Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

March 7 2012/ March 7 2016 !

The Old Crow

A Denver writer noted that Peyton picked March the 7th to retire, the four year anniversary of being let go by the Colts. Was this a coincidence, or a slap in the face to the press conference when he was unceremoniously let go in 2012 ? Very interesting choice of dates. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure but Peyton is one smart guy so I wouldn't doubt it either.

I never even noticed this until the Denver writer brought it up in his article. Knowing how precise and organized Peyton is, you have to believe it may not be a coincidence. 

5 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

A Denver writer noted that Peyton picked March the 7th to retire, the four year anniversary of being let go by the Colts. Was this a coincidence, or a slap in the face to the press conference when he was unceremoniously let go in 2012 ? Very interesting choice of dates. 

"Unceremoniously let go?" Are you sure what that word means? It was probably the biggest sports media conference since "The Decision."

11 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Manning trolls Irsay one last time...this guy and his wit really will be missed. I don't know if we'll see another player like him for a long time.

We wont, he dominated. As much as I love Andrew he isn't Peyton, then again nobody is. He could take a Bad team and still go 10-6 with ease.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We wont, he dominated. As much as I love Andrew he isn't Peyton, then again nobody is. He could take a Bad team and still go 10-6 with ease.

Yep. Guy was on top of his game and was also a humorous, witty, regular guy off the field. That's a good combination for a football player. 

19 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

15 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Manning trolls Irsay one last time...this guy and his wit really will be missed. I don't know if we'll see another player like him for a long time.

Why would him choosing the same date be a slap in the face of the prior press conference and why would that choice be trolling Irsay?

I don't know about the trolling part, but the Denver writer pointed out Manning' s attention to detail, and the March 7th date as probably not a coincidence. Let's face facts, Manning had been needled a bit by Irsay about the one SB, and how the Luck deal was so great. Perhaps so, but you can bet Peyton as a competitor , took the press conference , and the ensuing comments hard. 

I still haven't heard if Manning is doing anything with the Colts other than a private ceremony. He is too classy to diss anyone, and you know he loves  the fans and the city of Indy . The real question is how accommodating will he be with Irsay, after all that went down the last four years ? 

15 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

"Unceremoniously let go?" Are you sure what that word means? It was probably the biggest sports media conference since "The Decision."

I know the media conference was big, but he was dumped, bottom line. We all understand the reasons , but it had to be tough for Peyton after all he had done for the franchise. 

4 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I know the media conference was big, but he was dumped, bottom line. We all understand the reasons , but it had to be tough for Peyton after all he had done for the franchise. 

Yeah, but on the other side: Peyton is smart and knows that he probably wouldn't have gone to two SB and won one of them in those four years, had he stayed. Sometimes you wish for the wrong thing and life treat you the better deal instead. 

@The Old Crow Just because you hate Irsay doesn't mean that Manning chose this date out of hate.  If the joint press release saying there's no hating doesn't convince you then I don't know what I can tell you. You just think they are liars?

BTW, did he have to do this by a certain date? I wondered why he didn't choose the 18th what with being 18 and playing for 18 years

I didn't say he hated Irsay . The speculation , based on the Denver article, was that he may have picked this day because it was the anniversary of a tough press conference four years to the day. It could be a coincidence, but it is an interesting choice of a date. 

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

Why would him choosing the same date be a slap in the face of the prior press conference and why would that choice be trolling Irsay?

Leaving on his own terms versus being released. Maybe he chose the date just to be ironic, maybe he liked the symmetry, or maybe it was just coincidence. Who knows.

45 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Yeah, but on the other side: Peyton is smart and knows that he probably wouldn't have gone to two SB and won one of them in those four years, had he stayed. Sometimes you wish for the wrong thing and life treat you the better deal instead. 

I'm sure he gets that part of it, but do you think he liked the constant one Super Bowl comments , or the heightened comments before and after Denver games ? Maybe it didn't bother him at all, but again , picking March 7th of all dates ? I was shocked to find out the retirement press conference was exactly four years to the day of his release. 

53 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Well yeah, he was dumped if that's how you want to phrase it.  But unceremonious is just the opposite of the correct word describing it.  Unceremoniously dumped would be a guy that just gets cut, there's a blurb on it, and that's about it.  This was a full on press conference held for the sole purpose of addressing the situation.  

It was tough on everybody, including the fans.

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well yeah, he was dumped if that's how you want to phrase it.  But unceremonious is just the opposite of the correct word describing it.  Unceremoniously dumped would be a guy that just gets cut, there's a blurb on it, and that's about it.  This was a full on press conference held for the sole purpose of addressing the situation.  

It was tough on everybody, including the fans.

My opinion is that despite the press conference and attempt to shine things up, it had to be fairly unceremonious compared to what he accomplished. I get your point though, they certainly tried to make the best of it, but it seemed extremely awkward. 

4 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Leaving on his own terms versus being released. Maybe he chose the date just to be ironic, maybe he liked the symmetry, or maybe it was just coincidence. Who knows.

I agree with that, just not that Manning was attempting to troll Irsay.

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

My opinion is that despite the press conference and attempt to shine things up, it had to be fairly unceremonious compared to what he accomplished. I get your point though, they certainly tried to make the best of it, but it seemed extremely awkward. 

No offense, but you are making a mountain out of a mole hill, let alone start to make a good point.

14 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Should I do drugs to understand you? Help me out here...

9 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Not sure what you mean. I think I've been perfectly clear, but do what you have to do. 

haha   I'm just gonna have a :cheers:   and toast the two of you.   Two of my favorites on here :)