Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL source calls Myles Jack "a time bomb" whose knee could give him several good years, or not. Bone and cartilage starting to break away.

Let's not forget that this is the time of years when all sorts of rumors and smoke screens surface......

So,  it's quite possible that rumor is floated by a team who would like to have Jack fall to them.

They leak out a false rumor and see if it helps to upset things enough to make teams considering taking Jack a bit nervous.        NFL types like to say that at this time of year 90% of the rumors that leak out are false.

To be clear --- it might be true.    But odds are much higher that it's not.......

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let's not forget that this is the time of years when all sorts of rumors and smoke screens surface......

So,  it's quite possible that rumor is floated by a team who would like to have Jack fall to them.

They leak out a false rumor and see if it helps to upset things enough to make teams considering taking Jack a bit nervous.        NFL types like to say that at this time of year 90% of the rumors that leak out are false.

To be clear --- it might be true.    But odds are much higher that it's not.......

Seems like a waste of time if it was such an easy thing to disprove though. 

21 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Seems like a waste of time if it was such an easy thing to disprove though. 

Perhaps.....   but doctors often see the same thing differently.     Some teams will possibly take Jack off their board -- or at least from the 1st round -- and other teams will think he's just fine.

You'd think medicine would be more black and white -- either his knee is good or not -- but apparently not.   Teams will have different opinions on the kid....

Go figure.....?

No it's likely to be true.  Dr Chao mentioned late last week articular issues regarding cartilage etc. could be a problem down the road. He see the tweetabove from NFL source and his response is below-

For those who do not know, Dr. Chao is an orthopedic surgeon, former head team physician for the San Diego Chargers, and over has 17 years sideline experience.  These below were late last week-

52 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Maybe Belichek started this rumor, lol.

But I don't doubt his injury is real.

But it reminds me of a show I seen somewhere that said Shula started a rumor about Marino using drugs so he would fall to the Dolphins.

Doctors don't care about rumors... they care about what they see on an exam and images. All 32 teams had their Team Physician and Top Athletic Trainer on hand to evaluate all 35 or so players, separately and individually.  Teams will rely on their own medical counsel and interpreted results regarding the rechecks, and not medical rumors others start; or possibly even the input of Dr. Chao.  Response to a tweet mentioning Dr. Chao is wrecking Myles Jack's draft status -

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Doctors don't care about rumors... they care about what they see on an exam and images. All 32 teams had their Team Physician and Top Athletic Trainer on hand to evaluate all 35 or so players, separately and individually.  Teams will rely on their own medical counsel and interpreted results regarding the rechecks, and not medical rumors others start; or possibly even the inpit of Dr. Chao.  Response to a tweet mentioning Dr. Chao is wrecking Myles Jack's draft status -

Isn't releasing their findings to the media a HIPPA violation 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Isn't releasing their findings to the media a HIPPA violation 

Indeed. Dr, Chao can make observations and opinions based upon his NFL and surgical history, since he is not directly connected in patient care.  But leaks are another thing. And he can comment on them, too without violating HIPAA.

10 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Indeed. Dr, Chao can make observations and opinions based upon his NFL and surgical history, since he is not directly connected in patient care.  But leaks are another thing. And he can comment on them, too without violating HIPAA.

So he is just speculating based on previous experience 

It will be interesting to see if Jack or his agent make a statement.     If I were them,  I certainly would.

And the thing to look for now, is where Jack is picked.     He's a top-5 player,  and so if he drops out of the top-10,  then teams are buying the bad diagnosis.     And then it becomes interesting to see which team has the courage to draft him and take the risk?

Worth keeping a close eye on.....    and I might as well say it now....   makes you wonder how the Colts doctors see this?         Is he worth taking at 18?     Depends on just how bad his knee is?

I believe he is going to drop, just for the fact I am now seeing guys having to defend him. Last night on NFL.com Bucky Brooks took the extra time to say "still a top 5 talent", basically medical checks don't matter. Teams are cautious by nature, and very few are going to take a chance. One week and half does not help either for the medical doctors to come out of the woodwork and make their thoughts known. I would not draft him in the top 10, but I would at 18 if I knew he could give me 6-7 years like Vilma did.

Interesting piece on Over the Cap on when drafting in the top 10, you are not only looking for impact, but a long career, and how it comes into the draft equation.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

So he is just speculating based on previous experience 

Not really speculating at all. That implies opinion with no firm basis.  Over the years as Head Team Physician/Surgeon, he has seen many players suffer injuries, ran on to the field to assess them , and sometimes, not much later, had them on his operating room table for repair etc.  Then monitor the rehab progress for the coaches.  His direct contact, first person experience lends him a large tangible database for informed opinion; which is how I would address it.

His experience is so vast and good, he can diagnose from video clips with great success.  But he'll be the first to tell you, you get all the particular details when it is YOU that examines the players; but then your bound to keep it secret too. 

Once telltale signs are spotted  (IE: Chao noticed the AFO Jaylon Smith was wearing an AFO device and tweeted he must have peroneal nerve damage, as that AFO device was for drop foot. Then later at combine, med docs tested Smith and found nerve damage!)  or leaked, he will comment on those items as well

I spotted Chao a while back when he was a guest on an NFL radio show.  He diagnoses right away on his twitter account. . When reports come out, they are often not what he reported. Then some time later, the full truth comes put and proved him right.  Has happened incredibly frequently.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps.....   but doctors often see the same thing differently.     Some teams will possibly take Jack off their board -- or at least from the 1st round -- and other teams will think he's just fine.

You'd think medicine would be more black and white -- either his knee is good or not -- but apparently not.   Teams will have different opinions on the kid....

Go figure.....?

Some also might see the same thing {say hopefully 6 good years before player breaks down}.  Team Doc A thinks 6 years plus possibilities of more, 4 of them under rookie contract is good deal.  Team Doc B doesn't feel  6 years with a lot of spot starts missed is worth as high a pick and might recommend a slide on a draft board.

Docs know Jack will have issues down the road.  The unknown is when, earlier or later?  Will hits on the knee accelerate the problem?  Will he be slower of faster recovery than an average athlete, etc?  Docs can be pretty close on many things, but positively sure on very few.

I get that college football is a business but something's  gotta give. These guys are destroying their bodies before they even play a down in the NFL. It's ridiculous.

I see why Fournette might have flirted with the idea of sitting a season out.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I get that college football is a business but something's  gotta give. These guys are destroying their bodies before they even play a down in the NFL. It's ridiculous.

I see why Fournette might have flirted with the idea of sitting a season out.

Life is dangerous. .   The risk reward is pretty awesome

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not really speculating at all. That implies opinion with no firm basis.  Over the years as Head Team Physician/Surgeon, he has seen many players suffer injuries, ran on to the field to assess them , and sometimes, not much later, had them on his operating room table for repair etc.  Then monitor the rehab progress for the coaches.  His direct contact, first person experience lends him a large tangible database for informed opinion; which is how I would address it.

His experience is so vast and good, he can diagnose from video clips with great success.  But he'll be the first to tell you, you get all the particular details when it is YOU that examines the players; but then your bound to keep it secret too. 

Once telltale signs are spotted  (IE: Chao noticed the AFO Jaylon Smith was wearing an AFO device and tweeted he must have peroneal nerve damage, as that AFO device was for drop foot. Then later at combine, med docs tested Smith and found nerve damage!)  or leaked, he will comment on those items as well

I spotted Chao a while back when he was a guest on an NFL radio show.  He diagnoses right away on his twitter account. . When reports come out, they are often not what he reported. Then some time later, the full truth comes put and proved him right.  Has happened incredibly frequently.

We talked about this last week. Before I knew that Jack had the meniscus repaired, I felt like he was damaged goods. Meniscectomy will likely lead to future issues, including chondroplasty and eventually microfracture. Five good years is probably the top end, no matter how well the player takes care of himself. Knowing that Jack had the meniscus repaired kind of altered my thinking, but still, it's a vulnerable piece of the knee, and it can't be repaired to 'good as new' condition. He's probably still very much at risk.

I wouldn't compare him to Vilma. He had bone chips and microfracture, not a meniscus repair. 

10 hours ago, Superman said:

We talked about this last week. Before I knew that Jack had the meniscus repaired, I felt like he was damaged goods. Meniscectomy will likely lead to future issues, including chondroplasty and eventually microfracture. Five good years is probably the top end, no matter how well the player takes care of himself. Knowing that Jack had the meniscus repaired kind of altered my thinking, but still, it's a vulnerable piece of the knee, and it can't be repaired to 'good as new' condition. He's probably still very much at risk.

I wouldn't compare him to Vilma. He had bone chips and microfracture, not a meniscus repair. 

Agreed, neither I nor Dr. Chao compared him to Vilma, though I believe something like that was was sent out in a tweet by somebody. Cannot remember who. I believe the NFL source that leaked the medical info in the first place.

I was listening to a radio program last year and injury reports from the media that Monday reported one thing.  Then this guy {Dr. Chao} gets on the radio program snd tells his opinion based upon video.  It was detailed and painted a picture markedly different from immediate media reports.  Later proved his diagnosis to be spot on, and I have followed and monitored him since. He is in my collection of credible sources

42 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Agreed, neither I nor Dr. Chao compared him to Vilma, though I believe something like that was was sent out in a tweet by somebody. Cannot remember who. I believe the NFL source that leaked the medical info in the first place.

I was listening to a radio program last year and injury reports from the media that Monday reported one thing.  Then this guy {Dr. Chao} gets on the radio program snd tells his opinion based upon video.  It was detailed and painted a picture markedly different from immediate media reports.  Later proved his diagnosis to be spot on, and I have followed and monitored him since. He is in my collection of credible sources

Funny that you find him credible.   Hasn't he been sued Mulroney multiple times?  The players union had a part in having him "step down" from the chargers,   and chargers fans cheered his exit

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Funny that you find him credible.   Hasn't he been sued Mulroney multiple times?  The players union had a part in having him "step down" from the chargers,   and chargers fans cheered his exit

http://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I was waiting for that, and it is a fair inquiry.

TI am aware of his alcohol abuse, history and malpractice cases. the NFLPA lost their review to oust him in a 3 panel independent case review, and he is on probation in California ( but can still practice).  Chao comes off alike a player that knows the schemes, alignments, and playbook but lacks the athletic skill set on be top shelf.  He is school booksmart but apparently not physically as capable. He passed all exams and boards.  He is an MD. His knowledge isn't in question, it was his lifestyle and actual practice under scrutiny; and rightly so on that point.  But he is not intellectually incompetent,  and his experience with football players injuries and recovery and why his insight is still sought out by the NFL and other football media programs. OTOH, I might be wary of having him perform actual surgery on me, but I would listen to his assessment.

Now to digression, there are reports Luck hasn't healed from injuries that typically take around 2 months to recover from. I think that needs to be verified and, if true, looked in to.