Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Bradford Demanding a trade from the Eagles

BullsColtsFan1

What is he going to do? Sit down and not collect his pay? He is overpaid as is, and chances are, finishes the season on the bench. Instead of counting his lucky stars that he was the last to get that mammoth rookie contract and reaped the rewards of an inflated QB market at the end of it, he is just sitting and whining.

Let him whine.

Meh.  He's a scrub.  He's had every chance to start and either keeps getting hurt or keeps playing below expectations.  Not only that, but he's gotten 2 ridiculously overpaying contracts during his time in the league.  Don't like how your team is looking to replace you?  Prove them wrong by outplaying everyone. 

1 hour ago, chad hugo said:

Why not stay and SHOW that your the best QB for your team? He'll be competing with an unproven rookie... this makes him look weak.

I disagree. . . .

If a team spends a first round pick on a QB, there is going to be pressure from the fans and from the ownership to get that first round pick on the field THIS SEASON.  Waiting isn't in the dictionary in today's NFL.

And Bradford is not so old that Wentz can be looked at as a replacement for when he retires.  So it may not matter how much better Bradford is, he will likely still be replaced.  With the contract that they signed him to, Bradford had good reason to believe that the Eagles where making him the guy for the next year.  

I'm not saying that Bradford is a great QB or anything.  But given the contract he was given, it's easy for him to feel as though he'd been lied to about his position with the team.  

Remember he could have easily gone and signed with the Broncos or some other team.  He stayed with the Eagles, with the understanding (based on the size of the contract.) that he was the starter there.  And it's not as simple as just beating the rookie out.  As Colts fans we should know all too well the pressure that is often on the coaching staff to try to vindicate a bad GM move.  (Think Trent Richardson). . . At some point the Eagles coaching staff with be pressured to play Wentz over Bradford and it simply will not matter who the better player really is.  

4 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I would be * too after what the Eagles pulled. 

Really?  Why?  I don't think Bradford is in any position to be upset.  What has he done to inspire any confidence?  He's upset because he knows he isn't that good, and a rookie could very well supplant him

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You mean giving him a 2 year deal worth 35 million to be mediocre?   

I'm out of likes, but yes, my thoughts exactly ($22 million guaranteed)...and I get to sit the bench and watch a rookie struggle...in front of some of the worst fans in the world...yeah, I would gladly ride out my second oversized contract

38 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Really?  Why?  I don't think Bradford is in any position to be upset.  What has he done to inspire any confidence?  He's upset because he knows he isn't that good, and a rookie could very well supplant him

Bradford is upset that he was essentially lied to about his position with the team, not that he is going to be supplanted.

That deal says that Bradford was their guy for the near future.  And now he's going to have a rookie picked #2 overall breathing down his neck and his coaching staff is going to be under a great deal of pressure to play said rookie.

Bradford could have signed with another team had he knew that the Eagles where not likely to give him a legit shot at starting.

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Bradford is upset that he was essentially lied to about his position with the team, not that he is going to be supplanted.

That deal says that Bradford was their guy for the near future.  And now he's going to have a rookie picked #2 overall breathing down his neck and his coaching staff is going to be under a great deal of pressure to play said rookie.

Bradford could have signed with another team had he knew that the Eagles where not likely to give him a legit shot at starting.

If Bradford is as good as he perhaps wants to believe, he shouldn't have to worry about a #2 overall pick breathing down his neck.  Maybe if his play was good, the team would have had more reason to believe in him

39 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If Bradford is as good as he perhaps wants to believe, he shouldn't have to worry about a #2 overall pick breathing down his neck.  Maybe if his play was good, the team would have had more reason to believe in him

It's not about how good Bradford is, it's about the fact that he signed a contract with the understanding that he was their guy for the short term.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's not about how good Bradford is, it's about the fact that he signed a contract with the understanding that he was their guy for the short term.  

It's a business.  You want to play and be the guy, then perform and earn it.  The team had the opportunity to get a guy who they feel gives them a better chance to win, so they're going to take it.  Perhaps when the team gave him that contract, they were more comfortable with him as the short-term guy.  As time went on and Cleveland seemed more eager to trade out of the #2 spot, it became a more realistic option for them to move up.  It's possible the Eagles didn't lie and had the intention of giving Bradford the starting spot next year, but the opportunity for them to get their guy came up and they took up.

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

They gave him 22 million guaranteed.   He is THE guy in the short term

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You mean giving him a 2 year deal worth 35 million to be mediocre?   

Bringing in Chase freakin Daniel and then moving up to the number two spot to presumably draft a QB. 

2 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Bringing in Chase freakin Daniel and then moving up to the number two spot to presumably draft a QB. 

He has 22 million in guaranteed money.  Nothing to mad about.    Just play better than the other 2 and you keep the starting job

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I wouldn't presume to know what Bradford thinks of himself. He was given a hefty contract and led to believe he would be the starter. Then his new coach brings in his old QB pet project and is looking to draft another QB to the roster rather than keeping important picks to build around Bradford and his team. He has been often hurt and has underperformed, yes, but he could have been given the chance to sign with another team. Now he's stuck in an awkward position with a coach who apparently doesn't believe in him.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He has 22 million in guaranteed money.  Nothing to mad about.    Just play better than the other 2 and you keep the starting job

Yes, I'm sure the money alleviates some of the pain. But we all know how first round QBs are treated in this league. Especially QBs that you move up in the draft in dramatic blockbusters to get. Bradford is two interceptions away from getting booed to the bench for Wentz to step in. 

15 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yes, I'm sure the money alleviates some of the pain. But we all know how first round QBs are treated in this league. Especially QBs that you move up in the draft in dramatic blockbusters to get. Bradford is two interceptions away from getting booed to the bench for Wentz to step in. 

Again, much like Osweiler, paying that much guaranteed money does get you a longer leash in the NFL. It is not as easy as "2 or even 10 INTs in the first 8 games" to cause benching. Eagles are vested in him, it is up to him to believe it or suck it up and play. 

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Again, much like Osweiler, paying that much guaranteed money does get you a longer leash in the NFL. It is not as easy as "2 or even 10 INTs in the first 8 games" to cause benching. Eagles are vested in him, it is up to him to believe it or suck it up and play. 

If they are invested, they shouldn't pick a QB at number two. Sends the wrong kind of message. If they pick Elliott or Ramsey or something that changes things. I guess we'll see. 

20 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

If they are invested, they shouldn't pick a QB at number two. Sends the wrong kind of message. If they pick Elliott or Ramsey or something that changes things. I guess we'll see. 

Messages and principles - those things are the cruel kinds in this "not for long" business. Sam has 2 ways to respond to it - he can pout and whine about the principles/messages involved (or) prove them that they are wrong by lighting it up and take the Eagles far.

If he does the latter, he would do nothing but cash in later, like Brees did with Rivers drafted at #4. Granted, Brees' injury made it easy to part with him but Brees gave it all till he left San Diego even though he wasn't paid close to top QB money then. I would expect no less from Bradford who has $22 mil. more reasons to give it all.

Man, some of these QBs want to have the cake and eat it too.

1 hour ago, QwizBoy said:

You do realize that he is a grown butt man surrounded by a team (agent, etc.) of people looking out for his best interests, right?  He was not forced to sign anything, and if the $22 million guaranteed can't "alleviate some of the pain", then he can go eat rocks!!  He's fortunate to be in the situation he is in, and as long as he has been in the league I would assume he is well aware of the business aspect of these kinds of things...and as Jvan pointed out, if he plays well (which for top tier QB money he should), he won't be on the bench...however, if he chooses to play the same as he has throughout his career to this point (just shy of awful) he will be getting paid to listen to the Philly faithful boo him....either way, the guy will be getting $22 million.

56 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Messages and principles - those things are the cruel kinds in this "not for long" business. Sam has 2 ways to respond to it - he can pout and whine about the principles/messages involved (or) prove them that they are wrong by lighting it up and take the Eagles far.

If he does the latter, he would do nothing but cash in later, like Brees did with Rivers drafted at #4. Granted, Brees' injury made it easy to part with him but Brees gave it all till he left San Diego even though he wasn't paid close to top QB money then. I would expect no less from Bradford who has $22 mil. more reasons to give it all.

Man, some of these QBs want to have the cake and eat it too.

Yeah some of these QBs aren't in it for just the money. I see where you're coming from, and I agree that he should man up, but I do understand why he would want out. 

32 minutes ago, Traines said:

You do realize that he is a grown butt man surrounded by a team (agent, etc.) of people looking out for his best interests, right?  He was not forced to sign anything, and if the $22 million guaranteed can't "alleviate some of the pain", then he can go eat rocks!!  He's fortunate to be in the situation he is in, and as long as he has been in the league I would assume he is well aware of the business aspect of these kinds of things...and as Jvan pointed out, if he plays well (which for top tier QB money he should), he won't be on the bench...however, if he chooses to play the same as he has throughout his career to this point (just shy of awful) he will be getting paid to listen to the Philly faithful boo him....either way, the guy will be getting $22 million.

I get all that. But if philly wanted another QB they should've just let the guy sign with a team who wanted his services rather than leading him on. Yes, competition is good, but he is getting paid starter money and he was led to believe he would be the starter. 

As has been mentioned, this guy has absolutely cashed in while in the nfl and has been an absolute bust in terms of that #1 pick status.

He really has no legs on this one. He's lucky his career hasn't been relegated to permanent back-up status around the league.

5 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

I would be * too after what the Eagles pulled. 

Not only did they take a qb to replace him after negotiating in good will before most players signed in free agency but they basically traded the whole team around him to move up and take his replacement. They got rid of Murray and maxwell and a bunch of other guys for draft picks then spent all those and more to replace the guy. He is going to play with a gutted team and then cut after the season when he thought he was going to have a chance to start and rebuild his value and career. Now I know it's a business and sometimes  things backfire...he certainly has benefited plenty from this league but there is no reason he can't ask for a trade seeing I don't think the Eagles have been truthful with him but that doesn't mean he will get traded. The fact he got guaranteed money and the Eagles have already paid it means they take the cap hit and would have to give him away. I don't see that happening. I think any other team would only assume like 1.7 million roster hold so it would be extremely painful for the Eagles to pay basically him and then trade him away for free. Maybe if a team that was cap strapped like the jets or buffalo was able to send a player in return that they have already paid would be what they could do and I doubt anybody is interested in that.

I was wrong he still has about 7 million owed this year by a team if they traded and 4 next...so somebody would have to invest something back in him but the Eagles have already paid most of his salary. If the Eagles wanted some draft picks back they may be able to trade him for a second to the Jets or maybe SF if Chip wants him back.

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I mean, I'd be mad.  But I'd also play my role.  If I'm him and I've had plenty of time to prove myself as a starter and haven't, that's my fault.  I'm still thankful I'm getting paid 30 whatever million to play a game.

It's honestly mind boggling, he's sadly one of the better paid QB's.

Only thing I can think of is that he's truly delusional and thinks he's a franchise guy. He's probably got an ego being a former number 1, but he needs to recognize he's not a top tier player, but is still paid like one.

Bradford hasn't lived up to his #1 pick status but he has done enough for the Eagles to give him 22 million guaranteed over 2 years.

I'd want out too if I was him. The Eagles had to give up a lot to move up to #2 and they are going to be drafting a QB there. None of that helps them add players to make the Eagles better this year. Why would any decent QB want to play there knowing they are just a temporary solution?

I don't totally understand why the Eagles wouldn't be open to moving Bradford. You signed Chase Daniels who your new HC must really like and you make the deal to move up to #2 to draft a young QB who you obviously are very confident in being your QB of the future. Why not trade Bradford to gain more picks and maybe save some money? He isn't going to lead them to a Superbowl in the next 2 years. I would think they would want to put all the resources they can into building the team around the QB they are drafting with the #2 pick.

On 4/25/2016 at 4:23 PM, jvan1973 said:

It's not going to be that simple after the trade the Eagles' made to move up to the #2 spot.