 3

Shanahan - 3

Vermeil - 3

Carroll - 4

Ditka-  4

Johnson - 4

Payton - 4

Coughlin - 4

Holmgren - 5

Dungy - 5

Parcels - 5

McCarthy - 5

Harbaugh - 5

Noll, Landry, Madden...

The only other two:

Where does Chuck stand in getting his team into the playoffs?  And then the AFCCG?  

Keeping his fans out of the loop?

Were you on mars when he announced a couple weeks ago that he didn't anticipate any changes, or are you so dense that you don't understand what is going on?

Irsay isn't going to hold a press conference to repeat himself because a big bunch of you can't take a damn hint.

What was he gonna say then, that he was chucking both of them?  That interview was noncommittal at best, and his statement of not anticipating changes was immediately followed with the caveat that things are always subject to change......  he left it as open as he really could have.

Sweet Jesus...

Or, he said no changes, and he meant no changes hence there have been no changes.

Where there's smoke there's fire. The crowd whose still waiting are trying to fan a wet matchbook.

Unreal how some people cannot put 2 and 2 together and see what's going on.

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

At this point it looks as if Grigson and Pagano are the only one's willing to be associated with the Colts. If Mr. Irsay tried, it is probable he couldn't find any takers without paying a severe premium. Not good.

My god,   What total nonsense

39 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

What gets lost in this fire Pagano/Grigson dialog is the responsibility of the players. Dwayne Allen pointed this out. They have dropped balls, missed tackles, fumbled, committed penalties and made mental mistakes that got us to 8-8.           As far as Pagano: Are any of us really qualified to determine if a coach is qualified? Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it is subjective. There are not many coaches that haven't had a bad season or two, even the great ones. I've got to believe Jim Irsay had good reasons for signing Pagano and Grigson to four year extensions. The players are behind Pagano and they know a lot more about what he does than we do. For now, I'm siding with the organization and yielding to their expertise. To make coaching changes now IMO would be counterproductive.

Qualified and competent are two different things, though. I think anyone can make a judgement on competency based on results over 5 years. Not to say he should be retained or fired.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I just feel like there's a lot of exaggeration going on, and it's just being accepted as fact. In reality, there's no train wreck, and there's no evidence of dysfunction. 

Understatement of the decade! Lol

19 minutes ago, csmopar said:

hmmm interesting tid bit..... was just listening on the radio, they claims the Star is reporting that a radio broadcast silence order has gone out from the Colts organization and that even the normal insiders are no longer answering messages from media sources.  Interesting..

Something is going on for sure. Irsay's private G4 jet had a flight recorded last night at 7:41PM. No indication whether it was coming/going but there is movement.

Edited by BCoop
spelling

1 minute ago, BCoop said:

Something is going on for sure. Irsay's private G4 jet had a flight recorded last night at 7:41PM. No indicated whether it was coming/going but there is movement.

We could file a request for the FAA filed flight plan, assuming he/whoever flew on IFR, VFR would be unrecorded. simply file a FOIA request, you'll eventually get the flight path

40 minutes ago, #12. said:

Gruden - 1

Kubiak - 1

Siefert - 1

McCafferty - 1

Belichick - 2

Gibbs - 2

Flores - 2

Tomlin -2

Switzer - 2

Billick - 2

Lombardi - 3 (NFL)

Stram - 3 (AFL)

Shula-  3

Walsh - 3

Shanahan - 3

Vermeil - 3

Carroll - 4

Ditka-  4

Johnson - 4

Payton - 4

Coughlin - 4

Holmgren - 5

Dungy - 5

Parcels - 5

McCarthy - 5

Harbaugh - 5

Noll, Landry, Madden...

The only other two:

How many years of HC experience did these guys have with other teams prior to coaching the team they led to the SB?

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We could file a request for the FAA filed flight plan, assuming he/whoever flew on IFR, VFR would be unrecorded. simply file a FOIA request, you'll eventually get the flight path

That seems...extreme.

:thinking:

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I've been basically done with Pagano since the 2014 AFCCG, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt heading into 2015 and was totally over him about halfway through the season. I have no idea why either he or Grigson were signed to ridiculous 5 year extensions. 

My opinion on Grigson is the same as it was last season. He doesn't understand draft value (mainly positional - see: using first round picks on a WR and a C) and seems more occupied about proving how smart he is then actually constructing a good football team. 

I would argue that Grigson choking down and drafting a center in the first round is an admission that he was wrong about how to build an OL. 

Anyway, was just curious if you thought he did a better job in 2016, but sounds like it doesn't matter. 

9 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

How many years of HC experience did these guys have with other teams prior to coaching the team they led to the SB?

Good point: Belicheck was in Cleveland for 5-6 years and only 1 year with a winning record. Point is, coaches can learn from their mistakes, despite what some may think.

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Were you listening to JMV? I caught the last seconds or minute of his show. He said "might have something for you later" and I thought he/Tony D mentioned something about being chicken to say it. I didn't know what he was referring to, though.

11 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Were you listening to JMV? I caught the last seconds or minute of his show. He said "might have something for you later" and I thought he/Tony D mentioned something about being chicken to say it. I didn't know what he was referring to, though.

yes

4 hours ago, Jason_S said:

good god here comes more extreme nonsense.   The Colts biggest loss this season was by 21 points.  There was one loss by 16 points and one by 14.  The other 5 losses were by 8 points or less.

This year is the key word. I cant even count all of the blow out losses (Jax last year) over the past five years. Most of the close losses this year were just awful losses.

4 hours ago, Jason_S said:

good god here comes more extreme nonsense.   The Colts biggest loss this season was by 21 points.  There was one loss by 16 points and one by 14.  The other 5 losses were by 8 points or less.

This year is the key word. I cant even count all of the blow out losses (Jax last year) over the past five years. Most of the close losses this year were just awful losses.