Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rookie Mini-camp OL Pictures

Archer

Okay, I know that options are limited before the veterans show up, but I noticed some things from scanning the mini-camp pictures on Colts.com (all 229 of them).  First the mini-camp's starting lineup on the OL was:

LT: Haeg

LG: Blythe

C: Kelly

RG: O'Brien

RT: Clark

Can't read too much, as they found a configuration that got all four draftees the most work.  However, here are some other observations:

1) The few shots that showed someone else than Kelly at center entailed Adam Redmond playing the position, rather than Blythe.  Maybe just a little clue that they really want Blythe to be a versatile interior back-up, rather than a pure center.  Plus, maybe they like Redmond at center.

2) I'm pretty sure I saw Haeg at LG in one shot, and maybe Clark in at LT for one shot.  Hoping that supports my previous thoughts that Haeg will start out as an OG this year, but Clark is pure OT.

3) Never saw anyone but O'Brien at RG.  I think he's a real possibility as a 9th or 10th OL on the final roster.  Check out his Pro Day #s from last year and they are surprisingly good.  He's pretty athletic - not eye-popping, but better than you'd expect.  Here's a link:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=95509&draftyear=2013&genpos=OG

That's enough observations, since I've already read way too much into a few pictures.

For some reason, I keep thinking Blythe is not that big, but isn't he around 6'3" and 300 lbs?  That seems big enough for guard.  If that's true, I definitely think he should learn the guard position as well because of his good technique and the pedigree of his college program. 

Haeg, oth, admits to being 220 lbs in high school and that's why he wasn't heavily recruited.  He has had to put on a lot of weight.  My theory is that he is light on his feet (like a tackle) because he was a thinner person starting out.  So, he may not have a lot of power for the guard position.  I don't know enough about the Zone concepts.  Maybe they are more desirous of quickness than power.

Clark is a tackle because of his super long arms.  It would be a waste to put him in a confined area where he can't use his greatest advantage.  He just has to be our future RT, if not LT one day...depending on how progresses.

My thoughts are that this is a pretty good rookie line. 

Outside of Kelly, I think it's waaaay too early to assume any rookies are playing any designated position yet. Today is the first time they will even be on the same field as some of the Vets. It'll shake itself out through TC.

20 hours ago, Archer said:

Okay, I know that options are limited before the veterans show up, but I noticed some things from scanning the mini-camp pictures on Colts.com (all 229 of them).  First the mini-camp's starting lineup on the OL was:

LT: Haeg

LG: Blythe

C: Kelly

RG: O'Brien

RT: Clark

Can't read too much, as they found a configuration that got all four draftees the most work.  However, here are some other observations:

1) The few shots that showed someone else than Kelly at center entailed Adam Redmond playing the position, rather than Blythe.  Maybe just a little clue that they really want Blythe to be a versatile interior back-up, rather than a pure center.  Plus, maybe they like Redmond at center.

2) I'm pretty sure I saw Haeg at LG in one shot, and maybe Clark in at LT for one shot.  Hoping that supports my previous thoughts that Haeg will start out as an OG this year, but Clark is pure OT.

3) Never saw anyone but O'Brien at RG.  I think he's a real possibility as a 9th or 10th OL on the final roster.  Check out his Pro Day #s from last year and they are surprisingly good.  He's pretty athletic - not eye-popping, but better than you'd expect.  Here's a link:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=95509&draftyear=2013&genpos=OG

That's enough observations, since I've already read way too much into a few pictures.

I enjoyed all 229 of those pics myself

The one thing I picked up from Blythe's video interview  was that he stated that at Iowa you play Offensive Line, not just one position. That said, I think he's a solid backup in the interior and that's where I except the Colts to give him the work. 

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Blythe_utilizing_versatility_wrestling_experience/f1b9c5ce-d9f9-4edf-9751-68025a136359

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Odd that Blythe would be at Guard. Maybe just trying to get him in there to get a look at where he's at. 

I figured he would be backup C, and Harrison would be moved to backup guard. 

Actually I believe Blythe can backup all 3 positions on the interior.  He could even potentially compete for the starting RG position.  

But even as a Hawkeye homer I have to admit I don't see him winning the starting job.  But I do see him being a backup for all 3 of the interior positions.  

22 hours ago, CR91 said:

I fully expect for clark to be our starting RT out of the gate with reitz starting at RG. Haeg will be reitz in a few years

I'm a huge fan of the Clark pick but I don't think he can start day one.  Maybe week 10 or so but I have serious doubt to a day one guy.  Good or Reitz will take that duty on.

43 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I'm a huge fan of the Clark pick but I don't think he can start day one.  Maybe week 10 or so but I have serious doubt to a day one guy.  Good or Reitz will take that duty on.

People keep saying he played in a spread offense and will have to learn a pro offense.  But my question is. . . is the blocking for a spread offense really that different then the blocking for a pro-style???

There is no question that quarterbacking a spread offense is certainly different from quarterbacking a pro-style offense.  But I was always under the impression that blocking was blocking no matter what offense you are in.  

Another question. . . where do people see Haeg? 

I like his resume . . . 2 time FCS all American for the FCS champs.  Yes I know it's FCS but the competition level is getting closer between FCS and FBS.  

Could the guy potentially play RG?  Or is he likely just a backup tackle?

23 hours ago, LockeDown said:

For some reason, I keep thinking Blythe is not that big, but isn't he around 6'3" and 300 lbs?  That seems big enough for guard.  If that's true, I definitely think he should learn the guard position as well because of his good technique and the pedigree of his college program. 

Haeg, oth, admits to being 220 lbs in high school and that's why he wasn't heavily recruited.  He has had to put on a lot of weight.  My theory is that he is light on his feet (like a tackle) because he was a thinner person starting out.  So, he may not have a lot of power for the guard position.  I don't know enough about the Zone concepts.  Maybe they are more desirous of quickness than power.

Clark is a tackle because of his super long arms.  It would be a waste to put him in a confined area where he can't use his greatest advantage.  He just has to be our future RT, if not LT one day...depending on how progresses.

My thoughts are that this is a pretty good rookie line. 

Blythe does qualify as undersized, he's a shade over 6'2", weighing in the 290s, but with very short arms for an O-lineman. 

39 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I'd rather Clark go through his growing pains early then deal with Thornton starting at guard or good starting at RT. Guys are good depth, but I don't trust them as starters. I rather see what the rookie can do

30 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Another question. . . where do people see Haeg? 

I like his resume . . . 2 time FCS all American for the FCS champs.  Yes I know it's FCS but the competition level is getting closer between FCS and FBS.  

Could the guy potentially play RG?  Or is he likely just a backup tackle?

I've seen the guy as Thornton's main competition at RG.  He seems like an ideal ZBS OG to me, but we have no idea what Philbin has in mind...

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I can't wait to see who the 2nd team OL is in pre-season. That'll give us a good idea of who is best where.

But looking at everyone's post, it seems like Good maybe relegated to a backup role.

Call me crazy, but usually when Irsay mentions things, they either happen or there is truth to it...and he has mentioned several times that Good might be a guard.  Now, maybe he doesn't mean starting guard.  It's kind of like his mentioning that Anderson and Luck were arguably our 2 best players.  He says things that make you think the FO is thinking that.  Now, to me, Good looks more powerful (ie more guard like) than our rookies, so I would think he might have an edge on that position.

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I can't wait to see who the 2nd team OL is in pre-season. That'll give us a good idea of who is best where.

But looking at everyone's post, it seems like Good maybe relegated to a backup role.

That'll definitely be the highlight of pre-season games

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I've seen the guy as Thornton's main competition at RG.  He seems like an ideal ZBS OG to me, but we have no idea what Philbin has in mind...

If either him or Clark win the starting RT job, then I would say Reitz moves inside where he will be hard for anyone to beat.  

30 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Call me crazy, but usually when Irsay mentions things, they either happen or there is truth to it...and he has mentioned several times that Good might be a guard.  Now, maybe he doesn't mean starting guard.  It's kind of like his mentioning that Anderson and Luck were arguably our 2 best players.  He says things that make you think the FO is thinking that.  Now, to me, Good looks more powerful (ie more guard like) than our rookies, so I would think he might have an edge on that position.

But Irsay did make those comments before the draft. I bet he never imagined Clark, Haeg, and Blythe would all fall to us. He probably thought Kelly was the only O-Line pick we'd make. I think being a 7th rounder from Mars Hill, Good may be the odd man out in terms of starting. All the guys we drafted have higher upside.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

People keep saying he played in a spread offense and will have to learn a pro offense.  But my question is. . . is the blocking for a spread offense really that different then the blocking for a pro-style???

There is no question that quarterbacking a spread offense is certainly different from quarterbacking a pro-style offense.  But I was always under the impression that blocking was blocking no matter what offense you are in.  

From my understanding (and it isn't much) the difference is mainly the time frame in which you block that changes the method of blocking.  Especially in the Tech offense there was a ton of one read shoot options that the Oline only had to jam and release to make the block.  In the NFL that isn't going to happen as most defenses will defend the short route leading to an actual engage to block the defender. The game may speed up but the time it takes to block slows down because now receiver can't just out-athlete the opposing corners. 

I may be completely incorrect here but this is what has been explained to me and my observations. 

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But Irsay did make those comments before the draft. I bet he never imagined Clark, Haeg, and Blythe would all fall to us. He probably thought Kelly was the only O-Line pick we'd make. I think being a 7th rounder from Mars Hill, Good may be the odd man out in terms of starting. All the guys we drafted have higher upside.

Hey, I'm all about the rookies as well, but Good is 6'6" and 340 lbs.  He's bigger than our other guys and it just seems he may be suited for guard play to me.

36 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Hey, I'm all about the rookies as well, but Good is 6'6" and 340 lbs.  He's bigger than our other guys and it just seems he may be suited for guard play to me.

Arn't tall guys better suited to playing tackle though?  

Either way it sounds like he's big enough to play either spot.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Arn't tall guys better suited to playing tackle though?  

Either way it sounds like he's big enough to play either spot.  

I do agree with DefJam that our rookies have higher upside as tackles, but maybe not guards.  That's all I'm saying.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yes, it's a lot different:

1.  usually in a spread offense the Olineman work out of a two point stance

2.  They don't have to hold their blocks as long.

3.  Even in the running game there is very little drive blocking from the lineman, it's more of a shield and move type blocking for lack of a better phrase.

4.  Not a lot of pocket forming in a spread because the QB usually has two reads and if they are not open then he runs.

If the Colts are moving to a zone blocking scheme then some of the weaknesses that come from playing a spread scheme can be minimized but there is still a transition that needs to take place.

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I do agree with DefJam that our rookies have higher upside as tackles, but maybe not guards.  That's all I'm saying.

Yeah Haeg and Clark are ideal RTs. If we didn't have Castonzo, either of them would make a solid LT as well. Blythe has the best shot at being a good guard IMO. He's played it before and he's great in the run game.

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, it's a lot different:

1.  usually in a spread offense the Olineman work out of a two point stance

2.  They don't have to hold their blocks as long.

3.  Even in the running game there is very little drive blocking from the lineman, it's more of a shield and move type blocking for lack of a better phrase.

4.  Not a lot of pocket forming in a spread because the QB usually has two reads and if they are not open then he runs.

If the Colts are moving to a zone blocking scheme then some of the weaknesses that come from playing a spread scheme can be minimized but there is still a transition that needs to take place.

Thank you I knew someone could articulate it much better than I could. 

On 5/8/2016 at 5:55 PM, SupermanLuck12 said:

I see Clark as possibly our future RT and Haeg as a backup OT.

I'm hoping the Colts try Blythe out at RG. If not, he should be a quality backup center.

Good thinking. We only dress 7 O-Lineman on game day and you think Blythe can be one of them if he can`t  also be a backup guard?
 What our fogged by a blue haze homers here must overlook is those stubs for arms AB has.
The guy only got drafted because of our GM! Yes it is a shame.