Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Moncrief in the Colts long term plans?

He played injured this year and still tied most consecutive TD'S catches for games in franchise history. Last year he was tearing it up and probably would have had 1,000 yards along with hilton if luck had not been injured. He's the only red zone WR we have and he plays probably the most physical. Yes the Colts will retain him.

5 minutes ago, twfish said:

He played injured this year and still tied most consecutive TD'S catches for games in franchise history. Last year he was tearing it up and probably would have had 1,000 yards along with hilton if luck had not been injured. He's the only red zone WR we have and he plays probably the most physical. Yes the Colts will retain him.

He is very inconsistent though that's my problem with him he has say 11 catches for ove 100 yards in one game then next game he does little to nothing I think we could find better.

I don't think he's worth much on the open market. He's a number 2 receiver who's still relatively unproven. He hasn't really shown the ability to take over a game and command #1 receiver money. At the most someone like the Cardinals who just lost Floyd would pay him $7 million a year because Fitz is retiring soon and they'll have a hole at WR. But no other team would pay him more than $4 million annually.

But he has to be in the Colts long term plans. Despite what some people believe Dorsett is a bust and won't see a second contract. If they don't re-sign Moncrief then they're back at where they were in 2013 with only Hilton as a legit receiver. When healthy he's good and produces. And he's a beast in the red zone which is the one thing he has on Hilton. He's not irreplaceable like Hilton is though.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

He is very inconsistent though that's my problem with him he has say 11 catches for ove 100 yards in one game then next game he does little to nothing I think we could find better.

Same thing with hilton, same thing with every WR.  I don't think chud has used him right outside of the red zone this year.

4 hours ago, twfish said:

Yes he did pretty good last year. I like Moncrief don't get me wrong. I just think he lacks getting separation from the defender. He is good in the Red Zone. But we need him to be a top No. 2 receiver with TY getting more double teams every game. 

17 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Will we resign or extend Moncrief? I personally would hate to "waste" a third round pick but if Moncrief asks for more than 5+ million, he has done nothing to justify that. How much do you think he will get on the open market? 

I don't know if we'll re-sign Moncrief THIS off-season,  but we don't have to.

We do have to re-sign him before NEXT off-season.    (Mid-March)

And yes,  he's in the Colts long-term plans.   

If I had to guess right now,   Moncrief will make somewhere between $7.5 and $9 Mill.       The fans in this thread won't be happy with that number.      But fans on this website have never been happy about big contracts.

Most didn't like Luck's deal.      Most didn't like Hilton's deal.      And most didn't like Castanzo's deal.     Moncrief will get his money either from the Colts or someone else,  so I hope and expect it'll be the Colts.

Yes the kid has all the tools to be a top WR. He has improved each year. If he stays healthy this season he may be looking at big money. I'd get a deal done with him. 

The WR position is in good shape. We have Smith and Leak on the PS.Botn are big targets and should be ready to help next year. 

I sure hope we don't give him nine. I could deal with 6 or 7 million, but not nine. Unless he has a 1100+ yard , 8+ td season next year. Then I would understand. I like him a lot... don't get me wrong. But when you have Luck as your QB, you surround him with good defensive talent. He will make the receivers look better as he did against Minnesota. We need defense!!!

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know if we'll re-sign Moncrief THIS off-season,  but we don't have to.

We do have to re-sign him before NEXT off-season.    (Mid-March)

And yes,  he's in the Colts long-term plans.   

If I had to guess right now,   Moncrief will make somewhere between $7.5 and $9 Mill.       The fans in this thread won't be happy with that number.      But fans on this website have never been happy about big contracts.

Most didn't like Luck's deal.      Most didn't like Hilton's deal.      And most didn't like Castanzo's deal.     Moncrief will get his money either from the Colts or someone else,  so I hope and expect it'll be the Colts.

I'm going to go ahead and object to that.  

Brandon Lafell

http://overthecap.com/player/brandon-lafell/1144/

Career seems to hover around 600 yards per season with one exception being a 900 yard season.

Moncrief has a 444 yard season, a 733 yard season and a 277 yard season (with injury)

If his potential hasn't been realized by year 4 you can't back up a brinks trunk to his front door based on potential.  (So I think potential can be safely left out of this.)

What advantage does Moncrief have over Lafell other then age that makes him worth that much more money?

Now you can find people who have similar production and are earning about the same money as you mention.  However my point on that all is that it's a mistake.  You can get that kind of production for less.  

As far as TY Hilton at this point he's proving out to be a bargain.  He's #2 in receiving yards in the NFL, just barely behind Julio Jones.  Yet his contract puts him at #6 among wide receivers in average cap hit per year. 

lol all our receivers would much better tho year if we used a slant or crossing route..they all run 4.3s  and 2/3 have the shake and bake to take a slant to the house with ease if the Oc calls for them idk about Dorsett he has straight line speed but I see nothing that's twitch like or juke like 

23 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Brandon Lafell

Career seems to hover around 600 yards per season with one exception being a 900 yard season.

Moncrief has a 444 yard season, a 733 yard season and a 277 yard season (with injury)

If his potential hasn't been realized by year 4 you can't back up a brinks trunk to his front door based on potential.  (So I think potential can be safely left out of this.)

What advantage does Moncrief have over Lafell other then age that makes him worth that much more money?

Now you can find people who have similar production and are earning about the same money as you mention.  However my point on that all is that it's a mistake.  You can get that kind of production for less.  

As far as TY Hilton at this point he's proving out to be a bargain.  He's #2 in receiving yards in the NFL, just barely behind Julio Jones.  Yet his contract puts him at #6 among wide receivers in average cap hit per year. 

100% agree. Chester Rogers is producing when given the opportunity. Jack Doyle and Erik Swoope are both doing well. Luck can make things work with average receivers. We don't need to pay Moncrief a bit more than 5 or 6 million given a big 2017 season. What halts this offense is playcalling not our weapons. Moncrief has been out over half the year and we have a top 5 offense. Why overpay for his potential? 

On 12/19/2016 at 9:31 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Brandon Lafell

Remember,  Moncrief left school early and was just 20 when the Colts drafted him --- that's good.

BUT....

He didn't come from a very advanced passing system,  which means that while he's raw,  he's got great upside tools and a very high ceiling.

So,  his year 1,   he was most our 3rd and 4th receiver.

Year 2,   Moncrief played with Luck for 7 games,  and Hasselback and 3 other QB's the rest of the way.

Year 3,   he's been hurt a fair amount of the season and played pretty well when he's played.

So,  all things considered,  he's done fine.     Moncrief is much better than he's being given credit for in this thread,   but that's the way things always are on this website.       Fans are either way too harsh in their judgement or they read way too much into way too little and over-react.       It's what happens here....

Moncreif remains a key part of the Colts future.....

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 0:26 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Remember,  Moncrief left school early and was just 20 when the Colts drafted him --- that's good.

BUT....

He didn't come from a very advanced passing system,  which means that while he's raw,  he's got great upside tools and a very high ceiling.

So,  his year 1,   he was most our 3rd and 4th receiver.

Year 2,   Moncrief played with Luck for 7 games,  and Hasselback and 3 other QB's the rest of the way.

Year 3,   he's been hurt a fair amount of the season and played pretty well when he's played.

So,  all things considered,  he's done fine.     Moncrief is much better than he's being given credit for in this thread,   but that's the way things always are on this website.       Fans are either way too harsh in their judgement or they read way too much into way too little and over-react.       It's what happens here....

Moncreif remains a key part of the Colts future.....

Yup this. It makes it hard to get on here and even harder to take people seriously that's why usually after a loss I come to this side of the forum a Lil less...... crazy?