Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Problems between Colts and Luck?

ThorstenDenmark

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

What you call "savage" I refer to as accurate & thorough on NCF's part. Very well written too. I might add. 

I just don't see a Midwestern bias actually & I live in WI myself. Sometimes, exaggeration & a sledge hammer are necessary to drive a point home in a humorous way for symbolic effect. 

As for Luck's contract, it will get resolved. I don't see this as any sort of agent vs owner impasse. These matters always get done sometime after the draft. Nothing to fret about folks. Move along; move along. 

I will say this ESPN is very East Coast bias. They are located in Bristol as well. Wilbon hates Indiana sports because he is a Chicago sports fan.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For some reason most of the analysts on ESPN and the NFL Network dislike the Colts, they always have even when we had Peyton. I remember on one Sunday morning countdown, Keyshawn Johnson slipped and actually said he hated Peyton Manning when we were winning all of those games in 2009. I am not sure if it's because we are a small market team, not a flashy team, or don't  play on the East Coast to why most don't like us. It could be we are Good to Great almost every season and are a pain in the behind to most of the teams they like?

There might be something to the big market vs small market media coverage wise I guess, but if INDY wins the SB under Pagano/Luck, I'm sure the Natl. sports media will flock INDY just as easily as they found Denver in February after they hoisted the Lombardi trophy above their head as a team. 

Small or big...Win the SB & you tend to get noticed. 

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will say this ESPN is very East Coast bias. They are located in Bristol as well. Wilbon hates Indiana sports because he is a Chicago sports fan.

I won't deny that ESPN plays NFL favorites my friend & that's okay to me because regular contributors to this forum know who the diehard supporters of INDY truly are. 

I will agree with you CBE that I despise commentators who pretend like they are impartial & deny their personal preferences when it comes to which team or teams they root for. I like analysts who acknowledge what they weaknesses are & that they can't be objective when breaking down specific franchises. It make me respect them more when they admit their flaws actually. JMO. 

If Wilborn is a Bears fan, shouldn't he have a stronger disdain for GB & Aaron Rogers than Luck & Indiana though? Just saying...It's not our problem that Jay Cutler sucks & has zero leadership skills. LOL! 

18 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Hello fellow colts fans.

I can´t really figure out if it´s just the media and different journalists who´s trying to create a conflict between Indianapolis Colts and Andrew Luck, or if there really is a conflict already between them.

I follow various sites and read whatever I can find about Indianapolis Colts, free agency and NFL on a weekly basis, though I live i Denmark, so when i read the different newspapers or articles about Luck and the Colts, and the tone in the articles are quite negative, I can´t stop wondering if there really is a conflict between them.

So I hope some of you fellow fans can enlighten me and maybe help me describe whats really going on, cause it sure seem like there are something going on that I dont like.

Hope its just me, and there is no problem between them, cause Luck need to stay a colt for life.

Thorsten

Denmark   

Can you first describe what you have heard? 

18 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I won't deny that ESPN plays NFL favorites my friend & that's okay to me because regular contributors to this forum know who the diehard supporters of INDY truly are. 

I will agree with you CBE that I despise commentators who pretend like they are impartial & deny their personal preferences when it comes to which team or teams they root for. I like analysts who acknowledge what they weaknesses are & that they can't be objective when breaking down specific franchises. It make me respect them more when they admit their flaws actually. JMO. 

If Wilborn is a Bears fan, shouldn't he have a stronger disdain for GB & Aaron Rogers than Luck & Indiana though? Just saying...It's not our problem that Jay Cutler sucks & has zero leadership skills. LOL! 

You would think he would regarding GB but I have never heard him say anything good about Indiana. We did beat them in the SB and the Bulls/Pacers have always been a huge rivalry dating back to MIchael/Reggie. Wilbon is a gigantic Bulls fan.

4 hours ago, CF4L said:

Sure pay Andrew Luck all that $$$ (which shows what a hypocrite Jimbo is considering one of the reasons he let Manning go was because he wanted to spread the wealth) you need a team right? 

The cheap years of Andrew Luck are over you act as if $$$ is the only motivating factor a large one but hey if he wants to win a title if I were him would you trust Grigson/Pagano to do anything? Because I don't and I say this as someone that follows this team.

Money is not one of the reasons that Manning was let go. You call Jim hypocritical but yet Jim cut Manning checks that equaled more than any player in history at the time. You seem to overlook that the NFL is a business and Jim invested in his business at a record rate.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Money is not one of the reasons that Manning was let go. You call Jim hypocritical but yet Jim cut Manning checks that equaled more than any player in history at the time. You seem to overlook that the NFL is a business and Jim invested in his business at a record rate.

I know, here we go again haha 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You would think he would regarding GB but I have never heard him say anything good about Indiana. We did beat them in the SB and the Bulls/Pacers have always been a huge rivalry dating back to MIchael/Reggie. Wilbon is a gigantic Bulls fan.

Some guys are only happy when they are complaining about a rival kicking their beloved team's caboose. I have a few relatives like that. They take venting to an overzealous art form for lack of a better word. 

Yeah, I suppose the Bulls have gone thru a prolonged drought of NBA greatness since MJ. Professional basketball is my oldest nephew's passion as a ref, but I always liked Reggie Miller & watched him when I stumbled on a Pacers game even though I readily admit I'm no NBA guru at all. 

Wilbon sounds like a real piece of work. Wink; wink. Maybe he should be more concerned about his precious Bears winning the NFC North vs spewing negativity Luck's way. Uh huh. Some people just aren't warm & fuzzy are they? LOL! 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Some guys are only happy when they are complaining about a rival kicking their beloved team's caboose. I have a few relatives like that. They take venting to an overzealous art form for lack of a better word. 

Yeah, I suppose the Bulls have gone thru a prolonged drought of NBA greatness since MJ. Professional basketball is my oldest nephew's passion as a ref, but I always liked Reggie Miller & watched him when I stumbled on a Pacers game even though I readily admit I'm no NBA guru at all. 

Wilbon sounds like a real piece of work. Wink; wink. Maybe he should be more concerned about his precious Bears winning the NFC North vs spewing negativity Luck's way. Uh huh. Some people just aren't warm & fuzzy are they? LOL! 

Yeah he should be more worried about Jay Cutler QBing his team than what is going on with our team. We beat his Bears in the SB and took his Bulls 7 games in 1998 scaring the crap out of him LOL. He and Spike Lee hate Indiana haha 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

What you call "savage" I refer to as accurate & thorough on NCF's part. Very well written too. I might add. 

I just don't see a Midwestern bias actually & I live in WI myself. Sometimes, exaggeration & a sledge hammer are necessary to drive a point home in a humorous way for symbolic effect. 

As for Luck's contract, it will get resolved. I don't see this as any sort of agent vs owner impasse. These matters always get done sometime after the draft. Nothing to fret about folks. Move along; move along. 

Oh yeah for sure I agree with everything NCF said. The way he did it kinda made me laugh. In terms of Midwest Bias, ehh I don't see any. I live in Canada so my knowledge on the topic isn't as thorough but from what I can tell, being in the mid west hasn't stopped some cities from having some of the best sports teams and dynasties over the past century.

The Luck deal WILL get done. It's just a matter of when

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

There might be something to the big market vs small market media coverage wise I guess, but if INDY wins the SB under Pagano/Luck, I'm sure the Natl. sports media will flock INDY just as easily as they found Denver in February after they hoisted the Lombardi trophy above their head as a team. 

Small or big...Win the SB & you tend to get noticed. 

Win the SB you get noticed, I agree but not necessarily liked by ESPN people. Of course if a team from the West/Midwest wins the SB, ESPN analysts will talk great about them for a few days. They have too. Not 1 person picked Denver to beat New England that works for ESPN so they had to own up and admit they were wrong. Not 1 picked Denver to beat Carolina either, so same thing. Guaranteed by next season, 99% of ESPN people will either pick NE or Pitt to win it all. They do every season. I remember after we won it all in 2006 (just beat NE), we got praise for about a week and then once Randy Moss signed with the Pats, everyone was picking them to win it all going into 2007. There is not 1 ESPN analyst I know of that wants us to win it all. NE, Pitt, NY Giants, and Baltimore are their favorites in general going into every season. What's the 1 thing they all have in common? They all play on the East Coast.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Win the SB you get noticed, I agree but not necessarily liked by ESPN people. Of course if a team from the West/Midwest wins the SB, ESPN analysts will talk great about them for a few days. They have too. Not 1 person picked Denver to beat New England that works for ESPN so they had to own up and admit they were wrong. Not 1 picked Denver to beat Carolina either, so same thing. Guaranteed by next season, 99% of ESPN people will either pick NE or Pitt to win it all. They do every season. I remember after we won it all in 2006 (just beat NE), we got praise for about a week and then once Randy Moss signed with the Pats, everyone was picking them to win it all going into 2007. There is not 1 ESPN analyst I know of that wants us to win it all. NE, Pitt, NY Giants, and Baltimore are their favorites in general going into every season. What's the 1 thing they all have in common? They all play on the East Coast.

The homerism that ESPN shows for their east coast teams is the reason I quit watching them. Game time I watch but that's it. They just wait for the next catch phrase that will match "the other side of the pillow". Not happening.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The homerism that ESPN shows for their east coast teams is the reason I quit watching them. Game time I watch but that's it. They just wait for the next catch phrase that will match "the other side of the pillow". Not happening.

RIP Stu. Yeah I just watch ESPN and the NFL Network because I love Football but at times I swear those 2 Networks are the Patriots payroll or the Steelers payroll. I was really shocked nobody picked Denver to beat Carolina in the SB from either. To me that was a no brainer. I knew Denver would beat them after getting embarrassed by Seattle in SB 48. Also last years Carolina team wasn't as good as Seattle was in 2013. Denver didn't have Von Miller in 2013 nor did they have Talib or Ware so Denver's Defense was much better compared to 2013 as well. I wish that would've been one game I could've bet on, had I been in Vegas I would've. Heck I would've even got 6 points haha Also Peyton was due to win another SB, once he got by the Pats it was over.

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

For some reason most of the analysts on ESPN and the NFL Network dislike the Colts, they always have even when we had Peyton. I remember on one Sunday morning countdown, Keyshawn Johnson slipped and actually said he hated Peyton Manning when we were winning all of those games in 2009. I am not sure if it's because we are a small market team, not a flashy team, or don't  play on the East Coast to why most don't like us. It could be we are Good to Great almost every season and are a pain in the behind to most of the teams they like?

I think there are 3 factors: 

1. They hate Irsay

2. They hate us winning so much

3. They hate the more conservative political views of people in Indianapolis vs their far left views. 

If you don't think politics of the left wing media play a part, then you either agree with them, or haven't been paying attention.  ESPN is particularly horrendous mixing political views in their sports stories.  Watching First Take is as politically biased as anything you'll see on MSNBC on a given day.  

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He mentioned it as one of the reasons he could spend that $$$ for the entire team instead of one player. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/10/19/peyton-manning-jim-irsay-indianapolis-colts-decision-andrew-luck/3076797/

If he ties up all that money with Andrew Luck and there's not much else left for the team well that's the complete opposite of what he said about Manning now isn't it? 

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

1. They hate Irsay

3. They hate the more conservative political views of people in Indianapolis vs their far left views. 

If you don't think politics of the left wing media play a part, then you either agree with them, or haven't been paying attention.  ESPN is particularly horrendous mixing political views in their sports stories.  Watching First Take is as politically biased as anything you'll see on MSNBC on a given day.  

Most the people who cover sports for a living don't give two cents about politics.

What they do care about is.....     sports.

There's a difference between people who cover politics for a living and those who cover sports.

One covers...   politics.      The other covers...  sports.

Typically those who cover politics don't care about sports.     Those who cover sports don't about politics.

Please try not to overthink this......

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Seriously?      I''m kinda guessing geography isn't big with you?

The reason why ESPN experts pick the teams you listed is they also happen to be.....     very good.

How about teams like Dallas, Green Bay,  Denver,  Seattle,  San Francisco (when they were good)....   ESPN folks loved them.     They don't pick their favorites by geography,  they pick them by who is good,  and who is not.     This isn't rocket science.     They picked the Colts when Peyton was here.     And a number of media outlets picked the Colts as a SB pre-season favorite last year.     

By the way,  if you think Pittsburgh is on the East Coast,  then you know something no one else in America does.   Pittsburgh is closer to the Great Lakes and Buffalo than any place else.      They may be in the Eastern Time Zone,    but they're not on the Coast.     They're not even close to the coast.     They're near Ohio.

Wilbon can just get in line (with the other people who don't like Irsay). Anything Wilbon says regarding Irsay is just falling on deaf ears. The Colts have been one of the most successful organizations of the last decade and a half.  We all know Luck will sign one of the biggest contracts in the history of the league here very soon.  Luck loves the Colts organization which is clear by his adoration of Coach Pagano and the positive things he says about his time here thus far. Next topic please!!!

22 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Drew Brees is the only one in recent memory 

Drew Brees wasn't elite when he left the Chargers. He was above average, and had some serious injuries, and that's why the Chargers had drafted Rivers to begin with. Brees was done in San Diego two years before he left.

He became elite in New Orleans.

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reason why ESPN experts pick the teams you listed is they also happen to be.....     very good.

How about teams like Dallas, Green Bay,  Denver,  Seattle,  San Francisco (when they were good)....   ESPN folks loved them.     They don't pick their favorites by geography,  they pick them by who is good,  and who is not.     This isn't rocket science.     They picked the Colts when Peyton was here.     And a number of media outlets picked the Colts as a SB pre-season favorite last year.     

By the way,  if you think Pittsburgh is on the East Coast,  then you know something no one else in America does.   Pittsburgh is closer to the Great Lakes and Buffalo than any place else.      They may be in the Eastern Time Zone,    but they're not on the Coast.     They're not even close to the coast.     They're near Ohio.

this bias is more clear when you are from indiana.  its not that espn hates us.  its that they like other teams better even if they arnt any good.  nfc east for example

the eagles, redskins and cowboys are all over espn even if they suck.  the colts get no mention unless they are really freaking good

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

this bias is more clear when you are from indiana.  its not that espn hates us.  its that they like other teams better even if they arnt any good.  nfc east for example

the eagles, redskins and cowboys are all over espn even if they suck.  the colts get no mention unless they are really freaking good

No.    Sorry.

But that isn't a hate.     What that is is numbers.

Dallas, Philly,  Washington and the NYG come from big cities.    When stories are done on those teams,  there are a large number of fans that watch and influence ratings.    When stories are done on-line there are a large number of fans who click on those stories.

That doesn't happen for Indy.     Small market.    Not great TV ratings without Peyton.    And very poor internet clicks.

If Indy was a big market like Chicago,   there would be many, MANY more stories on the Colts.    But there's a very small fan base here.      Very small.

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Every fan base believes ESPN hates them.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.    Sorry.

But that isn't a hate.     What that is is numbers.

Dallas, Philly,  Washington and the NYG come from big cities.    When stories are done on those teams,  there are a large number of fans that watch and influence ratings.    When stories are done on-line there are a large number of fans who click on those stories.

That doesn't happen for Indy.     Small market.    Not great TV ratings without Peyton.    And very poor internet clicks.

If Indy was a big market like Chicago,   there would be many, MANY more stories on the Colts.    But there's a very small fan base here.      Very small.

that still makes it bias though.  i know its a numbers thing

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

yeah probably, i was more referring to coverage.  the eagles for example seem to get a lot of air time no matter what they do.

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I don't think that's a bias. I think it's a business decision. East coast teams pull bigger ratings, and bigger ratings means more money for the networks. 

That said, the Colts get the maximum amount of national TV games every year, except for 2012, so I don't understand the angle that they don't get coverage. If you're talking about sports talk shows, they tend to talk about controversial teams. The Eagles do a lot of headline worthy stuff, the Colts don't. Oh well, I prefer it that way.

24 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

But it's a bias based on numbers which translates to ratings and dollars.

It's not based on a hate of the midwest for midwest values and your political beliefs or religious beliefs.   And that's what a number of posters here actually think.

As long as we're talking about ratings and dollars,  then we agree.

But if the topic turns to East Coast Liberals hate midwest conservatives,  then we disagree....

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

He mentioned it as one of the reasons he could spend that $$$ for the entire team instead of one player. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2013/10/19/peyton-manning-jim-irsay-indianapolis-colts-decision-andrew-luck/3076797/

If he ties up all that money with Andrew Luck and there's not much else left for the team well that's the complete opposite of what he said about Manning now isn't it? 

Other teams have highly paid QBs and they are doing fine. At the start of this last season Denver paid Manning. Part of the problem the Colts had financially with Manning is the other contracts that were signed by Polian and son. The Colts cap space was in bad shape. You can be assured that Luck is going to get paid and it wont be cheap either. Nor should it. Grigson has been pretty smart as far as the contracts he has signed and I don't see it changing. Luck will earn his money, that is something a few other QBs have not done. You are also using hindsight from an article that is 2 1/2 years old when the Colts had just come off 39 million in dead cap space. Things are a little different now.

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

1. They hate Irsay

Why do you guys always try to make football about politics and rant off about da eeeeevil left wing? This isn't politics, it's sports, and this thinking is absolutely absurd as it comes down to fans trying to make it political when it's really not. As is the thinking that anything on ESPN is "far left". lmao

No one cares about more "conservative political views" with watching football. Football is about football, not about politics. 

If anything, you have Luck who could be classified as "progressive" seeing as he has a brain and has stood up in the past for LGBT rights, when it's rare for anyone in the NFL to actually care about this and overall is a likable person because of this. You should be happy with this, if anything good comes out of having a nice quarterback like that who respects human rights, you will get fans outside the state of Indiana and that fan following is a good thing. I like Luck off the field, I think he's a very nice person that deserves better treatment than he gets. 

Hate to bust your persecution bubble too, but no one really "hates" your team. No one really cares, except other AFC South team fans. The Colts proved this year, they're an average team without a healthy Luck. If he's healthy, they have a legitimate chance of sweeping their horrible division and going to the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK, I know Pittsburgh isn't on the Coast so I should've been more specific and just said ESPN has a bias toward teams that play East. I am sure you knew what I meant. If you live in Indiana you see the bias on ESPN. They also have a bias toward the bigger market teams. If you don't see it I am guessing you don't live in Indiana.

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

Why do you guys always try to make football about politics and rant off about da eeeeevil left wing? This isn't politics, it's sports, and this thinking is absolutely absurd as it comes down to fans trying to make it political when it's really not. As is the thinking that anything on ESPN is "far left". lmao

No one cares about more "conservative political views" with watching football. Football is about football, not about politics. 

If anything, you have Luck who could be classified as "progressive" seeing as he has a brain and has stood up in the past for LGBT rights, when it's rare for anyone in the NFL to actually care about this and overall is a likable person because of this. You should be happy with this, if anything good comes out of having a nice quarterback like that who respects human rights, you will get fans outside the state of Indiana and that fan following is a good thing. I like Luck off the field, I think he's a very nice person that deserves better treatment than he gets. 

Hate to bust your persecution bubble too, but no one really "hates" your team. No one really cares, except other AFC South team fans. The Colts proved this year, they're an average team without a healthy Luck. If he's healthy, they have a legitimate chance of sweeping their horrible division and going to the playoffs. 

Coming from the guy who believes everyone hates the Saints lol

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

OK, I know Pittsburgh isn't on the Coast so I should've been more specific and just said ESPN has a bias toward teams that play East. I am sure you knew what I meant. If you live in Indiana you see the bias on ESPN. They also have a bias toward the bigger market teams. If you don't see it I am guessing you don't live in Indiana.

Play east?  What's that mean?

38 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Play east?  What's that mean?

Play out East. I will never forget following the Pacers/Knicks series during the 1994 ECFinals and how the media that was covering that from ESPN were cringing at the thought that the Pacers were on the verge of beating them and making it to the Finals. We were called hicks and hayseeds, etc.. When the Knicks won in 7 you could tell how happy and relieved the media was just by how they were reporting. The next season when the Pacers beat the Knicks in 1995 the coverage wasn't near as much or as enthusiastic. Just some stuff you notice watching sports for 40 years.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Play out East. I will never forget following the Pacers/Knicks series during the 1994 ECFinals and how the media that was covering that from ESPN were cringing at the thought that the Pacers were on the verge of beating them and making it to the Finals. We were called hicks and hayseeds, etc.. When the Knicks won in 7 you could tell how happy and relieved the media was just by how they were reporting. The next season when the Pacers beat the Knicks in 1995 the coverage wasn't near as much or as enthusiastic. Just some stuff you notice watching sports for 40 years.

But steelers don't really play out east.  They play in skoal country lol.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All I'm asking is to read some of the responses in this thread....

For example,  read Superman's posts here.     He's saying roughly what I am,  only in far, far fewer words!   (and that's a good thing!)      He's saying it more clearly and concisely.     Just consider it....