Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers to stay in San Diego for 2016

Yehoodi

Just got an alert from NFL Mobile (Chris Wesseling) that the Chargers are staying in San Diego for 2016 season in the hope they can work out a deal for a new stadium.  Good glad to hear it, hope they can work out a deal for a new stadium so they can stay in San Diego for some time.

The Chargers have wanted a new stadium, ideally built downtown and part of the already successful Convention Center and Padres Stadium location.  The city wanted to rework their existing location which is rather isolated and not as financially lucrative over the long haul.  If they can get this done it's best all around.

The Chargers would always be second fiddle in LA and would end up having some team in San Diego to add more competition not less.  

San Diego should have a superbowl worthy stadium and should have had it years ago.  It is the most consistently great weather location in February and a huge destination for people wanting to get away from the cold in the east.  

San Diego makes a lot of sense by building a stadium for itself. Even though the populous of the city are varied NFL fans that show up there, the "Super Bowl Venue", as Girlzarefanstoo mentions would be a magnet for financial stability over the years.

The Rams we already know. The Raiders are the only ones who may have a little trouble finding the funds to build a new park. San Antonio would. Probably several others. If not, back to L.A. as a last resort if the city of Oakland/Alameda county falter.

So much up in the air, it's hard to keep track of.

Downtown is such a hopping place since it was revitalized 20+ years ago and the Chargers want do have a venue that is active more than game day (like the Patriots' complex).  There are world class hotels, dining and there is the trolley system for guests to tour the city etc.  It's really the perfect location.  I hope they are able to get it there.  

The Raiders are touring Las Vegas as a possible relocation site.  They would be the perfect Vegas team.  EDIT TO ADD:  I just told hubby about the Raiders and LV and it was said, "They're too perfect for each other 'Sin City' and the Raiders... it's a match made in H***"  I laughed so hard (he's a quick one my hubby!)

1 minute ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Downtown is such a hopping place since it was revitalized 20+ years ago and the Chargers want do have a venue that is active more than game day (like the Patriots' complex).  There are world class hotels, dining and there is the trolley system for guests to tour the city etc.  It's really the perfect location.  I hope they are able to get it there.  

The Raiders are touring Las Vegas as a possible relocation site.  They would be the perfect Vegas team.

Just read the piece about the Raiders looking into a Las Vegas site. Right next door to the MGM. Pretty sure the NFL would support that monolithic-mega move.

I spent a little time on the Chargers message board this evening to take the temperature there.  

1.  Those who don't want a stadium downtown are against it because it will eliminate tailgaiting, but are willing for it to be put anywhere so that we keep our team.

2.  There were 310 pages in the stadium thread.  It's a hot discussion.

3.  I think the city will vote to build the stadium where they would not have done so last year.  Coming this close to losing their team has been a wake up call.

I'm not a Charger fan, but I think the owner was waiting it out, having a poker face to see what kind of moves the NFL are going to make to compensate or sweetened the PIE to help build a Stadium....Frankly i could care less if they move to London......

4 hours ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

I spent a little time on the Chargers message board this evening to take the temperature there.  

1.  Those who don't want a stadium downtown are against it because it will eliminate tailgaiting, but are willing for it to be put anywhere so that we keep our team.

2.  There were 310 pages in the stadium thread.  It's a hot discussion.

3.  I think the city will vote to build the stadium where they would not have done so last year.  Coming this close to losing their team has been a wake up call.

Just out of curiosity why would it eliminate tailgating?

5 hours ago, ColtRider said:

Just read the piece about the Raiders looking into a Las Vegas site. Right next door to the MGM. Pretty sure the NFL would support that monolithic-mega move.

If the NFL does a turnaround on Vegas it would surprise me. So far the NFL has stayed away from anything to do with gambling. We pretty know that is a pile of horse dung because of how much is gambled on football but the NFL is worried about it's reputation and any ties with gambling. You know, the protection of the shield? haha

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity why would it eliminate tailgating?

Municipality laws preventing drinking in outdoor public spaces. The grills/cooking fires would also be limited. Tailgating would basically be dead as the only people who could do it are those that got permits from the city to operate food trucks and food carts to simulate it.

It's a downtown area, you simply just can't have a bunch of random drinking and cooking fires.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If the NFL does a turnaround on Vegas it would surprise me. So far the NFL has stayed away from anything to do with gambling. We pretty know that is a pile of horse dung because of how much is gambled on football but the NFL is worried about it's reputation and any ties with gambling. You know, the protection of the shield? haha

You may be right, cc1. Too much perceptive turmoil. But man, having a team relocating there is like a piece of meat dangling in front of a lion's face to the NFL. (money) 

I think the tailgaiting issue would be more that downtown will use covered parking structures - sharing parking with the Convention Center and Padres Stadium.  For safety purposes, you don't want fires in a more enclosed space - carbon monoxide as well as fumes.  

I left San Diego before that stadium was completed so I don't know what the parking facility is for it.  If the new Stadium is in that vicinity it only makes sense that there would be a sharing of those structures that already exist.  

18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

So at this point.....The Rams go back to LA..

..and, for the coming season,  SD and Oakland stay where they are?

Wish that was the permanent solution. I don't think the Raiders will find a fan base as strong as strong as the one they have

So do I....

And since Stan Kroenke, or any other NFL owner,  won't be eating Top Ramen 5 nights a week or drinking Ripple any time soon...and even though I fully understand the NFL and NFL owner's bloodlust for making every dollar they can 25/8/366....I hope that San Diego and Oakland sprout new stadiums for the Chargers and the Raiders, and this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$-driven franchise-shopping, city-hopping stops.

Seriously....what will they name the next NFL team in St. Louis?

Cardinals

Rams

The Sojourners?

The Transients?

Enough already.

44 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

So do I....

And since Stan Kroenke, or any other NFL owner,  won't be eating Top Ramen 5 nights a week or drinking Ripple any time soon...and even though I fully understand the NFL and NFL owner's bloodlust for making every dollar they can 25/8/366....I hope that San Diego and Oakland sprout new stadiums for the Chargers and the Raiders, and this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$-driven franchise-shopping, city-hopping stops.

Seriously....what will they name the next NFL team in St. Louis?

Cardinals

Rams

The Sojourners?

The Transients?

Enough already.

I do not think a name will matter in St. Louis because I don't think they will ever get another team.

On January 30, 2016 at 7:33 PM, ColtRider said:

I don't think it would be a good thing for building a fan base. Las Vegas is like a melting pot for the west coast....not only that but if your a Denver, San Diego, KC etc fan what better road game to attend then a raider game. Visiting teams would outweigh the home team. That's a PR disaster for a team to have to basically never have a home field advantage. The money is fine...they could fill a stadium no problem...but I mean every visiting team would out draw the home team....I would definitely spend a weekend in Vegas to catch a colts/raiders game no issues and my wife would be right there beside me. I think SD gets a deal done and the raiders end up in LA. The only real tragedy is if the Raiders end up in SD....that would be sacrilege. What say you girlsrfanstoo? What if the raiders end up in SD?

On 1/31/2016 at 8:50 AM, Live and let live said:

I do not think a name will matter in St. Louis because I don't think they will ever get another team.

That might not want another NFL team. The tax payers in St Louis are on the hook for the100 million dollars they still owe on the stadium they have now.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't think it would be a good thing for building a fan base. Las Vegas is like a melting pot for the west coast....not only that but if your a Denver, San Diego, KC etc fan what better road game to attend then a raider game. Visiting teams would outweigh the home team. That's a PR disaster for a team to have to basically never have a home field advantage. The money is fine...they could fill a stadium no problem...but I mean every visiting team would out draw the home team....I would definitely spend a weekend in Vegas to catch a colts/raiders game no issues and my wife would be right there beside me. I think SD gets a deal done and the raiders end up in LA. The only real tragedy is if the Raiders end up in SD....that would be sacrilege. What say you girlsrfanstoo? What if the raiders end up in SD?

Dear.  God.  Please.  NOOOOOO!!!!  Unfortunately, polls done on the Chargers' Message Board are higher % supporting Raiders in SD than the Chargers in LA.  People are bitter if they leave.  Lots of Raiders fans already in SD.  UGLY if it happened.  Rivers said the thought made him nauseous...

On 1/30/2016 at 7:11 AM, SkyBane said:

Municipality laws preventing drinking in outdoor public spaces. The grills/cooking fires would also be limited. Tailgating would basically be dead as the only people who could do it are those that got permits from the city to operate food trucks and food carts to simulate it.

It's a downtown area, you simply just can't have a bunch of random drinking and cooking fires.

Well you know what they say.  If men write the laws, they can always unwrite them.

52 minutes ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

Dear.  God.  Please.  NOOOOOO!!!!  Unfortunately, polls done on the Chargers' Message Board are higher % supporting Raiders in SD than the Chargers in LA.  People are bitter if they leave.  Lots of Raiders fans already in SD.  UGLY if it happened.  Rivers said the thought made him nauseous...

All I can picture is: 

giphy.gif