Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Von Miller wants $22 mil a year?

oldunclemark

30 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He's signed for 2016.....but he wants a longterm deal (according to newspaper reports) at $22 mil a year.

John Elway is offering $18 mil a year..

Is there any defensive player worth $22 mil a year?

No, although he was a 1 man wrecking crew against the Pats and Panthers. Will Andrew even get 22 a year? Turmoil in Broncos land. They wont Repeat with Peyton retired but at least they can enjoy being the Champs for 1 year. That is always a great feeling. Glad we had that in 2007 defending our Championship. Winning SB's are very tough and I feel bad for the diehard fans of teams that have never been ever to enjoy that feeling. After the Colts won it all, I celebrated for a week. I was on vacation so I could. Awesome stuff!

Mr. Miller, did all that "Dancing With The Stars" hoopla go to your head? There's no way even a premier pass rusher like you is gonna get Elway to agree to that. 

I know; I know it's a talent agent trick to say an outlandish number, get denied, & meet somewhere in the middle. 

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Until and unless Denver solidifies the QB position, they cant even do the $18 mil deal, really.

Bingo OUC & Sanchize will never be the Broncos fearless general for 2016 either. 

Is Kaep still in play from San Fran or what's #7's next move? He's gotta get a bonafide starter into camp eventually...

11 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Only a hand full of qbs are worthy ofv that money.    No one will pay him that

The problem is the Giants gave Vernon Oliver 17 mill per year. He's not even in the same stratosphere as Von Miller. So I think Miller feels his value is closer to that 22 figure than the 18 mill Denver is offering . 

Do I think he's worth 22 mill a year ? No ....but that Oliver contract set a whole new bar and there's no doubt a problem here.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

The problem is the Giants gave Vernon Oliver 17 mill per year. He's not even in the same stratosphere as Von Miller. So I think Miller feels his value is closer to that 22 figure than the 18 mill Denver is offering . 

Do I think he's worth 22 mill a year no but that Oliver contract set a whole new bar and there's no doubt a problem here.

Well he can hold out and make nothing

He'll get somewhere close.  Most people over and over and over again are looking at the # and not the % of cap it accounts for.  Based on a cap next year of 165mm, 12.5% of the cap is 20.6mm, which is comparable to a 15mm/year salary 5 year ago.

I figured he would push the 20 million mark and a lot of guaranteed money but $22 seems steep. Seeing as 18 is what Elway wants I think they land somewhere in the middle. John can't afford to over pay another guy...he already overpaid DT so unless he gets him to restructure I don't know how they add Kaep and get this deal done.

11 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Well he can hold out and make nothing

Or he can play for 4 mill less (14 million) than Denver is offering (18mill)and then let the 31 other teams bid for his services in 2017. As long as he didn't suffer a bad injury , he would get his monster deal. 

15 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Or he can play for 4 mill less (14 million) than Denver is offering (18mill)and then let the 31 other teams bid for his services in 2017. As long as he didn't suffer a bad injury , he would get his monster deal. 

He will get a monster deal no question.   But teams that give 100 plus million to anyone other than a QB are  always disappointed

23 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm firmly of the opinion that if you tie up that much money into anyone other than your QB, you're making a mistake

It's hard to say, but he did win Superbowl MVP and put on a clinic against Tom Brady, so I'm almost tempted to go against the grain and say he deserves the contract. He does so much for that defense, that it makes everyone around him better. It's hard to replace good pass rushers. He's also in his prime at age 27.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:54 PM, oldunclemark said:

He's signed for 2016.....but he wants a longterm deal (according to newspaper reports) at $22 mil a year.

John Elway is offering $18 mil a year..

Is there any defensive player worth $22 mil a year?

Let me quote this nobody not on offense, defense, or special teams is worth that much.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

It's hard to say, but he did win Superbowl MVP and put on a clinic against Tom Brady, so I'm almost tempted to go against the grain and say he deserves the contract. He does so much for that defense, that it makes everyone around him better. It's hard to replace good pass rushers. He's also in his prime at age 27.

True, but an elite defense, whereby you can consistently win without a solid quarterback, is hard to build and maintain. It's much easier to win by investing more money into your quarterback. To invest that much money into a defensive player would make things very difficult. 

Come on guys there's no need to still sugarcoat this stuff "they wont repeat with Peyton retired", "until they solidify the QB position" etc as if they were going to repeat and they were solid last year.

I'd make the exception and do it this time because that defense is going to have a hard enough time staying motivated with the quarterbacks they have now. They're about as good as Peyton minus the legacy to keep a defense playing for them. They might as well pay them.

On 4/19/2016 at 3:09 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I'm firmly of the opinion that if you tie up that much money into anyone other than your QB, you're making a mistake

How many games have the Texans won with JJ Watt carrying them on his back? Monster season... 4 wins. As much as we can talk about BPA and talent outweighs everything, QBs are an exception and that's why they get the mega money even for middling talent. 

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

How many games have the Texans won with JJ Watt carrying them on his back? Monster season... 4 wins. As much as we can talk about BPA and talent outweighs everything, QBs are an exception and that's why they get the mega money even for middling talent. 

Agree 100%.  And it's not because those elite defensive players aren't as good as the QBs.  It's just the nature of the game.  QBs touch the ball more than any player.  They have to make the most important decisions.  As an offense, you can do your best to avoid a defensive player (eg. throw to the other side, run away from him, etc.), but as a defense, there's nothing you can do to prevent the QB from touching the ball.  It's just the nature of the game.

18 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Come on guys there's no need to still sugarcoat this stuff "they wont repeat with Peyton retired", "until they solidify the QB position" etc as if they were going to repeat and they were solid last year.

I'd make the exception and do it this time because that defense is going to have a hard enough time staying motivated with the quarterbacks they have now. They're about as good as Peyton minus the legacy to keep a defense playing for them. They might as well pay them.

Its not so much on the field.....Its financial.

If they bring in a cost controlled rookie for 5 years...and play Mark Sanchez this season...

it could work and they COULD pay Von Miller 20 mil for 3 or 4 ..Sanchez does have his moments and they have a better line and veteran WRs and RBs  ..maybe bring in Brian Hoyer to back him up

But if they sign Fitzpatrick or bring in Colin K. and redo his deal, they wont have the money for Von long term.

They've carrying Demariyuis Thomas at $15 mil a year ..just signed Seattle's LT at 14 mil..

There's no rush....Von Miller is under contact to Denver this coming year.

But the QB situation has to be decided long term

I'm not sure they wont play Von this year and then let him go

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Agree 100%.  And it's not because those elite defensive players aren't as good as the QBs.  It's just the nature of the game.  QBs touch the ball more than any player.  They have to make the most important decisions.  As an offense, you can do your best to avoid a defensive player (eg. throw to the other side, run away from him, etc.), but as a defense, there's nothing you can do to prevent the QB from touching the ball.  It's just the nature of the game.

Couldn't put it better myself, I mean it's always going to be subjective picking the best player, after all how do you measure it? But if it's being compared to you peers at the position than I think, certainly at that point, JJ Watt deserved to at least be in the conversation as the best player in the league. Does it mean he should get paid the most? Nope. 

Roster building is a skill that is almost separated at times from what happens on the field. A good GM knows he's going to have let good players walk out the door because it's not just about putting the best 22 out there. 

Two points about Miller and why I would never give that much to a defensive player, but we do need to realize the cap is moving up quick and so are salaries.

First, QB's make the most impact as said above, but the most important point I believe about QB's is they are

protected by the league now. Sure they can get hurt, and do, but defensive players are getting hit on every play in general. Paying 22M/yr. to a defensive player tin a league which wants offense, and protects offensive skill positions, is a tough direction to go.

Second, the Vernon, Jackson and other FA purchases will backfire. I don't know how badly, but many FA's with skills usually do not do nearly as well either because they were good because of the system and surrounding players, or to a much lesser extent, some have their money and motivation is not as great. I thought this year after the Suh disaster last year of 19M/yr. and what they got for it, teams would learn. I still believe they will, but this year their was so little in the way of quality FA supply, it affected salaries to a ridiculous point. I can at least argue Suh was worth the money. I can make an argument for Miller. In the end though, when FA signings go bad, it tends to dampen the market.