Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Need defensive athletes with star potential

ThorstenDenmark

When the Indianapolis Colts won the super bowl in 2007, we had defensive players with star potential and a great O-line. Cato June, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Tarrick Glenn, Gary Brackett and more.

Further more we had Peyton Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Addai, Rhodes and Dallas Clark just to mention a few

Right now... well we have Robert Mathis and Vontae Davis as our best defensive players. and out o-line sucks.

Andrew Luck, TY and well... not to be harsh, but thats pretty much it of great players.

What we really need is skill players and take a look at fx. the Carolina Panthers and their defensive players and their offence. Or the Arizona Cardinals. Both teams are loaded with both defensive players and offensive players who can make a difference. 

Out roster, is it balanced?

Hell no... on offence we have good players, but out d# and O-line really sucks.

I think we should bring in both a new GM and a new coaching staff to shake things up.

I love Pagano, and he is a nice coach, but we won't win any super bowls with him.

Fine to make it to the playoff, but if we keep loosing the big and important games, and still gets pounded by new england, and they would with or without Brady, then its time to move on.

We need a coach and a GM who can work together and where we draft players we need, and sign free agents with potential, not old left overs from other teams, like gore and the guy from the texans who was a big no show... are yes, andre johnson... thats was his name, andre johnson. Just forget his name due to his NO SHOW ALL YEAR LONG.

Pagano... well, he's a lovable coach, but we won't win any super bowls with him or the current roster.

Well it is... but we have drafted poorly the last two seasons, and forgot about our needs and not drafted any players who could protect Andrew Luck. 

Phillip Dorsett, well i like him, but we didnt need him, the same for Bjørn Werner. Both good players, but we didnt need them.

Grigson would probably draft another stud WR, DB or someone else this upcoming draft, instead of drafting players who could keep Andrew Luck safe. 

40 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Well it is... but we have drafted poorly the last two seasons, and forgot about our needs and not drafted any players who could protect Andrew Luck. 

Last two drafts have actually been okay.

#dontreachforneed

Just now, Superman said:

Last two drafts have actually been okay.

#dontreachforneed

Sort of agree.

Well, 2014 lead us to Mewhort and Moncrief. Both solid starters. Newsome had a lot of promise his rookie season, but regressed heavily. 

2015 provided us with Anderson and Parry. Both will be decent starters. D'Joun Smith  looks to be a bust so far and Dorsett hasn't really stood out as to being worthy of a first round pick.

43 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Phillip Dorsett, well i like him, but we didnt need him, the same for Bjørn Werner. Both good players, but we didnt need them.

Grigson would probably draft another stud WR, DB or someone else this upcoming draft, instead of drafting players who could keep Andrew Luck safe. 

Actually they did need a rush LB, the fact that Werner didn't pan out does not mean that the Colts didn't try to fill a need.  In fact, it could be argued that the Colts reached for Werner because of that need and therefore learned that it does not pay to reach for a need.

7 minutes ago, MTC said:

Sort of agree.

Well, 2014 lead us to Mewhort and Moncrief. Both solid starters. Newsome had a lot of promise his rookie season, but regressed heavily. 

2015 provided us with Anderson and Parry. Both will be decent starters. D'Joun Smith  looks to be a bust so far and Dorsett hasn't really stood out as to being worthy of a first round pick.

Anderson and Parry are going to be better than just decent starters. Anderson already is. He was borderline elite before he went down. He was a run stopping fool and when he gets better at getting to the QB then you're talking about a top 5 3-4 defensive end in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Anderson and Parry are going to be better than just decent starters. Anderson already is. He was borderline elite before he went down. He was a run stopping fool and when he gets better at getting to the QB then you're talking about a top 5 3-4 defensive end in the NFL.

I love Anderson, but he's not elite. Doesn't provide much pass rush. Parry has looked invisible without him.

21 minutes ago, MTC said:

Sort of agree.

Reggie Wayne was also a late first round pick and he didn't do anything his first few years to warrant picking him either back then but long term, it worked out quite well. I understand why Grigs went bpa but I sure wouldn't have been upset to see that altered to bpa that's in the realm of what we truly needed. But I'm not upset that we took the speedster. 

24 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Its like you don`t really know about the other DE`s. lol

24 minutes ago, MTC said:

If we want to be better on defense, we need to get rid of the old and start young.

That means removing Jackson, Freeman, Mathis (sorry), Cole, and Adams.

How about get rid of the bad? I don't care how old they are as long as they're productive.

26 minutes ago, MTC said:

If we want to be better on defense, we need to get rid of the old and start young.

That means removing Jackson, Freeman, Mathis (sorry), Cole, and Adams.

I don't think necessarily remove all of those players but they're the positions we need to find difference makers in.

I'd keep most of those players but also try to find young dynamic players in those areas to either push them on in terms of performance or force those guys into back up roles.

I really think we need to re-sign Freeman first. I'm okay with allowing Cole and Jackson to be cut. We definitely need to grab a Corner or OLB in the first round of the draft. This team definitely could use another play-making safety to be the future with Geathers.

We just need a defensive makeover.. it's that plain and simple.

57 minutes ago, MTC said:

Sort of agree.

Just my opinion but I believe the addition of Trent Cole stunted Newsome's growth. Took away snaps and practice reps.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Its like you don`t really know about the other DE`s. lol

No. I just think Anderson's going to be that good. He isn't gonna be Watt or Campbell or Wilkerson or anything. But he'll be right there in that next wave IMO. He was grading out as what? The 2nd or 3rd best 3-4DE in the league before he got hurt. I think he'll improve his pass rush and put up 4-5 a year.  He's going to be a star on our DL for the next several years. I mean he may have one defensive ROY if he hadn't went down.