Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts expected to make run for Saban or Payton

Dustin

6 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

He's been there for a very long time... he has been the guy with the power whereas Pagano has apparently been a straw man for Grigson... and I didn't say solely... but his record is his record in the end and he has Drew Brees... why would he be better with Luck? He's about the last person I would want of all the names I have heard as possibilities... plus we'd have to trade picks to get him as they're unlikely to just fire him and let him go for free? No thanks! 

Reading all these posts is like saying, "OK on Three we toss Pagano under the bus"  I'd say lets toss Grigson and give Pagano one more year with his coordinator picks to turn it around.  But then I'm just one lonely voice in the crowd.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

He's been there for a very long time... he has been the guy with the power whereas Pagano has apparently been a straw man for Grigson... and I didn't say solely... but his record is his record in the end and he has Drew Brees... why would he be better with Luck? He's about the last person I would want of all the names I have heard as possibilities... plus we'd have to trade picks to get him as they're unlikely to just fire him and let him go for free? No thanks! 

Fair enough.  No doubt Payton has more influence than Pagano.

That said, isn't it ironic that the market would assume compensation for such a poor coach?

College coaches almost never make it and Payton would be dumb cuz it would b no different then what this year is/was or any other year .....good offense (at times) and no defense  (the way saints always were). It's going to take a tough as nails guy with patience cuz this roster is a train wreck to say the least like it or not- not much good on defense to talk about except davis and parry/anderson. Offense has luck,hilton gore and maybe moncrief and that's it..

12 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Fair enough.  No doubt Payton has more influence than Pagano.

That said, isn't it ironic that the market would assume compensation for such a poor coach?

They know someone dumb enough to trade a #1 for Richardson and make the other bad trades we've made (minus Davis, which is like a broken clock being right twice a day) will give them something.  If they do it will further confirm the idiocy of Grigdon. 

12 minutes ago, colts_100nascar17fan said:

College coaches almost never make it and Payton would be dumb cuz it would b no different then what this year is/was or any other year .....good offense (at times) and no defense  (the way saints always were). It's going to take a tough as nails guy with patience cuz this roster is a train wreck to say the least like it or not- not much good on defense to talk about except davis and parry/anderson. Offense has luck,hilton gore and maybe moncrief and that's it..

I doubt the % of coordinators turning into successful head coaches is much different than college coaches.

Payton haven't been the same ever since he got suspended. I don't know if a fresh start will re energize him. As for college coaches coming to us....Out of all the college coaches I would pick Saban, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh, and Les Miles. I hope we get Bill Cowher or Josh McDaniels/Patricia as HC. I would prefer someone with a winning record. Payton just scare me little.  

2 minutes ago, James Harden said:

Payton haven't been the same ever since he got suspended. I don't know if a fresh start will re energize him. As for college coaches coming to us....Out of all the college coaches I would pick Saban, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh, and Les Miles. I hope we get Bill Cowher or Josh McDaniels/Patricia as HC. I would prefer someone with a winning record. Payton just scare me little.  

Meyer claimed an NFL team contacted him earlier this year hmmm,

3 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Who did they play in those 5 wins?

Texans-3rd best yards allowed per game (Twice)

Tampa Bay-9th best yards allowed average per game

Falcons-A very respectable 15th best yards allowed average

Jaguars-25th best (Bad....Twice)

Miami-27th best (Bad)

Steelers-23rd best

So a mixed bag but that's not the point, The point is Pagano was still winning with backup QB......As a matter of fact he is today with a QB whos been here 6 days

53 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Me either but I think this idea that Saban is just a college coach and suited just for that is silly at best

I don't think his preferred style of football is a good fit for the NFL anymore. But more relevant, I just don't think he wants to leave Alabama, especially if he doesn't have carte blanche. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't think his preferred style of football is a good fit for the NFL anymore. But more relevant, I just don't think he wants to leave Alabama, especially if he doesn't have carte blanche. 

I don't get what you mean by his preferred style. I also don't think he will leave Bama but I just don't buy that he cant coach in the NFL, He don't run gimmicky schemes

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Texans-3rd best yards allowed per game (Twice)

Tampa Bay-9th best yards allowed average per game

Falcons-A very respectable 15th best yards allowed average

Jaguars-25th best (Bad....Twice)

Miami-27th best (Bad)

Steelers-23rd best

So a mixed bag but that's not the point, The point is Pagano was still winning with backup QB......As a matter of fact he is today with a QB whos been here 6 days

Texans  8-7

TB         6-9

Falcons  8-7

Jags      5-10

Miami     5-10

Steelers 9-6

My stats are more sigificant

Just now, Gavin said:

I don't get what you mean by his preferred style. I also don't think he will leave Bama but I just don't buy that he cant coach in the NFL, He don't run gimmicky schemes

Smash mouth, phone booth football, ride your backs, limited QBing, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Texans  8-7

TB         6-9

Falcons  8-7

Jags      5-10

Miami     5-10

Steelers 9-6

My stats are more sigificant

Judging a HC based on wins and losses alone is silly, Many many factors go into wins and losses, Chief among them is players that make plays

6 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Judging a HC based on wins and losses alone is silly, Many many factors go into wins and losses, Chief among them is players that make plays

Like the fake punt play, the not going for it on 4th the stupid stupid challenges, getting blown out in the playoffs, getting blown in general....  yea  there are many factors

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

Smash mouth, phone booth football, ride your backs, limited QBing, etc. 

I posted numbers on the Dolphins run/pass ratio back on the 1st page of this thread from 2005/2006. He is hardly a coach that preaches run run run in my opinion. At least that's what the numbers show from his time with the Dolphins

6 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Like the fake punt play, the not going for it on 4th the stupid stupid challenges, getting blown out in the playoffs, getting blown in general....  yea  there are many factors

Now we are on the same page. Those are the type of decisions in my opinion why upper management apparently is ready to fire him

Hell No to Saban just no no no no no.  I wouldnt mind Payton I would really like to see what he would do with all of our weapons on Offense.  The one caveat is I would like to see a known entity as a DC someone who has been successful like Jim Schwartz maybe.  And of course Grigs gone which I would prefer we fire Grigs before Pagano I think Grigs is the architect of this disaster of a season.

Already been reading Saban said no the NFL so far. And why would he want to leave his mega millions and championships in college anyway?

As for Payton I think he gives the Saints his first shot and not us.

And if we keep Grigson I am going to bet our desirability rating to top coaches goes down a bit sadly.

24 minutes ago, Jules said:

Already been reading Saban said no the NFL so far. And why would he want to leave his mega millions and championships in college anyway?

As for Payton I think he gives the Saints his first shot and not us.

And if we keep Grigson I am going to bet our desirability rating to top coaches goes down a bit sadly.

Because he is very competitive and the NFL is the pinnacle of football.....where he can also make millions.

Pags - Luck - Chud are 1-0 in their only game together against the number one defense and probably the number one seed in the AFC.  Who knows what the Colts could have done if those 3 could have played out the remainder of the season together.  Players like Pags and play hard for him.  Saban is a baby and a quitter if he doesn't win.  Payton let bounty gate go on right under his nose.  Sorry, I'd rather have a quality human being like Pags than Sean.  What have the Saints done so well that the Colts haven't over the last 4 years?  Be careful what you wish for because I could see the Colts doing a lot worse than 8-8 with the hand they were dealt this year with a different coach.  Players could have easily quit on the season.  Irsay needs to sign Pags to a 1 year (make it or break it)  deal that Pags will hopefully accept, and demand Grigs fix the offense with combination of OL and RB's and at least see if we can get the Luck back on track next year.  Get rid of Grigs at the end of next year if he can't get the offense fixed this off season.

12 minutes ago, bigt said:

Pags - Luck - Chud are 1-0 in their only game together against the number one defense and probably the number one seed in the AFC.  Who knows what the Colts could have done if those 3 could have played out the remainder of the season together.  Players like Pags and play hard for him.  Saban is a baby and a quitter if he doesn't win.  Payton let bounty gate go on right under his nose.  Sorry, I'd rather have a quality human being like Pags than Sean.  What have the Saints done so well that the Colts haven't over the last 4 years?  Be careful what you wish for because I could see the Colts doing a lot worse than 8-8 with the hand they were dealt this year with a different coach.  Players could have easily quit on the season.  Irsay needs to sign Pags to a 1 year (make it or break it)  deal that Pags will hopefully accept, and demand Grigs fix the offense with combination of OL and RB's and at least see if we can get the Luck back on track next year.  Get rid of Grigs at the end of next year if he can't get the offense fixed this off season.

Absolutely no chance we go through another year with Grigs AND Pagano AND have them both on lame duck years. Did you not get enough of this crap this year?