Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM options for 2016

BProland85

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/22/2015 at 2:37 PM, Restored said:

The one time he spent a high pick on an offensive linemen, it turned out fairly well (Jack Mewhort). I agree it's not an issue of neglect but Grigson seemed very frugal in his approach to the team's most glaring issue.

He most likely had hopes that the coaches could make due with 3 middle-tier linemen and 2 quality linemen, and some okay depth, since most other teams (ahem, New England) are able to do very well without really having much more at their disposal. He also has a very delicate salary cap to manage these next 2 years with Luck's contract looming, so big picture-wise, it really wasn't going to be practical to try bring in 5 pro bowl linemen to form a brick wall in front of Luck. One reason being that there just aren't many of those guys available anyways, and two being that even if they were, they'd be ridiculously expensive. And last but not least, try not to forget that last year's draft wasn't great for offensive linemen, whereas this year is a very deep draft laden with o-line talent.

18 hours ago, jimmy g said:
15 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

So just based off a record chuck is a pretty good coach?

I didn't mention Chuck. I mentioned that Venturi apparently isn't good enough to be hired as an NFL head coach or he'd have had a job in ten years. The rest is your spin.

13 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I didn't mention Chuck. I mentioned that Venturi apparently isn't good enough to be hired as an NFL head coach or he'd have had a job in ten years. The rest is your spin.

No I'm just saying going by what you mentioned before you brought up venturi's record in the nfl saying he wouldn't cut it as a head coach I just asked is chuck a better coach? Since he has the better record and I never said the colts should actually go out and get venturi I'm just saying he has a better understanding than chuck does

On 12/22/2015 at 11:46 PM, southwest1 said:

I'm not saying hire the guy permanently but since Charlie Casserly has had success consulting on the hiring of Todd Bowles for the New York Jets bring him into INDY for thoughts on our GM vacancy & possible candidates not widely talked about that we need to put on our radar. 

How about Terry McDonough, VP of Player Personnel for the AZ Cardinals? Or Malik Boyd, Assist Director of Pro Scouting from the same franchise? No one can deny their success right now.  

Irsay is just as smart as Casserly. He doesn't need a consultant to make a hire. JMO.

43 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Irsay is just as smart as Casserly. He doesn't need a consultant to make a hire. JMO.

just keep in mind that you're posting that in a thread where people are discussing new GM options...because they don't like the current GM...who was hired by Irsay.  So many in this thread probably have a difficult time trusting Irsay on the next GM hire.  Whether that's warranted or not is debatable...just making a point about the audience you're speaking to. :)

44 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

just keep in mind that you're posting that in a thread where people are discussing new GM options...because they don't like the current GM...who was hired by Irsay.  So many in this thread probably have a difficult time trusting Irsay on the next GM hire.  Whether that's warranted or not is debatable...just making a point about the audience you're speaking to. :)

Well, most of them didn't complain about Grigson when the team went 11-5 and 11-5 so....regardless, Irsay has made some great decisions with this team since he's been in charge in fact I can't think of a glaring example of him not making good decisions.

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

1. Smart people seek the opinions of other smart people when making important decisions.

2. Jim Irsay fired Bill Tobin and hired Bill Polian. Irsay has a record of making good decisions. Irsay felt he was making the right decision with Grigson. Even smart people make mistakes.

35 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

1. Smart people seek the opinions of other smart people when making important decisions.

2. Jim Irsay fired Bill Tobin and hired Bill Polian. Irsay has a record of making good decisions. Irsay felt he was making the right decision with Grigson. Even smart people make mistakes.

So, your saying that Irsay should seek out Charlie Casserly to get an opinion about who to hire as GM, assuming he fires Grigson, because he hired Bill Tobin(who was a proven winner at the time)and because Grigson hasnt worked out? Casserly has had success no doubt but at the same time he's made some real dumb moves too. Make no mistake about it Irsay is a smart guy. He knows what's going on in the NFL and he probably knows better than Casserly who is up and coming in front office circles because he's on the inside. Irsay is a well respected football man and if he chooses to consult with someone about an opening so be it but I don't think Casserly has any more knowledge about it than Jim himself.

2 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

So, your saying that Irsay should seek out Charlie Casserly to get an opinion about who to hire as GM, assuming he fires Grigson, because he hired Bill Tobin(who was a proven winner at the time)and because Grigson hasnt worked out? Casserly has had success no doubt but at the same time he's made some real dumb moves too. Make no mistake about it Irsay is a smart guy. He knows what's going on in the NFL and he probably knows better than Casserly who is up and coming in front office circles because he's on the inside. Irsay is a well respected football man and if he chooses to consult with someone about an opening so be it but I don't think Casserly has any more knowledge about it than Jim himself.

I didn't say Casserly is smarter than Irsay. I would agree Irsay is a smart football guy. I do think Irsay should obtain opinions from other smart football people, and if Casserly is one of them, so be it.

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

Well, most of them didn't complain about Grigson when the team went 11-5 and 11-5 so....regardless, Irsay has made some great decisions with this team since he's been in charge in fact I can't think of a glaring example of him not making good decisions.

Hey, don't get me wrong...not saying I agree with them.  Rather, I agree with you.  There were a few Grigson detractors even from the beginning, but I'm sure many more have jumped on that bandwagon after the way this season has turned out. :)

8 hours ago, theanarchist said:

You say it as if the roster was amazing when we were 11-5, and it wasn't. I'll admit that he probably had no detractors after the 2012 season, everything was trending upwards. But I think that he had detractors as early as 2013. That's when he started to make questionable moves. Drafted Werner and then traded for Richardson. Also acquired Winston Justice who was awful, and didn't upgrade the center position.

Winning can be misleading, and I'll admit that I was blinded by it at first too. But don't make it seem as if wanting Grigson gone is just because of one losing season. It's been in the works for awhile.

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 4:00 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

If we're going to make changes, I think changing GM is a bigger priority than head coach.

My requests would be (1) that the new GM and whoever our head coach is sit down with Irsay before any hiring to make sure we are sure of the work flow/relations/etc.. this was garbage to the fans to have to deal with reports from prior to the season all the way until now about Pags vs. Grigs and their relationship issues and if they are true, it is garbage that Pagano didn't have control of many decisions the HC should have control over and (2) we hire someone with a proven track record -- Grigs was a young guy with some scouting success in Philly, but it doesn't seem like he had the experience or record needed to lead a team needing a complete rebuild (same can be said about Pagano).

If we make changes at both GM and HC, I would not be opposed to seeing us hire someone to come in and play both roles, though I'm not sure what candidates out there are capable of doing that...

Exactly. I remember Irsay's statement "We got our man" back in 2012. Why was he so high on Grigson specifically? There were certainly far more experienced guys out there at the time, no?

On 12/24/2015 at 7:34 AM, VaAllDay757 said:

No I'm just saying going by what you mentioned before you brought up venturi's record in the nfl saying he wouldn't cut it as a head coach I just asked is chuck a better coach? Since he has the better record and I never said the colts should actually go out and get venturi I'm just saying he has a better understanding than chuck does

I'd take chuck's 33-15 record in today's NFL vs a guy who is 3-48 and not in the NFL for 10 years any day.  If I was only successful 3 out of 51 times in my job, and not in my business for ten years, no one in my biz would be rushing to hire me as their main manager...

22 hours ago, ThaCaliColt said:

Exactly. I remember Irsay's statement "We got our man" back in 2012. Why was he so high on Grigson specifically? There were certainly far more experienced guys out there at the time, no?

Which of the other GMs hired in 2012 have performed better, in your opinion. Certainly not Reggie McKenzie. 

4 hours ago, jimmy g said:

I'd take chuck's 33-15 record in today's NFL vs a guy who is 3-48 and not in the NFL for 10 years any day.  If I was only successful 3 out of 51 times in my job, and not in my business for ten years, no one in my biz would be rushing to hire me as their main manager...

Who really knows he probably didn't want to coach anymore.....jeff fisher has a losing record and he's still coaching so it's not impossible for somone with a losing record to get a coaching job that's all I'm saying 

12 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

No evidence, but I do think it bothered Irsay a little bit that Polian got all the credit and ran the team.  i think Irsay wanted to show he could bring along someone else and have more input into the team.

Stop listening to Brad Wells

5 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

No evidence, but I do think it bothered Irsay a little bit that Polian got all the credit and ran the team.  i think Irsay wanted to show he could bring along someone else and have more input into the team.

that makes zero sense.

On December 24, 2015 at 7:04 AM, theanarchist said:

It's not a matter of being smart in my estimation TAC. Think of it like a safety net or springboard to bounce potential candidate names off of. Charlie C-asserly played a integral role in making the NY Jets respectable again & with a bright mind like Luck's at our disposal, INDY can't afford to make a mistake at the GM position or his protection upfront for years to come. 

Bill Parcels used former Packers GM Ron Wolf to revamp the Dolphins roster so it's not unheard of. 

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 5:25 PM, Defjamz26 said:

You say it as if the roster was amazing when we were 11-5, and it wasn't. I'll admit that he probably had no detractors after the 2012 season, everything was trending upwards. But I think that he had detractors as early as 2013. That's when he started to make questionable moves. Drafted Werner and then traded for Richardson. Also acquired Winston Justice who was awful, and didn't upgrade the center position.

Winning can be misleading, and I'll admit that I was blinded by it at first too. But don't make it seem as if wanting Grigson gone is just because of one losing season. It's been in the works for awhile.

I agree with that. He's made some bad decisions that have put the roster in a bad way. My post was more about Irsay making good decisions rather than in support of Grigs Irsay is a smart football guy.

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

It's not a matter of being smart in my estimation TAC. Think of it like a safety net or springboard to bounce potential candidate names off of. Charlie C-asserly played a integral role in making the NY Jets respectable again & with a bright mind like Luck's at our disposal, INDY can't afford to make a mistake at the GM position or his protection upfront for years to come. 

Bill Parcels used former Packers GM Ron Wolf to revamp the Dolphins roster so it's not unheard of. 

My recollection of Parcels Dolphins years is that they weren't all that great lol. I guess my point is just because a guy can ask for other opinions doesn't mean its going to be a great help. I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bulls butt but wouldn't I rather take the butchers word for it? lol

1 minute ago, theanarchist said:

My recollection of Parcels Dolphins years is that they weren't all that great lol. I guess my point is just because a guy can ask for other opinions doesn't mean its going to be a great help. I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bulls butt but wouldn't I rather take the butchers word for it? lol

hahahaha:thmup::thmup:

7 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

hahahaha:thmup::thmup:

0e57040b53affe9550e4aaee73c1d7bb.jpg