Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest Regular Season Game Of Luck's Career: 4 Game Swing

JPFolks

It really comes down to this game for the division.  We could still LOSE the division if we win, but we can't realistically win the division if we lose.  

If we lose, we go to 2-4, 0-2 in Division and 3 games behind overcoming Houston to win the division.  

If we win the game, we both go to 3-3, we're 1-1 in the division and we own the tiebreaker over Houston meaning they'd have to win one more game than us to win the division (I do realize that they could win the second game to split, but that's in the future, I am looking at right now). 

That's a 4 game split (since we don't play 1/2 games, I am rounding up).  If we lose, in the final 10 games, of which we play our toughest stretch of the schedule, we have to win 3 more games than Houston to win the division.  With Pittsburgh, the Jets, Kansas City, Oakland, Green Bay (at Lambeau) and worst of all the Vikings at their new fortress, we may as well start talking about next season.   I will be shocked if we could manage 500 the rest of the season meaning Houston would only need to win 4 games the rest of the season (including against us head to head in the second game) to win the division, and it is unlikely we can win enough games to finish above 8-8 even WITH a win this week.  

If we win, however, then all we need to do is win the rest of our division games and one more to likely win the division.  Houston's schedule actually gets easier than ours going forward.   This game is pretty much win or go home and spend the final 10 games getting ready for next year.  I can't recall any single game Luck has played outside of the playoffs with more riding on it.  Did I miss one?  

11 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

It really comes down to this game for the division.  We could still LOSE the division if we win, but we can't realistically win the division if we lose.  

If we lose, we go to 2-4, 0-2 in Division and 3 games behind overcoming Houston to win the division.  

If we win the game, we both go to 3-3, we're 1-1 in the division and we own the tiebreaker over Houston meaning they'd have to win one more game than us to win the division (I do realize that they could win the second game to split, but that's in the future, I am looking at right now). 

That's a 4 game split (since we don't play 1/2 games, I am rounding up).  If we lose, in the final 10 games, of which we play our toughest stretch of the schedule, we have to win 3 more games than Houston to win the division.  With Pittsburgh, the Jets, Kansas City, Oakland, Green Bay (at Lambeau) and worst of all the Vikings at their new fortress, we may as well start talking about next season.   I will be shocked if we could manage 500 the rest of the season meaning Houston would only need to win 4 games the rest of the season (including against us head to head in the second game) to win the division, and it is unlikely we can win enough games to finish above 8-8 even WITH a win this week.  

If we win, however, then all we need to do is win the rest of our division games and one more to likely win the division.  Houston's schedule actually gets easier than ours going forward.   This game is pretty much win or go home and spend the final 10 games getting ready for next year.  I can't recall any single game Luck has played outside of the playoffs with more riding on it.  Did I miss one?  

Yes, Sunday is a very crucial game. I have been 100% glass half full so far but if we lose Sunday I wont have much of a leg to stand on at that point. We have a golden opportunity on Sunday to get back to .500 and beat the team many picked to win the Division + a win would put us in 1st place in the Division and give us the early tiebreaker over Houston. If we lose we are in huge trouble.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Good, thoughtful post......

It does seem odd to say that a week 6 game can set-up the rest of our season for success or failure,  but you make a compelling case.

Since I think that our team may get marginally, slowly better week by week as we go,  I'm not quite ready to write off the rest of the year should we lose.      But I'll be close.     Damn close.      I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised!   

But I fear you're right,  while quietly hoping you're wrong!   

We really have to rise to the occasion this week.....    such an important early season game for us....

the season is pretty much on the line, but you could say that about a lot games, especially when you get into an early hole

games like this are what make it interesting, there will be real consequences if we lose or first place if we win

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good, thoughtful post......

It does seem odd to say that a week 6 game can set-up the rest of our season for success or failure,  but you make a compelling case.

Since I think that our team may get marginally, slowly better week by week as we go,  I'm not quite ready to write off the rest of the year should we lose.      But I'll be close.     Damn close.      I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised!   

But I fear you're right,  while quietly hoping you're wrong!   

We really have to rise to the occasion this week.....    such an important early season game for us....

Yeah before last weeks game vs the Bears I said the next 3 games need to be treated as a Playoff run. Bears, at Texans, at Titans. We got 1 win, now we need the next 2 to get above .500. If we get the wins over the Texans and Titans we will be in driver seat in the Division at 4-3 with tiebreakers over both.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Titans are going to win this week too, they play the Browns haha So they will be 3-3.

I would not discount the Browns so fast.  They played well vs the Dolphins and Ravens.  They could easily have the same record as us right now compared to their 0-5 record.

I am usually glass-half-full as well.  However, what do we get if we win the division?  A playoff berth, right?

Well I don't know if we can hang with the wildcard teams at this point.  We needed 2-3 drafts to repair previous mistakes to get back to top form.  I never root for Indy to lose (except week 17 in 2011) but a playoff berth this year seems like a hollow prize.  We need some good infusion off talent.  

If we win...i will be glad and I will root for us until our season is over.  I just don't think this would be the worst year to sit home in January.

13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

No doubt a big game but I think you have over stated a bit saying it's a 4 game swing. I would counter that by saying if we beat the Texans at home and sweep the remaining 3 games with the Jags and Titans , we would be at the most 1 game behind Houston. Only one of those games would be on the road. So if that happens , we would realistically need the Texans to lose another game in the division to put into a tie breaker. Texans also have some tough games left . Ciin , Oak , Denver and GB. Plus SD plays everyone down to the wire. So they could implode ? That said , you are correct saying this is a huge game for the Colts. Puts them even and gives them a chance to make another win over Houston worth 11/2 games in the standings.

13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I'd say this game and next week are both must wins. Titans are quietly better than a lot of people realize, and they currently have the same record as the Colts. They're at home this Sunday vs the Browns, so they're not likely to lose that game. If Colts and Titans are both 3-3 next week, that'll be a BIG game as well.

I agree this is a huge game but it's not all on Luck.  He needs help from his defense.  If the defense can finally play a good game and the offense doesn't turn the ball over, they have a good chance to win.  If they make Brock look like Big Ben or Brady it's going to be a long night.  Not that it matters, but all of the espn analysts are picking Houston.  I figured someone would pick Indy, at least one.  They've been wrong before but they are experts for a reason. I am very nervous about this game.  I am crossing my fingers for a Colts W!

17 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I agree this is a huge game but it's not all on Luck.  He needs help from his defense.  If the defense can finally play a good game and the offense doesn't turn the ball over, they have a good chance to win.  If they make Brock look like Big Ben or Brady it's going to be a long night.  Not that it matters, but all of the espn analysts are picking Houston.  I figured someone would pick Indy, at least one.  They've been wrong before but they are experts for a reason. I am very nervous about this game.  I am crossing my fingers for a Colts W!

This is gonna be a very good game I think. I'm glad it's on a Sunday night. The AFC South on full display, hope we rep it well lol.

31 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Experts?  Hahaha now that is funny

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This was me after Hoyer had Jeffery wide open but threw into traffic instead on 4th down.

Yup!      I'm sure the Bears Monday morning meeting where they look at the game tape must've been a fun place to be!!

"Hoyer looks and looks and looks --- AND JEFFREY IS WIDE OPEN IN THE END ZONE --- and Hoyer doesn't see him and his pass falls INCOMPLETE!"

We caught a break.     One of the few actual breaks we've caught this year......

Hope we catch a few more Sunday night.      We're going to need them!

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup!      I'm sure the Bears Monday morning meeting where they look at the game tape must've been a fun place to be!!

Hoyer looks and looks and looks --- AND JEFFREY IS WIDE OPEN IN THE END ZONE --- and Hoyer doesn't see him and his pass falls INCOMPLETE!

We caught a break.     One of the few actual breaks we've caught this year......

Hope we catch a few more Sunday night.      We're going to need them!

A much needed break because we didn't get the same breaks vs Lions and Jags to end those games. Things usually even out, we lost 2 games we could've won, won 2 games we could've lost. Denver is the only team that has beat us by more than 1 score.

Biggest for us? Meh not so sure since we have Houston again later at home this year. I think more pressure is on the Texans at home at night. I think this game is 50/50 with who wins right now with two topsy turvy up and down mistake prone teams fighting for the same weak divisional crown LOL. Colts have the better QB but I am worried Brock could have a good game vs. our weaker defense.

But, I still can't count out Houston either. Since their two big losses this year have had them picked on a lot but they were on the road to two huge SB contenders who seem unbeatable at times. I don't think we could go on the road at the moment either and beat the Patriots and Vikings but we I sure would preferred to have played the Pats third string QB. lmao 

Part of me wishes this was an early game.........don't want to have to wait all Sunday lol.

Also both the Titans and Jags could win this weekend so it's a lot of pressure this weekend in the AFC South. I guess I can see what the original poster means. I would not say this is all on Luck though like the title suggests, our sorry defense is the ones who need to pick it up and our o line needs to cut down on the stupid crap.

20 hours ago, aaron11 said:

the season is pretty much on the line, but you could say that about a lot games, especially when you get into an early hole

games like this are what make it interesting, there will be real consequences if we lose or first place if we win

Well, as opposed to this game, the Pittsburgh game is almost no big deal.  It's an assumed (and damn likely) loss.  Sure, if we win, it will make a giant difference, but not even close to winning this weekend.  It really is Luck's most important reg. season game.  The only exception would be if 6-10 wins our heinous division. Houston has already lost their two toughest games.  They will be capable of winning any remaining game far more that we will be.  Pitt versus Cincy... we still have the Jets, they already lost to New England.  So even if they lose to Cincy (unlikely as bad as Cincy is playing) we have to beat either the Jets or Pitt just to stay even.  This game against them is everything. 

We have only just barely beaten our two weakest non divisional team on the schedule.  And we lost to a very bad Jacksonville team and a bad Detroit team.  Even Denver, by the end of the season, might not be a playoff team with Oakland and KC coming on strong and stuff catching up to their low scoring offense.  

10 hours ago, GoDeep said:

I am usually glass-half-full as well.  However, what do we get if we win the division?  A playoff berth, right?

Well I don't know if we can hang with the wildcard teams at this point.  We needed 2-3 drafts to repair previous mistakes to get back to top form.  I never root for Indy to lose (except week 17 in 2011) but a playoff berth this year seems like a hollow prize.  We need some good infusion off talent.  

If we win...i will be glad and I will root for us until our season is over.  I just don't think this would be the worst year to sit home in January.

I've posted multiple times in response to this "lose to get a better draft pick" and how short sighted it is, but I won't repeat it all.  Suffice it to say that it's not worth it.  You take every opportunity to win and get in the playoffs where anything can happen with a clutch QB like Luck.  The more chances the more likely we win it all one of those times.   No 1 better player will make enough of a difference to justify not winning every game we can, unless it is Luck you're getting and we already did that.  

44 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, as opposed to this game, the Pittsburgh game is almost no big deal.  It's an assumed (and damn likely) loss.  .  

lol I hate to say it but thats kinda almost true........lmao 

I also think right now for some reason if we upset someone this year it might be Green Bay, we have upset them a few times in the past and they are not that amazing.

51 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, as opposed to this game, the Pittsburgh game is almost no big deal.  It's an assumed (and damn likely) loss.  Sure, if we win, it will make a giant difference, but not even close to winning this weekend.  It really is Luck's most important reg. season game.  The only exception would be if 6-10 wins our heinous division. Houston has already lost their two toughest games.  They will be capable of winning any remaining game far more that we will be.  Pitt versus Cincy... we still have the Jets, they already lost to New England.  So even if they lose to Cincy (unlikely as bad as Cincy is playing) we have to beat either the Jets or Pitt just to stay even.  This game against them is everything. 

We have only just barely beaten our two weakest non divisional team on the schedule.  And we lost to a very bad Jacksonville team and a bad Detroit team.  Even Denver, by the end of the season, might not be a playoff team with Oakland and KC coming on strong and stuff catching up to their low scoring offense.  

what i meant by that was we had several games last year where our season was on the line too.  none of them bigger then the second texans game, but we had to get a few wins to make that one meaningful

unless you are dominating and in first place, there comes a point in pretty much every season where its on the line. 

it did come earlier than we would like this year, but i do agree that we need this one or this year is most likely a bust unless the texans fall apart. 

39 minutes ago, Jules said:

lol I hate to say it but thats kinda almost true........lmao 

I also think right now for some reason if we upset someone this year it might be Green Bay, we have upset them a few times in the past and they are not that amazing.

I think you're right. They are the most beatable non division team on our schedule. They've been awful in the second half and we thrive there. If it is close at halftime, we should win that game.