Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DefJamz FINAL 2016 Colts Mock

I know what you're thinking. "You'll do another mock", just wait on it. But I'm certain, this is it.

1. Reggie Ragland, ILB Alabama- This is a pick that a lot of fans don't want us to make but makes a ton of sense. They've shown a lot of interest in him, and for good reason. He's not the rangy coverage LB that everyone wants but he's a plug and play downhill thumper who can be your leader and signal caller for the next 10+ years, which is highly valuable.He's a better LB than Lee or Jones.

2. Darian Thompson, FS Boise State- FS may not be a need to some here and this pick is BPA. However, Adams is no spring chicken and the Colts could use a versatile FS. In comes Thompson. A magnet for the ball who can come down and play the run as well as play single high. He also has tremendous size and speed at 6'2" and a 4.55 (pro day) 40 that would perfectly complement Geathers. Indy needs a guy like him

3. Jordan Jenkins, OLB Georgia- Grigson and Pagano were right when they said this wasn't a great class for pass rushers. Later on though, there are high upside guys like Jenkins who would be great value here. Some people will say he's just a SAM but he's a very good one with added pass rush ability. I went back and re-watched his tape and he's a better rusher than some give him credit for. Sets a strong edge and is a high character guy with tremendous football IQ. More day 1 ready than Floyd IMO.

4. Evan Boehm, OC Missouri- If you look at the prospects the Colts have shown interest in, I think they are getting a center one way or another. Grigs sees value in Centers in the later rounds and this is the perfect spot for Boehm. Boehm is a complete center and the opposite of Holmes. He's strong, durable (never missed a game as a 4 year starter), a leader, and a better athlete. He gets to the second level really well and stonewalls bull rushes. He's a starting center IMO. Scouts say he's tough as nails.

5. Daniel Lasco, RB Cal.- BPA again. The Colts could use some juice in the back field as they try not to run Gore into the ground. Mostly a change of pace back. The Colts could pair him up with a 2017 back if he's not a bell cow guy like what the Bengals did with Bernand and Hill.

7. Joe Thuney, G/T N.C. State- A swing T/G project that could provide needed depth to our O-Line. He's a plus athlete who could fit in well with our new zone concepts. Needs to bulk his frame up a bit and get more physical though, hence the word "project".

UDFA's

-Dante Deayon, CB Boise State

-Joel Heath, DT Michigan State

-Stephen Weatherly, ILB Vanderbilt 

Also remember that mocks are based on who a person has available at each pick, so let me know if you have any questions about the picks because the guy you think I should have gone with instead might be gone in my scenario. Thanks and enjoy.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I know what you're thinking. "You'll do another mock", just wait on it. But I'm certain, this is it.

1. Reggie Ragland, ILB Alabama- This is a pick that a lot of fans don't want us to make but makes a ton of sense. They've shown a lot of interest in him, and for good reason. He's not the rangy coverage LB that everyone wants but he's a plug and play downhill thumper who can be your leader and signal caller for the next 10+ years, which is highly valuable.He's a better LB than Lee or Jones.

2. Darian Thompson, FS Boise State- FS may not be a need to some here and this pick is BPA. However, Adams is no spring chicken and the Colts could use a versatile FS. In comes Thompson. A magnet for the ball who can come down and play the run as well as play single high. He also has tremendous size and speed at 6'2" and a 4.55 (pro day) 40 that would perfectly complement Geathers. Indy needs a guy like him

3. Jordan Jenkins, OLB Georgia- Grigson and Pagano were right when they said this wasn't a great class for pass rushers. Later on though, there are high upside guys like Jenkins who would be great value here. Some people will say he's just a SAM but he's a very good one with added pass rush ability. I went back and re-watched his tape and he's a better rusher than some give him credit for. Sets a strong edge and is a high character guy with tremendous football IQ. More day 1 ready than Floyd IMO.

4. Evan Boehm, OC Missouri- If you look at the prospects the Colts have shown interest in, I think they are getting a center one way or another. Grigs sees value in Centers in the later rounds and this is the perfect spot for Boehm. Boehm is a complete center and the opposite of Holmes. He's strong, durable (never missed a game as a 4 year starter), a leader, and a better athlete. He gets to the second level really well and stonewalls bull rushes. He's a starting center IMO. Scouts say he's tough as nails.

5. Daniel Lasco, RB Cal.- BPA again. The Colts could use some juice in the back field as they try not to run Gore into the ground. Mostly a change of pace back. The Colts could pair him up with a 2017 back if he's not a bell cow guy like what the Bengals did with Bernand and Hill.

7. Joe Thuney, G/T N.C. State- A swing T/G project that could provide needed depth to our O-Line. He's a plus athlete who could fit in well with our new zone concepts. Needs to bulk his frame up a bit and get more physical though, hence the word "project".

UDFA's

Also remember that mocks are based on who a person has available at each pick, so let me know if you have any questions about the picks because the guy you think I should have gone with instead might be gone in my scenario. Thanks and enjoy.

We don't need anymore projects we need really good playmakers that can help now not later.

I just can't get on board with the Ragland pick. Ive tried. I just keep coming back to the argument that we could probably draft a similar prospect in the 3rd and get a prospect much better than Ragland in the 1st.

After that, there so much to like about the rest of it though. I like Correa better than Jenkins, but Thompson may not be there in the 3rd, so it's a fair compromise (i.e. Correa in the 2nd, Thompson in the 3rd is probably a less likely scenario than what you project). 

Admittedly, it's not my favorite mock, but I could live with it. We could do worse anyway...like draft Keanu Neal and Kenneth Dixon.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Is this your "I want this" mock, or "Grigson's gonna do this" mock?

What Grigson will do. I based a lot of this off of who the Colts seem to like as well as who was there. I think you have to look at how your GM drafts to do a mock. It wouldn't be realistic to put the guys I want in each round. Ragland isn't my first choice but I think he is the Colts'.Thompson seems to be another guy that we really like. IMO these will be the highest rated guys available on our board at each pick. Sometimes BPA may line up with need though.

5 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We don't need anymore projects we need really good playmakers that can help now not later.

I'm not sure how much you want from a 7th round pick. A project is the best case scenario for most 7th round picks. Most of them don't even make the roster. 

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd have probably went with Odhiambo in the 4th and a Center in the 5th. RB at 7th.

Fair enough. I considered a 7th round RB but I didn't know who would be there and thought Lasco might be BPA in round 5. Keith Marshall might be there as well.

And the center could be had in the 5th, but I see Boehm projected in the 4th in most mocks. 4th round  is also where Grigson got Holmes.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Fair enough. I considered a 7th round RB but I didn't know who would be there and thought Lasco might be BPA in round 5. Keith Marshall might be there as well.

And the center could be had in the 5th, but I see Boehm projected in the 4th in most mocks. 4th round  is also where Grigson got Holmes.

Holmes isn't good at all. If we take an offensive linemen in the 4th on back, that's just probably not going to work out again. haha. I think we need to grab one in the 1st or 2nd. I know there's defensive players there to grab but without a line, Luck gets hurt and Gore can't run the football.

11 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If you're expecting a 7th round pick to be an immediate playmaker, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. The guys that get pick that late in the draft are there for a reason, and usually that's because they just aren't as talented as the players taken earlier in the draft. 

53 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

I feel like Billings should be the pick here I prefer a very good player with the potential to become elite versus a player who is solid but very little upside

So you think Billings has little upside?  If that's the case, what makes you say that? :)

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

UDFA's

Could easily see this draft happening... doesn't mean I'm ecstatic about it but I'd say this is most likely going to be darn close to what will happen. 

It's gonna be another what could have been drafts for me :-) lol.

I can see this draft happening as well.  It depends on HOW well RR can stop the run.  If he's a dominant player doing so, then that is absolutely something the Colts have needed for a long time.  Remember, it wasnt' until we got Booger McFarland and brought back that linebacker (Morris I think) to stop the run game that we were able to win a Super Bowl.  

44 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

I feel like Billings should be the pick here I prefer a very good player with the potential to become elite versus a player who is solid but very little upside

Billings is my personal choice if I put who I wanted them to take. But there doesn't appear to be much interest there.

5 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Holmes isn't good at all. If we take an offensive linemen in the 4th on back, that's just probably not going to work out again. haha. I think we need to grab one in the 1st or 2nd. I know there's defensive players there to grab but without a line, Luck gets hurt and Gore can't run the football.

Great rationale :facepalm:

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

What Grigson will do. I based a lot of this off of who the Colts seem to like as well as who was there. I think you have to look at how your GM drafts to do a mock. It wouldn't be realistic to put the guys I want in each round. Ragland isn't my first choice but I think he is the Colts'.Thompson seems to be another guy that we really like. IMO these will be the highest rated guys available on our board at each pick. Sometimes BPA may line up with need though.

I'm not sure how much you want from a 7th round pick. A project is the best case scenario for most 7th round picks. Most of them don't even make the roster. 

Yeah, indeed they seem to like both Thompson(I do too) and Ragland(I don't think the value is there at 18 but won't be surprised if they do it)

49 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

No I think Billings has major upside versus like Taylor Decker who will b solid but will never be elite

ll nevrr

Yep,sorry about that...I initially misread your post.  Makes perfect sense now. :)

13 minutes ago, Traines said:

Great rationale :facepalm:

It's true for the Colts at least. Don't give me that hand over face emoticon. lol

2015: Denzelle Good ROUND 7 (Below Average Starter/Almost Unknown)

2014: John Ulrick ROUND 7 (Cut)

2013: Hugh Thornton ROUND 3 (Poor Starter)

2013: Khaled Holmes ROUND 4 (Poor Starter)

2011: Anthony Castonzo ROUND 1 (Above Average Starter)

2011: Ben Ijalana ROUND 2 (Cut)

I like our chances in Round 1 and 2 for quality O-Linemen. I should not be sorry that I feel that way.

7 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

It's true for the Colts at least. Don't give me that hand over face emoticon. lol

I like our chances in Round 1 and 2 for quality O-Linemen. I should not be sorry that I feel that way.

Centers are typically drafted low though. Our own Jeff Saturday was an UDFA. There's no guarantee a round 1 center will be better than a later round one.

Jus for comparison, the best receiver of the 2012 class was drafted in the 3rd round ;)

Centers are typically drafted low though. Our own Jeff Saturday was an UDFA. There's no guarantee a round 1 center will be better than a later round one.

Jus for comparison, the best receiver of the 2012 class was drafted in the 3rd round ;)

Any draft pick is not a guarantee if you want to be technical. I just like our chances with a round 1 or round 2 offensive linemen. Funny about the TY Hilton selection. Diamond in the rough from a smaller school. 

23 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Any draft pick is not a guarantee if you want to be technical. I just like our chances with a round 1 or round 2 offensive linemen. Funny about the TY Hilton selection. Diamond in the rough from a smaller school. 

I get what you're saying. Generally the rule of thumb is the higher the round the better the player. But Centers are a diff category. They are uncommon 1st round picks and even the 2nd round is considered early. 

LT is the one OL position that you almost have to draft early. Those franchise LTs are hard to fine and you have to take them round one. You won't find a Tyron Smith round 6.

Guards are like centers, but good guards can be had in the mid rounds. They are also a rarity in the 1st round.

RTs can be had almost anywhere. 

11 minutes ago, GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE said:

I love this draft... I would change lasco to Tyler Ervin or Josh Ferguson but that's about it....  I hope we grab Ragland(I doubt it)  but mark my word wherever he goes he will dominate. .. 

I love Ervin, but his name is starting to get mention in the 2nd and 3rd rounds now instead of the lower rounds.  I can see why though, that kid is special.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I love Ervin, but his name is starting to get mention in the 2nd and 3rd rounds now instead of the lower rounds.  I can see why though, that kid is special.

Yeah I thought about him too. They've shown interest in him. I just don't know where he's projected to go.

Yeah I thought about him too. They've shown interest in him. I just don't know where he's projected to go.

Who?  The Colts have shown interest?  I haven't seen that, but I'm excited to know!  I didn't know we did.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

All signs point to Ragland. I hope that's not what happens, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I listened to Ryan's pre draft pressed and they asked him about last year's class. He said that aside from maybe Dorsett, none of the guys had sexy film where something about them just jumps out at you. But, that they were all lunch pail guys who love the game and play at a consistent level.

That made me even more assured that they would snatch Ragland up in a heartbeat. He's the exact type of player they're looking for.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I listened to Ryan's pre draft pressed and they asked him about last year's class. He said that aside from maybe Dorsett, none of the guys had sexy film where something about them just jumps out at you. But, that they were all lunch pail guys who love the game and play at a consistent level.

That made me even more assured that they would snatch Ragland up in a heartbeat. He's the exact type of player they're looking for.

I just listened. Later on, Grigson talked about the linebackers. He mentioned guys who can defend the run but can't cover, who have to come off the field on third down, and he said that's not your ideal guy. To me, that's Ragland. Maybe they think he can cover if necessary.

I'm not a fan of Ragland, as everyone knows. 

16 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

A few things of note....

-- Ulrick John was not cut.    He was claimed off our practice squad by Miami.     

-- Denzelle Good, while being a below average starter,  was a rookie last year.   A late 7th round draft pick.   There's no reason to believe he won't get better.    The Colts seem to think a lot better.    So, whatever you think of him TODAY,   doesn't mean he's going to be that for the rest of his career.     He's got tremendous upside in his future,   even if he never starts again.     He's going to get better.

-- Thornton and Holmes were not over-drafted.    They were drafted where they should have.    They have not panned out as expected.     It's not clear if it's due to injuries,   or ability,  or coaching.     One of our OL coaches was fired.     We brought in a very respected guy (Philbin)....    I'd like to see what our players can do with a more Zone Blocking friendly system and a much better OL coach.

-- For whatever it's worth,  Castonzo and Ijalana were drafted by Polian and not Grigson.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

A few things of note....

-- Ulrick John was not cut.    He was claimed off our practice squad by Miami.     

-- Denzelle Good, while being a below average starter,  was a rookie last year.   A late 7th round draft pick.   There's no reason to believe he won't get better.    The Colts seem to think a lot better.    So, whatever you think of him TODAY,   doesn't mean he's going to be that for the rest of his career.     He's got tremendous upside in his future,   even if he never starts again.     He's going to get better.

-- Thornton and Holmes were not over-drafted.    They were drafted where they should have.    They have not panned out as expected.     It's not clear if it's due to injuries,   or ability,  or coaching.     One of our OL coaches was fired.     We brought in a very respected guy (Philbin)....    I'd like to see what our players can do with a more Zone Blocking friendly system and a much better OL coach.

-- For whatever it's worth,  Castonzo and Ijalana were drafted by Polian and not Grigson.

I didn't say Thornton and Holmes were over-drafted. They were indeed drafted where they should have been. THAT'S what I'm trying to say. How about we stop screwing around in the later rounds when it comes to protecting Andrew Luck.

24 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I didn't say Thornton and Holmes were over-drafted. They were indeed drafted where they should have been. THAT'S what I'm trying to say. How about we stop screwing around in the later rounds when it comes to protecting Andrew Luck.

You can't really equate their lack of performance with where they were drafted. We just saw a 1st round guard get traded to the Patriots. Eric Fisher and Luke Joekel went 1 and 2 in the draft and are both struggling.

Its not always about draft position. Guys from any round can bust or break out. Again, Jeff Saturday was an UDFA.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You can't really equate their lack of performance with where they were drafted. We just saw a 1st round guard get traded to the Patriots. Eric Fisher and Luke Joekel went 1 and 2 in the draft and are both struggling.

Its not always about draft position. Guys from any round can bust or break out. Again, Jeff Saturday was an UDFA.

But the chances of finding better starting talent is usually in the earlier rounds. Starting caliber guys. We will never find another Jeff Saturday, undrafted. If we want to keep Andrew Luck on the sidelines, by all means lets keep drafting poor O-Linemen in the later rounds.

5 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

We're "screwing around" in the later rounds because we also have the rest of the team to take care of.

And I think it's obvious that we'll address the o-line this draft,  day one, or day two.

The 7th round fliers are just that,  fliers.     Those don't hurt anyone and maybe Good turns into something.

But you can't keep turning around and using 2's, 3's and 4's every year or two on one spot.    You have to give the guys you drafted a chance to succeed or fail.      The Colts have now given Thornton and Holmes their chance.       They haven't done well enough,  and now we're going to draft a replacement for one of them,  or both of them.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We're "screwing around" in the later rounds because we also have the rest of the team to take care of.

And I think it's obvious that we'll address the o-line this draft,  day one, or day two.

The 7th round fliers are just that,  fliers.     Those don't hurt anyone and maybe Good turns into something.

But you can't keep turning around and using 2's, 3's and 4's every year or two on one spot.    You have to give the guys you drafted a chance to succeed or fail.      The Colts have now given Thornton and Holmes their chance.       They haven't done well enough,  and now we're going to draft a replacement for one of them,  or both of them.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The chances were there, it's time to move on. We almost don't have much of a choice but to target someone on Day 1 or Day 2 to protect Andrew. Someone that is a quality day 1 starter that won't take long to develop and get in the groove. Getting someone to start like Castonzo or Mewhort would do wonders to our line. I'm not saying to blow a 1st rounder, but maybe with our 2nd, have a linemen in mind to get.