Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breakdown of Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliot

usatsi_8329732.jpg

Scouting Reports from last season: http://forums.colts.com/topic/37501-scouting-report-final-hub-post-all-48-write-ups-updated-13042015/?page=1

Size: Elliot is built like your prototypical power-back. Standing at around 6'0" and weighing in at around 220 lbs, Elliot has the size and frame to deal out as much punishment as he can take. (5/5)

Athleticism: Elliot doesn't have elite long-speed. Likely a high 4.4 to low 4.5 runner. Can get caught from behind by DBs. Acceleration/explosiveness are very good. Strong burst through the middle, which combined with his size and strength allows him to power through would-be arm tackles. Agility is very much above average. Change of direction ability is fantastic. At his best on counter plays. Shifts weight fantastically and has the ability to stop on a dime. Elliot is a player who doesn't have any glaring weaknesses as an athlete, but also doesn't have anything that's particularly elite. (7/10) 

Vision: Elliot rarely leaves yards on the field. What I noticed was that his vision was very good even past his initial blockers. In the open field, he understand what angles to take to maximize his yardage. As mentioned before his change of direction ability in conjunction with his vision makes him a force to be reckoned with on counter run plays. Does a great job following his lead blockers. Very little hesitation. I noticed that when running without a lead blocker, he misses a few cut-back lanes. Nothing big time, but it's a slight blemish. (8/10)

3rd-down Ability: All rookie runningbacks suck in pass protection so I'm not going to judge so hard for that. Not that he's particularly bad at it though. You'd like to see him be a little more aggressive towards free rushers. I've read that there was some concern about his hands, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe I'm watching the wrong games or something but he hauled in every target I've seen. Never did much aside from run little outlet routes, but it's not like he'd be asked to do much more in the NFL. Likely a mediocre 3rd down back to start his career with room to grow. (6/10)

Balance: Excellent footwork and ability to keep himself upright while absorbing hits. A power back with great balance is a very potent weapon for an offense, and Elliot definitely fits that description. Not quite as good as last year's prospect Jay Ajayi, but nonetheless very good. (8/10)

Physicality: Like I said earlier, Elliot is your prototypical power-back. His strength as a runner allows him to turn those failed 1 yard runs into 4 yard runs and those 4 yard runs into 10 yard runs. Runs with a good pad-level that allows him to take advantage of all of his strength. He doesn't have Todd Gurley level of power (few do), but Elliot is a physical player who doesn't shy away from contact. You'd like to see him power though a few more leg tackles though. (7/10)

Improvisation: Elliot can create his own yardage decently. He's not a shake-and-bake runner who's going to juke players out of there shoes very often, it's not really his game. Has shiftiness, but he's much better running through defenders than around them. (6/10)

Ball Control: CFB doesn't keep track of fumble numbers, but just from the eye test, Elliot carries the ball high and tight. The only fumble he had in the games I watched was a muffed punt. I don't feel right grading this without the fumble numbers so this isn't going to factor into the final grade (NA/NA)

GIFs:

Shows off elusiveness with a nice spin move: https://zippy.gfycat.com/ImaginativeSereneDunlin.webm

Change of direction: https://zippy.gfycat.com/WaryRadiantAiredale.webm

Long TD on a counter-run: https://zippy.gfycat.com/JubilantWelcomeIsopod.webm

Reaches up to haul in pass: https://zippy.gfycat.com/AshamedFlakyAxisdeer.webm

More elusiveness (plus balance): https://zippy.gfycat.com/EvergreenGiantBlackcrappie.webm

Slips a tackle and keeps balance for a nice gain: https://zippy.gfycat.com/DetailedFatherlyDuiker.webm

Conclusion: 

47/65 - A low 1st round pick. 

Elliot is a big-stout runner with a penchant for the physical. I don't look at him and see "Elite RB", but i do think he can be a bell-cow for a power-run team and even make a few pro-bowls one day. He's definitely not on the level of Todd Gurley from last draft, but he's probably on par with Melvin Gordon.

NFL Comp: Frank Gore, IND

I kinda think gore is a bad comparison seeing as gore is like 5'8 and plays low, elliot is 4 inches taller and stand up a little more. I'll come back when I can think of a little bit better comparison. I wouldn't mind him as a late second rounder I just think his talent looks more like a late second early third but I'm no expert, overall I like this analysis but man do I wish he was a little faster

So how do you think he compares to Carlos Hyde? I remember the first time I watched Hyde play and knew nothing about him, but immediately thought "that guy can play in the NFL at a high level".

He's had a disappointing sophomore campaign though. It seems like maybe Elliot is the real stud.

On 12/18/2015 at 8:41 AM, twfish said:

I kinda think gore is a bad comparison seeing as gore is like 5'8 and plays low, elliot is 4 inches taller and stand up a little more. I'll come back when I can think of a little bit better comparison. I wouldn't mind him as a late second rounder I just think his talent looks more like a late second early third but I'm no expert, overall I like this analysis but man do I wish he was a little faster

I think it's a bad comparison as well.  He has much better speed but not as good at breaking tackles as Gore.

10 hours ago, wig said:

I think it's a bad comparison as well.  He has much better speed but not as good at breaking tackles as Gore.

The more I watch the more I'm seeing bust. He seems to be a product of that o-line, I don't think he's physical enough for the nfl he's got good vision and patience and when he's got room he can go I just don't think he will have alot of success in the nfl

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2015 at 9:29 PM, twfish said:

The more I watch the more I'm seeing bust. He seems to be a product of that o-line, I don't think he's physical enough for the nfl he's got good vision and patience and when he's got room he can go I just don't think he will have alot of success in the nfl

Feeling the same. Don't think he'll be a complete bust, just don't think he'll be anything more than average.

I am getting ready too eat some crow, I keep watching his other games making sure I have a good feel on some guys. I've called this guy a bust many times but I'm not thinking so anymore. I found the comparison. Edgerrin James....... Same height close to the same build ability to break tackles. What elliot lacks is the speed and doesn't have the elite balance edge did it's not bad but no edge. He has decent vision, cuts well but likely won't have the career edge did but I think that's a solid comparison. I had to go back and look at some of edges college stuff and they honestly don't  look to far apart and edge had a pretty good line at the U from everything I've watched

10 hours ago, twfish said:

I am getting ready too eat some crow, I keep watching his other games making sure I have a good feel on some guys. I've called this guy a bust many times but I'm not thinking so anymore. I found the comparison. Edgerrin James....... Same height close to the same build ability to break tackles. What elliot lacks is the speed and doesn't have the elite balance edge did it's not bad but no edge. He has decent vision, cuts well but likely won't have the career edge did but I think that's a solid comparison. I had to go back and look at some of edges college stuff and they honestly don't  look to far apart and edge had a pretty good line at the U from everything I've watched

The thing that compares him to Edgerrin the most is that he never goes backwards. He also has great balance in that he doesn't go down from arm tackles etc.. He also gets better as the game goes on. He's above average as a pass blocker - he will get better on the pro level, has great hands out of the backfield, and as you said his vision is exceptional. I'm probably biased because I'm a Buckeye fan, but he's easily been their best back since Eddie George. What many don't realize is that he's gained almost 4000 yards and didn't start until week 4 or 5 last year. On top of that, Ohio State had 4 underclassmen across their line last year, so he was playing some relatively young/inexperienced guys. Had Herreman stayed as the OC and went on to be the HC for Houston, Elliott might have had an even better season. He was underutilized quite a bit in games (~15 carries or less in some games). After he questioned the playcalling against MSU he got ~25 carries against Michigan and I believe set the record for rushing yards against UM at the Big House. He's going to have a nice career in the NFL in myu opinion.

To me, he is more like Jeremy Hill, RB of the Bengals.

In the right system with a good OL like the Bengals or even a decent OL with a power scheme like the Ravens, he can flourish. If he has to make yards out of nothing, he will struggle since he does not have breakaway speed east-west to make NFL LBs miss outside the tackles. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think he is going to be our pick at 18 if he is there.  They traded a 1 for Trent because they want that big back to go with Andrew. We have the same GM and coach who made the trade.  They may even trade up to get him.  I don't know why but I can see this happening.  Free agency will address the OL and a few spots on defense. The Von Miller excitement will cause a rush on edge rushers before we pick.  Just got that feeling and I would be okay with it. We need a starter with that pick and hopefully the next two picks.