Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay unsure if Henry Anderson will be back by week 1

RockThatBlue

42 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The sooner we sign Luck the better, then make the trade for Mo. before camp.  I have to admit I am not getting a good feeling about Henry and Art. 

Why do you have a bad feeling about Anderson?  He was never going to be ready week 1.

Anderson says his knee feels good that is the best we could hope for at this point.

I for one am not sweating Art if he's ready to go it will be a welcome surprise if not he will be cut. It's not like the D is used to having guy. He isn't part of the future. It would not surprise me if Simmons makes a run at a roster spot

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I think, since he suffered the injury, most would probably have been surprised if he had been ready to start week 1. It wouldn't be much of a shock if he were out half the year.

Pretty good bet he starts the year on the PUP list.

I tore my ACL and Meniscus in high school and I went to play wrestling and came back early just so I didn't miss my senior year. I came back in 4 and a half months. I was sprinting and everything people were grabbing my leg and doing everything to it as normal and i didn't have a problem. How is he not going to be ready by week 1? Idk if they are just saying he isn't ready or they just don't want to rush it and get hurt again? But he should definitely be ready to play week 1 by then?

27 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I tore my ACL and Meniscus in high school and I went to play wrestling and came back early just so I didn't miss my senior year. I came back in 4 and a half months. I was sprinting and everything people were grabbing my leg and doing everything to it as normal and i didn't have a problem. How is he not going to be ready by week 1? Idk if they are just saying he isn't ready or they just don't want to rush it and get hurt again? But he should definitely be ready to play week 1 by then?

You think that is a good comparison? High school wrestling and professional football? No offense to wrastling but we are talking about 300+ pound guys....if I have to go any further then you really don't get it or you're a troll. 

It's cool you came back for your Sr. year of high school don't get me wrong. 

8 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Adrian Peterson called, and he thinks you are superhuman.

11 hours ago, BOTT said:

Why do you have a bad feeling about Anderson?  He was never going to be ready week 1.

Well, initially the reports were very optimistic that he would be and now have taken a different slant.  The injury did come in the middle of the season.  He has the benefit of team trainers and the best rehab equipment.  My 42 year old son tore his ACL in March playing soccer. They reattached it using a part they grafted from his body not a cadaver.  His rehab is going great and expects to play again in January.  He is older and not a professional athlete. I guess I was expecting the earlier reports to be more accurate.  If it is a long recovery and Jones is ,for sure, not a sure thing I think our line could become a big concern. I am probably over reacting.  Maybe because he is a heavy lineman it takes longer?  I guess I am not getting a good feeling that's all.  I would expect younger professional athletes to recover quicker.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well, initially the reports were very optimistic that he would be and now have taken a different slant.  The injury did come in the middle of the season.  He has the benefit of team trainers and the best rehab equipment.  My 42 year old son tore his ACL in March playing soccer. They reattached it using a part they grafted from his body not a cadaver.  His rehab is going great and expects to play again in January.  He is older and not a professional athlete. I guess I was expecting the earlier reports to be more accurate.  If it is a long recovery and Jones is ,for sure, not a sure thing I think our line could become a big concern. I am probably over reacting.  Maybe because he is a heavy lineman it takes longer?  I guess I am not getting a good feeling that's all.  I would expect younger professional athletes to recover quicker.

8 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Here's the thing, you can't compare Henry Anderson's injury and situation to that of yourself back in high school or your 42 year old son.  We're talking different sports which require different physical abilities, and more importantly we're talking about different people, with different muscles and ligaments that are going to heal differently.  No two injuries are exactly the same so recovery times are going to be unique.  

Richard, yes you are definitely over reacting.  This is Henry's first NFL injury and early reports are never right.  Remember last year, early reports were that Luck would be out for several weeks but then he wound up missing the rest of the season.  Do you have a bad feeling about him now too?

tweezy, I already addressed you in my previous post.  But again, it's a bit ridiculous to think that Henry should be back week 1 based on what may or may not have happened to you in high school.

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Here's the thing, you can't compare Henry Anderson's injury and situation to that of yourself back in high school or your 42 year old son.  We're talking different sports which require different physical abilities, and more importantly we're talking about different people, with different muscles and ligaments that are going to heal differently.  No two injuries are exactly the same so recovery times are going to be unique.  

Richard, yes you are definitely over reacting.  This is Henry's first NFL injury and early reports are never right.  Remember last year, early reports were that Luck would be out for several weeks but then he wound up missing the rest of the season.  Do you have a bad feeling about him now too?

tweezy, I already addressed you in my previous post.  But again, it's a bit ridiculous to think that Henry should be back week 1 based on what may or may not have happened to you in high school.

You just nullified my comment lol. I must also add you worded it much better than me too. :D

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Everyone is different.  So many things involved.  They put off surgery after the injury until swelling is down and range of motion has returned (could be as much as 2 weeks), which improves outcomes.  Using your own tissue (graft from patellar or hamstring tendon) is better than cadaver.  Synthetics haven't performed well at all. 

After the surgery, and immobilizer is used for about a month.  From then on (weeks 5 -16) rehabs, strengthening muscles of hips, thighs, and calves. Often in this process, an athlete will get permission for straight ahead running at about the 3 month point.  Cutting and running isn't allowed until the 4-6 month point.  This if all goes well.  Things can and do take longer for some folks.  At that point, then football conditioning begins.  That takes more time as well.

But in all of this, the reality is studies of NFL players have shown that only 63% of those coming off ACL reconstruction have returned to play in a regular season game within 2 years of the injury. And only 43% returned to preinjury performance levels.  It is also estimated 1 in 4 returning athletes suffers a second ACL injury at some point.  A 2013 study of those athletes 18 years old and younger (fast healing) having ACL reconstruction showed that 17% of those returning athletes suffered a second ACL tear within 5 years.

So there appears to be a 'biologic' healing time frame, and then also a functional performance time frame.  Rushing one back before full functional ability reduces the players ability and also increases re-injury chances.  I think medical staffs are being more cognizant of these items and clear athletes more cautiously.  Some will be faster in return than others, no question.

13 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

If the team is smart, they'll let him rest up until he's literally back to perfect health, whether that's week one, week ten or next season. We can't risk one of our best young defensive players sustaining a potentially career ruining injury.

I agree completely.  For a guy as big as Henry is -- there is no need to have him on the field having 300+lbs OL pushing on him and making him put any additional strain on  his knee(s) before he is 100%.

23 hours ago, akcolt said:

You think that is a good comparison? High school wrestling and professional football? No offense to wrastling but we are talking about 300+ pound guys....if I have to go any further then you really don't get it or you're a troll. 

It's cool you came back for your Sr. year of high school don't get me wrong. 

Not trying to talk me up or anything but I was just saying I was able to come back when people would yank on my knee and pull it and twist it and I and to push off on it all the same and more then football does. And still was able to come back early.. I was thinking he should be healthy to play, I didn't know if they were just playing it slow..

14 hours ago, Jason_S said:

ACL recovery is 6-9 months.. In August I believe it would be 9 montbasingI'm not basing it on my recovery I'm basin it on the timeline on how long it takes.. He should be back to almost full straight by August (should be). But I was just asking like is it him not revored by then or is it that they don't want to rush him in by week 1 becuase there is not hurry..

I would expect his recovery to be somewhat like Mathis' but maybe a little more extended than his as he is a much bigger dude.

Look for Anderson to be able to play at some point this season, maybe around mid season... But he probably wont be back to anywhere near full strength and like his old self until the final month or so of the season.... which will be fine supposing we make the playoffs :thmup:

4 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

ACL recovery is 6-9 months.. In August I believe it would be 9 montbasingI'm not basing it on my recovery I'm basin it on the timeline on how long it takes.. He should be back to almost full straight by August (should be). But I was just asking like is it him not revored by then or is it that they don't want to rush him in by week 1 becuase there is not hurry..

I think what Jason_S  was trying to explain to you is every persons injury is different with different healing times. He wasn't arguing with you, just telling you like it is. Irsay made a comment based of what he is told by the doctors I would think. I would venture to guess Anderson will be on the PUP list but that is just a guess. Every player with injury has their own timeline.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think what Jason_S  was trying to explain to you is every persons injury is different with different healing times. He wasn't arguing with you, just telling you like it is. Irsay made a comment based of what he is told by the doctors I would think. I would venture to guess Anderson will be on the PUP list but that is just a guess. Every player with injury has their own timeline.

Gotcha

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 11:28 PM, akcolt said:

Anderson says his knee feels good that is the best we could hope for at this point.

I for one am not sweating Art if he's ready to go it will be a welcome surprise if not he will be cut. It's not like the D is used to having guy. He isn't part of the future. It would not surprise me if Simmons makes a run at a roster spot

Well its good that we have Ridgeway and Mcgill if Anderson doesnt show up until later on in the season. Pagano and Grigson both seem unanimous in their assesment of Art Jones being ready for training camp from the doctors analysis. Outside of that, if it came down to somebody actually playing in a game besides Ridgeway and Mcgill I think they might go with Kelcy Quarles with whom they are more familiar with over Simmons. To me and this is without having seen him play as a Colt, I think Simmons needs a lot of technique work amongst other things from what I saw of him in college. He's got a nice frame though. My mind might might change when I actually see him play in the NFL. I think somewhere in the coaches heads they feel they maybe can mold him into a guy like Kendall Langford in a year or two with some time on the PS. I think another guy that could make the squad if some injuries happen is Sterling Bailey from Georgia. He plays pretty sound against the run, although not much of a pass rusher.