Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Healthy, I Truly Believe #18 Can Give Us At Least 2 More Sb Wins

IcyRhythms

I think Peyton's mystic has grown a ton with this past season, but to think this is truly a Super Bowl caliber team with a helathy Manning you are just kidding yourself.

This has shown all of its worts when Manning went down and has shown why we consistently come up short. We rely way to much on Peyton and when he struggles or at the very least is not superhuman we lose.

This team needs a massive makeover on the defensive side the ball, still needs improvement in the running game and along the offensive line. This team as constructed is a wild card team and a first round loss and that is it.

I think you started seeing signs of that last year. The more the Colts leaned on Manning to save the day, the harder that task became because of the deteriorating team around him.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from another Topic...

keeping aging veteran stars past their prime is not the way to run your team. Ask the Cowboys, they haven't been the same team since Aikman left. They kept him too long.

The Packers traded Farve when he still had gas in the tank. Nearly a MVP season his first year in Minnesota. Guess what? The Packers have gone on to win a Superbowl since then being led by Favres replacement.

The 49ers traded Joe Montana in his mid-30s to the Cheifs. Guess what? They won a Superbowl with his replacement Steve Young.

If you keep aging veteran stars past their primes your team has nothing to build on. We have the chance to draft the best college QB in a while. We can't keep him and Manning on the same team at the same time, so it's time to choose between building a team to compete for the next 10+ years or try to build a team of aging veterans to compete for 2-4 years TOPS.

And don't give me the excuse "I'd rather win a super bowl in the next 3 years than compete for 10+". Peyton is my favorite player of all-time but he won 1 Superbowl in his prime. He's 36 with terrible neck problem, he's not going to come back as the same Peyton Manning we watched for the first 13 years.

Let's be realistic guys, we're rebuilding around Andrew or RG3. New gm, new coaching staff, new defense, new QB, new attitude. Who knows, maybe we can have a year like the Bengals and surprise everyone next year (I know our defense would have to step up). Whatever happens lets all stay true to the team and support them no matter what.

Hello, TheLobeck. New member here, testing the comment waters of the forum... :)

The statements in bold have one thing in common. They are all different from the situation that the Colts face. Favre and Montana's careers at their respective teams were only terminated when the team was 100% certain they had an equal or better replacement. Rodgers had been in Green Bay for some time as had Steve Young in San Francisco. The Colts do not have a quarterback waiting in the wings that they can count on to lead them.

Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III are only hopes. They are not realities. And while they may indeed be the future of the Colts, it is also just as likely that they may not be. If Peyton is healthy, he is not a hope. He is a proven reality, and as such, is a factor in the immediate future of the Colts. Luck and Griffin III were both great competitors in college, and I do see your point. However, we have to keep in mind that a good college career does not always result in a successful NFL career. If our pick should result in a 'bust', this franchise may end up like the Cleveland Browns.

While the need is certainly prevalent to plan for the future with a newer, younger team, it must not be done at the expense of the present. The Colts must draft young and continue to play their vetrans to possible Super Bowl berths while grooming the young draft picks to take over in 2-3 years. While I am not opposed to taking Luck or Griffin III as the #1 pick, I am convinced that Peyton Manning, if healthy, gives us the best opportunity to win, and thus should be the starter when the 2012 season kicks off.

Defense: Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, Bethea, Powers (Solid, when healthy).

Offense: Brown, Garcon, Iljana, Castanzo, Collie, Wayne (Still, if we resign him).

sure does seem to me they went to the playoffs just two years ago with peyton and these players. with better coaching who knows what could happen..imo i think this mp is a patriots fan or has memory loss jmo

sure does seem to me they went to the playoffs just two years ago with peyton and these players. with better coaching who knows what could happen..imo i think this mp is a patriots fan or has memory loss jmo

Two years is a long time in the NFL. We have I believe 19 players that are free agents, if we sign Manning we cannot afford to sign them all. So it will NOT be the same team. We would be closer to the 10 win team from two years ago than the 14 win one from three.

Some must understand that at the end of the day, football/NFL is still a business FIRST. It isn't about being out of the field and trying to execute play calls until the business side of the NFL is taken care of first. Having said that, I think a lot of us have ACCEPTED deep down, that Peyton Manning could either retire, or be wearing another teams jersey by the start of next season. I say it's a business first because as many others have stated here many times, look at Montanna for further proof. At the end of the day, these owners DO NOT care about you as a player. If they feel you can no longer deliver at a high level, they send you packing.

If #18 feels in his heart along with a healthy body that he can still play in the NFL and dominate the way no other ever has, Irsay should let him have AT LEAST one more shot. If I'm a healthy and cleared by doctors Peyton Manning, I go to Irsay and ask for one more year. If I can't get it done, feel free to do whatever you want with me. Peyton is the most competitive player I've seen since Woods and Jordan. Despite it still being a business and trying to move in a different direction, I truly say the Colts would be fools to let this guy go before he gets one more chance to prove himself

I am sure Irsay would be more than happy to give one more year to prove himself if Peyton is willing to restructure to make his contract more friendly if he does not get back to where he was.

I dont know what some of you really expect Irsay to do. I know some believe that the Colts are good enough to win a championship with this team as it sits, but come on do you really believe that with the number of free agents we have? Our best players are all old, getting older, and often injured.

It is time to rebuild the team, we are not good enough to even win our division next year imo. Houston has a far better defense, far better RB, far better WR, far better OL, etc. The only thing we could potentially have better is Manning and that is not enough, not at 36 coming off neck issues.

I have a hard time understanding people that call themselves a Colt fan, and then turn around and basically say "come on man, more Superbowls in few years time? You're kidding yourself" way to remain hopeful and a true fan of the team. I'm not living Neverland fantasies, but as others have pointed out, Luck is only a maybe where Manning is a proven elite QB in this league. If the guy can still play, ask yourself why not. It won't hurt to sit Luck behind(who in my mind is the greatest player to ever play the game QB or otherwise)Manning for a year or two. Show some respect. You should feel fortunate you're being drafted at all. Some players work and play harder than a lot of these aholes that make into the league thinking they're the greatest before even taking a snap, and never make it to the NFL. Luck seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and his ego doesn't seem huge. It won't kill him

lmao I'm realistic. Thank god other level headed posters háve entered this thread unlike u. Not sure if u completely understand what I said earlier so I will try my best to dumb it down a little just in case it wasnt clear for anybody.

I have been a colts fan all my life and a season ticket holder for 2 years I was on the waiting list for 4 years. I'm willing to put my fanhood up against any person on here, but I'm not a delusional colts fan. Like other poster stated this team has been declining for years. We r changing the scheme on both sides of the ball and it doesn't happen overnight. We aren't going to all of the sudden run better, pass block better, have better dline play, or play better in the secondary overnight it's just not realistic. Neither do I think an aging/coming off a year layoff due to injury Peyton manning can hide the flaws of this team anymore. We simply don't have the talent. It sounds crazy to me that people think all of the sudden we just get better and manning can do something it took him like 9 years to do at the snap of a finger. It's not easy to win the super bowl at all. You have to be well balanced and healthy. Which we r not. So no I'm not a pats fan that's just ignorant to even assume just because I don't agree with u.

Could the 2011 team have made the playoffs (with a healthy Peyton at QB)? I think so.

Okay, any playoff team has a shot at the SB. If you don't believe that, just look at the last three years. No one gave the Cards a shot. The Pack barely made it into the playoffs last year. No one thought the Giants had a shot at the beginning of this season.

You just have to get hot in the playoffs. I think the 11 team had more talent than the injury riddled 10 team, and that team was a couple bad coaching calls from advancing. Who knows what could have happened in Pittsburgh. Momentum builds.

It just kills me when people ABSOLUTELY can say we can't win. It shows their ignorance IMHO.

The Cotls are a team that's been on the decline for years, and now finally is in the rebuilding phase.

So will we win another SB with Peyton Manning? No...not unless he plays for another 3+ seasons at top form or close to it and our new players/coaches work out. It will take at least this long to implement/gather all the pieces we need to ditch our god awful Tampa 2 and field an NFL worthy defense. (Also fielding an O-line worth it's salt and special teams as well would be a plus)

IF (and that's a big if) Manning plays and is close to his previous form we'll crash and burn in the playoffs per the norm against...a team that doesn't suck. Like always.

Unless lightning strikes and the D/O-line/ST all magically show up in 1-2 seasons instead. (Not happening.)

At least you understand that the window has closed on winning another SB with the old Colts. People talked about it closing years ago and now it has. Rebuilding now is the only thing that will get us there.(and maybe keep us there) I love Peyton and hate the situation we are in but the only thing that makes sense is to release him and rebuild unless he is healthy by March 8 which is not going to happen. The Colts ARE setup for a nice rebuild but only if they play their cards right because right now we actually have cards to work with.

The statements in bold have one thing in common. They are all different from the situation that the Colts face. Favre and Montana's careers at their respective teams were only terminated when the team was 100% certain they had an equal or better replacement. Rodgers had been in Green Bay for some time as had Steve Young in San Francisco. The Colts do not have a quarterback waiting in the wings that they can count on to lead them.

While the need is certainly prevalent to plan for the future with a newer, younger team, it must not be done at the expense of the present. The Colts must draft young and continue to play their vetrans to possible Super Bowl berths while grooming the young draft picks to take over in 2-3 years. While I am not opposed to taking Luck or Griffin III as the #1 pick, I am convinced that Peyton Manning, if healthy, gives us the best opportunity to win, and thus should be the starter when the 2012 season kicks off.

I think my examples are similar in a lot of ways. Are they the exact same? No, they are not. I did not intend for you to think they were the exact same situation but they all share a common theme...

If you keep your aging QB too long your team has a long recovery time ahead. The Packers and 49ers were able to move on even though their fans were still in love with Farve and Montana, and even though they both had gas left in the tank. Manning from what we've heard is struggling to get healthy and their is no chance in my opinion he will be better before March 8th.

Your theory is the "perfect situation" but unrealistic to say the least. Does Peyton give us the best chance to win if healthy? Abso-freakin-lutely...but I don't think he will be next year. If you think a 36 year old who has had 3 neck surgeries in the last 2 years is going to come back like nothing happened your living in a fantasy land.

By the way, welcome. I'm also new here. Go Colts

To these comments about the team "declining for years" ...

2009 - one of the greatest all time seasons, team probably could have went undefeated, made it to the super bowl and lost a game they should have won, because of bad luck on 3 plays.

2010 - team was decimated by injuries, more debilitating (IR) injuries than any team in NFL History (my guess), yet they still won the division title and should have won their first playoff game, if not for horrendous special teams play.

2011 - the all-time great QB is out for the season and the rest of the team again suffers a plethora of injuries. Yet, if not for very poor special teams, they would have opened the season at 4-2.

Honestly, these people that say the team has been in decline for years, quite frankly, are simply sensationalists that are greatly exaggerating matters or they do not know what they are talking about.

The last 2 years the team as been off because of a ridiculous amount of injuries and bad special teams (and arguably not the best coaching schemes). Sure the team needs to fill some holes, some made more glaring by this past season's debacle, but this mantra that the team has been declining for years is nothing but hogwash. The team is only 2 injury riddled years removed from being one of the best teams ever by performance.

I saw this post and thought for sure I must have written it.

Naysayers aside. A healthy 36 year old Peyton Manning with an adequate defense and running game will win super bowls.

The losses of last season were all attributable to turn overs, 3 and outs, lack of down field plays, and a one dimensional offense.

The defensive problems stemmed from a negative time of possession and field position.

All resulting from inadequate QB play.

The team needs a speed deep threat opposite Wayne, one or two veteran corners, a short yardage back, and depth in the offensive line. Surely the new Colts brain trust can solve this within the salary cap for the purpose of winning a Super Bowl.

Some must understand that at the end of the day, football/NFL is still a business FIRST. It isn't about being out of the field and trying to execute play calls until the business side of the NFL is taken care of first. Having said that, I think a lot of us have ACCEPTED deep down, that Peyton Manning could either retire, or be wearing another teams jersey by the start of next season. I say it's a business first because as many others have stated here many times, look at Montanna for further proof. At the end of the day, these owners DO NOT care about you as a player. If they feel you can no longer deliver at a high level, they send you packing.

If #18 feels in his heart along with a healthy body that he can still play in the NFL and dominate the way no other ever has, Irsay should let him have AT LEAST one more shot. If I'm a healthy and cleared by doctors Peyton Manning, I go to Irsay and ask for one more year. If I can't get it done, feel free to do whatever you want with me. Peyton is the most competitive player I've seen since Woods and Jordan. Despite it still being a business and trying to move in a different direction, I truly say the Colts would be fools to let this guy go before he gets one more chance to prove himself

I agree with you. If he can healthy, with a better defense, and the better running attack shown, I see no reason why not. So many slam the team as being 2-14, but with a decent QB they would have done much better. I think, other then secondary, this is a stronger team then the last playoff team. Throw in some change up defense and they can do it.

Lets not forgot that as someone posted, this team (with Manning) is not that much different than the Super Bowl team. it is not like we suddenly have no players. Sure, the whole thing is based around Manning, but when he plays, we can beat anyone.

lmao I'm realistic. Thank god other level headed posters háve entered this thread unlike u. Not sure if u completely understand what I said earlier so I will try my best to dumb it down a little just in case it wasnt clear for anybody.

I have been a colts fan all my life and a season ticket holder for 2 years I was on the waiting list for 4 years. I'm willing to put my fanhood up against any person on here, but I'm not a delusional colts fan. Like other poster stated this team has been declining for years. We r changing the scheme on both sides of the ball and it doesn't happen overnight. We aren't going to all of the sudden run better, pass block better, have better dline play, or play better in the secondary overnight it's just not realistic. Neither do I think an aging/coming off a year layoff due to injury Peyton manning can hide the flaws of this team anymore. We simply don't have the talent. It sounds crazy to me that people think all of the sudden we just get better and manning can do something it took him like 9 years to do at the snap of a finger. It's not easy to win the super bowl at all. You have to be well balanced and healthy. Which we r not. So no I'm not a pats fan that's just ignorant to even assume just because I don't agree with u.

read rockyroj and try to learn and understand maybe he makes it simple enough for you to understand. i truly hope so.. but maybe not..

As for March, if I was the owner, somehow some way I would find a way to renegotiate with Manning to give him more time to actually become healthy, before having to set him loose. I would want him with the team until it can be proven that he will not be healthy in time for the season. Whether above the table or underneath the table, the man would be paid to continue his rehab as a member of the Colts. When the season rolls around, if he is not healthy enough to play, then he is simply not healthy enough to play. Then the plan would be to pay him off to retire as Colts property. If he is healthy enough to play, then great, the legend would continue as a member of the Colts. To me, it's either healthy enough to play as a Colt or not healthy enough to play at all. I would find a way to work around the bonus date thingy.

The problem with that is that so many of the other decisions this team needs to make hinge on what is going to happen with Manning. I get what you're saying and had been thinking about that myself except that until they make the decision on Manning so much else gets left in limbo which they can't afford to do.

Besides, from all accounts Manning has no interest in moving it back, and the players union might try to prevent it from happening.

read rockyroj and try to learn and understand maybe he makes it simple enough for you to understand. i truly hope so.. but maybe not..

2008 ypg allowed: 311 yards

2009 ypg allowed:339 yards

2010 ypg allowed: 342 yards

2011 ypg allowed: 370 yards

2008 forced turnovers:22

2009 forced turnovers:22

2010 forced turnovers:15

2011 forced turnovers:13

2008 ppg allowed: 18

2009 ppg allowed: 19

2010 ppg allowed: 24

2011 ppg allowed: 27

2008 W-L 12-4

2009 W-L 14-2

2010 W-L 10-6

2011 W-L 2-14

I'm sorry guys, we went 2-14 this year and could very easily have gone winless. We are not a QB away from being a legitimate superbowl team. I think the sooner some of you understand that, the easier the next few seasons are going to be.

As has already been said, up until now with Manning we've won one superbowl. It's completely illogical to think he's going to come back from 3 neck surgeries and somehow win two more at age 36.

As has already been said, up until now with Manning we've won one superbowl. It's completely illogical to think he's going to come back from 3 neck surgeries and somehow win two more at age 36.

My opinion as well

Seriously.........two more super bowls? Got us 1 in 15 but u expect him to get us 2 in 2-4 years?

Yes. They will (apparently) have a defense around him now, and coaches that are capable of calling a game without depending on him.

You are also not looking at it correctly (no surprise there), but he took us to two in 5 years. When he peaked, despite not having coaches or a defense, he got us there twice in a short span.

Luck would likely get us zero, because that's the average among top QB prospects coming out of college. Do you think he'd give us a better shot than a healthy Manning? Of course you do...you've been trolling these boards since the Colts have been in the hunt for Luck - defending him any time someone claims any NFL QB has ever been better than Andrew Luck.

You realize Peyton practically got us there all by himself, right? Imagine what he could do with a defense and some coaching. He'd never lose.

To these comments about the team "declining for years" ...

2009 - one of the greatest all time seasons, team probably could have went undefeated, made it to the super bowl and lost a game they should have won, because of bad luck on 3 plays.

No defense. No special teams. No coach. No O-line. No run game. ALL PEYTON MANNING, Wayne, Clark, and Collie. If 2/3 of our team and coaching staff weren't a joke, (literally, ANY of them would have been nice) our QB and his helpers were good enough to carry the day.

2010 - team was decimated by injuries, more debilitating (IR) injuries than any team in NFL History (my guess), yet they still won the division title and should have won their first playoff game, if not for horrendous special teams play.

Same as above, only with more injuries. No Clark = blah.

2011 - the all-time great QB is out for the season and the rest of the team again suffers a plethora of injuries. Yet, if not for very poor special teams, they would have opened the season at 4-2.

Same as above, only no Manning. BOOM 2-14 and within spitting distance of 0-16.

Honestly, these people that say the team has been in decline for years, quite frankly, are simply sensationalists that are greatly exaggerating matters or they do not know what they are talking about.

Our defense has gone from poor to flat out trash.

Our special teams never existed to begin with.

Our O-line gets pushed around like a bunch of grade schoolers. They can't pass OR run block. (Run blocking is better this season, but it's mediocre on a good day.)

We lost a mediocre coach (Dungy) and decent O-line coach/OC and got Caldwell and his boys.

That's a decline, and a pretty substantial one. Not to mention all of our star players aging and become less effective every season. (Freeney) We are NOT a good team. I don't know how much more obvious it can be than after watching us go 2-14 after missing ONE key player. HE CARRIED THE TEAM.

Seriously what other team goes 2-14 from missing their QB? The Texans were on their third and still made the playoffs. It's amazing what a TEAM THAT ISN'T INEPT can do when they lose a valuable player.

Don't worry, if Manning doesn't play we can aim for a 4-12 season with Luck at the helm while he learns the ropes and we rebuild. Maybe that will wake a few more people up. Yeah, 4-12. At least that's a step in the right direction.

Yes. They will (apparently) have a defense around him now, and coaches that are capable of calling a game without depending on him.

You are also not looking at it correctly (no surprise there), but he took us to two in 5 years. When he peaked, despite not having coaches or a defense, he got us there twice in a short span.

Luck would likely get us zero, because that's the average among top QB prospects coming out of college. Do you think he'd give us a better shot than a healthy Manning? Of course you do...you've been trolling these boards since the Colts have been in the hunt for Luck - defending him any time someone claims any NFL QB has ever been better than Andrew Luck.

You realize Peyton practically got us there all by himself, right? Imagine what he could do with a defense and some coaching. He'd never lose.

Troll?? So someone is a troll because there opinion differs from your. Ignorant much?I also have been on here waaaay before the suck 4 luck. I'm sorry u feel that way and sorry ur always do quick to name call in an debate, that says a lot about a person. You must be one depressed person.

Sorry it just did seen logical to ME that this defense can all of the sudden go from horrible to greatness overnight. I apologize I didn't realize Irsay hired a magician. Peyton did catch his throws, run the ball, or play defense that's why I wasn't aware he did it all by himself my bad I forgot. Btw he's the guy who said since manning took one year off he is actually more like a 32 year old hahaha

@MP: Just...stop. We get it. Luck is better than Manning already...

Hello, TheLobeck. New member here, testing the comment waters of the forum... :)

Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III are only hopes. They are not realities. And while they may indeed be the future of the Colts, it is also just as likely that they may not be. If Peyton is healthy, he is not a hope. He is a proven reality, and as such, is a factor in the immediate future of the Colts. Luck and Griffin III were both great competitors in college, and I do see your point. However, we have to keep in mind that a good college career does not always result in a successful NFL career. If our pick should result in a 'bust', this franchise may end up like the Cleveland Browns.

Best post of...ever. The NFL is more about now than it is tomorrow. 2 years is a long time, which is why we need to think about now, and not years from now. If Manning can play, you absolutely keep him and play him. You know what you get with him: the bar-none, best QB in the history of the game. 36 and surgeries doesn't matter when his body will have a year off and be pain-free. His style of play would have allowed him to play until he was 45. Favre and Warner could still play if they wanted to, and they'd be better than 2/3 of the QB's in the league.

Luck is a good prospect. That is all. I say we draft him, play Manning, and do our best to win now, and in the future.

Two years is a long time in the NFL. We have I believe 19 players that are free agents, if we sign Manning we cannot afford to sign them all. So it will NOT be the same team. We would be closer to the 10 win team from two years ago than the 14 win one from three.

I am sure Irsay would be more than happy to give one more year to prove himself if Peyton is willing to restructure to make his contract more friendly if he does not get back to where he was.

I dont know what some of you really expect Irsay to do. I know some believe that the Colts are good enough to win a championship with this team as it sits, but come on do you really believe that with the number of free agents we have? Our best players are all old, getting older, and often injured.

It is time to rebuild the team, we are not good enough to even win our division next year imo. Houston has a far better defense, far better RB, far better WR, far better OL, etc. The only thing we could potentially have better is Manning and that is not enough, not at 36 coming off neck issues.

Really? Because this team beat the Texans with Dan Orlovsky. We almost knocked off Pittsburgh and the Patriots with Collins and Painter. This team was 12 wins with Manning. Stop listening to the talking heads. The 10 win season was an aberration, not the reality. New draft picks, now new coaches and new styles, give Manning the full training camp to use and implement it, and this team could be ridiculous.

Where are we going to get this magic defense and running game I keep hearing about?

Doogan has special fairy dust he will sprinkle all over the 56th street complex and LOS. It's carefully designed by little mini doogans in the back of bed bath and beyond and Christopher walken is the general manager of every Doogan fairy dust inc. don't worry though my inside sources tell me the dust will NOT transform any players from other teams it has a special built in flux capacitor. So OP yes pm will win 5 more rings in 5 years via Doogan dust

Doogan has special fairy dust be will sprinkle all over the 56th street complex and LOS. It's carefully designed by little mini doogans in the back of bed bath and beyond and Christopher walken is the general manager of ever Doogan fairy dust inc. don't worry though my inside sources tell me the dust will NOT transform any players from other teams it has a special built in flux capacitor. So OP yes pm will win 5 more rings in 5 years via Doogan dust

That all seems logical. haha

Doogan has special fairy dust he will sprinkle all over the 56th street complex and LOS. It's carefully designed by little mini doogans in the back of bed bath and beyond and Christopher walken is the general manager of ever Doogan fairy dust inc. don't worry though my inside sources tell me the dust will NOT transform any players from other teams it has a special built in flux capacitor. So OP yes pm will win 5 more rings in 5 years via Doogan dust

I don't remember Scrooge having any magical fairy dust

I'm sorry but I fail to see the problem in believing that a man who has played over 90 ball games with the unrepaired injury, winning 2 MVPs, a championship and another Super Bowl trip, might possibly be able play fairly well after it is repaired.

What makes that such an impossibility?

I'm sorry but I fail to see the problem in believing that a man who has played over 90 ball games with the unrepaired injury, winning 2 MVPs, a championship and another Super Bowl trip, might possibly be able play fairly well after it is repaired.

You make a great point. Problem being that nobody knows if it's "repaired" or not.

Sorry, I had to laugh out loud.

The Colts had no defense in '06? Do you REALLY want to go back and actually look at what that defense did in the playoffs? They certainly out-performed Peyton.

We don't have the TEAM to do it. Im not saying Peyton can't I'm just saying with this team I don't think he can. If we trade defense with 49ers yes but this d is awful.