Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When Caldwell Stays, Will Colts Get New Coaches?

JColts72

As much as I can't understand why Caldwell may be around next season; which seems to be the case as he continues to twist in the wind; probably knowing he'll be back; do you think that there will at least be some coaching staff changes with new assitants or cordinators?

I hope that will at least be the case. Would not mind seeing Zimmer, Williams, Phillps, Spags for defense. Perhaps Caldwell gets re-assigned?

If Colts keep same schemes with def., then u know busines as usual. Specials teams has been a joke for years. Murphy can always go back to LB coach if allows us to get a top notch d. coach. Caldwell may agree to any changes in order to keep his job.

The decision on Caldwell will be made this upcoming week so he very well could be fired, BUT if he stays im hoping the colts go for a 3-4 DC and a really disciplined ST coach.

I dont understand why you would want to go 3-4 we have two of the best DE's in the buisness who we are our 2 best players on defence who get all of our pressure and cause most of our turnovers and you want to get rid of them both leaving our defence with what no pass rush or big time players. All we need to do is get Spags or Del rio to use them more effectively look what Murphy did whith our defence so what could a top quality co-ordinator do with it.

The decision on Caldwell will be made this upcoming week so he very well could be fired, BUT if he stays im hoping the colts go for a 3-4 DC and a really disciplined ST coach.

we dont have the players for a 3-4...and honestly, a 4-3 can be every bit as effective with the right players and coaches. I am completely fine with sticking to a 4-3 as long as we stop with the cover 2 crap, ya know? the whole "bend but dont break" needs to go already

I dont understand why you would want to go 3-4 we have two of the best DE's in the buisness who we are our 2 best players on defence who get all of our pressure and cause most of our turnovers and you want to get rid of them both leaving our defence with what no pass rush or big time players. All we need to do is get Spags or Del rio to use them more effectively look what Murphy did whith our defence so what could a top quality co-ordinator do with it.

Thats interesting with the Del Rio case. I wouldn't mind having him as our D Coordinator at all. Even though Jacksonville was always medicore at best, their defense was always pretty good.

Yea... No more cover 2, bend but don't break crap.... That philosophy had always sucked.., definitely don't have to personnel for 3-4.... I like 4-3 just need better DT and freeney needs to step it up..... 13 tackles 8.5 sack.... Come on man

First off Murphy didnt do anything at all, the only reason the defense looked good is because they werent facing any good QBs those last two games, in the Pats game they were getting gashed in the Cover 2... As for the DE's that the colts have a reporter asked Mathis if he thinks he'll go to the Chargers and he said he doesnt know, point is freeney and mathis can both be as effective as they were in the 4-3.. matter of a fact it would probably benefit them.

Not to mention its much better suited to stop the run which is one of the colts biggest problems

we dont have the players for a 3-4...and honestly, a 4-3 can be every bit as effective with the right players and coaches. I am completely fine with sticking to a 4-3 as long as we stop with the cover 2 crap, ya know? the whole "bend but dont break" needs to go already

Agreed the 4-3 can be AS effective compared to the 3-4 but for the colts it would benefit them because then they would be much better suited to stopping the run which is one thing they arent good at.. converting freeney and mathis to LB's would automatially bulk up their LB core... they can always switch them out or put freeney and mathis back on the ground in obvious passing situations or different packages... the only thing the colts lack for a 3-4 is DT's and thats about it.

Agreed the 4-3 can be AS effective compared to the 3-4 but for the colts it would benefit them because then they would be much better suited to stopping the run which is one thing they arent good at.. converting freeney and mathis to LB's would automatially bulk up their LB core... they can always switch them out or put freeney and mathis back on the ground in obvious passing situations or different packages... the only thing the colts lack for a 3-4 is DT's and thats about it.

DTs are a HUGE part of the picture, though...and you cant just throw Freeney and Mathis back as LBers and expect them to be good there...after spending a long career as a DE, Freeney may not adjust very well. Mathis i could see doing ok at LB, along with Hughes even...but i just think Freeney is better suited to remain at DE...if we were to switch to a 3-4, we would be better off by NOT resigning Mathis and possibly even cutting Freeney and his $19million cap hit...that would free up the $$ to get the players we NEED for that type of D....i think Nevis would make a good outside DT in a 3-4 but in my opinion we would still need another DT and a NT

The longer this plays out, the more likely it looks like we will keep the worst head coach in the NFL, and the worst coaching staff in place. Our players deserve better.

I agree and its truely pathetic. I keep hoping Irsay and Grigson will have an epiphany and realize that Caldwell is a joke and get somebody here that can lead this team back to greatness.

I agree and its truely pathetic. I keep hoping Irsay and Grigson will have an epiphany and realize that Caldwell is a joke and get somebody here that can lead this team back to greatness.

He has 1 year left on his contract. Irsay has wasted money before. Why not waste a little to have Caldwell sit at home and practice his timeout techniques with his wife. Heck, hook him up with a PS3 & Madden so he can practice his decision making, so maybe he can improve for his next job at whatever High School will take him.

With one year left, you have to ask if he's worthy of an extension. Of course not. It's 4th & long... Time for Irsay to Punt.

He has 1 year left on his contract. Irsay has wasted money before. Why not waste a little to have Caldwell sit at home and practice his timeout techniques with his wife. Heck, hook him up with a PS3 & Madden so he can practice his decision making, so maybe he can improve for his next job at whatever High School will take him.

With one year left, you have to ask if he's worthy of an extension. Of course not. It's 4th & long... Time for Irsay to Punt.

This was my point I was trying to make with another poster yesterday. Why wait another yr. to invoke the inevitable? There is no way Caldwell is deserving of an extension and Irsay has already fired his longtime team Pres. and GM and hired a fairly green new GM, so why not just continue the makeover and get rid of Caldwell now instead of having, yet, another offseason of change next yr.? The time for change.....is now, and not later.

If Caldwell stays, keep in mind that's "if", I think we need to bring in a new D-coordinator and obviously a special teams coach. Spags would be a great choice, if you ask me. He really knows how to make a 4-3 defense run. As for special teams coach, I'm not 100% sure.

While I don't want Caldwell back next year, I can't help but feel that Polian was controlling him a lot. Maybe not that Polian is gone, Caldwell will be able to show what he's really got as a head coach. Again, I would rather see us get a different head coach, but if he were to stay, I would be interested to see how it goes without Polian controlling everything

Colts defense was really good with Booger Mcfarland and Corey Simons. We need some big guys that can plug up the middle and collapse opposing offensive lines to help put pressure on the quarterback or stop the run and even cause turnovers. And I think Caldwell will be fired, at least I hope so.

Don't forget the SS position. When we had a healthy Bob or a healthy Bullitt, the defense played very well. With the guys we have at DT (AJ, Nevis, Foster?), I would think SS is a bigger need than DT

This was my point I was trying to make with another poster yesterday. Why wait another yr. to invoke the inevitable? There is no way Caldwell is deserving of an extension and Irsay has already fired his longtime team Pres. and GM and hired a fairly green new GM, so why not just continue the makeover and get rid of Caldwell now instead of having, yet, another offseason of change next yr.? The time for change.....is now, and not later.

It's been time. He should have never been hired to start with.

If Caldwell stays, keep in mind that's "if", I think we need to bring in a new D-coordinator and obviously a special teams coach. Spags would be a great choice, if you ask me. He really knows how to make a 4-3 defense run. As for special teams coach, I'm not 100% sure.

While I don't want Caldwell back next year, I can't help but feel that Polian was controlling him a lot. Maybe not that Polian is gone, Caldwell will be able to show what he's really got as a head coach. Again, I would rather see us get a different head coach, but if he were to stay, I would be interested to see how it goes without Polian controlling everything

Fair points about Polian controlling him, but it is hard to respect someone that allows it to happen.

What's he going to do fire him for going 15-0 as opposed to pulling the starters?

I've seen enough of him that I don't care to see what he's got on his own with the strings cut. The sad thing about it is if Manning comes back leads us to 10-12 wins again, its going to look like keeping Caldwell was the right choice. We win in-spite of him. I want a coach to push the franchise forward and not hold it back.

There is a fair chance we will not have these 2 "Best in the Business" DE's next year, so that may cause some re-thinking....or maybe it's the other way round...??

Didn't Irsay give Grigson until this upcoming Wednesday to make a decision about Caldwell? I imagine he's not only going to meet with the man several times by then, but also learn his philosophy, ask him about the off-season and next year, as well as conduct some preliminary scouting among the coaches available.

If Grigson is anything as the initial impressions have suggested, he will take his time and make the right call. Just firing people doesn't make sense when there could be so many other factors to consider.

DTs are a HUGE part of the picture, though...and you cant just throw Freeney and Mathis back as LBers and expect them to be good there...after spending a long career as a DE, Freeney may not adjust very well. Mathis i could see doing ok at LB, along with Hughes even...but i just think Freeney is better suited to remain at DE...if we were to switch to a 3-4, we would be better off by NOT resigning Mathis and possibly even cutting Freeney and his $19million cap hit...that would free up the $$ to get the players we NEED for that type of D....i think Nevis would make a good outside DT in a 3-4 but in my opinion we would still need another DT and a NT

They aren't only a huge part they are the main reason a 3-4 works or not. Ours are small for a 4-3 let alone a 3-4. Unless we get a monster DT in this draft it's going to be really hard to go to a 3-4 this off-season.

If Caldwell stays I wouldn't be shocked to see Tom Bradley given a sniff for some kinda coaching job with us if not the DC job. Caldwell has ties to Penn State and Bradley proved to be a good DC there.

I hope whoever we bring in has some kinda former head coaching experience because I think the defense is pretty much intrusted to them under Caldwell because Caldwell is more of an offensive guy. Again IF and that's a huge if right now Caldwell stays.

Don't forget the SS position. When we had a healthy Bob or a healthy Bullitt, the defense played very well. With the guys we have at DT (AJ, Nevis, Foster?), I would think SS is a bigger need than DT

I'm not sure but I have read some analysts views; the new NFL rules may have an adverse affect on the SS position and lessen the impact a SS can have in a game.

Polian here or not; What doe that have to do with Cadlwell having to stay? He's same person coaching on the field-Polian not holding his hand or making game decsisons- Caldwell will be the same bust even without Polian watching from the press box like before. I so agree with those post that Caldwell will be gone next season unless Irsay is blinded to his skills and gives him another extendion- The time for NEW ERA overhaul is NOW! A new GM is nice bit not earth shattering unless he does a Raider Reggie move.

Colts defense was really good with Booger Mcfarland and Corey Simons. We need some big guys that can plug up the middle and collapse opposing offensive lines to help put pressure on the quarterback or stop the run and even cause turnovers. And I think Caldwell will be fired, at least I hope so.

Colts defense was really good with Booger Mcfarland and Corey Simon. We need some big guys that can plug up the middle and collapse opposing offensive lines to help put pressure on the quarterback or stop the run and even cause turnovers. And I think Caldwell will be fired, at least I hope so.

I agree ..we need big DT's that will take double teams which frees up Freeney and Mathis !!!....We need another "booger" or "simon" but we need healthy ones !!!! If we have that our secondary will look a lot better and we already have a solid linebacking corps !! but the soft cover 2 has to go, how about a blitzing cover 2 ??? it seemed to work when Coyer first got here and then it went away.

I disagree about Mathis or Freeney not benefiting from the change, take a look at Mario Williams and how he did in his first year of the 3-4... there has even been talk of Mathis going to SD and play for the chargers which plays the 3-4... most of the times both freeney and mathis would be blitzing the QB.

As lovely as that all sounds to me the colts dont look like they would make that big of a 180 but i expect them to drop the cover 2 and probably go for a base 4-3.. which would be much much better.

Not sure how accurate this is, but read it and weep, I know I did...

http://naptownsfines...turns-to-colts/

Jake Query is trying to copy what he did when he said the new GM would be named by the middle of the week. I am not sure if it's just a guess on his part (which he has been known to do) or if he really has an inside source telling him that. Either way I would wait to see if we have another source that says it beyond just him. Not that I am saying he is wrong.

Jake Query is trying to copy what he did when he said the new GM would be named by the middle of the week. I am not sure if it's just a guess on his part (which he has been known to do) or if he really has an inside source telling him that. Either way I would wait to see if we have another source that says it beyond just him. Not that I am saying he is wrong.

I hope it's not true, but if Manning "IS" coming back to Indy then I can totally see JC back. Problem is they will draft Andrew L and lose a lot of FA's that just simply will not be "capable" of resigning.

If this happens then I will really be disappointed. The Colts with Manning next season and the current roster are probably a playoff team but nothing more. I just can't believe Manning will want to end his career with an average team when he set his conctact up with an "OUT" .....

No Manning, No Caldwell. I am convinced it will happen.

I feel like throwing up on Caldwell, Irsay, and New Gm if report is true- No suprsies though, Perhaps Irsay hired new GM knowing Caldwell gets to stay, and perhaps other GM contenders wanted him out. I mean, ZOMBIES show more life then caldwell will ever exhibit.

I disagree about Mathis or Freeney not benefiting from the change, take a look at Mario Williams and how he did in his first year of the 3-4... there has even been talk of Mathis going to SD and play for the chargers which plays the 3-4... most of the times both freeney and mathis would be blitzing the QB.

As lovely as that all sounds to me the colts dont look like they would make that big of a 180 but i expect them to drop the cover 2 and probably go for a base 4-3.. which would be much much better.

Williams is a lot younger, too...and ive not heard any talk about Mathis going to SD...and if you read what i posted, i said that i could see Mathis doing it, but NOT Freeney...and i stand by that. We would be better suited, with the players we have now, to stick with the 4-3 and drop the cover 2

Williams is a lot younger, too...and ive not heard any talk about Mathis going to SD...and if you read what i posted, i said that i could see Mathis doing it, but NOT Freeney...and i stand by that. We would be better suited, with the players we have now, to stick with the 4-3 and drop the cover 2

Its not about age, Williams is almost 20 pounds heavier than freeney and he's much taller yet freeney is faster than mario... but they asked mathis if there is any chance of him going to SD and he said anythings possible.. that doesnt mean that it will happen but its there... as or freeney i think he would be suited for the 3-4... however the 4-3 is as effective WITH the right players... which the colts do not have....

What the colts need is come good DT's they already have one in Nevis