Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dalvin Cook (Mega Merge)


Recommended Posts

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I edited my Post, I thought it was PacerGeek that started it haha. PacerGeek said we should give up multiple Draft picks to get Cook.

It was a thread by pacergeek, but it got moved and merged

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, twfish said:

It was a thread by pacergeek, but it got moved and merged

Thanks for clearing that up. I was really confused for a moment because I know i saw pacergeek and was positive thats who i was responding to. You may want to undicate (or a mod) that it was merged. A handful of us were confused.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing this front office (and assuming that there are no big changes), I strongly believe that our pick will be Dalvin Cook if he is on the board at that position. There are several reasons for this and I am actually okay with it.

 

See heres the deal: We have the 14 or 15 pick (lets assume 15 cause we never win when it matters lol). In a typical draft (and this draft shows similar qualities) at that pick, there are no more elite pass rushers (essentially players that have a high chance of being an above average starter and have potential to be pro-bowl/all-pro). The issue after that group is that you are no longer drafting blue chip talent, you are essentially taking a chance when drafting a pass-rusher that is not in the top 10 level. I would rather not take a chance (especially with our record and Grigson's tendencies) with such a high pick. I would rather trade and pick later OR make a pick that is more of a sure thing (which I know is hard but its all relative). Compared to pass rusher, ILB, OL, S, DL are usually good positions to find. at ILB I like Cunningham but I feel that 14 is too early and he is more of a 20+ kind of guy so if we trade down we should hope for him. Other than that, I think that Dalvin Cook is more of a "sure-thing" than taking a chance at a defensive player who might or might not start and who might or might not be an above-average starter. Dalvin Cook would completely change how teams play against us and it would take away A LOT of pressure from Luck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Knowing this front office (and assuming that there are no big changes), I strongly believe that our pick will be Dalvin Cook if he is on the board at that position. There are several reasons for this and I am actually okay with it.

 

See heres the deal: We have the 14 or 15 pick (lets assume 15 cause we never win when it matters lol). In a typical draft (and this draft shows similar qualities) at that pick, there are no more elite pass rushers (essentially players that have a high chance of being an above average starter and have potential to be pro-bowl/all-pro). The issue after that group is that you are no longer drafting blue chip talent, you are essentially taking a chance when drafting a pass-rusher that is not in the top 10 level. I would rather not take a chance (especially with our record and Grigson's tendencies) with such a high pick. I would rather trade and pick later OR make a pick that is more of a sure thing (which I know is hard but its all relative). Compared to pass rusher, ILB, OL, S, DL are usually good positions to find. at ILB I like Cunningham but I feel that 14 is too early and he is more of a 20+ kind of guy so if we trade down we should hope for him. Other than that, I think that Dalvin Cook is more of a "sure-thing" than taking a chance at a defensive player who might or might not start and who might or might not be an above-average starter. Dalvin Cook would completely change how teams play against us and it would take away A LOT of pressure from Luck. 

Pretty much nailed it...The difference between the olb you can get at 15 is about the same as pick 45 in this draft...Cook or Fournette will probably be gone, but if 1 is there you take them..Only defensive player with value at 15 will be Foster or Cunningham unless we go safety which isn't a great need..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mulled over it today and I realized that the Colts almost have to take Cook. And here's why.

 

I took a look around the league and looked at a bunch of RBs. Jay Ajayi, David Johnson, Jordan Howard, Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley (he'll bounce back), Leveon Bell, Ezekiel Elliot, Lamar Miller, Jeremy Hill, Devonta Freeman. With the exception of Elliot, the league is filled with young successful RBs that the Colts have had a chance at.

 

No longer can the Colts sit and watch other teams draft RBs who come in and give the team the ground game that they need. The Colts want to be a physical team that can run the ball hard but they haven't had anyone to do it. Now we can say "oh they can get a RB later" but they may not get an elite one and then we'll be hear in a few months making the usual excuses about how he just needs more time, he's not being used right, or how he has all this potential.

 

The Colts cannot afford to pass on Cook which is why I think you see him mocked to us by every draft site. The Colts need to get an elite RB now while they have a chance.  They've waited long enough to get a franchise back and the time is now. Cook is an elite talent and will be more elite than any defensive player that might be there. I know we need a pass rusher and defense in general but a true elite RB is the missing piece to the offense. The O-line is improving too with Haeg and Clark starting to come into their own. Kelly will only get better. Mewhort is a stud. Combine that with a good RB like Cook and we can really get a consistent run game going. He doesn't need an A+ level O-line to be successful. Plus he's amazing in the passing game. I think he compares to LT. Colts cannot pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I mulled over it today and I realized that the Colts almost have to take Cook. And here's why.

 

I took a look around the league and looked at a bunch of RBs. Jay Ajayi, David Johnson, Jordan Howard, Melvin Gordon, Todd Gurley (he'll bounce back), Leveon Bell, Ezekiel Elliot, Lamar Miller, Jeremy Hill, Devonta Freeman. With the exception of Elliot, the league is filled with young successful RBs that the Colts have had a chance at.

 

No longer can the Colts sit and watch other teams draft RBs who come in and give the team the ground game that they need. The Colts want to be a physical team that can run the ball hard but they haven't had anyone to do it. Now we can say "oh they can get a RB later" but they may not get an elite one and then we'll be hear in a few months making the usual excuses about how he just needs more time, he's not being used right, or how he has all this potential.

 

The Colts cannot afford to pass on Cook which is why I think you see him mocked to us by every draft site. The Colts need to get an elite RB now while they have a chance.  They've waited long enough to get a franchise back and the time is now. Cook is an elite talent and will be more elite than any defensive player that might be there. I know we need a pass rusher and defense in general but a true elite RB is the missing piece to the offense. The O-line is improving too with Haeg and Clark starting to come into their own. Kelly will only get better. Mewhort is a stud. Combine that with a good RB like Cook and we can really get a consistent run game going. He doesn't need an A+ level O-line to be successful. Plus he's amazing in the passing game. I think he compares to LT. Colts cannot pass.

This is the best argument for Cook I've heard. Definitely will keep an eye on him leading up to the draft. At this point, he would be great value at 14 or 15.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think he knocked a girl out last year...Doubt we touch him...

I'm sure we won't. The guy knows he messed up if he had a history I wouldn't want to draft him but he made a mistake owned up to it and served his time. I just believe in 2nd chances everyone deserves them IMO but if you mess that up then I have no sympathy for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Scratch that mixon idea I'm sure he will return to OU 

The incident is also on tape and it's pretty bad. The reports were that he broke some bones in the girls face as well. Not sure if he can recover from that. It was smart of him to ask for the video to be released but he's going to get the Rice treatment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The incident is also on tape and it's pretty bad. The reports were that he broke some bones in the girls face as well. Not sure if he can recover from that. It was smart of him to ask for the video to be released but he's going to get the Rice treatment.

Scumbag 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The incident is also on tape and it's pretty bad. The reports were that he broke some bones in the girls face as well. Not sure if he can recover from that. It was smart of him to ask for the video to be released but he's going to get the Rice treatment.

He will for sure 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:09 PM, masnerj said:

Knowing this front office (and assuming that there are no big changes), I strongly believe that our pick will be Dalvin Cook if he is on the board at that position. There are several reasons for this and I am actually okay with it.

 

See heres the deal: We have the 14 or 15 pick (lets assume 15 cause we never win when it matters lol). In a typical draft (and this draft shows similar qualities) at that pick, there are no more elite pass rushers (essentially players that have a high chance of being an above average starter and have potential to be pro-bowl/all-pro). The issue after that group is that you are no longer drafting blue chip talent, you are essentially taking a chance when drafting a pass-rusher that is not in the top 10 level. I would rather not take a chance (especially with our record and Grigson's tendencies) with such a high pick. I would rather trade and pick later OR make a pick that is more of a sure thing (which I know is hard but its all relative). Compared to pass rusher, ILB, OL, S, DL are usually good positions to find. at ILB I like Cunningham but I feel that 14 is too early and he is more of a 20+ kind of guy so if we trade down we should hope for him. Other than that, I think that Dalvin Cook is more of a "sure-thing" than taking a chance at a defensive player who might or might not start and who might or might not be an above-average starter. Dalvin Cook would completely change how teams play against us and it would take away A LOT of pressure from Luck. 

 

For a new member and only 35 posts you are right on point.

Good job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2017 at 0:24 AM, Defjamz26 said:

The incident is also on tape and it's pretty bad. The reports were that he broke some bones in the girls face as well. Not sure if he can recover from that. It was smart of him to ask for the video to be released but he's going to get the Rice treatment.

Yeah, I wouldn't want the Colts to touch Mixon. Let some other team draft that punk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to disappoint but Cook who I would love to have is going to be gone in the first five. After the Florida State Michigan game, his stock just sailed up the board. He has even risen above Fournette, which I agree with since he can do so much more, and Fournette has been injury prone. Bottom line, he won't be there at 14.

 

The one thing I am hoping which is happening at least right now is RB and QB's are sneaking back into the 1st round. Cook and Fournette, Trubisky from NC, and Deshaun Watson has made a big jump. I believe they all go top 10, which means a quality LB like Foster moves back. If Foster was there at 11 or 12, and we were at 14, I would go up to get him. Just like we did with Kelly this year, we need a sure fire fit who can play right away in the first round, no gambles. Foster can cover, is a fierce tackling machine, and would make a great leader in the middle!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Briggs32 said:

If we do draft Cook, I hope we sign Zeitler, Leary or Whitworth. I would love Zeitler at a 5-6 year deal at 8/9 million a year if we could.  Castonzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Zeitler, Haeg looks good.  

Exactly, no sense in drafting cook if we don't have a line for him to run behind

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • What kind of sideline stars you you think he will prioritize, profile wise?  Trait wise?  Body type.   I see every indication that he values WRs with straight line speed and maybe height more than lateral wiggle.   Something more like an Arians type of down the field post or hook WR than a crossing route wiggly WR.  Agreeing that route running ability and hands are priorities, I see speed and height and even physicality being valued more than wiggle.   I see edge DEs as prioritizing rotational/situational players and not so much 3 down players.  The 3T being the steady 3 down player.   None of this is bad, or the wrong identity, just observations for others to consider.   I'm not sure what he prioritizes in CBs.  I think he sees length as very important.   I think having players with certain traits or skills dictates what a team can do well, and not do so well.  And I think a lot of teams stick to a steady philosophy...KC and BALT coming to mind.   I'm not exactly sure where the traits I think Ballard values results in what identity.  I think it seems more traditional than innovative, not that its a bad thing, but I think it matters as far as what kind of team we expect to see.
    • I would of thought they did the right thing and got the wrong result. That's different. As long as we used all 3 QBs throughout the year and learned everything we could from them, I would be fine from it, especially since we would be in position again to draft a top QB and dump Kelly and probably Eason at that point.   As a blackjack card counter and poker player, I have a saying. "It's not about what result you get, it's about continuously making the right play every time and things will work out over a long sample size." It's about creating positive EV (expected value). That's how you win. Ballard is doing that through other positions in the draft very well and we have a solid team mostly. Now he needs to do it through the QB position in every way possible and hope things sort themselves out.
    • My bad, I thought CEH was taken later in round 2.    I still think considering the trade up, and the fact that straight ahead Mack wasn't offered a contract, he valued/needed straight ahead JT more than CEH.  He probably would have still taken Pittman if CEH was on the board.  
    • Bend Dnt Break same things it's been since Colts been Coltin' 
    • I'm curious, if the front office decided to go this route and we started 0-4, with Eason/Kelly/draftedQB, do you think you would be happy that they're taking their bumps or would your mental health suffer from it?   I guess just be careful what you ask for.
  • Members

    • Zoltan

      Zoltan 365

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jared Cisneros

      Jared Cisneros 5,497

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SteelCityColt

      SteelCityColt 8,994

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 2,449

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CRASH

      CRASH 13

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • legend300

      legend300 115

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WarGhost21

      WarGhost21 1,467

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BeanDiasucci

      BeanDiasucci 147

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nesjan3

      Nesjan3 1,121

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad72

      chad72 13,153

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...