Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not one player from the Colts’ 2013 draft is still with the team

Hi-Tek

It happened. Get over it. Why the need to bring this up in every thread you post in? 2012 was very good and 2015, 2016 were very good drafts. Polian, the great Polian, has missed drafts before. Even the mighty BB has missed on drafts. It happens. 

The biggest disappointment was going into the AFC championship game vs NE with our last two number 1 picks inactive.... Not injured. Just inactive. I doubt that's ever happened in the NFL before. Still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. But Grigs has gotten better since then. It's Chuck's turn to do his job now and I don't want to hear the lack of talent excuse. We've played like crap all 4 games and still had the ball in our hands with a chance to win. Once even against the defending champs at their stadium. Imagine if we just played good?  Not great but good? We'd be 4-0 right now. Chuck is in over his head. Always has been and I fear always will be. Now Grigson doesn't get a pass. If you want to fire him for Richardson (gotta admit even I fell for that one) & Werner and the terrible free agent signings we had to make because of those whiffs, you won't get a complaint from me. 

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/05/nfl-draft-2013-grades-picks-analysis-results

this is a good article that shows grades 3 years after that 2013 season. If you will care to notice how many teams busted up top and through the draft its self, perhaps you won't be as overly critical of Grigson missing on this draft. Looking back is so easy. Imagine had we taken Xavier Rhoades with that pick instead? He went next pick too. Luck of the draw I suppose. Look at all the flops of guards and tackles that I'm certain had posters been running the draft board would have traded up for a few of them and given up future firsts for those "sure" things. 

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

The biggest disappointment was going into the AFC championship game vs NE with our last two number 1 picks inactive.... Not injured. Just inactive. I doubt that's ever happened in the NFL before. Still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. But Grigs has gotten better since then. It's Chuck's turn to do his job now and I don't want to hear the lack of talent excuse. We've played like crap all 4 games and still had the ball in our hands with a chance to win. Once even against the defending champs at their stadium. Imagine if we just played good?  Not great but good? We'd be 4-0 right now. Chuck is in over his head. Always has been and I fear always will be. Now Grigson doesn't get a pass. If you want to fire him for Richardson (gotta admit even I fell for that one) & Werner and the terrible free agent signings we had to make because of those whiffs, you won't get a complaint from me. 

agreed

15 hours ago, Jdubu said:

It happened. Get over it. Why the need to bring this up in every thread you post in? 2012 was very good and 2015, 2016 were very good drafts. Polian, the great Polian, has missed drafts before. Even the mighty BB has missed on drafts. It happens. 

I think he brings it up because it was only 3 years ago and having been only 3 seasons removed from that it really hurts the roster. You need to have atleast a few of your players from a draft stick and contribute. Grigson is killing this team. So is Pagano.

15 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Most teams can be 4-0 right now if you switch a few plays around (unless they were in a game like the Steelers and Chiefs recently). That's no excuse. Most games are very close in the NFL and decided by a few plays regularly. That's why this league is the hardest professional sports league to win in. It's up to the coaches and players to make those extra few plays to turn the tide in our favor, and they didn't do it.

Just now, krunk said:

Yeah but this has only been mentioned about 19 times on this forum already.  Absolutely no need to bring up a new thread like it's breaking news or something.

Yep, that was a terrible draft of epic proportions. The only real mistake Grigson did IMO in that draft was drafting Werner over someone like Xavier Rhodes (we just got Vontae though), or Sylvester Williams or Datone Jones (would of helped a little more). I think the Vikings and Lions really benefited from that draft and that's it. Maybe the Steelers and Packers if you count Lacy and Leveon Bell.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Most teams can be 4-0 right now if you switch a few plays around (unless they were in a game like the Steelers and Chiefs recently). That's no excuse. Most games are very close in the NFL and decided by a few plays regularly. That's why this league is the hardest professional sports league to win in. It's up to the coaches and players to make those extra few plays to turn the tide in our favor, and they didn't do it.

You are correct sir. We do not have enough players on our team that are really difference makers. That being players who can be depended on to make plays when the game is on the line. I agree that most games come down to about 5-6 key plays and based on the outcome of those plays determines your success. We need a playmaker at OLB, we need better play at ILB. We need better play in the secondary. We need receivers that dont drop wide open passes and as bad as the offensive line played last week if we make a few receptions in the first half it probably leads to points and if we make that 4th and 1 we still have a chance to win.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, that was a terrible draft of epic proportions. The only real mistake Grigson did IMO in that draft was drafting Werner over someone like Xavier Rhodes (we just got Vontae though), or Sylvester Williams or Datone Jones (would of helped a little more). I think the Vikings and Lions really benefited from that draft and that's it. Maybe the Steelers and Packers if you count Lacy and Leveon Bell.

That Werner draft pick was a needs based draft pick.   I think Grigson went against his mantra of BPA and went with a need.  I don't see how he had Werner graded higher than Rhodes.    Water under the bridge though.

38 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I think he brings it up because it was only 3 years ago and having been only 3 seasons removed from that it really hurts the roster. You need to have atleast a few of your players from a draft stick and contribute. Grigson is killing this team. So is Pagano.

And Grigson was a brand new player at this job and Irsay knew all along there would be bumps in the road with a learning curve. Grigs has had 2 pretty good looking drafts in a row now, perhaps he has had that learning curve from taking more high risk players from the board with his draft picks. Perhaps he has learned that just getting players for the oline isn't enough, you need better talent. He seems to have figured this out with this draft for the oline. Now if next season he chooses a punter in the first round or a TE, we may have to rethink but there is no sense in scrapping the program when it appears he has picked guys with talent. The real question is, can pags coach?? I'm way more concerned with his coaching than I am with Griggs draft picks nowadays. 

So what happened in the past drafts happened, he seems to have learned, pags has not seemingly done anything special. So let's move on with it and see what happens with coaching this season. 

13 hours ago, krunk said:

That Werner draft pick was a needs based draft pick.   I think Grigson went against his mantra of BPA and went with a need.  I don't see how he had Werner graded higher than Rhodes.    Water under the bridge though.

Yes it is water under the bridge.  That draft year everybody on the draft forum all had Xavier on there draft list.   Yes it's hindsight but that year Xavier graded out higher then Werner if it was a BPA thing.  So it's Grigson who wanted to be a genius and draft a 4-3 end his whole college career to come play for us and be a DE/LB in a 3-4.  We could've of drafted anyone even if it was a bust I wouldn't be complaining if that player we picked fit our system!! That's it plain and simple draft players that for your Offense and Defense System simple if it work it works if not then at least you tried Grigson and you tried it the right way!! 

20 hours ago, Jdubu said:

And Grigson was a brand new player at this job and Irsay knew all along there would be bumps in the road with a learning curve. Grigs has had 2 pretty good looking drafts in a row now, perhaps he has had that learning curve from taking more high risk players from the board with his draft picks. Perhaps he has learned that just getting players for the oline isn't enough, you need better talent. He seems to have figured this out with this draft for the oline. Now if next season he chooses a punter in the first round or a TE, we may have to rethink but there is no sense in scrapping the program when it appears he has picked guys with talent. The real question is, can pags coach?? I'm way more concerned with his coaching than I am with Griggs draft picks nowadays. 

So what happened in the past drafts happened, he seems to have learned, pags has not seemingly done anything special. So let's move on with it and see what happens with coaching this season. 

Well, I disagree. Grigson came into the GM job as some supposed talent guru who was a big part of Philadelphia's success. Coaches can only coach the players they are given. Pagano isnt without blame I agree. We can only judge Grigson's 2014 and 2015 drafts on the 3 year perspective much like the 2013 draft. Not enough time has passed yet. Personally I don't see either the 2014 or 2015 draft as being all that great for results yet. Much of Grigson's FA signings and trades have fizzled also. He's digging in a hole in my opinion. Hopefully guys like Kelly, Good, Haeg, Ridgeway, Dorsett, Green all become great pro's but at the moment none of them are making a lot of difference with the exception probably being Kelly who is playing well for a rookie and he was taking over a position that was so bad that almost anyone was better than who had played there the previous few years. That's not a knock on Kelly, that just saying how badly Grigson had done to address that position.