Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Props to 1st team OL while Luck was in!

loudnproudcolt

I confess I only watched the first quarter, but after everyone crushing the OL, I thought they were super in the time they played with Luck. He had really clean pockets, was under little pressure, and even though the runs were not long, they did plenty to make sure Baltimore could not focus on the pass. I know it was only a quarter, and preseason, but after 10 months, it was nice to see Luck with no one around him. 8-8 with a couple of runs. The two drives minus the penalties and fumble looked great. Put T.Y. in there, and this team could put up points. Loved how Chud had those quick passes and check downs, which also helped to keep the pocket clean. The one play where Luck was looking downfield for Dorsett, and had all day, was able to read the whole field, and come back all the way across to the left side to hit Montcrief for about 10 yds. It makes a big difference when you have time to actually be able to go through progressions, and accuracy follows. Great start for the OL and Luck in those two drives.

7 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I confess I only watched the first quarter, but after everyone crushing the OL, I thought they were super in the time they played with Luck. He had really clean pockets, was under little pressure, and even though the runs were not long, they did plenty to make sure Baltimore could not focus on the pass. I know it was only a quarter, and preseason, but after 10 months, it was nice to see Luck with no one around him. 8-8 with a couple of runs. The two drives minus the penalties and fumble looked great. Put T.Y. in there, and this team could put up points. Loved how Chud had those quick passes and check downs, which also helped to keep the pocket clean. The one play where Luck was looking downfield for Dorsett, and had all day, was able to read the whole field, and come back all the way across to the left side to hit Montcrief for about 10 yds. It makes a big difference when you have time to actually be able to go through progressions, and accuracy follows. Great start for the OL and Luck in those two drives.

Good. I made the mistake of thinking the game was on Sunday so I missed it. If they can keep pressure off, those progressions should get quicker too. Which will help timing and the OL as well. Looking forward to game 3 to see how they old up

Okay, I think we're going to have to pull all three of your Colts Fandom Badges!

Just watched the first Q, thought the game was on Sunday, who are the starting 5?????

(Just kidding... of course.  Some of us take the preseason more seriously than others.  Some of us, like me, take it waaaay too seriously.)

I'll be watching even closer against the Eagles since we are game planning for this opponent and the line will see more blitz pressures.  Want to see how well we go about handling and picking up the blitz.   I'm not too concerned about the run blocking right now.  I think that will get better with Gore in the game and just in general as we move along.

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Okay, I think we're going to have to pull all three of your Colts Fandom Badges!

Just watched the first Q, thought the game was on Sunday, who are the starting 5?????

(Just kidding... of course.  Some of us take the preseason more seriously than others.  Some of us, like me, take it waaaay too seriously.)

Me too!! :)  

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Same here haha never in my life did I ever think I'd watch a full pre season game let alone watch it multiple times constantly rewinding to watch specific players lol

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

Same here haha never in my life did I ever think I'd watch a full pre season game let alone watch it multiple times constantly rewinding to watch specific players lol

What about me and so many others. I never thought I'd be watching draft prospects on YouTube and making mocks, which I did the last couple seasons. And felt so bad other teams drafted "my players" instead of Colts. Lol.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I'll be watching even closer against the Eagles since we are game planning for this opponent and the line will see more blitz pressures.  Want to see how well we go about handling and picking up the blitz.   I'm not too concerned about the run blocking right now.  I think that will get better with Gore in the game and just in general as we move along.

Me, too. My concern is, and has been the right-side OL edge.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

By comparison, I watched a lot of other teams, too. I wanted to see where the Colts were in their development as compared with other good teams. Specifically, I wanted to see if players seemed to have a good "sight picture" and feel for the game, without having to think too much about what they were supposed to do. Some teams seem to be further along at this than we are - but that's only based on two pre-season games. Can't really put too much credence in that assessment at this point.

It's tough to tell because B'More didn't have their stud pass-rushers in there.  BUT, it might have only really mattered on about 2 plays because they weren't doing a lot of 7-step drops, they were getting the ball out much quicker.  I hope we see more of that and negate a good pass-rushing team.

13 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

It's tough to tell because B'More didn't have their stud pass-rushers in there.  BUT, it might have only really mattered on about 2 plays because they weren't doing a lot of 7-step drops, they were getting the ball out much quicker.  I hope we see more of that and negate a good pass-rushing team.

Even Luck's scramble, he still had time, just needed to slide in the pocket. I have no problem with him taking off quickly, because it further stresses the defense and forces the rushers to stay disciplined, but it's not like he was under pressure and forced to leave the pocket.

I thought the first team OL did a good job in both phases. Kelly got beat on one run play, which closed a hole. I thought Turbin left a lot of yards on the field. Don't think I saw any outside zone stuff, but it was there if we wanted, based on how the defense was playing the run.  Not getting too excited, but the line play was good, IMO.