Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Manning retiring on Monday (Merge)

RockThatBlue

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Restored said:

#Peyton2016

#MakeTheNFLGreatAgain

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Too high of character for that.  Even his louche scandal is too comical for him to run for Prez...

can bring greatness to the position, at least deliver better speeches, or fed chairperson, he talks so more clearly

How about , Commissioner of the NFL in time

8 hours ago, Gramz said:

Having a bit of a bittersweet feeling today.

7 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

Peyton is a great player and great ambassador of the game.  The NFL and its fans will miss a true great of the game.  Peyton, thanks for the memories and good luck in your next venture.

Sunday\'s simply wont be the same

7 hours ago, Fx Stryker said:

Peyton knows how to make speeches.

I've hoped for years Johnny U loved who Peyton was. And he did. That is the best part of the speech to me.

I didn't know that Johnny Unitas story..I didn't know he encouraged Peyton....that was great stuff.

I'm biased but Johnny U is the only QB I'd rank ahead of Peyton

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah, you might know it was from a reporter for the USA Today.

Glad she asked it, she's right. He needed to address it and I'm glad he at least somewhat took it seriously with his response. At least he didn't blow it off. 

5 minutes ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Glad she asked it, she's right. He needed to address it and I'm glad he at least somewhat took it seriously with his response. At least he didn't blow it off. 

She didn't  have to ask,   She Chose to ask.  

I wish it hadn't been brought up today,  it wasn't necessary, it was disrespectful but as always, Peyton handled it well.    

1 minute ago, Fx Stryker said:

Does any know what Peyton said. ESPN started to lose feed during that question. I laughed because it seemed intentional.

He said   "First off this is a joyous day and nothing can overtake from this day. I think it is sad some people don't understand the truth and the facts," Manning said. "I did not do what has been alleged. I'm not interested in re-litigating something that happened when I was 19 years old. I can't say it any plainer than that.

9 minutes ago, Gramz said:

She didn't  have to ask,   She Chose to ask.  

I wish it hadn't been brought up today,  it wasn't necessary, it was disrespectful but as always, Peyton handled it well.    

Just because it's a topic you might not be comfortable with, doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to say his piece on the subject. She did her job and asked a question that gave him a chance to say his piece on the matter. It's not rude, it's not disrespectful and she asked it in a professional manner. He answered and they all moved on from the topic. They all handled it well. 

7 minutes ago, Fx Stryker said:

Does any know what Peyton said. ESPN started to lose feed during that question. I laughed because it seemed intentional.

"First of all, this is a joyous day and nothing can overtake from this day. I think it is sad that some people don't understand the truth and the facts. I did not do what has been alleged, and I am not interested in re-litigating something that happened when I was 19 years old. Kind of like my daddy used to say when I was in trouble, 'I can't say it any plainer than that.' This is a joyous day. It's a special day. Like Forest Gump said: 'That's all I have to say about that.'"

1 minute ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Just because it's a topic you might not be comfortable with, doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to say his piece on the subject. She did her job and asked a question that gave him a chance to say his piece on the matter.

It has nothing to do whatsoever with what I might or might not be comfortable with.

She made herself look like an *  by asking it.

13 minutes ago, Gramz said:

It has nothing to do whatsoever with what I might or might not be comfortable with.

She made herself look like an *  by asking it.

Doing your job in a professional way to give someone a chance to say their piece on allegations against them is looking "like an *". Got it. Guess Manning shouldn't get to say anything and everyone in the press should have acted like the topic never existed. Everyone put your blinders on. 

1 minute ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Doing your job in a professional way to give someone a chance to say their piece on allegations against them is looking "like an *". Got it. Guess Manning shouldn't get to say anything and everyone in the press should have acted like the topic never existed. Everyone put your blinders on. 

If he wanted to address it he would have.   She didn't "give" him the opportunity to address it. 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

If he wanted to address it he would have.   She didn't "give" him the opportunity to address it. 

Well if that's the case, we'll let him and everyone else who have allegations against them just opt out of talking about them and act like they never happened. 

3 minutes ago, Blackhawk4 said:

We obviously disagree.   I don't think it was the right time or place.   I don't think Peyton thought it was the right time or place,  but he handled it with grace, like he always does.

I don't have blinders on.   I think today should have been about celebrating his career, and not about anything else.   There is a time and place for everything.    

7 minutes ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Well if that's the case, we'll let him and everyone else who have allegations against them just opt out of talking about them and act like they never happened. 

I don't recall anyone asking Ray Lewis about the murders in Atlanta during his retirement speech

1 hour ago, Blackhawk4 said:

He is under a gag order. So no, legally he cant make an open response. He addressed this years ago. She had no business or class asking him about something that happened 20 years ago. I am sure she is educated with the facts about the sue happy gold digging woman. It was nothing but a question ask to draw attention to herself when it should be all about Manning. And no, she was not right in asking.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is under a gag order. So no, legally he cant make an open response. He addressed this years ago. She had no business or class asking him about something that happened 20 years ago. I am sure she is educated with the facts about the sue happy gold digging woman. It was nothing but a question ask to draw attention to herself when it should be all about Manning. And no, she was not right in asking.

That's my point, CC.

I hear media asking Peyton to address this.....There was writer in USA Today Monday that said he should apologize.

He DID apologize to the woman when the incident occurred. The court transcripts (which never say he touched her incidentally) say he called her. he went to her office. He wrote letters. He called her husband. She refused to accept his apology . No one denies that.

And he is not allowed to comment on this case further. He was sued because he did.  

As a reporter I would have waited until after the conference and then tried to approach him for comment on this.

His answer would have been the same, I'd bet. But everyone knew what his answer would be under any circumstances.   

Now, I'm hearing that some thought he was joking with the 'movie reference at the end. And that he shouldn't have smiled.

I don't think he was joking at all. I think that's exactly what he meant.  This entire 1996 rehash was phony from the start

I don't know what part of "he can't talk about it without fear of being sued" the media doesn't get.

I get that all the reporters  and guests that were in the room were there by "invitation only" and    I suppose it is quite possible Peyton "knew" the questions that were coming, and that he was prepared for it.  

Water under the bridge now.   I still think it was inappropriate.

This isn't about anything other than Manning's career. It has been a pleasure watching him play and I'm proud to have watched him as a fan and one day tell my kids I watched the greatest QB of my generation change the game. Hope to see him coaching or somehow keeping involved in the game. 

11 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

There is a time and a place. That was not the time nor place.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's my point, CC.

I hear media asking Peyton to address this.....There was writer in USA Today Monday that said he should apologize.

He DID apologize to the woman when the incident occurred. The court transcripts (which never say he touched her incidentally) say he called her. he went to her office. He wrote letters. He called her husband. She refused to accept his apology . No one denies that.

And he is not allowed to comment on this case further. He was sued because he did.  

As a reporter I would have waited until after the conference and then tried to approach him for comment on this.

His answer would have been the same, I'd bet. But everyone knew what his answer would be under any circumstances.   

Now, I'm hearing that some thought he was joking with the 'movie reference at the end. And that he shouldn't have smiled.

I don't think he was joking at all. I think that's exactly what he meant.  This entire 1996 rehash was phony from the start

According to him, he said sorry over phone message, over certified letter, but nobody wants to believe his side since King shaped his story to prop her allegations as fact and anything pro-Manning is apologetic and not-objective.

11 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a judge put a gag order on the whole incident? If that is the case, then any and all questions directed toward Manning concerning the incident are out of place and he should not have to respond. 

14 minutes ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a judge put a gag order on the whole incident? If that is the case, then any and all questions directed toward Manning concerning the incident are out of place and he should not have to respond. 

Exactly. The reporter claiming "someone had to do it" just shows her lack of awareness and intelligence and reflects poorly on her journalistic integrity. She had her 15 seconds.

1 hour ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

People know it can't be discussed or re-litigated despite her side apparently being allowed to say whatever she wants and he can only quote forest gump to stick up for himself. Knowing this, the reporter is a dumb bimbo for asking at that press conference.

2 hours ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

Ok then. That gag order was back in 2002, it was breached by Manning and they reached a settlement for that. Gag orders do not last that long (except in really rare cases).

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

Knowing this, the reporter is a dumb bimbo for asking at that press conference.

Just fyi, I find this statement sexist.

I mean really what would the equivalent statement be if a man had asked the question?

I don't mean to derail the derail of this thread but could you please refrain from inflammatory posting like this?

17 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Just fyi, I find this statement sexist.

I mean really what would the equivalent statement be if a man had asked the question?

I don't mean to derail the derail of this thread but could you please refrain from inflammatory posting like this?

Sure, but please know if she were a male I would have said something rude about him as well for trying to derail his special moment. I hate stupid people equally. I would have called him something that would have gotten flagged and shown up as a "*" so technically I went easier on her than I would if it was a male. She deserves all the criticism she gets. 

2 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Ok then. That gag order was back in 2002, it was breached by Manning and they reached a settlement for that. Gag orders do not last that long (except in really rare cases).

They can last forever. 

2 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Pretty sure she sued him for defamation in 02/03, we don't even know if he signed an NDA since her 96 suit was against the school and not him personally. Manning didn't breach anything because there was nothing to breach. At least not until after the 03 suit was settled but based on her facebook posts and recorded phone calls it's easy to see she actually breached it. They reached a settlement because he was a rich celebrity athlete who wanted to throw some change at a problem to make it go away before her ridiculous, self-conflicting allegations came out (which had nothing to do with her lawsuit against him) and people who don't understand facts would think everything she says is true when there are a million reasons to not believe a word she says.

13 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Sure, but please know if she were a male I would have said something rude about him as well for trying to derail his special moment. I hate stupid people equally. I would have called him something that would have gotten flagged and shown up as a "*" so technically I went easier on her than I would if it was a male. She deserves all the criticism she gets. 

No one deserves to be called names.

And why are you guys still derailing a pleasant topic with one question asked that was dealt with appropriately within seconds?

:mindblow: Having a hard time comprehending why anyone would think bringing this nonsense up at his retirement press conference would in any way be appropriate. 

I am very grateful that for the most part Peyton was  showered with love and kindness and appreciation from the masses across the country celebrating him on this special day.

4 minutes ago, Nadine said:

No one deserves to be called names.

And why are you guys still derailing a pleasant topic with one question asked that was dealt with appropriately within seconds?

We can agree to disagree on that. Yesterday was a great day. Rewatched the speech last night. Also, for anyone that doesn't want to spend $34 on the Broncos SB blu ray, apple has a 12 dollar version that came out today on itunes. I rewatched the AFC & SB this morning before work. Makes up for the fact that itunes did not carry individual games for purchase on itunes this year.

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

We can agree to disagree on that

not on the name calling.  We don't do that here

I know you guys were ticked off at the question but it seems to me that saying so once is fine but continuing the discussion just gives it more visibility, which is what you object to, as well as the timing.

you see what I'm saying?

On March 7, 2016 at 8:11 PM, chad72 said:

I have great respect for Tom Brady as well. I am not surprised he did what he did. 

However, Patriots fans on PatsPulpit, man they are one of a kind. They would even make sure to spit on Peyton's grave, it feels like. I am not even sure they can see beyond the Brady worship and the tunnel vision of a Brady vs Peyton argument, no wonder people hate the "johnny come lately" Patriots fans, they represent Boston and the Patriots terribly, I feel like.

Yeah, I like Tom too Chad. I know I'm supposed to hate the guy as an AFC rival, but I don't. 

On March 7, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Yehoodi said:

Peyton is a great player and great ambassador of the game.  The NFL and its fans will miss a true great of the game.  Peyton, thanks for the memories and good luck in your next venture.

It's comments like this one that remind me that the Pats fans I consider friends are pretty cool. You know who you are. 

On March 7, 2016 at 0:42 PM, jvan1973 said:

I knew someone was going to ask the question about the crap at Tennessee.    

I know right. I loved Peyton's Forrest Gump answer though Jvan. It was beautiful. Manning completely disarmed that reporter, gave her no ammunition to work with, & won over everybody in the room. Textbook Peyton. 

23 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

I completely disagree with what you said that I bolded. On a HOF QB's retirement, you celebrate what they learned, what they achieved, & what lessoned they accumulated along the way. Not Tennessee recycled news from 20 yrs ago designed exclusively to gain more attention or social media followers as a journalist. 

Do you think it would be appropriate to ask Brett Favre during his retirement day if he's still addicted to pain killers or would he have intimate relations with  Jenn Sterger as a member of the NY Jets if he knew his wife would never find out? No, it's completely out of bounds given the occasion being commemorated. 

I'd say the same thing when Tom Brady retires from football too. That day is about NFL milestones & bonds of brotherhood in the locker room not SpyGate or Deflate Gate. You have to know what a special day this is for an NFL athlete & not turn the festivities into TMZ tabloid trash just to increase online hits. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I completely disagree with what you said that I bolded. On a HOF QB's retirement, you celebrate what they learned, what they achieved, & what lessoned they accumulated along the way. Not Tennessee recycled news from 20 yrs ago designed exclusively to gain more attention or social media followers as a journalist. 

Do you think it would be appropriate to ask Brett Favre during his retirement day if he's still addicted to pain killers or would he have intimate relations with  Jenn Sterger as a member of the NY Jets if he knew his wife would never find out? No, it's completely out of bounds given the occasion being commemorated. 

I'd say the same thing when Tom Brady retires from football too. That day is about NFL milestones & bonds of brotherhood in the locker room not SpyGate or Deflate Gate. You have to know what a special day this is for an NFL athlete & not turn the festivities into TMZ tabloid trash just to increase online hits. 

YES SW1 ALL OF THIS