Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agents - Who Stays, Who goes

AmberDerrow

Here's my opinion:

Who I think (strongly) should stay:

(1) Vinatieri -- just had one of the best years of his career, we all saw how important a kicker is in the Pats/Broncos game

Who I'd like to see stay:

(1) Dwight Lowery -- i thought he played very well last year -- besides Adams and hopefully Geathers, I don't think we have any real starting caliber safeties on our team (Anderson is OK at safety, but I think he's best as a STer with a role as a back-up S, plus he's a FA) -- I wouldn't mind seeing us go after someone in the draft or FA as I think this is a position we can both get younger at and improve competition at

(2) Billy Winn -- I thought Winn looked pretty darn good before he got hurt.  He should be cheap

(3) Jerrell Freeman -- he played well last year.  I just hope the price is right.  I'd say let him walk if he's demanding too much, let another team over pay him.

(4) Dwayne Allen/Coby Fleener -- Again, if the price is right.  I think both are capable of being pretty good players in this league, but don't want to see us break the bank on either.  I'd also like for Chud, Pagano and the new offensive coaches to figure out how TEs are going to play a role in our offense -- like Allen said, he is probably too good/versatile to be pigeon-holed into a strictly blocking role.  If all they see Allen as is a blocker, I'd rather bring back Fleener as he should be able to help stretch the field with a healthy Luck and our speedy young WRs -- Jack Doyle can block just fine.  Fleener has also stayed healthy, whereas Allen seems like an injury risk.

Who I'm indifferent about:

(1) Hasselbeck -- I like him a lot.  I respect the heck out of what he did this past season.  However, I'm not sure he'll be able to stay healthy if we need to count on him as the long term starter.  Plus, I thought Freeman/Lindley both played pretty well in the last game -- they're younger and probably cheaper and just as, or near as, able as Hasselbeck.  If Hasselbeck wants to come back, and if the price is right, I'd be fine seeing him in training camp next year, but I'd be just as fine not.

(2) Colt Anderson -- Good STer, OK as a back-up safety.  I'd like to see us get younger at the position, so not resigning a 31 year old would be fine with me.

(3) Allen/Fleener -- If we keep one, I don't know that it's worth the price to keep the other.  I won't be sad to see them both stay, or to just see one of them stay.  If we don't keep at least one, we'll have to address TE in the draft or through FA.

Who I'd like to see go:

(1) Greg Toler -- he'll be too expensive to be a subpar 2nd CB.  IMO we need to either go after a younger, more talented (and healthier) CB in FA or go spring on one or 2 early in the draft. 

(2) Lance Louis -- We need to improve the OL, and Louis isn't part of that picture.

(3) Charlie Whitehurst -- I think Freeman/Lindley/Hasselbeck are all better options than clip-board Jesus.

(4) Ahmad Bradshaw -- Dude is good when he can stay healthy, which is never.  The only way I'd want us to waste the time bringing him back is if we get a mid-season injury and sign him off the street.

Just now, bababooey said:

Not a FA but since Andre Johnson gear is currently 50% off on the Colts website I think he's gone.

Excellent indicator!  These days, I wouldn't be surprised if people are tracking their home sales or if they let their leases lapse.

Let Allen walk, sign Fleener & Doyel. Draft or sign a TE for cheap. Cut Cole, Werner. If possible restructure Johnson & Jones's contracts if not cut Jones gives Johnson one full year with Andrew. I can bet you'll see progressive, sucks he's put on a team with a #1 receiver in his prime & Moncrief is blossoming quicker than expected. 

Art Jones should restructure his contract or get released as well.  He makes too much money to only play as little as he has in 2 seasons.  In the same category as Donald Thomas, Vick Ballard, and Ahmad Bradshaw now!  However, he probably makes more money than all of them combined.  I'm surprised all of them were given a third chance.  Thomas was cut during TC Ballard made it, but cut very early on, and Bradshaw got his 3rd chance and it ended the same way.  That being said SOMETHING has to change with Art...

Stay:

Fleener- He has steadily improved, year after year and deserves more credit than people give him. His numbers took a hit this year with the Implementation of this so called Power run scheme. Most importantly he stays Healthy unlike Allen. 

Lowery- He played decent and i think was a pretty good addition. I would keep him for Depth not necessarily as a starter. He isnt that force to be reckoned with in the run game and  he doesn't have the range to play single high. 

Vinny- No explanation needed. Mr Clutch still has plenty of boom left in that foot of his. 

Winn- He was a great rotational player, i loved what i saw from him before the injury.

Walk

Allen- Lets just face it, he cant stay healthy no reason to over pay for a guy who cant stay on the field. I think the Colts is one team that does that ALOT pay for guys to not play. We have to cut our losses and let him walk. 

Freeman- I love him, but he will command a pretty handsome contract and i for one think we need to get bigger at the ILB position. i say if we can get him for cheap keep him if not let him go,

Anderson- Special Teams guy i liked Dewey McDonald better

Hassellbeck- He played his best when asked to step in i think its time he retire in all honesty we can get another adequate vet. 

Louis- Didnt really do well easily we can upgrade here

Toler- A very aggressive corner his aggressiveness causes him to get beat way to often. Think its time to upgrade to someone more sound.

Bradshaw- i think its best he retire 

If Bradshaw still has legs he's on the team if it were up to me. We don't have the luxury of DeAngelo Williams, Matt Asiata, Jeremy Langford, Thomas Rawls, Ronnie Hillman type waiting in the wings in case Gore goes down. Can't be throwing Josh Robinson and Zurlon Tipton out there as a second string RB next year.

2 hours ago, bababooey said:

Not a FA but since Andre Johnson gear is currently 50% off on the Colts website I think he's gone.

I think it is more likely an indication of excess stock than anything else.  I kind of doubt the front office is chatting with sales staff at the Pro Shop.

29 minutes ago, bababooey said:

If Bradshaw still has legs he's on the team if it were up to me. We don't have the luxury of DeAngelo Williams, Matt Asiata, Jeremy Langford, Thomas Rawls, Ronnie Hillman type waiting in the wings in case Gore goes down. Can't be throwing Josh Robinson and Zurlon Tipton out there as a second string RB next year.

3 straight years on IR to say nothing of his injury history that he came to Indy with in the first place.  Plus he looked slow to me this year on those few games / carries he got..

Bradshaw is done.

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think it is more likely an indication of excess stock than anything else.  I kind of doubt the front office is chatting with sales staff at the Pro Shop.

Excess stock because he's gone, just want to get some out now before he is officially cut I think then it will just be marked down. It's currently 50% off with code: Johnson so it will prob be the same price but marked down with no code when he's cut.

10 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

3 straight years on IR to say nothing of his injury history that he came to Indy with in the first place.  Plus he looked slow to me this year on those few games / carries he got..

Bradshaw is done.

The entire team was horrible this year. He is the receiving RB and short yardage back we need. Unless we get Lamar Miller or Chris Ivory or draft a RB I don't see why we don't keep a hard nosed runner who knows the offense and can contribute.

10 minutes ago, bababooey said:

The entire team was horrible this year. He is the receiving RB and short yardage back we need. Unless we get Lamar Miller or Chris Ivory or draft a RB I don't see why we keep a hard nosed runner who knows the offense.

Because it's literally almost guaranteed that the only place you can keep Ahmad Bradshaw is IR. 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Excellent indicator!  These days, I wouldn't be surprised if people are tracking their home sales or if they let their leases lapse.

Gore just sold his Miami pad so I guess he thinks he is sticking around awhile

26 minutes ago, bababooey said:

The entire team was horrible this year. He is the receiving RB and short yardage back we need. Unless we get Lamar Miller or Chris Ivory or draft a RB I don't see why we don't keep a hard nosed runner who knows the offense and can contribute.

Let me say it again - because he keeps getting hurt.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Excess stock because he's gone, just want to get some out now before he is officially cut I think then it will just be marked down. It's currently 50% off with code: Johnson so it will prob be the same price but marked down with no code when he's cut.

In order for Johnson's jersey to be discounted because "he's gone", Ryan Grigson, or someone else in the Colts front office or coaching staff, would have to be discussing future roster moves with the people who maintain the pricing on the Colts website.  Do you really think that's what is happening?

Oh yeah. And we absolutely have to cut Andre Johnson and Trent Cole. And I would cut DQ and do something with Art Jones. Cut him or re-structure one. I would either cut or trade Werner. That would give us even more in cap space. we should have a field day in cuts this year. Harrison needs to be gone too.

2 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Stay:

Fleener- He has steadily improved, year after year and deserves more credit than people give him. His numbers took a hit this year with the Implementation of this so called Power run scheme. Most importantly he stays Healthy unlike Allen. 

Lowery- He played decent and i think was a pretty good addition. I would keep him for Depth not necessarily as a starter. He isnt that force to be reckoned with in the run game and  he doesn't have the range to play single high. 

Vinny- No explanation needed. Mr Clutch still has plenty of boom left in that foot of his. 

Winn- He was a great rotational player, i loved what i saw from him before the injury.

Walk

Allen- Lets just face it, he cant stay healthy no reason to over pay for a guy who cant stay on the field. I think the Colts is one team that does that ALOT pay for guys to not play. We have to cut our losses and let him walk. 

Freeman- I love him, but he will command a pretty handsome contract and i for one think we need to get bigger at the ILB position. i say if we can get him for cheap keep him if not let him go,

Anderson- Special Teams guy i liked Dewey McDonald better

Hassellbeck- He played his best when asked to step in i think its time he retire in all honesty we can get another adequate vet. 

Louis- Didnt really do well easily we can upgrade here

Toler- A very aggressive corner his aggressiveness causes him to get beat way to often. Think its time to upgrade to someone more sound.

Bradshaw- i think its best he retire 

Free is better than DQ. We could just cut DQ and basically just give his contract to Free. Then I'm good with sio Moore starting next to him. Sio was really good his rookie year, then had injury issues in his 2nd season. He's a very good ILB.

26 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

In order for Johnson's jersey to be discounted because "he's gone", Ryan Grigson, or someone else in the Colts front office or coaching staff, would have to be discussing future roster moves with the people who maintain the pricing on the Colts website.  Do you really think that's what is happening?

Nay, the people in the front office don`t talk to the marketing people. Just wouldn`t happen.
 Except when they do on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

I'm very much expecting Josh Robinson to get a larger workload next year. People want to jump all over a player just because he does not produce big from day 1....He only had 17 carries all season long

He is 10 times worse than even Delone Carter was fumbling..I don't like Josh Robinson...at all. JMO.

44 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Free is better than DQ. We could just cut DQ and basically just give his contract to Free. Then I'm good with sio Moore starting next to him. Sio was really good his rookie year, then had injury issues in his 2nd season. He's a very good ILB.

I tend to disagree about Free being better than DQ.  My problem with both of them is they are both better suited to stop the run (I think DQ is stronger here) and neither is very good against the pass (I'd give Freeman a slight edge here).  

They are both on the wrong side of 30 and Freeman is going to be commanding a contract similar to (possibly greater than) DQ's. 

I wouldn't mind at all if we resign Freeman, especially because we have other  pressing needs we have to address (pass rush/OLB , OL, 2nd CB, DL) this offseason.  However, it is about time we start seriously consider getting younger at this position and getting an ILB who is very good against the pass.

As for Sio -- I'm optimistic about him, but he did basically nothing last year to show he was back to pre-injury form (wasn't really given a chance, maybe because he didn't deserve one?).  I'd be pretty nervous going into next pre-season with him penciled in as a starter.  He was good, then got injured -- I think declaring him a 'very good' linebacker is very premature.

1 minute ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I tend to disagree about Free being better than DQ.  My problem with both of them is they are both better suited to stop the run (I think DQ is stronger here) and neither is very good against the pass (I'd give Freeman a slight edge here).  

They are both on the wrong side of 30 and Freeman is going to be commanding a contract similar to (possibly greater than) DQ's. 

I wouldn't mind at all if we resign Freeman, especially because we have other more pressing needs we have to address (pass rush/OLB , OL, 2nd CB, DL) this offseason.  However, it is about time we start seriously consider getting younger at this position and getting an ILB who is very good against the pass.

I for one would have no problem with our first round pick in the upcoming draft going to a playmaking ILB should one still be on the board.

Just now, Jason_S said:

I for one would have no problem with our first round pick in the upcoming draft going to a playmaking ILB should one still be on the board.

I agree -- I just edited that post so it says when we have 'other pressing needs' instead of 'more pressing needs'.

So long as our first pick isn't a CB, K, P, QB, TE, or WR -- I'll be pretty happy (I hope it's not an RB either).

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

you realize he only had 1 fumble right? Every Running Back fumbles now and then

IF he is retained, you know I will root for him, but he was too slow for the speed of the NFL.  Maybe he can get up to speed.

Gore was a fumbling, no pass catching old running back at times too. :)  Frustrating were the running backs this year.

40 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I agree -- I just edited that post so it says when we have 'other pressing needs' instead of 'more pressing needs'.

So long as our first pick isn't a CB, K, P, QB, TE, or WR -- I'll be pretty happy (I hope it's not an RB either).

Who was that running back that played a few snaps last game of the year ? He looked explosive in the few snaps he got .

52 minutes ago, Jason_S said:/

Myles Jack would be ideal, but he'll be gone. Jaylon Smith is probably the only possibility. did you have another guy in mind?

29 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Myles Jack would be ideal, but he'll be gone. Jaylon Smith is probably the only possibility. did you have another guy in mind?

I don't have anyone specific in mind as of yet...haven't really watched any video of any of the ILBs yet.  But I plan to check out the 2 you mentioned as well as Reggie Ragland and probably a few others.

Re-sign:

Dwayne Allen (The TE draft and free agent class is pretty weak. Need to re-sign both for short deals.)

Coby Fleener ^

Jerrell Freeman (Wouldn't sign him to a long term deal. Maybe 2 or 3 years.)

Adam Vinatieri (I would keep re-signing him until he sucks, which has yet to be seen.)

Colt Anderson (One of our best special teams players and wasn't horrible when he played backup safety).

Let go/walk:

Ahmad Bradshaw (Injury prone. Time to let go)

Matt Hasselbeck (Hasselbeck might be one of my favorite Colts, but he's 41. Not sure he'll be playing.)

Lance Louis (Just not a good guard.)

Dwight Lowery (Just thought he was mediocre. Wouldn't mind re-signing him only if he's not starting.)

Greg Toler (Constantly abused and gets flagged for holding/illegal contact a lot.)

Charlie Whitehurst (Liked what I saw from Lindley and Freeman.)

Billy Winn (Was reported he was late to practice a few times. Don't like his character plus we already have solid depth.)

2 hours ago, B~Town said:

Who was that running back that played a few snaps last game of the year ? He looked explosive in the few snaps he got .

Trey Williams or Boom?

I don't think I'd count on either to be our solution at RB.  I have seen a few mocks show us taking Elliot (RB Ohio State) in Round 1.   I won't be totally against it if we do that, but I just hope we don't.

It has been shown pretty consistently in recent years that you don't need a round 1 RB to have a good running game.  There are a few studs in the league, but most teams that have a good running game have a good line and an RB that could play in many systems with a good line.  Very few RBs in this league, if any (A. Peterson may be the only one I'd argue) can be successful with a crappy offensive line.

I'd much rather see us fix the OL before we start looking for 'big name' RBs.  I think Gore will have another good year or 2 in him if we fix the OL and we can have a decent running game without breaking the bank or going very high in the draft with one this year..  just IMO though.