Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will FA's want to come here next year?

That's tough small market then Grig's and Pagano to boot.

Free Agents typically go to the team that's going to pay the most money. I'm going out on a limb and say  if we offer enough money  more than anyone else then the FA will play here.but if one team offers more Grig's will scare them off  

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:28 PM, Colts1324 said:

We have a lot of cap space available. We have to spend a lot of it. We will. But do you think too free agents will give Indy a chance having not made the playoffs? And with Grigson and Pagano leading this team? 

Players went to Atlanta for big money deals and they had not made the playoffs in 3-4 years so ya I think they will if the deal works for both sides this team has the potential as long as Luck is QB here.

The Colts aren't far off from being contenders....People think they're trash but at worst they're average based on the record.....And it doesn't take much to go from average to contender. A few strategic free agents and another solid draft like this past one and they're right back in it.

On 12/25/2016 at 10:28 AM, Colts1324 said:

We have a lot of cap space available. We have to spend a lot of it. We will. But do you think too free agents will give Indy a chance having not made the playoffs? And with Grigson and Pagano leading this team? 

Free agents will come here.

What we won't get is a real discount from a player coming in from another team.    We're going to have to pay market value to get them and outbid other teams.

We may get a bit of a discount for our own players who want to stay.

We're not bad enough that players are going to stay away from the Colts.      Free agents sign with Cleveland and Jacksonville and Oakland,  you name it.       If you pay,  they'll come and play.....

3 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

The Colts aren't far off from being contenders....People think they're trash but at worst they're average based on the record.....And it doesn't take much to go from average to contender. A few strategic free agents and another solid draft like this past one and they're right back in it.

I don't think the Colts are trash. I totally agree with you that the Colts are only a few players a way from being a top contender. I know a lot free agents have given us discounts in the past, but I assume we will no longer get those even with Andrew Luck at QB. It is going to be hard to get top free agents with a team that hasn't made the playoffs the last two years and a GM that doesn't pay high dollars to free agents either.   

On 12/25/2016 at 2:11 PM, akcolt said:

That's tough small market then Grig's and Pagano to boot.

Free Agents typically go to the team that's going to pay the most money. I'm going out on a limb and say  if we offer enough money  more than anyone else then the FA will play here.but if one team offers more Grig's will scare them off  

That's my feeling too. I'm sure the browns, Jags, bills, 49ers, chargers, and titans will all be offering big chunks of change to players. In the past, I felt like if a bad team offered a top free agent 10-11million and we offered them 9. A lot of players would choose here. I doubt that happens this year. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Free agents will come here.

What we won't get is a real discount from a player coming in from another team.    We're going to have to pay market value to get them and outbid other teams.

We may get a bit of a discount for our own players who want to stay.

We're not bad enough that players are going to stay away from the Colts.      Free agents sign with Cleveland and Jacksonville and Oakland,  you name it.       If you pay,  they'll come and play.....

This. . . we arn't going to get discounted players looking for that Super Bowl anymore.  But I'm not sure we want those guys anyways.  Most of those guys are older players and of the older players we signed as FA's, only Gore has really been worth the money.

9 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

we arn't going to get discounted players looking for that Super Bowl anymore.

What discounted players did we ever get? Gore, AJ and Cole all got fair contracts, given their age and recent production. 

The only player that I think the Colts ever got at a discount was Reggie Wayne, and that's a different story entirely.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

What discounted players did we ever get? Gore, AJ and Cole all got fair contracts, given their age and recent production. 

The only player that I think the Colts ever got at a discount was Reggie Wayne, and that's a different story entirely.

Yup......

I think it was a little white lie that Grigson and Pagano liked to say in Luck's first few years here...

"Oh,  everyone wants to play with Andrew Luck and the Colts!".....    or some such words close to that...

Year after year I looked for a quality player that wanted to join the Colts and gave us something that LOOKED LIKE a bit of a discount.     Always had a hard time finding it....

But, they've stopped saying that the last few years.....      we move on and we mostly pay full retail....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup......

I think it was a little white lie that Grigson and Pagano liked to say in Luck's first few years here...

"Oh,  everyone wants to play with Andrew Luck and the Colts!".....    or some such words close to that...

Year after year I looked for a quality player that wanted to join the Colts and gave us something that LOOKED LIKE a bit of a discount.     Always had a hard time finding it....

But, they've stopped saying that the last few years.....      we move on and we mostly pay full retail....

I think they probably got calls from agents in FA, which led them to believe that they were a popular destination. That might have been the case, and we wouldn't really know. I don't think they said anyone gave them a discount; they just said Luck made Indy a draw, and I think that's true, based on what some of those players have said publicly.

But I don't think free agents give teams discounts, especially not guys in their prime. Sometimes you'll have a guy take less to stay with his team, like Reggie did. You'll have some guys in the twilight of their career searching for a winning program, and maybe they'll leave some money on the table. But when difference makers hit free agency, in their prime, they chase the money, almost without exception. 

So I don't think the Colts were getting any discounts. Like you said, they've mostly paid sticker price, sometimes a little bit higher.

17 hours ago, Superman said:

D'Qwell Jackson claimed that he was offered more money elsewhere.  

I think you can sometimes get older players at a discount because they want to win a SB.  But players in their prime likely won't play at a discount.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

D'Qwell Jackson claimed that he was offered more money elsewhere.  

I think you can sometimes get older players at a discount because they want to win a SB.  But players in their prime likely won't play at a discount.

I don't remember that about D'Qwell, but it could be true.