Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dalvin Cook (Mega Merge)

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Do I hope we draft a game changer on defense in the 1st?  Of course.  But I would not be disappointed if we took Dalvin Cook in the first either.  

if there's no potential game changer on D available when the Colts pick but a potential game changer in Fournette or Cook is available, you go with the RB.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I heard Donta Foreman is going back to college, along with Chubb and Elijah Hood.

The pickings are getting slimmer by the day...We might find us a kerwin bell or josh robinson in later rounds to be the guy..Many seem to favor this strategy..

22 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We didn't need an elite back most of the peyton years and we haven't found one with Grigson cause he has no clue what talent looks like in the top 3 rounds 

I don't know about that, how many one and done's of those years could of been mitigated buy an elite back? If nothing else I believe we could of at least won a few in Foxbough with an elite back

Royce Freeman, Elijah Hood, Nick Chubb, and possibly D'Onta Foreman going back to school.

These decisions are going to push everyone else up as teams scramble to find RB replacements. If the Colts are serious about having an efficient run game moving forward, they could be forced into using a 1st/2nd on a back. 

We could do far worse than Dalvin Cook in the 15-20 pick range.

16 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Did we get to or win the SB with edge or Faulk?? Nope we won with Addai and Rhodes no where near elite level so nice try 

Had we found a way to keep Faulk, instead of giving him away for nothing, it probably wouldn't have taken so long to win a Superbowl with Manning. And honestly if Edge hadn't gotten hurt we probably win more than one with Manning as well.

1 minute ago, BCoop said:

Royce Freeman, Elijah Hood, Nick Chubb, and possibly D'Onta Foreman going back to school.

These decisions are going to push everyone else up as teams scramble to find RB replacements. If the Colts are serious about having an efficient run game moving forward, they could be forced into using a 1st/2nd on a back. 

We could do far worse than Dalvin Cook in the 15-20 pick range.

Royce Freeman was the one I didn't know was going back. That's unfortunate, as I had him as a possible 2nd round pick for us.

8 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

I don't know about that, how many one and done's of those years could of been mitigated buy an elite back? If nothing else I believe we could of at least won a few in Foxbough with an elite back

My point is we were more a passing team then so we never focused on getting an elite bruiser back. 

The problem with this team, and it's been this way for a long while is that we have to win with the Quarterback. That has to change. Whether it's with ground in pound offense or with a ball hawking/ sack making defense, it has to change. In my opinion to get the defense to that point it's going to take two drafts, this defense is not one draft away, so why not take a RB in the first if he's the best their? We are going to need multiple years to build the D anyway, but an argument can be made that the offense is only one dynamic rb away from being top 5. 

1 minute ago, James Ducheteau said:

The problem with this team, and it's been this way for a long while is that we have to win with the Quarterback. That has to change. Whether it's with ground in pound offense or with a ball hawking/ sack making defense, it has to change. In my opinion to get the defense to that point it's going to take two drafts, this defense is not one draft away, so why not take a RB in the first if he's the best their? We are going to need multiple years to build the D anyway, but an argument can be made that the offense is only one dynamic rb away from being top 5. 

I'd love to have a ball hawking secondary I've been hoping for that for sooooo long 

2 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

The thing is, Cook won't be the best there. This is a defense heavy draft, and 8 of the top 12 players are defense IMO. Just like 2014 and the WR's, when a draft is deep at something, you get your fair share.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The thing is, Cook won't be the best there. This is a defense heavy draft, and 8 of the top 12 players are defense IMO. Just like 2014 and the WR's, when a draft is deep at something, you get your fair share.

Problem is you know they are going to win this weekend, top 12 players are going to be out of our reach again for the sake of .500

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If peppers isn't there Cook will be the best there..Only really sure thing OLB is Garrett..If we dont go RB there are some really good corners..King or Tarkingsly will help our D a lot..

Just now, James Ducheteau said:

Problem is you know they are going to win this weekend, top 12 players are going to be out of our reach again for the sake of .500

One or two may fall to 15 or 16 if we are lucky. There's no absolutes in the draft. We just won't get a blue chip player. There's also a chance we lose. The Jags played hard last week without Gus Bradley as coach.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I want some damn safeties that will get more picks like Berry in KC or Reed did in Bal

I like our young safetys..that being said Id take Peppers with a smile on my face, maybe over Cook and that's hard for me to say..Id just turn Geathers into a hybrid safety linebacker which is what he is anyways..

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

One or two may fall to 15 or 16 if we are lucky. There's no absolutes in the draft. We just won't get a blue chip player. There's also a chance we lose. The Jags played hard last week without Gus Bradley as coach.

I don't see us losing, for some reason they seem to love the RAH RAH RAH games and this one stinks of it. "We wanted to play hard for Chuck..Blah Blah Blah..He's a great coach and we let him down..Blah Blah Blah...we wanted to finish strong for him!"

1 minute ago, James Ducheteau said:

I don't see us losing, for some reason they seem to love the RAH RAH RAH games and this one stinks of it. "We wanted to play hard for Chuck..Blah Blah Blah..He's a great coach and we let him down..Blah Blah Blah...we wanted to finish strong for him!"

Pagano would be a good high school or college coach..lol

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Really? Fournette won't even be there for us so it don't matter but he's an even better Zeke like 10 times more powerful.

I agree he's more powerful, but he's not as versatile as Cook.  Runs very few routes out of the backfield and I don't think he sees the field as well as Cook.  He's also not nearly as shifty.  FSU runs a more pro style offense while LSU does not.  My biggest issue with taking Fournette over Cook though, is Fournette is more fitted for a one-cut power scheme and Cook is a better fit for our zone scheme.  When I see Cook, I think of Marshall Faulk and when I see Fournette, I think of Adrian Peterson.  If you asked me to pick between Faulk or Peterson, I'm going with Faulk.  It's just my preference.

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I agree he's more powerful, but he's not as versatile as Cook.  Runs very few routes out of the backfield and I don't think he sees the field as well as Cook.  He's also not nearly as shifty.  FSU runs a more pro style offense while LSU does not.  My biggest issue with taking Fournette over Cook though, is Fournette is more fitted for a one-cut power scheme and Cook is a better fit for our zone scheme.  When I see Cook, I think of Marshall Faulk and when I see Fournette, I think of Adrian Peterson.  If you asked me to pick between Faulk or Peterson, I'm going with Faulk.  It's just my preference.

BINGO! Best post of the thread!

13 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Good argument

47 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I like our young safetys..that being said Id take Peppers with a smile on my face, maybe over Cook and that's hard for me to say..Id just turn Geathers into a hybrid safety linebacker which is what he is anyways..

I like Jamal Adams from LSU if we got another safety.

24 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Cook is way more powerful than faulk with all Faulks attributes..People forget about the edge at Miami before he tore his knee up..That's Cook..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

The more I watch foreman , the more i like him...If we don't go RB in first Id be ok with McCaffery, Gallman, or Foreman in that order in rd 2 or 3..Not sure any will be there in rd3 though..If not will better hope Bell isn't franchised and throw a ton of money his way..

I haven't seen anything saying Foreman was going to stay in school.  Everything I've seen as of Nov. 30th says he's entering the draft.   Somebody else had posted he was staying in school but I haven't seen it.

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Cook is way more powerful than faulk with all Faulks attributes..People forget about the edge at Miami before he tore his knee up..That's Cook..

Edgerin was a bit bigger and had a stockier lower half than Cook, which is why I say Faulk.  Cook could put on a few more pounds but I think he's got longer legs than Edge, in a proportional sense, that is.  But that's more of a nitpick than anything else.  In reality, if he was like either one of those guys, we'd be set at RB for the foreseeable future absent any sort of injury.  

Cook does have a power element to his game but I don't think he'll be as powerful as Edge and certainly not anywhere near Fournette.  Cook will be useful in goal line situations, but that won't be his niche.  I'd love to be wrong though.  If he can grind out tough yards inside the 5, as well as be a scoring threat anywhere on the field, I would be happy to have him on the Colts, even if that means we spent a 1st round pick on him.  And that's despite the fact that I don't think we should use a 1st round pick on a RB.

1 hour ago, James Ducheteau said:

Had we found a way to keep Faulk, instead of giving him away for nothing, it probably wouldn't have taken so long to win a Superbowl with Manning. And honestly if Edge hadn't gotten hurt we probably win more than one with Manning as well.

I agree with this.

Running backs who can run, catch, and block are rare. They can be real difference makers for you even if you are a pass heavy team. Have people already forgot how great Faulk/Edge were? If you can get a running back of that caliber then you absolutely jump at that chance. Is Cook of that caliber? I don't know.

So many are overlooking Cook just because he plays running back. If he is removed from first round consideration it should be based on what he would bring to the team on the field and not on what position he plays. I don't think it is right to automatically put Cook in a category with all other running backs and point to how you can find a good back in a later round. Cook might be in a category of his own.

Running backs are still important and can add to your win total. If you don't believe me then ask the Cowboys fans if they are glad they took Ezekiel Eilliott over Jalen Ramsey. (and Ramsey might be defensive rookie of the year. Cook probably will not be chosen over a potential defensive rookie of the year)

7 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

Everybody says it's so easy to get a rb, but we haven't had a rb to be excited about since edge, so whats the problem? If it's so easy to just get a rb in the later rounds why haven't we? Do we just not care about the rb position? And as far as turning Luck into Dak because we paired him with a great back is silly. That Rams team was a passing team, with Marshal, and I seriously doubt ole Kurt ever said "man I wish we wouldn't have gotten Marshal, he sure hurt my game".

Because the running game starts with the offensive line,  not the RB.  Remember Joseph Addai when the colts had a good offensive line?   Remember Joseph Addai when the colts offensive line went south?

Fournette is the guy you love to turn to in those nasty moments. When you want to get physical and pound it out. Sort of like how New England did us in Foxboro a couple years ago when they lined up in 2 tights, maybe even 6 OL and ran us over with Corey Dillon. Fournette is that type of guy.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Because the running game starts with the offensive line,  not the RB.  Remember Joseph Addai when the colts had a good offensive line?   Remember Joseph Addai when the colts offensive line went south?

We never had a good oline really..Manning and Moore masked them ...

We made the right choice with Kelly last year.  We have to make the right one this year.  i think we will.  We have to take the best player and at our pick  he should be a game changer.  A ball hawking CB.  A double team defensive guy...a RB who must be schemed for.  

The best player at our pick my well be Foster or Cunningham. I'm really surprised there hasn't been more talk about these 2. They are both 3 down guys that do it all. The best ILB prospects since Kuechly in 2012. If either are still on the board that's the play IMO. 

29 minutes ago, akcolt said:

The best player at our pick my well be Foster or Cunningham. I'm really surprised there hasn't been more talk about these 2. They are both 3 down guys that do it all. The best ILB prospects since Kuechly in 2012. If either are still on the board that's the play IMO. 

Cunningham is who I'm wanting right now before seeing the combine and pro days 

52 minutes ago, akcolt said:

The reason there's not more talk about these two is that neither provides much pass rush.

And that's what most of us are focused on.....     finding pass rush wherever we can.....