Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Noah Spence -- Eastern Kentucky, EDGE

http://thedraftwire.usatoday.com/2016/01/05/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-eastern-kentucky-edge-noah-spence/

Strengths

Well-muscled, compact frame (very well built)

Excellent bend and lower body flexibility to win the edge

Explosive, light feet that adeptly dance around blockers (when he's feeling it, he freezes blockers)

Top-notch hand usage to swat punches (inconsistent, but deadly when he's on)

Well-developed upper body pass rush moves, will swim, club and rip to overcome blockers

Physical defender with a strong punch to knock linemen off balance (blockers really feel it when he lands his hands; fires too high at times, taking too many steps to even engage blockers)

Consistently utilizes inside counter moves when tackles overset (has ability, I didn't see it enough)

Active feet to shut down rushing lanes and re-route backs (gets caught in the trash a lot)

Rarely pushed around at point of attack, holds ground with strong frame and good leverage (has some speed to power, but sometimes gets off balance and nullifies his get-off and leverage)

Good hand placement to keep defenders from getting inside his frame (true, but inconsistent, IMO)

Targets the ball as a pass rusher, quick hands to strip (yes!)

Excellent motor all over the field, will pursue plays away from him (one game he was clearly hurt but still tried to chase plays down)

Experience working from a two and three point stance (and left and right side, and sometimes lines up inside)

Has reportedly worked hard to stay clean, personally requests regular drug tests to keep himself accountable. Has vocally and visibly claimed responsibility for his past mistakes and comes highly recommended by those in authority over him

Weaknesses

Lacks ideal length for an edge defender ( I think he's long enough to play OLB)

Can time up his get-offs more consistently (jumped early three times in one game; they had him figured out)

Can be overly-aggressive in space and overrun tackles, ball carriers

Takes poor angles to the ball at times

Doesn’t read and diagnose, freelances and can get caught upfield too often

While strong for his size, won’t overwhelm linemen with his power

Struggles to get off blocks at times in the run game

Inexperienced dropping into coverage, didn’t do it in any of 3 EKU games I watched (dropped some at Ohio State as a soph, looked decent enough, has good feet and sufficiently loose hips)

Repeated drug issues forced the Big Ten to suspend Spence permanently, which led to his transfer

I'm not doing a full write-up on him because there's not enough for me on DB.com. I have something of a feel for him, but I see some inconsistencies in his game, and it's impossible to figure out what he's really about without watching more games. But my notes are in parentheses, and I've bolded the things I really agree with, and striked the things I really disagree with. 

Same article linked calls him the best pure edge rusher in the draft. I haven't watched enough, but I hope that's not true. I think Spence is very raw, has some intriguing athletic ability, but also has some holes to his game. I didn't see any consistent pass rush moves, and he's more prone to try to avoid the blocker than beat the blocker, but he does have some top traits -- burst, bend, wiggle, change of direction, etc. I think he needs a lot of development, and I can't see him being a first rounder based on the games I watched.

That's all before you get to the drug stuff, which isn't really that concerning to me. I'd put him in the drug protocol from jump (not sure if that's up to the team or not), but he seems to have grown up since getting kicked out of the B1G. 

I'd give him a second round grade right now. He reminds me of a better Jonathan Newsome. He has more power and is better setting the edge, but similarly unrefined as a pass rusher, despite having some impressive burst and bend. He gets around blockers the same way Newsome does. His best tape is against Valparaiso (shining against lesser comp, like Newsome did). Assuming he goes to the Combine, he'll probably do well, and that will probably solidify his draft stock as a top 50 guy. 

Definitely a scheme fit for the Colts.

I know some of you really like Spence, so tell me what I'm missing.

(At right end) Makes a blocker whiff http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258733&gif=DesertedImpassionedApatosaur

Takes seven steps before he even engages the blocker,and by then the ball is gone http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258733&gif=PracticalBlondKestrel

Outworks his man to shed and make a ridiculous stop (his feet never stop moving, and he has the upper body strength to get press, then explodes into the ball carrier) http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258081&gif=SpeedyCornyGoldfish

Beats his man back inside when he oversets (still takes a couple extra steps and can't influence the throw) http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258081&gif=FeminineSociableAnophelesmosquito

Great feet and hands to beat his man, but overruns the ball carrier http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258081&gif=SphericalEnragedCrownofthornsstarfish

Sets perfect depth into backfield, then gets around blocker and bursts into the ball carrier http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258081&gif=WickedPoisedGemsbuck

Stunt on em! http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258081&gif=HeavyWarpedGalapagoshawk

Illegal chop block for sure http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=258081&gif=DiligentInformalAntlion

Here is the early write-up for Spence from former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah.    He has Spence ranked 31st in his latest Top-50.

Spence transferred to Eastern Kentucky after being banned from the Big Ten. He lines up at DE in their 3-4 scheme. Against the run, he plays with good leverage and strength at the point of attack but he needs to improve his ability to shed blocks. He has the speed and motor to make plays in chase from the back side. He is an outstanding pass rusher. He can win with speed, power or counter moves. He isn't a natural bender around the edge but he has violent hands and an explosive closing burst. He has been very productive this season despite facing consistent double and even triple teams. Overall, Spence has some off-field concerns that need to be addressed but he has tremendous upside as a pass rusher.

And here is the profile of Spence from NFL.com's Lance Zierlein.   He evaluates talent for the Network.   He has Spence 53rd....

STRENGTHS

Plays with a big motor and tremendous endurance. Had 8 sack season as a sophomore at Ohio State. Plays at same speed throughout the game. Good upfield burst. Has played with hand in the ground and standing. Won't give away leverage by engaging too early in pass rush. Has solid speed to the edge with a strong rip move at the top of his rush to turn the corner. Takes good angles around the rush arc. Quick lateral slide down the line to restrict running lanes. Plays with a sense of desperation when the ball is in his area. Eludes lead blockers and cut ­blocks. Pursues around the field looking to scoop up tackles. Dominated his level of competition with 11.5 sacks, 22.5 tackles for loss and 63 tackles over 11 games. Scouts call him an intelligent person and player.Has had success fighting through adversity and has renewed sense of urgency on and off the field. Accountable. Former head coach, Urban Meyer, helped get Spence a second chance because he believes Spence is high character but made mistakes.

WEAKNESSES

Not as long or tall as teams like at defensive end. Needs to develop more strength at point of attack. Can be bumped of his grass and widened out against run. Average hand usage against the run. Doesn't play with violent punch and control at point of attack. Didn't vary pass rush approach much and just average with speed ­to ­power. Ability to win on high side will be countered by NFL tackles. Will have to develop a counter underneath. Good athlete, but not great twitch for sudden change of direction. At times is too easy to find for blockers. Treated for drug addiction and banned for life from Big Ten after failed drug tests for Ecstacy in 2013 and 2014. Arrested in May of 2015 for alcohol intoxication and second­-degree disorderly conduct, but incident was expunged from record after community service.

NFL COMPARISON

Whitney Mercilus

BOTTOM LINE

His issues are well­documented, but his recovery and turnaround is what has NFL teams excited. Spence has

been accountable for his actions and worked just as hard off the field as he has on the field to change his life and attack his problems. His inability to hold the point of attack combine with his ability to rush the passer make him a logical choice as a 3-­4 rush linebacker. The speed of the game make take a year or two to get used to, but Spence should become a starter early in his career.

I have liked Ngakoue more than any of these pass rushers that people have slated to be selected in the first round and I don't even think Ngakoue is going in the first round. He has good numbers, I can see the speed and flexibility on tape, solid against the run and pass. Also he is not a finished product so there's room to grow even more.

If it went that way I would be cool with something like Scooby Wright in the first and Ngakoue in the second round. Wright is a ILB but is also very capable of bringing heat as a pass rusher. From there I think you add DL, OL, and CB between rounds 3-5.

If he's there in the second I think he needs to get a hard look. Had he stayed at Ohio State, he would have been much further along than he is now. He's got a high ceiling, he's just going to need a little time to reach it. He would be an excellent replacement for Walden after next year. He's got the size and ability to set the edge, but he's also got the ability to be a FAR better pass rusher than Walden as well.

It would be nice to have a pass rushing threat from the SAM spot without having to rotate guys in and out. Spence would be an every down guy.

His strengths obviously outweigh his weaknesses. Speed, durability, strength. Would really like to see a game-changer at OLB. If Spence has those attributes according to our people, I'm all for it.

Your write-up is geared towards liking. The drug problem concerns me from the past. But, he seems to have overcome. 

I've stated my opinion on two pivitol positions defensively. OLB & ILB. The battery for any very good to great defense IMO. If the Colts can nail these, it's a tremendous start. I don't pretend to be an excellent evaluator of NFL talent & never will. However, I know game-changers when I see them. My question is simple. Is this guy one of those? 

Thoughts? Anyone? 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

If it went that way I would be cool with something like Scooby Wright in the first and Ngakoue in the second round. Wright is a ILB but is also very capable of bringing heat as a pass rusher. From there I think you add DL, OL, and CB between rounds 3-5.

I like your thinking here Krunk. Scooby isn't an elite athlete at all,but his motor and his instincts are fantastic and he plays so fast. You mention D line too, what are your thoughts on Chris Jones from Miss State? He's a guy I'm really starting to like. 

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Ngakoue has beaten people like Conklin, Taylor Decker, and Brandon Scherff.

He had Scherff on skates 2 yrs ago. I too really like Ngakoue I didn't watch the Terps as much this year. Ngakoue could climb quickly if he has a good combine. I think we can get him in the 3rd. I haven't seen anyone that has him going in the first 2 rounds. 

Another guy I really like who isn't getting much attention right now is CB Russell from ND. I think he will shoot up boards at the combine. 

7 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

I like your thinking here Krunk. Scooby isn't an elite athlete at all,but his motor and his instincts are fantastic and he plays so fast. You mention D line too, what are your thoughts on Chris Jones from Miss State? He's a guy I'm really starting to like. 

I haven't watched him yet but I will. To be honest I haven't watched anyone on the D line yet outside of maybe Shaq Lawson who I think could be moved to the interior as well as playing on the strong side. He is a Pernell Mcfee type of player to me. Grigson loves guys who can play duel roles. Another reason I listed Scooby Wright because he could honestly play OLB as well as ILB. Just in my early looks if I could realistically get Ngakoue in the 3rd I would go with Wright in the first, Lawson in the 2nd. Add 2 OL in the 4th and 5th. 2 defensive players in the 6th and 7th. I will look at your guy for sure as I am still getting familiar.

47 minutes ago, krunk said:

I haven't watched him yet but I will. To be honest I haven't watched anyone on the D line yet outside of maybe Shaq Lawson who I think could be moved to the interior as well as playing on the strong side. He is a Pernell Mcfee type of player to me. Grigson loves guys who can play duel roles. Another reason I listed Scooby Wright because he could honestly play OLB as well as ILB. Just in my early looks if I could realistically get Ngakoue in the 3rd I would go with Wright in the first, Lawson in the 2nd. Add 2 OL in the 4th and 5th. 2 defensive players in the 6th and 7th. I will look at your guy for sure as I am still getting familiar.

Just my opinion but I see Lawson as a 1st round impact player and Wright as a 3-4 roundER.

Watched some tape on Jones and he's strong but not impressive at all to me.

1 hour ago, JRnINDY said:

Just my opinion but I see Lawson as a 1st round impact player and Wright as a 3-4 roundER.

Watched some tape on Jones and he's strong but not impressive at all to me.

Lawson very well could go in the first. I've seen projections between 1 and 2.

With all of the prospects, I still don't believe he is a top-32 guy, but I do believe, and have said on here, if he is fully healthy from his foot/knee injuries from last year he will impress people at the Combine and could wind up being a high 2nd rounder. Apparently he's already doing it at the Senior Bowl. The kid is more athletic than he's been given credit for. It will mainly come down to how teams will want to use him and that will affect how teams rank him on their board.

1 minute ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I thought he was talking about Scooby since it was after your post..  If it is Spence then game on..

I don't think Scooby is playing in the Senior Bowl.  I did a google search and people have been praising Spence for doing well in Senior Bowl practices.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I don't think Scooby is playing in the Senior Bowl.  I did a google search and people have been praising Spence for doing well in Senior Bowl practices.

Ahh ok... well my post is completely irrelevant on him now haha

I think we need to take a hard look at Spence if Jaylon Smith is off the board by then. He would be an excellent replacement to either of OLB positions.