Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Run Blocking

VocableLoki

Not sure if anyone has posted on this, a lot is written on our pass protection but not much on run blocking. I thought our run blocking looked much better this year, especially in the last few games. I think this could be really good for us going forward. Building a solid run game could also be really beneficial to taking pressure off Andrew.

The entire Offensive line as a whole has much improved over the latter half of the season. Surprise surprise, young players took some time to develop.

Next season is key. They have to be even better. Not saying like Cowboys level, but I'm hoping the Colts O line is represented in the top 10 of the league. I like the talent and depth there. Philibin has done a nice job with the guys and hopefully it shows fully next year. A huge year for the O line.

25 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Unfortunately they ended on a sour note against the Jaguars. Week 17 and they still look clueless against stunts.

They still did well on run blocking. Gore averaged almost 4.5 ypc. Pass protecting was not the greatest though. 

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Imagine if we draft Cook or Fournette...Gore is respectable,  but just gets yards in increments. .We get a home run franchise back that can break big runs , we will be unstoppable..

If Trent Richardson had done that to begin with though, Luck might have had a ring during Luck's early playoff runs. I hope Richardson likes watching from the couch.

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

A multi-faceted offense that can run well and have a passing game that is not limited to 7 step drops would be dangerous. I would love to see a better YAC average, from both the run and pass game.

lol I think if we continue with "continuity" we won't see anything but 5-7 step drops until we have 5 min left in a game 

57 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think if the 2017 Colts have a starting line of AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg and Clark, they will be good.

I agree. The 3 rookies should improve, and they have 2 or 3 decent back-ups. I expect a good balanced offence because of the line.

2 hours ago, will426 said:

lol I think if we continue with "continuity" we won't see anything but 5-7 step drops until we have 5 min left in a game 

Irsay is not stupid. That's why I am hopeful that he sees what we all see and will insist (when he meets with Pagano) on a more efficient offense with fewer high-risk plays.

10 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

Building a solid run game could also be really beneficial to taking pressure off Andrew.

Not just beneficial, but essential .... I am absolutely  convinced, that until this Andrew Luck led offense develops a running attack that must be reckoned with, it won't matter who the GM is, or who the head coach is. They must have a ground game that can move the chains and force defenses to pick their poison. 

8 minutes ago, Mameluc said:

Im curious, what do you think of Haeg as Guard? Is he good at pushing people in run game?

Good at pushing people?  No.  BUt he has an excellent understanding of technique, angles and positioning that can help offset.  He will get pushed around from time to time (and probably will his entire career) but he will learn ways to combat that.

I stated early on in the year that I thought Haeg would make a better guard than tackle at least for the next few years and I think that was proven when he had to fill in at RT.

I will also say, I was impressed with Clark the last few weeks of the season.  He's a rookie and make rookie mistakes and got schooled a few times by veterans but he was leaps and bounds ahead of what he looked like in the preseason (where I am on record as saying Clark's preseason game against the Eagles was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from an NFL tackle)

9 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Imagine if we draft Cook or Fournette...Gore is respectable,  but just gets yards in increments. .We get a home run franchise back that can break big runs , we will be unstoppable..

I would love to get one of them, if available.  While I think the draft needs to be defense heavy, I did say I would love to get a top notch RB.  Gore has been solid, but he is getting older and shouldn't be expected the workload he has to carry at his age.   Besides that, it would be a great time to bring one in to develop while Gore is still around. 

5 hours ago, egg said:

Irsay is not stupid. That's why I am hopeful that he sees what we all see and will insist (when he meets with Pagano) on a more efficient offense with fewer high-risk plays.

I know he's not stupid but the people he hires are stupid and continue to do what all the past Ocs have done I think he needs to tell them to stop those crappy calls or be dismissed..that final drive of the jags game is the biggest example and what we've seen from luck when he's in the hurry up he cannot be stopped but they don't utilize this until we're about to lose or being blown out in the 4th...and sorry I don't like periods when I'm on my phone haha 

On 1/3/2017 at 10:53 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Good at pushing people?  No.  BUt he has an excellent understanding of technique, angles and positioning that can help offset.  He will get pushed around from time to time (and probably will his entire career) but he will learn ways to combat that.

I stated early on in the year that I thought Haeg would make a better guard than tackle at least for the next few years and I think that was proven when he had to fill in at RT.

I will also say, I was impressed with Clark the last few weeks of the season.  He's a rookie and make rookie mistakes and got schooled a few times by veterans but he was leaps and bounds ahead of what he looked like in the preseason (where I am on record as saying Clark's preseason game against the Eagles was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from an NFL tackle)

The Eagles used mid-season blitz packages on him. So.... lol
 Joe Haeg 6'6" 304   Get Joe up to about 325 at his EXTREME for a guard height to be a Good run blocker. He can RUN well at his light weight to get outside..lol
 This years Pro Bowlers
  Marshal Yanda 6'3" 305
 Kelecke Osemele 6'5 330

David Decastro 6'5" 316
 Zach Martin 6'4" 310

Brandon Scherff 6'5" 323

T J Lang 6'4" 318

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

The Eagles used mid-season blitz packages on him. So.... lol
 Joe Haeg 6'6" 304   Get Joe up to about 325 at his EXTREME for a guard height to be a Good run blocker. He can RUN well at his light weight to get outside..lol
 This years Pro Bowlers
  Marshal Yanda 6'3" 305
 Kelecke Osemele 6'5 330

David Decastro 6'5" 316
 Zach Martin 6'4" 310

Brandon Scherff 6'5" 323

T J Lang 6'4" 318

No they didn't, he was man up on a guy very few stunts or bltizes.

The rest of your post really makes very little sense.  other than to show that as long as the guard is of NFL height and weight it takes talent to make the probowl.

On 1/3/2017 at 3:54 PM, will426 said:

I know he's not stupid but the people he hires are stupid and continue to do what all the past Ocs have done I think he needs to tell them to stop those crappy calls or be dismissed..that final drive of the jags game is the biggest example and what we've seen from luck when he's in the hurry up he cannot be stopped but they don't utilize this until we're about to lose or being blown out in the 4th...and sorry I don't like periods when I'm on my phone haha 

The hurry up puts undue stress on our defense.  I agree it seems to work , especially late in games.  Some of that is opposing defenses playing a "bend but dont break" or prevent style of defense.

its difficult to go hurry-up for a whole game, you end up looking like Chip Kelly's joke of an offense.

i do think we should mix it in more tho. But the problem is, if you don't get first downs, you really hurt your chances of winning more and you lengthen the game. This scenario really hurts our defense.

On 1/3/2017 at 9:53 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

...I was so high on Clark when we drafted him and then I watched that preseason game... I thought watching Harrison was going to be one of the worst times watching a Colts lineman and Clark goes and trumps that lol.  Gladly like you I was pleasantly surprised the last few games by Clark. 

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

The hurry up puts undue stress on our defense.  I agree it seems to work , especially late in games.  Some of that is opposing defenses playing a "bend but dont break" or prevent style of defense.

its difficult to go hurry-up for a whole game, you end up looking like Chip Kelly's joke of an offense.

i do think we should mix it in more tho. But the problem is, if you don't get first downs, you really hurt your chances of winning more and you lengthen the game. This scenario really hurts our defense.

I don't think we should use it non stop like chip Kelly but like how Big Ben does it in Pits.. he'll hurry up couple plays slow it down hurt again slow it down twice and repeat but also involves bell in the run game 

3 hours ago, will426 said:

I don't think we should use it non stop like chip Kelly but like how Big Ben does it in Pits.. he'll hurry up couple plays slow it down hurt again slow it down twice and repeat but also involves bell in the run game 

I agree with you. It seems to "wake up" our offense.