Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gavins Mock 3.0 (1st five rounds)

I could definitely see this happening and I'd be very pleased.

Reed could start right away and would instantly upgrade our line. 

Calhoun is a guy I think could eventually take over for Mathis while being used on obvious passing situations this season. 

Boehm is the center I want this year. Tough durable guy that is a good value in round 4. 

Good job Gavin

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

No way Calhoun is there at our second pick

For what it's worth....   the Colts pick 48th in the 2nd round.

CBS Sports has the highest rank for him as the 52nd best overall player.

NFL Network has him at 65th...

And ESPN has him at 78.

So, all three groups think he could be there when we pick at 48.

But......

All three groups all see Calhoun as a 4-3 DE and not a 3-4 OLB.      Two of the three didn't even consider him an OLB,  and only ESPN suggested it was possible, and then said he's a much better fit as a 4-3 DE.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

1.Jarran Reed-DL-Bama

2.Shilique Calhoun-OLB-Michigan State

3.Joshua Garnett-OG Stanford

4.Evan Boehm-C-Missouri

5.Will Redmond-CB-Mississippi State

I'm fine with Reed....    but my three favorite rating services, ESPN, NFL.com and CBS Sports all say he's a 4-3 DE and not a 3-4 OLB.

Garnett may or may not be there in the 3rd.      And I think Redmond will be long off the board by the 5th round.  

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm fine with Reed....    but my three favorite rating services, ESPN, NFL.com and CBS Sports all say he's a 4-3 DE and not a 3-4 OLB.

Garnett may or may not be there in the 3rd.      And I think Redmond will be long off the board by the 5th round.  

You sure you mean Reed? Because he is definitely a 3-4 DE and NT. Not my ideal pick in the 1st round actually but I could it happening

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

You sure you mean Reed? Because he is definitely a 3-4 DE and NT. Not my ideal pick in the 1st round actually but I could it happening

Sorry....   my bad....

My comment about not being an OLB were for Calhoun,  the kid from Michigan State.    The services see him as a 4-3 DE,  not a 3-4 OLB.

Sorry....

Not a huge fan as Reed seems like just a plug on the defense. Billings would be superior on the line and if he's not available I would look at Apple. Calhoun I think would be better fit for a 4-3 End. Garnett is a power blocking machine and I don't know if any scout has said anything positive about him and ZBS.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Calhoun can play DE as well as OLB

How much playing time if any has he at OLB? Based on reports I've read he seems to have been a DE in a 4-3 the entire time. He isn't a freak athlete and doesn't have much experience in coverage. What traits make him a fit in our scheme?

10 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

How much playing time if any has he at OLB? Based on reports I've read he seems to have been a DE in a 4-3 the entire time. He isn't a freak athlete and doesn't have much experience in coverage. What traits make him a fit in our scheme?

Watch his conversion drills at the combine. You can see he clearly has no problems in space. Plus he's already 250 which is ideal weight for an OLB. I would also argue he wins more with speed and finesse than he does power, making him better suited for a 3-4.

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I don't think he meant a 3-4 DE.  Pretty sure Gavin was saying he could play 4-3 DE and/or 3-4 OLB.

:funny:Though if a 3-4 DE could also play 3-4 OLB that would be a sight to see

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Watch his conversion drills at the combine. You can see he clearly has no problems in space. Plus he's already 250 which is ideal weight for an OLB. I would also argue he wins more with speed and finesse than he does power, making him better suited for a 3-4.

Based on the sample I've watched with him he isn't a strength bull rush type. Just the lack of experience with OLB scares me off a little bit and he isn't a freak athlete. I wouldn't mind this pick because he can develop a better pass rush Arsenal and hopefully become a little more explosive. 

6 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

Based on the sample I've watched with him he isn't a strength bull rush type. Just the lack of experience with OLB scares me off a little bit and he isn't a freak athlete. I wouldn't mind this pick because he can develop a better pass rush Arsenal and hopefully become a little more explosive. 

There aren't many freak athlete pass rushers in this draft. Floyd is the only edge guy with freaky athleticism. But a lot of edge rushers change positions in the pros without experience.

Calhoun had stood up from time to time for the Spartans. He won't have a problem as an OLB if that's where he has to play in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There aren't many freak athlete pass rushers in this draft. Floyd is the only edge guy with freaky athleticism. But a lot of edge rushers change positions in the pros without experience.

Calhoun had stood up from time to time for the Spartans. He won't have a problem as an OLB if that's where he has to play in the NFL.

This is the one pick I can side with the most however I don't think he would BPA in our second. Yes there will be a learning curve and he can probably do it but how much better than a Ngakoue or Ochi? Garnett still doesn't fit an ideal ZBS and Reed is just a defense plug. I'm not high on any of the Bama defense line but Reed is better than Robinson. I feel you can get a somewhat comparable player in the second or third round. Reed isn't a Billings value too me. That's why I am high on Billings/Apple for our first assuming someone doesn't drop or trading back and acquiring some more picks.

3 hours ago, Jason_S said:

I don't think he meant a 3-4 DE.  Pretty sure Gavin was saying he could play 4-3 DE and/or 3-4 OLB.

OK....   fine....    but I'm not seeing much support from scouts about Calhoun being a 3-4 OLB.

They all seem to think he's a 4-3 DE.     

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK....   fine....    but I'm not seeing much support from scouts about Calhoun being a 3-4 OLB.

Ok fine. I was just clearing up what Gavin meant, wasn't trying to make a case for Calhoun s versatility or lack thereof :P

19 hours ago, Gavin said:

1.Jarran Reed-DL-Bama

2.Shilique Calhoun-OLB-Michigan State

3.Joshua Garnett-OG Stanford

4.Evan Boehm-C-Missouri

5.Will Redmond-CB-Mississippi State

•  
  •  

On target and a Very good draft.
 It assumes we sign a FA starting CB. If not, that guy can be found in rd 2 i believe. lol

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

He could put his hand in the dirt/turf like our OLB's have done from time to time to. But he is flexible and agile enough. I do wonder if he will fall to the 3rd though because of lack of play strength for his size. Another player I have my eye on is Alex McCalister DE/OLB out of Florida as a late day 3 prospect. He does come with character concerns though