Colts expected to make run for Saban or Payton

Dustin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

Can we stop with the "he quit on his team" crap.  You guys act like he was on the battlefield and went AWOL.  We don't know why he left...and frankly I don't care.

i think Saban is smart enough to realize he can't play SEC football in the NFL....especially when you have a QB like Luck.

Saban is not what we need we don't need a dictator to take us in the wrong direction 

14 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

Saban has said he does not wanna nor plan to leave Bama. He's very happy there. Saban isn't gonna happen.

Just saw that too and I'm relieved. I wouldn't want Saban as a HC anyway. He's built an awesome system at Bama, but I don't think he would have that kind of success at the NFL level. You can't recruit the biggest and best in the NFL.

1 hour ago, weslo1812 said:

Saban has said he does not wanna nor plan to leave Bama. He's very happy there. Saban isn't gonna happen.

I'm not on this big bandwagon to hire Saban but what else do people expect him to say while he is Still Currently Employed with ALABAMA and playing for the national championship? Do you guys really expect him to start talking about other jobs?

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

I posted numbers on the Dolphins run/pass ratio back on the 1st page of this thread from 2005/2006. He is hardly a coach that preaches run run run in my opinion. At least that's what the numbers show from his time with the Dolphins

That's only one aspect of smash mouth, phone booth football.

I honestly don't believe that Saban would be that bad of a hire.  Sure he had a bad go with the Dolphins but I would hope that he learned from his mistakes there.  I don't like the idea of Payton though.  The Saints will want draft picks and that's something we just can't afford to give up.  

5 hours ago, Superman said:

That's only one aspect of smash mouth, phone booth football.

Yes but a pretty big aspect though obviously not the only one or necessarily the biggest, When I posted the numbers I actually did not even take into account smash mouth football, I'd still like to see O Line coach Joe Gilbert shown the door I think. The O Line simply has to much talent that Gilbert is not tapping into and a huge reason is poor fundamentals, I'm also hoping for some better blocking schemes being implemented with whatever O Coordinator we have next year

6 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I honestly don't believe that Saban would be that bad of a hire.  Sure he had a bad go with the Dolphins but I would hope that he learned from his mistakes there.  I don't like the idea of Payton though.  The Saints will want draft picks and that's something we just can't afford to give up.  

The compensation doesn't have to be massive honestly. They (NO) have no leg to stand on knowing they could potentially have a coach who doesn't want to be there and he could just show up for the next two years and go through the motions (if they have that conversation, it means he's thought of jumping ship already). If I'm NO, I don't want a guy running my team who doesn't want to be there.

I'd think they'd take a fair compensation offer, no one sane would offer them 1st rounders for him.

Getting back on topic, he'd be fantastic for our O if we could somehow have a guy who could run the D without much help from Payton. Hypothetically speaking a Payton/Wade Phillips type deal I could totally understand.

6 hours ago, IinD said:

The compensation doesn't have to be massive honestly. They (NO) have no leg to stand on knowing they could potentially have a coach who doesn't want to be there and he could just show up for the next two years and go through the motions (if they have that conversation, it means he's thought of jumping ship already). If I'm NO, I don't want a guy running my team who doesn't want to be there.

I'd think they'd take a fair compensation offer, no one sane would offer them 1st rounders for him.

Getting back on topic, he'd be fantastic for our O if we could somehow have a guy who could run the D without much help from Payton. Hypothetically speaking a Payton/Wade Phillips type deal I could totally understand.

Just watching ESPN this morning.  Out of all of the coaching trades in the past, only a couple of them went for less than a 1st rounder.  Raiders gave up 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for Gruden.  The market will be high for Payton and it is not worth giving up picks for him when we have so many holes to fill.  

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Just watching ESPN this morning.  Out of all of the coaching trades in the past, only a couple of them went for less than a 1st rounder.  Raiders gave up 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for Gruden.  The market will be high for Payton and it is not worth giving up picks for him when we have so many holes to fill.  

The compensation would have been high about 4-5 yrs ago.  I don't see anyone giving up a 1 for Payton right now.

7 hours ago, BOTT said:

The compensation would have been high about 4-5 yrs ago.  I don't see anyone giving up a 1 for Payton right now.

That's my thinking. Even that 2nd rd compensation now floating around now is only what NO 'wants', but that doesn't mean they're going to get it.

Payton has all the power here. Stay and get paid while just going through the motions or tell management to take a particular offer that's best for his future. 

Can he refuse a trade? Not sure how it works with coaches and draft picks. Pretty sure he'd have to be on board or he can just say no thanks, I'll just show up and get paid the next two years and not stress about winning. Show up on Sunday and just finish this contract out.