Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels: I definitely would love to be a head coach again.

ReMeDy

23 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

If the Colts finish at least 8-8, whether playoffs are included or not, I think they will definitely both be back next year given their new deals.

Consecutive 8-8 seasons is not good enough, in my opinion. If we don't finish with a positive win percentage, then I feel the excessive slow starts, inability to play for 4 quarters, and lack of talent and coaching up should warrant change. 9 wins is my bar - anything less is not acceptable.

That being said, with the new deals I could see them getting one more year regardless of outcome this season... but I'm not in agreement with that mindset.

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

Consecutive 8-8 seasons is not good enough, in my opinion. If we don't finish with a positive win percentage, then I feel the excessive slow starts, inability to play for 4 quarters, and lack of talent and coaching up should warrant change. 9 wins is my bar - anything less is not acceptable.

That being said, with the new deals I could see them getting one more year regardless of outcome this season... but I'm not in agreement with that mindset.

we all feel that way to an extent, and i would certainly not be mad if either or both were gone next year

with that said, there is a lot of parity going around right now.  23 teams are within one game of 500 or worse at the moment

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

I agree it is not good enough. But, our opinions as fans don't matter (at least until people stop going to the games and Irsay feels the effects financially). I think for Irsay, 8-8 will be good enough for this year given the new deals. Like you, it isn't a mindset I like, but it is what it is.

If I were a Colt I'd puke over the thought of McDaniels. All he would be is the latest Bill B. assistant to go somewhere else and fail...again. Also the Colts man!!!!!! The Colts are the 1 team who refuses to stick their noses up the Patriot's you know what! Ya'll should hold on to that!

18 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000744405/article/josh-mcdaniels-i-would-love-to-be-head-coach-again

Well Pagano may have saved his job for now, so the McDaniels train will have to wait, but he can always cozy up to RGIII in Cleveland, or maybe Green Bay will somehow take a ride on the wild side.

who?

I was lobbying for Mcdaniels last year. I really do thing he is an offensive genius and plays to the strength of the players he has to work with which is why I thought him and luck would be perfect together. I get it, his stint in denver was forgettable and he drafted tebow and in the first round (ugh), but he can put up points with basically anyone he has. 

On 11/25/2016 at 5:55 AM, CR91 said:

I was lobbying for Mcdaniels last year. I really do thing he is an offensive genius and plays to the strength of the players he has to work with which is why I thought him and luck would be perfect together. I get it, his stint in denver was forgettable and he drafted tebow and in the first round (ugh), but he can put up points with basically anyone he has. 

It's not just his failure in Denver. He also wasn't good in St. Louis. But that's not it, either.

My hesitation with McDaniels is that everything good on his resume happened in connection with Bill Belichick. Belichick is not normal, as we all know. He's had many coordinators that looked great with him, then flamed out as head coaches, even as coordinators with other teams. Going back to Weis and Crennel, and pretty much everyone since, no Pats coordinator has left and succeeded as a head coach.

Bill O'Brien is probably the best Pats assistant so far, but the Texans are forgettable, and he wasn't at Penn State long enough to really judge his work there (if you judged Weis on his first two years at Notre Dame, you'd think he was awesome). O'Brien also didn't exactly come up in the Pats organization; he had well over a decade of experience in college (including two years with David Cutcliffe at Duke, one of the Manning family's favorite coaches), and was only with the Pats for five years. He's not a lifer like some of the others have been.

All that being said, if I were running a team and looking for a head coach, McDaniels wold be on my list of candidates, for sure. Maybe at the top of my list. I believe in a comprehensive coaching search, so I'm not saying that I'd be eager to run out and hire him, and I'm really concerned by his lack of success away from Belichick. But I definitely like his offense, and it would be hard to complain if he were hired.