Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Right Guard

CR91

Okay, first of all, it's June. Let's not go making assumptions on week 1 starters by the minicamp lineups. I'm still thinking Good has a higher ceiling than Reitz, who is serviceable at best at RT, and the coaches love Good. 

Thornton I think will likely get the nod at RG. He can be good but is wildly inconsistent. He's slimmed down for the ZBS so I think if he can show the wheels for the scheme he has to be the front runner. Unless someone out performs him at camp and preseason then I can't see him being replaced. 

As as for the other option, Clark needs to learn to run block and learn to play in a pro offense instead of that alley cat playbook they used at TexasTech. Blythe is a late round backup centre as it stands. Haeg needs work as well.

If anything I can see Reitz starting at RG more than RT. He is much better inside in my opinion anyway. He gets burnt off the edge by faster rushers far too often to be an every week starter. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What I've noted since 2013.....  it also happened in '14, and '15 and now in 16,  is that right after camp breaks and the players leave for roughly 50 days the roster gets updated with new weights.

Not everybody has a different weight.     In fact this year fewer players changed weight up or down than any other year that I've been a fan.     Good is not the only player with a new number.     There are one or two dozen other guys as well.       So,  this is definitely deliberate.     And the team doesn't update them officially on the website for one full year.     This is the only time I'm aware of that the weight is changed.     If I'm wrong,  I hope someone corrects me,   but I believe I'm correct.

Good's number jumped off the screen at me,  I was hoping to see smaller...    maybe in the 330's or perhaps even as low as 325.     But I certainly could've been OK at 340.       But 355?      I have no idea what they're thinking on this one......?

We will see but I don't see how he gains 15lbs during OTAs. 355 is way too big for a ZBS guard. That's on the high side for a power scheme too to be honest. Not unless he gained weight during the time period he rehabbed from whatever injury that was. I'm still inclined to believe its a site or information error like when they had Werner listed on the PS last year even though he was never on the PS.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What I've noted since 2013.....  it also happened in '14, and '15 and now in 16,  is that right after camp breaks and the players leave for roughly 50 days the roster gets updated with new weights.

Not everybody has a different weight.     In fact this year fewer players changed weight up or down than any other year that I've been a fan.     Good is not the only player with a new number.     There are one or two dozen other guys as well.       So,  this is definitely deliberate.     And the team doesn't update them officially on the website for one full year.     This is the only time I'm aware of that the weight is changed.     If I'm wrong,  I hope someone corrects me,   but I believe I'm correct.

Good's number jumped off the screen at me,  I was hoping to see smaller...    maybe in the 330's or perhaps even as low as 325.     But I certainly could've been OK at 340.       But 355?      I have no idea what they're thinking on this one......?

I know that you usually keep track of the weights though. I hope that 355 was an error.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

We will see but I don't see how he gains 15lbs during OTAs. 355 is way too big for a ZBS guard. That's on the high side for a power scheme too to be honest. Not unless he gained weight during the time period he rehabbed from whatever injury that was. I'm still inclined to believe its a site or information error like when they had Werner listed on the PS last year even though he was never on the PS.

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that he gained weight after the season,   but during OTA's he's not getting his heart rate up for long enough periods of time to burn off the needed calories.

For what it's worth,  I'm going to be sending a question to the Colts.com's Kevin Bowen for him to answer his his twice weekly mailbag....

On 6/11/2016 at 11:11 AM, BProland85 said:

I really think Le'Raven Clark has a shot to start by year's end at RT. He has much more talent than Reitz, just needs to be coached up during the year. Haeg I could see as a swing player similar to how Reitz is being used. As for RG, I think it'll be a battle between Good and Thornton.

And didn`t Clark fall to the 4th because he actually Lacks developed Talent?
 Yip, it is so.
  Just a good Prospect at this time.

18 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

And didn`t Clark fall to the 4th because he actually Lacks developed Talent?
 Yip, it is so.
  Just a good Prospect at this time.

Clark went in the 3rd. I had him going in the 4th. Clearly wasn't strong enough and technique issues.

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Gavin.......

You've just basically written that guard is harder to play than tackle.

Not only is that not true,  it's not even a little bit true.

It's why tackles are far more coveted than guards.      It's why OK tackles are moved inside where they can turn into much better guards.

Tackles get blitzed plenty....    but outside linebackers,  by safeties...   and D-tackles that are coming around on a looping stunt.

As for the 355,  no one uses the off-season camp to get into shape anymore.    Teams don't let players get bigger because they're going to sweat it off coming training camp in July and August.      There's a reason why he's this big.     I don't know what the reason is,  especially when other players are either looking to get smaller (Thornton) or holding their weight....     but when the biggest guy on the line (Good) who was already 340 suddenly is listed at 355,  then odds are,  there's a plan in place.   Because if there isn't,  then that shouldn't happen.

How could Anyone think our Staff is hoping Harrison is our guard?
  He had been the only healthy, Vet!!
   They want their 5 best players on the field. They want position versatility.
   Good may become our best RT & RG come the 53 man cut. For darn sure they want him to be able to play both positions.
  But he better drop that weight considerably or he could go the way of blobs Chapman & Hughes.

And Good not participating on field has been covered on a daily basis.
  "The uncertainty rests at right guard. Denzelle Good, who started four games at right tackle as a rookie, worked at guard after missing a few weeks with an undisclosed injury and undoubtedly will push Harrison once he gets comfortable with the new position."

"Colts second-year T/G Denzelle Good was getting reps at right guard at Tuesday's OTA.
Good made four starts at right tackle as a rookie, receiving strong marks from Pro Football Focus for his run blocking. A mammoth at 6'6/340, Good is a plus athlete for his size, and the team has talked him up as a potential starter. The Colts are set LT-C, but need to figure out the right side of their line." May 31 - 6:16 PM

23 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Clark went in the 3rd. I had him going in the 4th. Clearly wasn't strong enough and technique issues.

Oops! Swapped him with Ridgeway i guess!  It is understood that he played in a college system that does not prepare you for the NFL. And that his physical tangibles offer him a great opportunity to become good.
 Love the pic.

22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kind of pre mature to say who will be starting at this point. It's not out of the question for a rookie to earn a starting spot during training camp and 5 pre season games.

It's not out of the question but Clark needs some time coming from TT's spread. Maybe he takes over at RT some time this year but week 1 is asking a lot. 

Then Haeg not only has 3 vets to out play he needs to add size and strength to play G in the NFL a position he's never played.

Blythe's short arms and build probably limit him to the pivot on Sunday's.  If he beats out Kelly we have a story but still 1 rookie starting. If he can play G he again has 3 vets jump again not impossible but I'm not seeing it. 

I am not sure it is premature to say who is starting on Offense I'm going to predict these 11 guys trot out there week 1:  WR-Hilton Moncrief Dorsett TE-Allen T- Castonzo Reitz G- Mewhort Thorton C-Kelly QB-Luck RB-Gore. 

I would bet that barring injury I hit at least 90%. I could do the same thing on D. DL Langford Perry Jones OLB Walden Cole ILB  DQ Irving CB Davis Robinson S Geathers Adams. 

On 6/11/2016 at 2:16 AM, CR91 said:

So I think its safe to say that joe reitz will be the RT. His only real competition is good and he isnt even getting reps at second string tackle. A

Good was held out of OTAs for health reasons as a precaution. I agree Reitz should start at RT, but Good could still take it.

34 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Good was held out of OTAs for health reasons as a precaution. I agree Reitz should start at RT, but Good could still take it.

Good was back for the end of OTAs though and he's only been mentioned as playing guard

Everybody knows the left side of the line is pretty much locked up by AC, Mewhort, and Kelly at C. I'm thinking the Colts view Le'Raven Clark as the RT of the future. I believe that they are grooming him to take over for Reitz, whether it's during the season or next season. As for RG, I believe that the starter will be either Hugh or Good. It pretty clear who the Colts view as the future. The only reason Harrison is getting snaps at RG is because the Colts view Kelly and Blythe as the centers for this team and Hugh and Good were injured. Harrison has to prove he can make the switch to RG so he can make the 53 man roster. I see Haeg as our future "Reitz", our 6th lineman that comes in if someone gets injured. Just my thoughts on the offensive line. I see the Colts carrying nine offensive lineman this season. They are, 1. AC 2. Mewhort 3. Kelly 4. Good 5. Reitz 6. Haeg 7. Blythe 8. Clark 9. Hugh. I don't see Harrison making the 53 man roster.

48 minutes ago, ColtsBleedBlue said:

Everybody knows the left side of the line is pretty much locked up by AC, Mewhort, and Kelly at C. I'm thinking the Colts view Le'Raven Clark as the RT of the future. I believe that they are grooming him to take over for Reitz, whether it's during the season or next season. As for RG, I believe that the starter will be either Hugh or Good. It pretty clear who the Colts view as the future. The only reason Harrison is getting snaps at RG is because the Colts view Kelly and Blythe as the centers for this team and Hugh and Good were injured. Harrison has to prove he can make the switch to RG so he can make the 53 man roster. I see Haeg as our future "Reitz", our 6th lineman that comes in if someone gets injured. Just my thoughts on the offensive line. I see the Colts carrying nine offensive lineman this season. They are, 1. AC 2. Mewhort 3. Kelly 4. Good 5. Reitz 6. Haeg 7. Blythe 8. Clark 9. Hugh. I don't see Harrison making the 53 man roster.

Pretty much my exact thoughts on the OL.  The only thing I would add is that Haeg could be a real wildcard in the RG competition.  I expect Good to win it over Thornton, but I think Haeg could be a more ideal ZBS OG than either of those two.  I would trend away from Haeg winning that spot this year, as a rookie is at a little of a disadvantage.  But Haeg, like Reitz, will probably get his earliest starts at a guard position, on his way to eventually winning that swing-tackle, 6th lineman role... 

13 hours ago, akcolt said:

It's not out of the question but Clark needs some time coming from TT's spread. Maybe he takes over at RT some time this year but week 1 is asking a lot. 

Then Haeg not only has 3 vets to out play he needs to add size and strength to play G in the NFL a position he's never played.

Blythe's short arms and build probably limit him to the pivot on Sunday's.  If he beats out Kelly we have a story but still 1 rookie starting. If he can play G he again has 3 vets jump again not impossible but I'm not seeing it. 

I am not sure it is premature to say who is starting on Offense I'm going to predict these 11 guys trot out there week 1:  WR-Hilton Moncrief Dorsett TE-Allen T- Castonzo Reitz G- Mewhort Thorton C-Kelly QB-Luck RB-Gore. 

I would bet that barring injury I hit at least 90%. I could do the same thing on D. DL Langford Perry Jones OLB Walden Cole ILB  DQ Irving CB Davis Robinson S Geathers Adams. 

There was a reason that these offensive linemen were drafted and it's wasn't because the existing vets were doing all that good of a job. Just saying.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There was a reason that these offensive linemen were drafted and it's wasn't because the existing vets were doing all that good of a job. Just saying.

I agree the reason is we stink at G & C and I'm guessing someone noticed Good doing his Fat Albert routine 255 really?  That being said there aren't many 5th and fewer 7th round picks that ready to start on the OL week 1. 

I expect Thorton to benefit the most from Kelly and Philbin. Thorton has the tools and Philbin will get him lined out. I think we get a solid year from him if healthy.  

I could see Clark making a run at RT before the end of the season or Hugh getting the early hook if he can't figure it out. Week 1 I think we are looking at Thorton and Reitz starting on the right side.

Grig's wants Reitz "General manager Ryan Grigson even told 1070 the Fan’s Dan Dakich earlier this week that he wants Reitz to win the job." If you listen they are calling Thorton the Wild card of the OL

9 hours ago, akcolt said:

I agree the reason is we stink at G & C and I'm guessing someone noticed Good doing his Fat Albert routine 255 really?  That being said there aren't many 5th and fewer 7th round picks that ready to start on the OL week 1. 

I expect Thorton to benefit the most from Kelly and Philbin. Thorton has the tools and Philbin will get him lined out. I think we get a solid year from him if healthy.  

I could see Clark making a run at RT before the end of the season or Hugh getting the early hook if he can't figure it out. Week 1 I think we are looking at Thorton and Reitz starting on the right side.

Grig's wants Reitz "General manager Ryan Grigson even told 1070 the Fan’s Dan Dakich earlier this week that he wants Reitz to win the job." If you listen they are calling Thorton the Wild card of the OL

I think you meant 355.  Also, If you listen, there has been more talk about Good from the higher ups than Thorton or Reitz.  Griggs can't make Reitz start.  Those days are over.  P a gs and Philbin will determine that. There is a debate if Good truly weighs that much but even so he can carry a lot because his frame is so big.  An x factor is something you can't count on.  I still believe Good will be better than both of them at both positions.

RG is probably the most wide open competition in camp if you ask me.

Thornton has the obvious inside track.  But there are plenty of players available that could displace him.

Harrison - Might be a little slow especially in ZBS

Haeg 

Goode

Blythe - Might be a little small.  

Reitz - If someone else wins the RT spot he could get pushed over to RG.

Clark - Doubtful as he seems to project strictly as a tackle, but you never know.  It's always possible that if he's ahead of schedule the could put him at RG to try to get him some game experience before moving him to RT. 

Thornton in no way has his starting spot wrapped up.  

25 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I think Thornton gets cut.   He has had his time to show what he can do.  And he is always hurt I think Harrison stays because he can play multiple positions 

We  shall see 

Thornton is hurt more than the coaches like and he needs to work on his conditioning, but he has shown that, when healthy, he is a very good guard.

Harrison may be able to line up at multiple position but he doesn't do any of them very well.