Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Irsay Trying To Break Up With Peyton?

Peyton and Eli fan

The woman on 1st Take today had an interesting analogy. She thinks that Irsay is breaking up with Manning and doing it like a High School boy breaks up with his girlfriend. Sending signals out until the girlfriend gets frustrated and breaks up with him instead.

GM not calling Peyton back, possibly sending messages through Rob Lowe, firing all of the coaches, saying "Not to my knowledge" when asked about the retirement issue...

Not sure I think that's what's happening, but I found it interesting because every woman has dealt with a man too chicken to break up and goes the round about, annoying route to avoid being the bad guy.

One of the other panelists also mentioned that the Colts have to be weary of Irsay turning into a celebrity owner. They cited his tweet response to Rob Lowe as being over the top and attention getting.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The woman on 1st Take today had an interesting analogy. She thinks that Irsay is breaking up with Manning and doing it like a High School boy breaks up with his girlfriend. Sending signals out until the girlfriend gets frustrated and breaks up with him instead.

GM not calling Peyton back, possibly sending messages through Rob Lowe, firing all of the coaches, saying "Not to my knowledge" when asked about the retirement issue...

Not sure I think that's what's happening, but I found it interesting because every woman has dealt with a man too chicken to break up and goes the round about, annoying route to avoid being the bad guy.

One of the other panelists also mentioned that the Colts have to be weary of Irsay turning into a celebrity owner. They cited his tweet response to Rob Lowe as being over the top and attention getting.

Mistake 1., Watching First Take

Mistake 2, Listening to First Take :)

No just having some fun with you there I have no idea what Irsay is thinking or trying to do. I'd have better luck understanding Tax law than I would understnding the way Jim Irsay thinks when he speaks in code which he does sometimes. The sad thing is I can't just rule it out that Irsay IS acting like a high school boy...

Mistake 1., Watching First Take

Mistake 2, Listening to First Take :)

No just having some fun with you there I have no idea what Irsay is thinking or trying to do. I'd have better luck understanding Tax law than I would understnding the way Jim Irsay thinks when he speaks in code which he does sometimes.

I know - it's more of a guilty pleasure (like paternity results on Maury Povich). I just got a kick out the analogy b/c I HATE it when guys break up like that.

If Irsay wants to break up he has an out.

All he has to say is the risk is too great to pick up the 28 million option, thus making Manning a free agent. He could throw out how it's unreasonable to pay the quarterback position 83 million dollars in a 2 year span.

Those might make him look like a bad guy to some, and he might not want that to happen. It might just be him being the quirky individual that he is.

I was just making a joke out of it but that's just me.

Look, just because their contract negotiations involved Irsay slipping him a note in the hallway asking Manning to check the appropriate "do you like me" box doesn't mean the two are an item.

It appears to me that on most occasions when addressing Peyton, Irsay always has said that if Peyton is healthy, he will be in a Colts uniform next year. He has stated this quite publicly. I would rather move forward with that than with the speculation that surrounds this situation.

Look, just because their contract negotiations involved Irsay slipping him a note in the hallway asking Manning to check the appropriate "do you like me" box doesn't mean the two are an item.

I don't know I heard from Eli that Cooper said that Peyton and Jim were holding hands while skipping down the hallway at the Colts complex.

I have been trying to give Irsay the benefit of the doubt, but everyday that passes, that's getting harder to do. I really don't see any way of Peyton Manning being a part of the plan...........you don't draft a QB #1 overall, to sit on the bench.......that makes no sense..........Peyton has 4 years left on his contract................do the math

He was asked in his presser if he's spoken to Peyton and he said that Peyton called him but he hadn't called back yet at that point.

He actually said he called Peyton and he left a message, then Peyton called him back and left a message, and he hadn't been able to call him back yet. Basically, they are both busy and playing phone tag. This is getting blown way out of proportion, imo.

Wowwww grison is avoiding Manning... I can understand the premis of the OP, cause I felt like irsay was trying to make Peyton mad so he would want out, sparing him from doing the deed..

Irrespective of the situation, if someone calls you, its coutesy to return the call back.

I find it extremely interesting that our new GM has the stage presence of an elementary school gym teacher(my apologies in advance to all ESGTs). Perhaps we all were spoiled by the smooth talking confidence of Bill Polian, but Ryan Grigson is as close to an embarrassment as I have ever heard. This whole deal smacks of Irsay's cheap date-save the money for the Prom King. My first hope and suggestion is that Jim will send Ryan back to sixth grade English class for a few lessons in the use of correct grammar and then remind him gently that he is speaking to adults, not fan-frenzy nitwits.

My vote is for Peyton Manning Owner, Peyton Manning, GM, and Peyton Manning, Player-Coach...Class act all the way!!! Too much to ask????

All of this twitter business and rumors amongsts beat writers and bloggers, aren't doing the colts much justice, now the owner can't control himself, where do these rumors stem from? Peyton likes being low key, I think it's reasonable to consider irsay is trying to make it all the easier to get Peyton out of Indy which is absolutely ridiculous..

Come on, Grigson called Peyton first, Peyton called him back, Grigson hadn't had a chance to call him back. They are busy men playing phone tag...this is a non issue!

I've never heard it reported that Grigson called Peyton first...

Grigson said Peyton called him and he hadn't gotten back to him. WIth that said that was Tuesday and they could have very well spoken since then and we don't know the details about when Peyton called. Maybe Peyton called while he was interviewing Spags. What was Grigson supposed to do say "oh sorry I gotta take this." Like I said in another thread when he calls Peyton back to it's probably not going to be a five minute talk and he probably wants to give Peyton the time he deserves.

It bothered me at first but the more I think about it I think it's over reacting to something we don't know the details of.

http://blogs.indysta...g-jim-caldwell/

Have you talked or met with Peyton?

“I’ve reached out to him, missed his call. We haven’t been able to hook up yet but we’ve tried."

Should anybody read into you have moved on with idea Peyton Manning won’t be here?

“No. It’s just I have not had a chance to even get with him yet. We’re taking this thing piece by piece in the way we feel is in the best interest of the franchise moving forward. And we have to take things piecemail, going 50 different directions like chickens with our heads cut off. We’ve got to be calculated and do this the right way.”

All of this twitter business and rumors amongsts beat writers and bloggers, aren't doing the colts much justice, now the owner can't control himself, where do these rumors stem from? Peyton likes being low key, I think it's reasonable to consider irsay is trying to make it all the easier to get Peyton out of Indy which is absolutely ridiculous..

I think the rumors stem from Peyton being low key and the fact that no one, not even Peyton, knows how healthy he will be in March. Irsay has shot down numerous rumors on twitter where he has concrete knowledge it is not the truth. In regards to PM, nobody knows what the truth is, so Irsay has said the only thing he can: the Colts will draft a QB and will have Peyton on the roster if he is healthy. This isn't a sexy story, so media and fans keep speculating all these scenarios which have more flair. Irsay has been a man of his word, and I would bet a paycheck that Luck and Manning will be on the roster next year if PM is healthy.

I think the rumors stem from Peyton being low key and the fact that no one, not even Peyton, knows how healthy he will be in March. Irsay has shot down numerous rumors on twitter where he has concrete knowledge it is not the truth. In regards to PM, nobody knows what the truth is, so Irsay has said the only thing he can: the Colts will draft a QB and will have Peyton on the roster if he is healthy. This isn't a sexy story, so media and fans keep speculating all these scenarios which have more flair. Irsay has been a man of his word, and I would bet a paycheck that Luck and Manning will be on the roster next year if PM is healthy.

I agree both will be in the roster... Although that's a big time mistake..

I know - it's more of a guilty pleasure (like paternity results on Maury Povich). I just got a kick out the analogy b/c I HATE it when guys break up like that.

P & E..

I watch it, too....They can be funny...

But they admit they have meetings before the show to make up debates...real and imagined...

...That's why they only discuss what team Peyton will be traded to...(even though he cant be traded)

they never discuss the possibility of Manning staying .

There's no two sides to the same old same old..

I've never heard it reported that Grigson called Peyton first...

Grigson said Peyton called him and he hadn't gotten back to him. WIth that said that was Tuesday and they could have very well spoken since then and we don't know the details about when Peyton called. Maybe Peyton called while he was interviewing Spags. What was Grigson supposed to do say "oh sorry I gotta take this." Like I said in another thread when he calls Peyton back to it's probably not going to be a five minute talk and he probably wants to give Peyton the time he deserves.

It bothered me at first but the more I think about it I think it's over reacting to something we don't know the details of.

Start listening at 18 minutes into the press conference: http://www.colts.com...88-8a047d75c164

Like I said, Grigson reached out to him, then missed his call. He said they haven't hooked up yet but have tried. From this, I gather Grigson reached out first, unless he is lying. The reason you haven't heard it reported is because it is a none story. It is a lot more sensational to say that Grigson didn't return PM's call, then it is to say they have been playing phone tag. Grigson has a bunch of stuff on his plate, to say he is busy is an understatement. I think deciding on the coaching staff is more important than stalk calling PM to have a five minute convo...

I agree both will be in the roster... Although that's a big time mistake..

Well, I used to think it was absolutely insane to have both on the roster. However, now I feel it is the best of four undesirable options: trade pick, keep PM (too risky with PM's health); cut PM, draft Luck; trade PM, draft Luck; or keep PM, draft Luck. The last three are all most likely and all have positives and negatives. One thing is that in 2013 the cap is expected to substantially increase with the new TV deals, so maybe the money wrapped up in the QB position won't be as big of a deal. Plus, Brees is about to get paid...he's going to be making around $20 mill a year, and Rodgers will be paid soon too, meaning these teams are going to have a ton wrapped up in just their starting QBs.

I find it extremely interesting that our new GM has the stage presence of an elementary school gym teacher(my apologies in advance to all ESGTs). Perhaps we all were spoiled by the smooth talking confidence of Bill Polian, but Ryan Grigson is as close to an embarrassment as I have ever heard. This whole deal smacks of Irsay's cheap date-save the money for the Prom King. My first hope and suggestion is that Jim will send Ryan back to sixth grade English class for a few lessons in the use of correct grammar and then remind him gently that he is speaking to adults, not fan-frenzy nitwits.

My vote is for Peyton Manning Owner, Peyton Manning, GM, and Peyton Manning, Player-Coach...Class act all the way!!! Too much to ask????

All I can say is good first post. :sarcasm:

Well, I used to think it was absolutely insane to have both on the roster. However, now I feel it is the best of four undesirable options: trade pick, keep PM (too risky with PM's health); cut PM, draft Luck; trade PM, draft Luck; or keep PM, draft Luck. The last three are all most likely and all have positives and negatives. One thing is that in 2013 the cap is expected to substantially increase with the new TV deals, so maybe the money wrapped up in the QB position won't be as big of a deal. Plus, Brees is about to get paid...he's going to be making around $20 mill a year, and Rodgers will be paid soon too, meaning these teams are going to have a ton wrapped up in just their starting QBs.

Everyone says you can't have a number 1 pick ride the pine his 1st and/or 2nd year. However, if it is ever to happen, why not now to Peyton Manning who will be considered one of the greatest of all time one day. Our little story here in Indy is absolutely one for the record books. Small market, Super Bowl, this close to a perfect season and the GM shuts it down, Manning Bowls, brother wins Super Bowl, who is greater Peyton or Eli, Peyton gets 3 neck surgeries, twitter wars, Rob Lowe, ....and Andrew Luck and Peyton on the same team (and that's only something big if Luck ends up being great). It's a Hallmark movie that Rob Lowe can star as himself in.

Ah, people are always going to have critical opinions. Back Seat driving is WAY EASIER!

Many people do not like the way Irsay tweets. To each his own.

He's a tweeter and that's just the way it is.

I absolutely do not believe he would take a cowards way out. He never has so there is not basis to this imo.

When it's time for tough decisions, and the decisions fall to him.......he makes them.

Good grief, people sure have spun what was said about telephone tag at the press conference ........it's like they are actually PLAYING Telephone.

Ruksaks right, this is going to be a funny off season.

Colts can't trade manning. It's either one of four scenarios...

Trade the pick keep manning.

Take luck, cut manning.

Select luck, keep manning.

Draft another player keep manning.

Obviously 4 is foolish, I think 3 is the next worse, then if Peyton is healthy I think you choose 1, if unhealthy 2.