Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A New Gm Takes Action:mckenzie To Clean House

JColts72

For what is worth, ESPN reports Mckenzie fires coach and plans to clean house- It would be nice, whoever the new GM is for the Colts will do the same and not be passive about keeping the same coaching staff.

Telesco will not clean house. I firmly believe they have fired all that will be. Caldwell knows he is staying or he surely would have resigned. He has got to have some pride or he is clinging to the only nfl HC position he will ever sniff. If my boss told me my performance was being carefully evaluated and may not be safe. I would man up and seek employment elsewhere not flop for weeks like a dying fish.

Telesco will not clean house. I firmly believe they have fired all that will be. Caldwell knows he is staying or he surely would have resigned. He has got to have some pride or he is clinging to the only nfl HC position he will ever sniff. If my boss told me my performance was being carefully evaluated and may not be safe. I would man up and seek employment elsewhere not flop for weeks like a dying fish.

I think letting the abuse roll off your back, honoring your contract, and trying to do your job to the best of your abilities is "Manning Up". If my boss told me that my performance was being evaluated and that that I may not be safe, I would get angry, redouble my efforts, and prove him wrong. Seeking employment elsewhere is called "quiting". Much easier, much less admirable.

I think letting the abuse roll off your back, honoring your contract, and trying to do your job to the best of your abilities is "Manning Up". If my boss told me that my performance was being evaluated and that that I may not be safe, I would get angry, redouble my efforts, and prove him wrong. Seeking employment elsewhere is called "quiting". Much easier, much less admirable.

Don't always agree with you MAC, but +1 for this.

We have no idea what the new GM will do, and I do think Irsay is handling the JC situation well. Someone needs to be there doing the day to day off season stuff that happens every year. If Irsay would have cleaned house, the Colts would be behind by weeks. The more I think about it, the less angry I will be if Caldwell is back. He has one year left on his contract, let him ride it out and see how he does. If he's terrible, bring in someone else...who knows, maybe he will actually mature into the position like nearly all of us do or have done in our daily jobs. The NFL is way to reactionary these days. Look at all the teams who have ran through head coaches the last few years (Raiders/Bills/Redskins for example) and then look at how many playoff appearances they have (none). Then compare to teams that have a stable HC. There is something to be said about stability is all I'm saying.

I'm no Caldwell supporter, but it is not like there is a dearth of talented, proven coaches out there. Fisher is way over hyped, and Gruden, Cower, Sherman, Schottenheimer, Billick, Fossil, and the other vets are marginal at best. JC has as many SB appearances or more as all these guys, who have had terrible seasons on multiple occasions throughout their careers. I can't be that upset with giving Caldwell one more year and then rolling the dice on a young coach after that instead of one of these vets (with Billick being a possible expection). This being said, I won't be upset if a move is made and JC is canned. Point is: Irsay is being calculated and not making snap decisions, which is the sign of a mature, stable owner.

We have no idea what the new GM will do, and I do think Irsay is handling the JC situation well. Someone needs to be there doing the day to day off season stuff that happens every year. If Irsay would have cleaned house, the Colts would be behind by weeks. The more I think about it, the less angry I will be if Caldwell is back. He has one year left on his contract, let him ride it out and see how he does. If he's terrible, bring in someone else...who knows, maybe he will actually mature into the position like nearly all of us do or have done in our daily jobs. The NFL is way to reactionary these days. Look at all the teams who have ran through head coaches the last few years (Raiders/Bills/Redskins for example) and then look at how many playoff appearances they have (none). Then compare to teams that have a stable HC. There is something to be said about stability is all I'm saying.

I'm no Caldwell supporter, but it is not like there is a dearth of talented, proven coaches out there. Fisher is way over hyped, and Gruden, Cower, Sherman, Schottenheimer, Billick, Fossil, and the other vets are marginal at best. JC has as many SB appearances or more as all these guys, who have had terrible seasons on multiple occasions throughout their careers. I can't be that upset with giving Caldwell one more year and then rolling the dice on a young coach after that instead of one of these vets (with Billick being a possible expection). This being said, I won't be upset if a move is made and JC is canned. Point is: Irsay is being calculated and not making snap decisions, which is the sign of a mature, stable owner.

Forgot to add that if JC does stay, bringing in new assistant, particularly a DC, and some position coaches is a must.

Why would Caldwell resign? So he could be available for another HC job? This is his one shot at being a HC. And maybe not for long. Might as well draw a paycheck until the shoe drops. The new GM is going to make those decisions and Irsay is keeping that option open for him.

Why would Caldwell resign? So he could be available for another HC job? This is his one shot at being a HC. And maybe not for long. Might as well draw a paycheck until the shoe drops. The new GM is going to make those decisions and Irsay is keeping that option open for him.

If our decisions to stick with Painter through all those awful starts doesn't scream that we'll stick through caldwell with his horrible coaching then I don't know what does.

Polian and company have born the brunt of our QB failure this year(and rightly so), but I haven't heard anyone blame Ron Turner, the QB coach this year. He switched positions with Frank Reich at the beginning of the year, right? He had many games to get Painter up to snuff and it didn't happen. Look at Yates for the Texans...he was 3rd string and he has performed well. I don't know that Frank Reich would have done any better, but Peyton bragged on Caldwell when he was his QB coach. All that to say this. Maybe Caldwell isn't as bad as we make him out to be. He has the respect of his current clubhouse.

If our decisions to stick with Painter through all those awful starts doesn't scream that we'll stick through caldwell with his horrible coaching then I don't know what does.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with this comment. Painter started 8 games and then was replaced.

Agree totally with you and Mac. Well done.

I'm no Caldwell supporter, but it is not like there is a dearth of talented, proven coaches out there. Fisher is way over hyped, and Gruden, Cower, Sherman, Schottenheimer, Billick, Fossil, and the other vets are marginal at best.

Not to split hairs, but isn't a dearth an inadequate supply or scarcity? This statement doesn't make sense the way it is worded. Aren't you trying to say that there is a dearth of talented, proven coaches?

Not to split hairs, but isn't a dearth an inadequate supply or scarcity? This statement doesn't make sense the way it is worded. Aren't you trying to say that there is a dearth of talented, proven coaches?

Right. I just assumed he meant "abundance". We all insert the wrong word hear end their. :)

Larry good points and yes Jim Irsay craves stability, from what I've heard its the result of being with the Colts when his dad ran the show and was as inconsistent as Raiders,Redskins, and Bills are now. While I could see you wanting to give JC one more year and see what happens, a HC can't be allowed to return after losing 13 straight regardless of the season's circumstances. Just look at Denver's coaching staff and the job they've done working with Tebow, for weeks they were installing special game plans because tebow was ineffective in the regular offense. That's what a coaching staff is suppose to do make adjustments the colts should not have needed Petyon to win every game this year. Looking back at the schedule the colts should have won 10 games that were either close or the opposing team was just that bad this year. That's the difference coaching is suppose to make, a good coach finds a way to win the close games or the game he's suppose to win even with a average qb.

Polian and company have born the brunt of our QB failure this year(and rightly so), but I haven't heard anyone blame Ron Turner, the QB coach this year. He switched positions with Frank Reich at the beginning of the year, right? He had many games to get Painter up to snuff and it didn't happen. Look at Yates for the Texans...he was 3rd string and he has performed well. I don't know that Frank Reich would have done any better, but Peyton bragged on Caldwell when he was his QB coach. All that to say this. Maybe Caldwell isn't as bad as we make him out to be. He has the respect of his current clubhouse.

At some point the player has to have talent. I think frankly that's the problem Painter wasn't good enough. You can only coach them up so much. With that said it's a very fair question to ask why it took the coaching staff so long to figure out Painter wasn't good enough and give Orlovsky a shot.

At some point the player has to have talent. I think frankly that's the problem Painter wasn't good enough. You can only coach them up so much. With that said it's a very fair question to ask why it took the coaching staff so long to figure out Painter wasn't good enough and give Orlovsky a shot.

Because Painter has talent, he's just a mental case. He has a lot more skill than Orlovsky in my opinion. I suspect that the staff saw enough early on (as did most of us) to believe that he could get his act together and calm down with more reps. It must have been frustrating for all of them. "Is this the week that we give up altogether on the guy that we've been grooming for three years and who looks good in practice in favor of the older guy with no upside whatsoever?". You know that doing so was just going to stick a spike in Painters career altogether, and with no chance of making the playoffs anyway, there was little going on that was more important than trying to develope Painter into a reliable backup.

I also note once again that Painters downturn coincided with a lot of oline injuries, and Orlovskys success coincided with the line gettting healthy again - and the defense stepping up significantly. And he coaches making a determined effort to run the ball more. We lost games 2-6 by a TOTAL of 32 points despite the defense being utterly unable to stop anyone in the second half. If the defense had been playing well at that point I'm sure we would have won at least 2-3 of them - all before the NO debacle that shattered Painters confidence altogether. Who knows how the season might have gone.

I hope whomever is the new Colts GM cleans house and begins the process of rebuilding. My take on the most important priorities of the new GM are listed below:

Coaching staff. Jim Caldwell has proven through his ineptitude, bad in-game management, poor time/clock management, uninspiring leadership and poor basic X’s and O's that he isn’t a NFL head coach. He is a good man and all that but just not a good coach. His body of work and overall record as a head coach is pathetic - 26–63 at Wake Forest and 26-22 as the Colts HC. Time for a change.

Front Office staff. A serious evaluation of personnel in scouting, player personnel and development has to be a top priority of the new GM. I’m sure he would want his people in key positions in the front office and we need new, competent talent as we move forward.

Player evaluation and retention. It is the highest priority going forward to put in place the strategy/direction on what to do with Manning. There has to be plans and alternate plans to implement depending on whether Manning is healthy or not healthy and for drafting Luck or trading the pick or other scenarios. Next, what to do with our free agents – sign some, all, or just the “key” ones? What about free agency? What is our drafting plan? Have we identified UDFAs that may help the team?

Salary cap management.

Fan appreciation. Ok, that is not a top priority but it would be nice if the new GM had more positive interactions with the fans than in the past.

Splitting hairs is fine...you are correct. Typo on my part and by the time I noticed couldn't edit.

I hope whomever is the new Colts GM cleans house and begins the process of rebuilding. My take on the most important priorities of the new GM are listed below:

Coaching staff. Jim Caldwell has proven through his ineptitude, bad in-game management, poor time/clock management, uninspiring leadership and poor basic X’s and O's that he isn’t a NFL head coach. He is a good man and all that but just not a good coach. His body of work and overall record as a head coach is pathetic - 26–63 at Wake Forest and 26-22 as the Colts HC. Time for a change.

Front Office staff. A serious evaluation of personnel in scouting, player personnel and development has to be a top priority of the new GM. I’m sure he would want his people in key positions in the front office and we need new, competent talent as we move forward.

Player evaluation and retention. It is the highest priority going forward to put in place the strategy/direction on what to do with Manning. There has to be plans and alternate plans to implement depending on whether Manning is healthy or not healthy and for drafting Luck or trading the pick or other scenarios. Next, what to do with our free agents – sign some, all, or just the “key” ones? What about free agency? What is our drafting plan? Have we identified UDFAs that may help the team?

Salary cap management.

Fan appreciation. Ok, that is not a top priority but it would be nice if the new GM had more positive interactions with the fans than in the past.

These are well laid out priorities. I made the point about how keeping JC wouldn't make me that upset based on current available former head coaches. However, the rumors about bringing in Mornhinweg are intriguing. He was young when he failed with the Lions (he did make some bad in-game decisions in his time there) but has worked closely with Reid since then to produce a very solid offense over the years.

I would add the importance of bringing in a strong DC to the priorities regardless of who the HC is and particularly if it is Mornhinweg or Caldwell.

Whatever happens with the HC, Irsay has played this thing well and not made the Colts look like a mess of a franchise.

So are all the good teams. What's your point? The teams that make fast, emotional decisions, or overrate some player/coach by name alone, are often the laughing stock of league in perpetual rebuild mode.

I disagree. There are plenty of teams that make fast decisions that are perrenial superbowl contenders. Plus i'd debate that waiting 9 games to pull painter was way too long. We all knew he was bad when he played the jets when we were 14-0 and then we also knew he was bad after pre-season and we knew he was really bad after 4 games. I'm not sure what constituted leaving him in for 9 games other than trying to pick up a #1 draft pick. Either that or it was just stupidity on the FO / HC part.

I disagree. There are plenty of teams that make fast decisions that are perrenial superbowl contenders. Plus i'd debate that waiting 9 games to pull painter was way too long. We all knew he was bad when he played the jets when we were 14-0 and then we also knew he was bad after pre-season and we knew he was really bad after 4 games. I'm not sure what constituted leaving him in for 9 games other than trying to pick up a #1 draft pick. Either that or it was just stupidity on the FO / HC part.

okay name them...

You have the Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Colts, Pats, Eagles, Chargers, and maybe the Giants to choose from. Those are your perrenial Super Bowl Contenders for about the past 5 to 7 years. Which of those teams are quick to make fast EMOTIONAL changes (which is what Doogan said)? If anything those teams have been known for staying patient and not making quick EMOTIONAL changes. That emotional word is key because you can make take what looks like a quick action, and maybe this was your point, and have it be good but normally it's because you've thought about that move a head of time and have removed the emotions from it. A good example would be what New England did in bringing back McDaniels this week. He probably started thinking about that when BB heard his OC was being rumored for the Penn State job. He got a plan in place for what he would do if his OC left and then just put it into action once he did.

okay name them...

You have the Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Colts, Pats, Eagles, Chargers, and maybe the Giants to choose from. Those are your perrenial Super Bowl Contenders for about the past 5 to 7 years. Which of those teams are quick to make fast EMOTIONAL changes (which is what Doogan said)? If anything those teams have been known for staying patient and not making quick EMOTIONAL changes. That emotional word is key because you can make take what looks like a quick action, and maybe this was your point, and have it be good but normally it's because you've thought about that move a head of time and have removed the emotions from it. A good example would be what New England did in bringing back McDaniels this week. He probably started thinking about that when BB heard his OC was being rumored for the Penn State job. He got a plan in place for what he would do if his OC left and then just put it into action once he did.

Sure,

Ravens, Steelers, Pats, Eagles, Saints, Jets

The emotional part that your grinding on was never part of my post and was clearly seperated by a comma in Doogans post and ignored by me on purpose because i feel that NO teams in the NFL make emotional decisons about their team. NFL football is a business so that is why I disregarded it, and you should to.

Sure,

Ravens, Steelers, Pats, Eagles, Saints, Jets

The emotional part that your grinding on was never part of my post and was clearly seperated by a comma in Doogans post and ignored by me on purpose because i feel that NO teams in the NFL make emotional decisons about their team. NFL football is a business so that is why I disregarded it, and you should to.

So you ingored a key word in Doogan's post... Like I even said to you my post if you were just talking about quick decisions that is different from making a quick emotional decision and even said maybe that is what you were trying to get it. However most of the time when teams make what looks like a quick decision to fans it's really not it's thought out before hand. Another example would be when hired Bill Polian. Irsay has admited he had Polian in place before he fired Tobin. When he fired Tobin and hird Polian less than 24 hours later a lot of people thought that was a quick decision by Polian when really he had worked on it for a while before hand.

Yes teams do make emotional decisions. Normally when they do they don't work out. The Raiders and Al Davis could fill a book on this first firing Mike Shanahan because he didn't like him and bringing back Art Shell because he felt bad about firing him to start with as two examples.

I don't think anyone is going to argue with you that teams shouldn't make emotional decisions. In fact I think that was part of Doogan's first point. With that said teams do make them and tends to not work well for them when they do.

Also please tell me a quick emotional decision the teams about you just listed have made? Also the Jets are not a yearly Super Bowl team. They are team that got hot and surprised people with two deep runs to the AFCCG. Before they made them most people not named Rex Ryan didn't get them a real shot at going to a Super Bowl.

So you ingored a key word in Doogan's post... Like I even said to you my post if you were just talking about quick decisions that is different from making a quick emotional decision and even said maybe that is what you were trying to get it. However most of the time when teams make what looks like a quick decision to fans it's really not it's thought out before hand. Another example would be when hired Bill Polian. Irsay has admited he had Polian in place before he fired Tobin. When he fired Tobin and hird Polian less than 24 hours later a lot of people thought that was a quick decision by Polian when really he had worked on it for a while before hand.

Yes teams do make emotional decisions. Normally when they do they don't work out. The Raiders and Al Davis could fill a book on this first firing Mike Shanahan because he didn't like him and bringing back Art Shell because he felt bad about firing him to start with as two examples.

I don't think anyone is going to argue with you that teams shouldn't make emotional decisions. In fact I think that was part of Doogan's first point. With that said teams do make them and tends to not work well for them when they do.

Also please tell me a quick emotional decision the teams about you just listed have made? Also the Jets are not a yearly Super Bowl team. They are team that got hot and surprised people with two deep runs to the AFCCG. Before they made them most people not named Rex Ryan didn't get them a real shot at going to a Super Bowl.

I can't tell you a quick emotional decision they made because they don't make them. I refuse to believe that any teams in the NFL make decisons based on emotions. Haven't we been over this before? You believe they do, and I believe they don't why keep bugging me about it? The purpose of this forum is not to take your opinion and argue someone elses opionion in hoping that you'd change their mind. If you continue to do so I will have to place you on ignore because that's not what I come here for and you already played a hand in getting me a 1 day suspension the other day because you refused to acknowledge my response and you just kept badgering me which is the same thing your doing now.

I'd argue that the Jets are a superbowl contender, but they had a bad year. Running to the AFC champ game 2 years in a row has got to count for something.

I can't tell you a quick emotional decision they made because they don't make them. I refuse to believe that any teams in the NFL make decisons based on emotions. Haven't we been over this before? You believe they do, and I believe they don't why keep bugging me about it? The purpose of this forum is not to take your opinion and argue someone elses opionion in hoping that you'd change their mind. If you continue to do so I will have to place you on ignore because that's not what I come here for and you already played a hand in getting me a 1 day suspension the other day because you refused to acknowledge my response and you just kept badgering me which is the same thing your doing now.

I'd argue that the Jets are a superbowl contender, but they had a bad year. Running to the AFC champ game 2 years in a row has got to count for something.

Which is what Doogan and then made said to start with...

I would agree with you that there is a difference in making a quick emotional deicision and making a quick deicision. Although I would stand by my point what might look like a quick decision to you or me is not really a quick deicision. Again I sight my Colts and hiring Bill Polian as an example of this. Teams that tend to be good year in and year out generally have a plan in place and just excuite and while it might look fast to you or me probably had a lot of thought and planning that we didn't see.

You can refuse to believe that teams don't make emotional quick deicisions but I just gave you two examples of it. Again I also agree with you that it's not smart to do and teams shouldn't do business that way but some do.

I am not trying to badger you into anything and I am sure as heck not responsable for anything you say. I am not a mod so if you have an issue with the suspention they handed out to you I would suggest you take it up with them and not blame me for it because till you told me I didn't even know you were suspended let alone have anything to do with it. If you want to put me on ignore go for it. I don't really care.

I will tell you people have different view points on a forum which is what I have with you. They don't set out to change people's minds as they often try to defend their view points and explain why they feel the way they do. That is what I have tried to do. If you don't share my view point that's fine no one says you have too. With that said if I disagree with yours I am going to tell you why I disagree with it and lay out why I believe what I believe and back it up with something. That's also part of what a forum is for. People are going to have different view points than you, it's part of a forum. I don't know how many people have had different view points than me around here. It happens. This will be the last time I have this debate with you because frankly people around here don't care about you and me going back and fourth. They want to stick to talking to football which I will be more than happy to do with you because while you might not respect mine I do respect your opinion.

As to your last point, there is a different in being a team like the Jets that has sneaked into the playoffs two years in a row and making two while very impressive runs still surprising runs to the AFC Title game and being a team like the Colts, Ravens Pats, Steelers, Saints (which is a team you listed that I forgot), or Packers that is in the run for a Super Bowl year in and year out.

Which is what Doogan and then made said to start with...

I would agree with you that there is a difference in making a quick emotional deicision and making a quick deicision. Although I would stand by my point what might look like a quick decision to you or me is not really a quick deicision. Again I sight my Colts and hiring Bill Polian as an example of this. Teams that tend to be good year in and year out generally have a plan in place and just excuite and while it might look fast to you or me probably had a lot of thought and planning that we didn't see.

You can refuse to believe that teams don't make emotional quick deicisions but I just gave you two examples of it. Again I also agree with you that it's not smart to do and teams shouldn't do business that way but some do.

I am not trying to badger you into anything and I am sure as heck not responsable for anything you say. I am not a mod so if you have an issue with the suspention they handed out to you I would suggest you take it up with them and not blame me for it because till you told me I didn't even know you were suspended let alone have anything to do with it. If you want to put me on ignore go for it. I don't really care.

I will tell you people have different view points on a forum which is what I have with you. They don't set out to change people's minds as they often try to defend their view points and explain why they feel the way they do. That is what I have tried to do. If you don't share my view point that's fine no one says you have too. With that said if I disagree with yours I am going to tell you why I disagree with it and lay out why I believe what I believe and back it up with something. That's also part of what a forum is for. People are going to have different view points than you, it's part of a forum. I don't know how many people have had different view points than me around here. It happens. This will be the last time I have this debate with you because frankly people around here don't care about you and me going back and fourth. They want to stick to talking to football which I will be more than happy to do with you because while you might not respect mine I do respect your opinion.

As to your last point, there is a different in being a team like the Jets that has sneaked into the playoffs two years in a row and making two while very impressive runs still surprising runs to the AFC Title game and being a team like the Colts, Ravens Pats, Steelers, Saints (which is a team you listed that I forgot), or Packers that is in the run for a Super Bowl year in and year out.

All of this novel stemmed from me saying that the colts did not react fast enough in pulling painter, and i generalized that the colts were slow to make changes because we are still employing one Jim Caldwell. I'm not sure why this always happens to me, but some how or another that simple statement rubs a particular few people the wrong way (I can count them on 1 hand) and it snowballs into all this nonsense.

So going back to the beginning... I still believe the colts are slow to make changes because we took too long to bench Painter and we also still employ Jim Caldwell. If someone wants to turn that and try to argue that all good teams make slow decisions and we should accept that because teams that don't make fast emotional decisions. I don't even know where to go with that because I don't think any teams make emotional decisions. Your evidence is circumstantial and you have no way of proving it as fact. While you can believe that teams do make these emotional decisons, thats fine, but don't try to push how you interpreted something off to me as your evidence and examples as you put it to justify your opinion. If you had just said that you think teams do make emotional decisions because you think it happened in such and such a scenario then thats fine, but when you tell someone that teams DO make emotional decisons because it DID happen in such and such a scenario you are pushing opinions as facts and thats where I have a problem. You make me look like the bad guy by doing so.

I also have a problem with your jumping to conclusions. You do it constantly and it really bothers me so I guess Ignore may be the way to go but I have hope that we can just agree to disagree without all of this nonsense. Much like you said I was "blaming" you for being suspended. I never said that, this is not the first time you put words in my mouth. I simpley stated you played a hand in it. If I was suspended due to a conversation Iw as having with you I do belive you played a hand in it regardless of fault.

I do respect your opinion and you are entitled to it, but all of the un-needed flub that goes along with your opinions that can be summed up in 1 sentence is what my problem is. Along with the constant conclusion jumping and putting words in my mouth. How am I suppose to feel about this?

Back to finally the Jets, which during their last 2 seasons had one of the highest ranked defenses in the NFL, but of course were not oging to give them credit for that, and were not going to give them credit for one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL during those two season either, they surely "backed" into the playoffs and made it to the AFC champ game 2 years in a row by pure luck. It's not really surprising when you look at it, Combine a top defense with a top ruhsing attack and your going to be a SB contender no matter that team you are. Ground game controls the clock and game while the defense holds the other team at bay.

Back to finally the Jets, which during their last 2 seasons had one of the highest ranked defenses in the NFL, but of course were not oging to give them credit for that, and were not going to give them credit for one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL during those two season either, they surely "backed" into the playoffs and made it to the AFC champ game 2 years in a row by pure luck. It's not really surprising when you look at it, Combine a top defense with a top ruhsing attack and your going to be a SB contender no matter that team you are. Ground game controls the clock and game while the defense holds the other team at bay.

You and I don't agree very often, but I'll take your side on this one. I don't like the Jets, but I don't know how anybody can try to claim that a team that has been to the AFC Championship 2 of the past 3 years is not a Super Bowl contender. The Jets are a good team; they're just dysfunctional.