Arians New Offensive Coordinator?

Wyld1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts on the Bruce Arians hire:

1. Runs a lot of WR screens
  2. Offense not always about timing, a lot of vertical go routes in the playbook
  3. Does the hiring of Arians mean we are going to draft speedier wideouts like a Mike Wallace or Antonio Brown (I can already see one of the Arkansas wideouts Joe Adams or Jarius Wright on our roster after the draft)?
  4. Does the hiring of Arians also mean we may go with a more mobile QB like RG3 over Luck or is Luck mobile enough for Arians' system?

This almost smells like curtains for Peyton in Indy, from an offensive system stand point and everything else, IMO.

Luck is just as if not more mobile then big Ben and i agree about Peyton

My thoughts on the Bruce Arians hire:

1. Runs a lot of WR screens
  2. Offense not always about timing, a lot of vertical go routes in the playbook
  3. Does the hiring of Arians mean we are going to draft speedier wideouts like a Mike Wallace or Antonio Brown (I can already see one of the Arkansas wideouts Joe Adams or Jarius Wright on our roster after the draft)?
  4. Does the hiring of Arians also mean we may go with a more mobile QB like RG3 over Luck or is Luck mobile enough for Arians' system?

You go with what you got right?

Pitt has the most OL injuries over the last 2 seasons... Pitt could not run the ball. What would you do as OC?

Pitt has "outstanding" WR talent... roll with it.

I love this hire.

LOL Well the new coach in Tampa Bay also said that he was going to put together the best staff in the NFL in his press conference so you can't take those kind of statements too literally. They all say things in the press conference to try and make a good impression.

I watched that conference he said put together a great staff not the best

The Steelers main challenge over the last four years has been their offensive line. The other thing that hurts them is that Ben likes to hold on to the football. I wonder about Arians playcalling sometimes, but for the most part, they've been productive. Might have preferred Trestman or Carmichael, but neither of them seemed likely for a coordinator position. And I like the fact that we're getting someone who is unlikely to take a head coaching gig in the next two or three years. Both of those guys would have become hot commodities really quickly.

Another thing I like about Arians is that he can put together a pass-heavy gameplan or a run-heavy gameplan. He's had to work with backup quarterbacks with little to no experience. He's had a lot of new pieces to incorporate into the offense. He'll definitely be flexible.

You go with what you got right?

Pitt has the most OL injuries over the last 2 seasons... Pitt could not run the ball. What would you do as OC?

Pitt has "outstanding" WR talent... roll with it.

I love this hire.

I like it too since we seem to be headed with a new QB for the future. Garcon will be an asset to Arians' offense and Wayne is on his way out, another clincher with this hire, IMO.

Our identity on the O-line is no secret and because of the lack of production from Painter, we had to resort to more I formations and other means to manufacture drives on offense. It may or may not continue, it moved us a few notches up from bottom dweller on offense but by no means did having the FB help us light it up by any means, we still were deficient in the passing game.

I honestly feel that we go more empty backfield with Eldridge blocking a lot like Heath Miller once the QB masters the system. Again, a big IF but I am sure at some point, you are going to see WRs spread out with an empty backfield with Arians' offense.

The one thing Manning had a hold onto was the offense, I could see keeping Manning if they kept the OC, keep same familiarity, the change at OC means a different style of offense and what I think is the end of #18 in Indy. Truely a sad day.

Every post of yours I read makes me completely sick!  

Conflicting stories on CC as of now.

@JMV1070 JMV1070

ESPN reporting Clyde will be retained as the Wr coach.

JMV says Clyde will be WRs coach

@vxmcclure23 vaughn mcclure

Clyde Christensen wanted to stay in Indy as the OC. With Colts set to hire Bruce Arians, Christensen should be headed to Bears.

Vaughn Mcclure of the Chicago Tribune says he will go to the Bears

Bears writer for the Chicago Tribune:

@vxmcclure23

I'm not happy that Clyde may be leaving. He really helped incorporate the run into the Colt offense last year and did a fine job considering he was missing Manning and had no decent QB for more than half the season. Colts should not let him get away.

Reality check huh

Yeah glad you replied...yours as well... Keep this saved... I'll be coming right for your post when over hyped Luck turns to complete puke on Irsay face with a bust after running Manning out of town... At this point I hope Manning enters HOF under his new teams jersey and not a Colts if he gets ran out of town

Our identity on the O-line is no secret and because of the lack of production from Painter, we had to resort to more I formations and other means to manufacture drives on offense. It may or may not continue, it moved us a few notches up from bottom dweller on offense but by no means did having the FB help us light it up by any means, we still were deficient in the passing game.

I honestly feel that we go more empty backfield with Eldridge blocking a lot like Heath Miller once the QB masters the system. Again, a big IF but I am sure at some point, you are going to see WRs spread out with an empty backfield with Arians' offense.

Arians biggest failure was emptying the Steeler backfield and going away from the run game that powered the Steelers for years and years. The running game helps make the passing game effective. You have to make the DBs respect the run or getting separation is nearly impossible these days. I'm amazed how many completed passes over the last couple of years have had to be pinpoint accurate and reliant on receiver ability to out-physical the DB to be in position to make the catch. Eldridge may block like Heath Miller but he can't catch passes like him. Arians better be able to change his offense to suit the personnel because it doesn't work in the other direction.

Arians biggest failure was emptying the Steeler backfield and going away from the run game that powered the Steelers for years and years. The running game helps make the passing game effective. You have to make the DBs respect the run or getting separation is nearly impossible these days. I'm amazed how many completed passes over the last couple of years have had to be pinpoint accurate and reliant on receiver ability to out-physical the DB to be in position to make the catch. Eldridge may block like Heath Miller but he can't catch passes like him. Arians better be able to change his offense to suit the personnel because it doesn't work in the other direction.

Have U followed or watched Pitt the last couple of seasons?

I guess not.... They have been ...........

nevermind..............

The Bruce Arians signing is an excellent move.

What are the odds of a brand new head coach landing one of the best offensive coordinators in the league?

Big Ben was furious when the Steelers let Arians go. Great timing though, a few days later he signs witrh the Colts.

Grigson is doing great so far!

My guess Big Ben was furious they let Arians go was because Arians is almost literally one-dimensional and lets big ben pass all the time. Be carefull what you ask for... This Arians guy doesnt seem like the best OC hire imo. I believe our ground game will still..um...suck. Good news for Garcon though(if we resign him). Lots of WR sreens and go routes

The Bruce Arians signing is an excellent move.

What are the odds of a brand new head coach landing one of the best offensive coordinators in the league?

Big Ben was furious when the Steelers let Arians go. Great timing though, a few days later he signs witrh the Colts.

Grigson is doing great so far!

I think irsay may have had a hand in landing him, but I like the pickup aswell.

My guess Big Ben was furious they let Arians go was because Arians is almost literally one-dimensional and lets big ben pass all the time. Be carefull what you ask for... This Arians guy doesnt seem like the best OC hire imo. I believe our ground game will still..um...suck. Good news for Garcon though(if we resign him). Lots of WR sreens and go routes

But the Steelers were always a great running team too.

Yeah no thanks to Arians.

Talk about an underachieving offense.

Underachieving? Do you watch Steeler games or just happened to catch the ones where Big Ben was playing on one foot or running for his life behind that porous offensive line they've had for years there?

The one thing Manning had a hold onto was the offense, I could see keeping Manning if they kept the OC, keep same familiarity, the change at OC means a different style of offense and what I think is the end of #18 in Indy. Truely a sad day.

I really hope this is not true

The strangest part is that Pittsburgh is interviewing Caldwell for OC position.

I agree, very strange indeed.

Why? Can't wrap your head around the thought that someone might consider Caldwell a good coach? He has been involved in innovative, explosive, and succesful offenses his entire career, and he used to work with Tomlin (both Dungy proteges). It actually makes perfect sense, and I hope he gets the job.

Why? Can't wrap your head around the thought that someone might consider Caldwell a good coach? He has been involved in innovative, explosive, and succesful offenses his entire career, and he used to work with Tomlin (both Dungy proteges). It actually makes perfect sense, and I hope he gets the job.

I always thought Polian had put Caldwell in a bit of a no win scenario in Indy. When the team was winning everyone said he was just tailgating Dungy and letting Manning carry the team. When Manning was injured it became very apparent that Polian had not built a team which could be successful without him. So it was basically win some games and get no credit or lose and get blamed for everything. Caldwell wasn't a horrible coach in my opinion nor was he a great one.

I always thought Polian had put Caldwell in a bit of a no win scenario in Indy. When the team was winning everyone said he was just tailgating Dungy and letting Manning carry the team. When Manning was injured it became very apparent that Polian had not built a team which could be successful without him. So it was basically win some games and get no credit or lose and get blamed for everything. Caldwell wasn't a horrible coach in my opinion nor was he a great one.

I agree. But I also think that he has always been an offensive guy, so retrenching to that side of the ball would increase his chances of success. I also think that he would be more accepted as an offensive co-ordinator under a successful coach that is respected already than he was as a head coach seemingly promoted without having earned it. Nobody is going to give a rats behind about his on field persona. What were the complaints about Caldwell again? He wouldn't have to call timeouts, talk to the media, make half-time defensive adjustments, etc. He would just have to do all the things that he has excelled at for 20+ years.

So let me get this straight. because the the OC Manning worked with for one year is gone and replaced with a guy he worked with for three years that means Manning is gone? Keep in mind, I'm not saying he will or won't be gone, I'm just wondering about the logic of that. It's not like CC (whom I thought as a descent and improving OC) has worked with Manning his entire career, he was the asst. OC and then the OC when Moore retired.

Second, if Pagano really does bring in Arians as the OC then there goes that whole, "best staff in the NFL." Beause Arians is not a very good OC IMO. He's predictable but at least he makes up for it by not being innovative.

I'm a little confused about the fact that Pagano stated flat out that he prefers a run first offense, and now they hire a guy who was just fired by Rooney because he doesn't run enough. I guess I should be happy because I don't want a run first offense in the first place, but I'm not clear on why he would be considered an improvement. Yeah, they are more explosive deep than the Colts - but that's because of one player. They certainly haven't had a better offense than the Colts in any other respect. In fact most of their offensive problems have been due to offensive line problems - just like the Colts. So who is responsible for that?

It's clear (with minimal research) that he was universally scorned in Pittsburgh by everyone other than the QB. And I'm wondering why Arians left the Colts in the first place (promoted or let go - I haven't seen an answer). And he certainly did nothing to develope Tim Couch while running some horrendous Clevelend offenses. I'm not sure whether to consider this a good hire or not. I'd feel a lot better if I witnessed Peyton jumping up and down with glee.

-----

And with the rumour about Butch Davis, can one conclude that the 2003 Clevelend Browns had "the best coaching staff in the league"? I'm feeling a bit quesy about all this.

Edited by MAC

I'm a little confused about the fact that Pagano stated flat out that he prefers a run first offense, and now they hire a guy who was just fired by Rooney because he doesn't run enough. I guess I should be happy because I don't want a run first offense in the first place, but I'm not clear on why he would be considered an improvement. Yeah, they are more explosive deep than the Colts - but that's because of one player. They certainly haven't had a better offense than the Colts in any other respect. In fact most of their offensive problems have been due to offensive line problems - just like the Colts. So who is responsible for that?

It's clear (with minimal research) that he was universally scorned in Pittsburgh by everyone other than the QB. And I'm wondering why Arians left the Colts in the first place (promoted or let go - I haven't seen an answer). And he certainly did nothing to develope Tim Couch while running some horrendous Clevelend offenses. I'm not sure whether to consider this a good hire or not. I'd feel a lot better if I witnessed Peyton jumping up and down with glee.

-----

And with the rumour about Butch Davis, can one conclude that the 2003 Clevelend Browns had "the best coaching staff in the league"? I'm feeling a bit quesy about all this.

He was promoted from QB coach with the Colts to OC in Cleveland.