Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schottenheimer calling plays

Gyworks

Did you notice that there was at least one drive when Schottenheimer was calling the plays on Sunday? As far as I can remember it was when the offense really got in rythm. Not sure if it happened because something was wrong with the radio in the booth but it seemed to work out well. Thoughts?

57 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

Did you notice that there was at least one drive when Schottenheimer was calling the plays on Sunday? As far as I can remember it was when the offense really got in rythm. Not sure if it happened because something was wrong with the radio in the booth but it seemed to work out well. Thoughts?

No.     That's not what happened.

Chud is upstairs.    He calls the plays down to Schottenheimer,  and Schott calls them into Luck's radio helmet.

The voice that Luck hears is Schottenheimer.      But the play calling comes from Chud.

That's how it works.      In fact,  the TV Broadcast team even explained it on the air......

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I was thinking they said that the plays were going directly from the booth into Luck headset?? I did not notice that Schott was calling any plays because I was too busy screaming at my tv 8/

I also thought the calls go right from the booth this year, but I didn't notice Shott calling plays.  Couldn't he have been talking to Chud?

IDK, I just recall hearing someone on tv talk about how most of the people have someone else sending in the plays to the qb but in INdy, Chud does it from the booth and it goes directly from Chud into Lucks headset.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

I also thought the calls go right from the booth this year, but I didn't notice Shott calling plays.  Couldn't he have been talking to Chud?

I also remember that in several occasions Luck was leaving the huddle toward the sidelines to ask something and even once tapping his helmet at the ears like he wouldn't have radio connection.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

I also remember that in several occasions Luck was leaving the huddle toward the sidelines to ask something and even once tapping his helmet at the ears like he wouldn't have radio connection.

2 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

Perhaps you've stumbled on an unreported story... not sure where you could get clarification though? 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chud is upstairs.    He calls the plays down to Schottenheimer,  and Schott calls them into Luck's radio helmet.

The voice that Luck hears is Schottenheimer.      But the play calling comes from Chud.

That's how it works.      In fact,  the TV Broadcast team even explained it on the air......

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/8/4/12377366/colts-offensive-coordinator-rob-chudzinski-plans-to-continue-to-call-plays-from-the-booth 

"This year there’s a new rule change that could have a significant impact on Chudzinski, however, as for the first time coaches in the box are allowed to communicate via headset with the quarterback on the field. Previously, only coaches on the sideline could communicate on the headset with the quarterback, meaning that last year Chud called the plays down to Clyde Christensen, who then relayed the calls to Andrew Luck. This year, Chud can call the plays in directly to Luck."

16 minutes ago, Everyone said:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/8/4/12377366/colts-offensive-coordinator-rob-chudzinski-plans-to-continue-to-call-plays-from-the-booth 

"This year there’s a new rule change that could have a significant impact on Chudzinski, however, as for the first time coaches in the box are allowed to communicate via headset with the quarterback on the field. Previously, only coaches on the sideline could communicate on the headset with the quarterback, meaning that last year Chud called the plays down to Clyde Christensen, who then relayed the calls to Andrew Luck. This year, Chud can call the plays in directly to Luck."

Yes, but there's more-

"There’s some differences in terms of, always communication to the coach on the sideline, there’s communication from that coach to the quarterback, and being on the sideline there is an advantage in terms of if you can’t hear something, if it cuts out – which happens, things cut out at times and that’s a pretty regular type occurrence – you’re close enough where some of the times you can even yell from the sidelines what you want, or the quarterback can communicate, ‘hey, I didn’t hear that,’ those sorts of things. So we have to work through those and just see procedurally how that works from being up in the box. It’s new for everyone in the league this season. So I’m excited about it and looking forward to it and expect that we won’t have any issues with it.

And a contingency plan-

If there are issues with the headset cutting out, the quarterback knows plays that they have worked on as contingency plays in case he can’t hear the play call, and that the coaches on the sidelines also know what to do and what plays to turn to in the event the headset cuts out.

So it is easy to see why there is interaction from Chud in the headset or at times Schottenheimer on the sideline.

I'd still like to see Luck change plays at the line based on what the defense is giving him. 

Single or double coverage on TY - Luck will still throw to him. 

Stacked box, we'll still run it. 

Getting crushed by blitzes or stunts, throw a freakin slant / or a (gasp) screen! 

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'd still like to see Luck change plays at the line based on what the defense is giving him. 

Single or double coverage on TY - Luck will still throw to him. 

Stacked box, we'll still run it. 

Getting crushed by blitzes or stunts, throw a freakin slant / or a (gasp) screen! 

Noticed this too. Is this because Luck doesn't want to audible, or does the coaching staff not let him?

6 hours ago, Everyone said:

That's interesting.....

I'm just sharing what the broadcast said.....      Chud to Schottenheimer...   and Schott to Luck...

But the OP's comment was that Chud wasn't calling the plays,  that Schottenheimer was.     And your link doesn't back that up....     

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's interesting.....

I'm just sharing what the broadcast said.....      Chud to Schottenheimer...   and Schott to Luck...

Broadcaster had the latter half of last years methodology.  Not this year, Chud calls Luck from the booth.

But the OP's comment was that Chud wasn't calling the plays,  that Schottenheimer was.     And your link doesn't back that up....     

Well,his might not, but this clears up how it can look like Schottenheimer was-

After admitting communication breakdown are fairly common at games,

"If we have any type of communication breakdown, we have plays specifically that the quarterback would get to if he couldn’t hear or didn’t know, as well as the coach on the sideline, as well, knowing what we are wanting in those particular scenarios.”

So if Luck looks toward the sideline tapping his helmet, Schotty could easily tell (yell) him the play or what predetermined play to run.   But it is still Chud's game plan against that team for down and distance purposes.

I'm not certain the OC and QB coach can both have a live wire to their QB at the same time, though.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Coordinators-Reveal-Their-In-Game-Communications-Plans/63b98a6c-0528-4cc3-b9cb-db2f5e80bbf0

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Broadcaster had the latter half of last years methodology.  Not this year, Chud calls Luck from the booth.

Well,his might not, but this clears up how it can look like Schottenheimer was-

After admitting communication breakdown are fairly common at games,

"If we have any type of communication breakdown, we have plays specifically that the quarterback would get to if he couldn’t hear or didn’t know, as well as the coach on the sideline, as well, knowing what we are wanting in those particular scenarios.”

So if Luck looks toward the sideline tapping his helmet, Schotty could easily tell (yell) him the play or what predetermined play to run.   But it is still Chud's game plan against that team for down and distance purposes.

I'm not certain the OC and QB coach can both have a live wire to their QB at the same time, though.

I'm fine with whatever the mechanics are....

My only point for responding in this thread is that the OP claimed Schottenheimer was calling the plays and that's when the Colts offense was good.

That's false.    And I want to make sure people here understand that it's not true.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm fine with whatever the mechanics are....

My only point for responding in this thread is that the OP claimed Schottenheimer was calling the plays and that's when the Colts offense was good.

That's false.    And I want to make sure people here understand that it's not true.

See my post above.  I think it could be a case where you both are right.  The communication to Luck's headset goes out, Luck looks to Schotty, he calls in the play or play number on the game plan play chart / arm band knowing what Chud wants in that situation down and distance.  Schotty might send it in, but it is still Chud's game plan.  Just a substitute playcaller while Chud's headset is down.

If any thing, I see the OP giving Schotty credit that is the game plan, and not Schotty's call (though Luck, Schotty etc. likely had input to Chud while Rob was crafting the game plan.

3 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

Schplac.jpg

Photo evidence here. It might be false but sure it looks like he's calling plays.

Explained in my above posts.

" If there are radio issues — Chudzinski said it’s a common problem just about each week — then the Colts’ staff and players, particularly their quarterbacks, have a plan in place to make sure an effective play is called, regardless. "

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Coordinators-Reveal-Their-In-Game-Communications-Plans/63b98a6c-0528-4cc3-b9cb-db2f5e80bbf0

10 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

Schplac.jpg

Photo evidence here. It might be false but sure it looks like he's calling plays.

He's relaying plays.       That's his job.

That isn't photo evidence.      That says he has a play chart and he's covering mouth.

Reading anything else into that is a reach....     a huge reach.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's relaying plays.       That's his job.

That isn't photo evidence.      That says he has a play chart and he's covering mouth.

Reading anything else into that is a reach....     a huge reach.

Oh well, it seems a reach is commited here. Sir, thank you for the correction :-)

9 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

Oh well, it seems a reach is commited here. Sir, thank you for the correction :-)

Ask yourself this....

Other than Chud getting sick and had to leave the press box,  why would he give up calling the plays?

Why would Schottenheimer take a series or two?         Why would Pagano let that happen?

Jobs are on the line here.       You think anyone wants to lose their job over something like this?

It just doesn't add up.......

The picture is innocent,  and you'r reading something into it that isn't there....

7 hours ago, Everyone said:

Interesting, but why then isn't Chud on the sidelines to begin with, like Josh McDaniels? Does Chud have a pollen allergy?

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ask yourself this....

Other than Chud getting sick and had to leave the press box,  why would he give up calling the plays?

Why would Schottenheimer take a series or two?         Why would Pagano let that happen?

Jobs are on the line here.       You think anyone wants to lose their job over something like this?

It just doesn't add up.......

The picture is innocent,  and you'r reading something into it that isn't there....

Believe me, I'm innocent too. I saw something on the TV that I found interesting and just wanted to share with the guys around here and ask them about their thoughts :-)

12 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Interesting, but why then isn't Chud on the sidelines to begin with, like Josh McDaniels? Does Chud have a pollen allergy?

It's been said and relayed multiple times that Chud likes to view the game from the booth. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought Chud could communicate with Luck directly now since the NFL changed the rule this offseason?

36 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Directly from Rob himself-

“I think you can see the game better up there, as far as understanding what exactly they’re running and responding,” he said. “The issues that come up — why a particular play doesn’t work — you have a better view of why that happened.”

Also, a booth tends to be “a little bit calmer environment” than down on the sidelines.

“You can lay things out and work through our gameplan in terms of that, as opposed to being down there and you’re in the middle of the rain or the middle of the elements and all those type of things,” Chudzinski said.

There you have it.  And if his headset goes down, he, Luck, and Schottenheimer have contingency plans already in place.

32 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

Believe me, I'm innocent too. I saw something on the TV that I found interesting and just wanted to share with the guys around here and ask them about their thoughts :-)

It was a good catch too.  But it is part of the contingency plan to make sure a good play gets called, even if Chud's headset in the booth cuts out.  and he admits it happens almost every week.

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Directly from Rob himself-

“I think you can see the game better up there, as far as understanding what exactly they’re running and responding,” he said. “The issues that come up — why a particular play doesn’t work — you have a better view of why that happened.”

Also, a booth tends to be “a little bit calmer environment” than down on the sidelines.

“You can lay things out and work through our gameplan in terms of that, as opposed to being down there and you’re in the middle of the rain or the middle of the elements and all those type of things,” Chudzinski said.

There you have it.  And if his headset goes down, he, Luck, and Schottenheimer have contingency plans already in place.

All that plus the eats are better up there. haha

59 minutes ago, Gyworks said:

Sorry.....     didn't mean to give you such a hard time....

Appreciate your post....      Thanks!             :thmup:  

29 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I thought Chud could communicate with Luck directly now since the NFL changed the rule this offseason?

You're probably right.    Perhaps Chud can talk directly with Luck.

But I believe Schotten can too.       I don't know if it's only one coach allowed per play?    Or if multiple can talk to Luck.         But when Schott is talking to Luck,   I don't think he's calling the plays instead of Chud.

Relaying information?      Yes.       Calling the plays?      I don't think so.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He can, from the booth with his headset.  But what if the headset cuts out? (and they do...)

They have things in place for that. I'm sure communication doesn't entirely cease between the coaching staff just because the communication between chud and luck is interfered with. 

Chud is is the offensive coordinator and all plays called are called by him or delegated to be called. That's his job. End of story everyone. Move on. 

58 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

They have things in place for that. I'm sure communication doesn't entirely cease between the coaching staff just because the communication between chud and luck is interfered with. 

Chud is is the offensive coordinator and all plays called are called by him or delegated to be called. That's his job. End of story everyone. Move on. 

Yes, they do have plans and I have mentioned them in this thread numerous times. 

I  now know people don't read posts, just respond.. .

learning every day...