Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What? He's not bashing the Oline and grigson? How dare he.

AKB

6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

We need to figure out better ways of delivering the ball quicker. We were fortunate to have as much time on that play as we did. That's like Tom Brady levels of protection insanity.

That is a hard thing to do when Luck has a slow delivery.

Maybe some timing routes would help?

10 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Check this play out. The throw and catch are impressive, but look at the offensive line, especially Joe Haeg, how he fights the loop and still catches the defender.

Plays like this, to me anyways, are a sign that the o-line is indeed improving. The initial pocket is flawless, and when Luck starts to scramble, there aren't any holding calls. That in itself is a small miracle. And what Luck did in that play is straight up magic.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Plays like this, to me anyways, are a sign that the o-line is indeed improving. The initial pocket is flawless, and when Luck starts to scramble, there aren't any holding calls. That in itself is a small miracle. And what Luck did in that play is straight up magic.

There is an active thread comparing Manning to Luck. This video is a reminder to me that in one area they aren't the same at all. Luck is so much more mobile than Peyton. It's day and night. Luck had a dozen plays in the Bears game where his pocket awareness and scrambles were keys to important completions.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Haeg is a good player.  I think his best fit is at guard not tackle but in a year or two he could pull a Diem and slide out to RT.

He is already playing RT. And i do not see that changing anytime soon.

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

He's playing RT because Reitz was injured and Haeg got abused quite a bit at RT against the Bears.  He's not ready for RT yet.

He is playing RT because Reitz was injured?

There is a quarterback over in NE that got his first snap because his starting QB was injured, and he hasn't given the job back since has he?

And if you payed attention to the game last sunday reitz was actually playing when we got down to the goal line in a jumbo package.

Haeg won the spot from Reitz, plain and simple. Reitz will not be back at RT. 

11 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

We need to figure out better ways of delivering the ball quicker. We were fortunate to have as much time on that play as we did. That's like Tom Brady levels of protection insanity.

Insert Matt Hasselbeck.

JK. But, the ball came out quicker when he was playing QB, with no changes in OC or play calling from what I can recall. 

If you sign a QB who is more deliberate than desirable when throwing the ball to a $100 million contract, you pretty much have to rely upon the $100 million QB to figure out ways to deliver the ball quicker.  Not much else you can do.

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

He is playing RT because Reitz was injured?

There is a quarterback over in NE that got his first snap because his starting QB was injured, and he hasn't given the job back since has he?

And if you payed attention to the game last sunday reitz was actually playing when we got down to the goal line in a jumbo package.

Haeg won the spot from Reitz, plain and simple. Reitz will not be back at RT. 

Are you one of those posters that try to bring up New England every chance you get?  I really have no use for you then.

And no, I didn't get to watch the game on Sunday, I had my own football game to coach but thanks.  I will say though, just because Reitz was in there doesn't mean he was ready to go the full game.  This staff is pretty well known for limiting a players snaps in their first game back from injury.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Are you one of those posters that try to bring up New England every chance you get?  I really have no use for you then.

And no, I didn't get to watch the game on Sunday, I had my own football game to coach but thanks.  I will say though, just because Reitz was in there doesn't mean he was ready to go the full game.  This staff is pretty well known for limiting a players snaps in their first game back from injury.

Haeg has the job. Pagano talked about continuity and said that Reitz was healthy last week. Barring injury it will be Castonzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Good-Haeg for the foreseeable future.

16 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Haeg has the job. Pagano talked about continuity and said that Reitz was healthy last week. Barring injury it will be Castonzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Good-Haeg for the foreseeable future.

You could be right.  It doesn't change the fact that I think he is a good player and better at RG now than RT.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is a hard thing to do when Luck has a slow delivery.

Maybe some timing routes would help?

He doesn't have the quickest delivery (like Peyton or Marino), but IMO, he could stil cut the sacks/hits/hurries, way down if he found his target quicker.  Now that may not be his fault (WRs, playcalling all play a part), but I think they do need to find ways to get the time in the pocket down.  

1 hour ago, cbear said:

He doesn't have the quickest delivery (like Peyton or Marino), but IMO, he could stil cut the sacks/hits/hurries, way down if he found his target quicker.  Now that may not be his fault (WRs, playcalling all play a part), but I think they do need to find ways to get the time in the pocket down.  

Finding the target quicker and actually going through progressions would fall on the linemen giving the time.

Yes there are plays that can be called to somewhat cut his time with making them work but then the defense starts to pick up on that too after a couple of plays.

IMO Luck already has enough on his back and could use a little help in the pass blocking. The run blocking has been a little better but pass blocking will only come with experience.

12 hours ago, JPFolks said:

The NFL blocked your clip.  How dare you try and promote their product at no gain to yourself!

Yeah, that infuriates me when the NFL makes you go to their main site on You Tube to acquire yet another monopoly in terms of restricted access. Why doesn't the league allow football clips to play on other team sites & threads? 

Because we all know how poor the NFL is right? How will they ever keep the lights on? :sarcasm:

You'd think after the league got burned public relations wise on the extortion, fake patriotism front they'd loosen up the leash a tad bit. Guess not. 

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You could be right.  It doesn't change the fact that I think he is a good player and better at RG now than RT.

I never said he did not play RG better than RT. You stated that Reitz will be returning to RT when he is healthy, and again you are incorrect. You could at least stay up to date on injuries and atleast watch the football games before you pretend to be informed. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Finding the target quicker and actually going through progressions would fall on the linemen giving the time.

Yes there are plays that can be called to somewhat cut his time with making them work but then the defense starts to pick up on that too after a couple of plays.

IMO Luck already has enough on his back and could use a little help in the pass blocking. The run blocking has been a little better but pass blocking will only come with experience.

No doubt.  The Oline definitely needs to improve.  But given that it is what it is (at least for now), it's even more reason to shorten the pocket time.  They don't need to run only quick hitting plays, but perhaps cut down on his reads on the longer developing plays.  Maybe just go through a couple progressions rather than 3 or 4, something like that.

I do agree that the run blocking is improved.  Internet noise says they can't run, but that is not true IMO.  Game circumstance and Gore's age have more to do with not calling as many running plays as we'd like.  

5 minutes ago, cbear said:

No doubt.  The Oline definitely needs to improve.  But given that it is what it is (at least for now), it's even more reason to shorten the pocket time.  They don't need to run only quick hitting plays, but perhaps cut down on his reads on the longer developing plays.  Maybe just go through a couple progressions rather than 3 or 4, something like that.

I do agree that the run blocking is improved.  Internet noise says they can't run, but that is not true IMO.  Game circumstance and Gore's age have more to do with not calling as many running plays as we'd like.  

Hopefully the rookies can get enough time in to improve without causing too much damage?

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hopefully the rookies can get enough time in to improve without causing too much damage?

They'll be fine. We might go and find a higher caliber rg next offseason but aside from that I think this is the line of the future.

1 hour ago, cbear said:

I can't imagine that it has anything to do with Gore's age, and has everything to do with game circumstances.

Ponder this:  the Colts right now are 6th in the league in total offensive plays with just over 67 plays per game.  In terms of running plays, the Colts are 26th in the league at 22.4 attempts per game, with Luck taking 3 per game.  That means a total of 19.4 carries per game for all RBs. The Colts are middle of the pack in terms of YPC, so it does not mean their rushing attach is in effective. These stats reflect a team that keeps falling behind and needing to play catch up, which dictates a rotation to passing.   

If the Colts can sustain more drives early on and have more success early in the games, they should get more in balance, where there are closer to 30+ running plays per game.  If that happens, you'll see Gore get more carries, as well as Turbin and Ferguson.

Some other thoughts:  (1) No NFL team is going to not run because they think their back is incapable.  They'll simply put in someone who can.  If the game situation calls for a run, they'll run. (2) I think you guys don't realize that there is little difference between Gore running the ball and just running plays.  When he doesn't get the ball, he is picking up blitzing linebackers, crashing into the line as a decoy, or going into pattern and laying downfield blocks.  If he's on the field, he can run many more plays that what he is currently doing.  

On 10/14/2016 at 6:17 PM, AustinnKaine said:

I never said he did not play RG better than RT. You stated that Reitz will be returning to RT when he is healthy, and again you are incorrect. You could at least stay up to date on injuries and atleast watch the football games before you pretend to be informed. 

Thanks

Yup I could stay up to date on injuries.  No doubt.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, FACE REALITY said:

I like him better than mewhort

I don't at least not as a guard.  Haeg has better flexibility in positions he can play but while Haeg has better feet and lower body agility, Mewhort has better functional strength and more technically sound, especially once engaged with a defender.

Not to say I don't like Haeg, to me, he has been impressive, even more so playing three positions along the line and, even in the Chiefs game, when Reitz went out for a few plays, Haeg slid over and played RT and Harrison came it at LG.  Most people do not realize how difficult that is.  But in a straight up comparison of Mewhort and Haeg playing the guard spot, Mewhort is the better guard.

I am a big fan of Good, but that being said, I like Haeg as a guard more than Good as a guard.

Once everyone is healthy I think the Colts best oline is AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg and Reitz.