Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive issues [Merge]

GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

...We we're down 5 starters and a nickel back on D don't you?...down 4 db's in a passing league against one of the better passing teams in the league is not a good recipe.

The terrible tackling wasn't because of the injuries to secondary 

There are always reasons, explanations, justifications for mediocrity.  Meanwhile...we are going on four years of the same ole issues that continually perplex this team.  It's not getting any better...in fact it looks to have gotten worse from here.  We can't afford to go nose blind to a coach and defense stinking up the joint.

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

...We we're down 5 starters and a nickel back on D don't you?...down 4 db's in a passing league against one of the better passing teams in the league is not a good recipe.

A lot the guys who are starters played a major part in the missed tackles so there is no excuse

I have been a Colts fan for 53 years and lived through many "hard times".  But THIS is one of the worst defensive exhibitions I can remember.  The number of missed tackles throughout the game was absolutely pathetic.  Forget about the injuries; ALL teams have them.  IF you are on the squad, you should be able to tackle.  IF I were to point fingers, the missed tackle on Stafford by Kendall Langford at the beginning of Detroit's game winning drive lost the game.  That should have been a sack.  With that said, I'll be rooting hard for Indy next week.

8 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah what the heck was up with that.  I know the Colts have never had a dominant D by any means but shouldn't these players be taught to tackle??!!  

Of all the teams I watched play today the Colts defense looked the worse.  We don't look like we belong on a professional field of play.  It's embarrassing.

I felt this needed it's own thread.

The defense that we saw today, was the most undisciplined display of professional football I have ever seen. Constantly defenders were over-pursuing, missing tackles, coming in at the wrong angle, being unprepared in general, and blowing coverage's.

I know this is not the most talented group on defense, and I know there are a ton of injuries, but discipline is something that falls on the coaching staff. You would never see a Belichick defense come out and perform like that, even if he was starting rookies across every position.

I'm not sure if we can get this fixed this season, but a definite culture change is needed for this team to start getting the proper coaching.

Injuries are very difficult to overcome, add to that Langford just came back from a 4wk injury, then we had rookies and people just signed playing some serious snap counts, and to top it all off, we lose a couple of players to injury.  It could have been a lot worse.  They did get some stops to help us get back in the game, but couldn't get the last stop, and I'm sure they were gassed.

The pass rush was concerning, you can mask a lot of problems with qb pressure, and we had little to none.  There is no easy answer for this.  Do we make the call, and by call I mean Greg Hardy, he is the only person off the street, on a practice squad, who can truly help.  Even then, he will take a few weeks to get into playing shape/learn the playbook.  Yes I know!!  When looking at the debacle in Big D, they did not have the locker room to bring in this type of person, lack of leadership on the field/locker room.  We have a very veteran locker room, guys who I believe you tow the line for.  You sign him to a very incentive laden contract, and put him on a very short leash!!  No I am not condoning his past, but I have also come up short in being the best person I can be.  Thankfully I have been giving multiple chances to prove myself, and have given multiple chances to prove the majority wrong.  Yes, at times I have been burned, and there were stiff consequences for those decisions.  

12 minutes ago, thecorn4 said:

Injuries are very difficult to overcome, add to that Langford just came back from a 4wk injury, then we had rookies and people just signed playing some serious snap counts, and to top it all off, we lose a couple of players to injury.  It could have been a lot worse.  They did get some stops to help us get back in the game, but couldn't get the last stop, and I'm sure they were gassed.

The pass rush was concerning, you can mask a lot of problems with qb pressure, and we had little to none.  There is no easy answer for this.  Do we make the call, and by call I mean Greg Hardy, he is the only person off the street, on a practice squad, who can truly help.  Even then, he will take a few weeks to get into playing shape/learn the playbook.  Yes I know!!  When looking at the debacle in Big D, they did not have the locker room to bring in this type of person, lack of leadership on the field/locker room.  We have a very veteran locker room, guys who I believe you tow the line for.  You sign him to a very incentive laden contract, and put him on a very short leash!!  No I am not condoning his past, but I have also come up short in being the best person I can be.  Thankfully I have been giving multiple chances to prove myself, and have given multiple chances to prove the majority wrong.  Yes, at times I have been burned, and there were stiff consequences for those decisions.  

Good post. Better coverage would also = more sacks. Anderson + a couple db's back would solve the problem.

32 minutes ago, GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE said:

Every one is really pointing out great points and issues but 40 secs, hold them to 20 yds minimum, get the W....

With 37 seconds, the Colts left Theo Riddick totally uncovered coming out of the backfield for a huge pass reception.

A completely busted defensive scheme. How do you not account for Riddick with 37 seconds to go?

Knowing the Lions passes to the RB killed us all night?

1 hour ago, cmgww said:

Yeah, people are tending to overlook the fact we were playing FAs that weren't even on the roster until last Wednesday....Did we even have any CBs left? I don't like to blame injuries but we were at our breaking point.

I actually would say that coverage wise, the DBs performed pretty well considering the situation.

Lack of pass rush is a big one but you were kidding yourself if you didn't think that would be an issue going into the season.

as for the secondary when you are down to five players, two or three of which got here this week and another one was playing his first game as a Colt there is only so much you can do.  

Well I just finished watching this game. Disappointing to lose like that. This game was won and the Colts once again started slow and they defensively stunk when we needed them the most.

Just sad really. Being down 21-3 is insane. We need to make some defensive changes. I think our offense did really well overall but we just need guys to make plays when you have to...and the Colts defensive players didn't do it today.