Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Confused Over Caldwell

JColts72

I totally agree with you, BUT some people will say that's because of Manning being out all season, in which I don't believe at all because look at the Pats when Brady was out, they diod all right for themselves.

Manning being out is reason #1

Caldwell being an inept coach is a key reason for such a long losing streak by failing to see that Collins/Painter couldn't run the Manning offense for various reasons and refusing to alter the offense as soon as Manning had his 2nd operation. Christensen and Caldwell should've been out the door long before Coyer.

Caldwell being in inept coach is a key reason for such a long losing streak by failing to see that Collins/Painter couldn't run the Manning offense for various reasons and refusing to alter the offense as soon as Manning had his 2nd operation. Christensen and Caldwell should've been out the door long before Coyer.

This^

Maybe not the last sentence but close enough.

Caldwell being in inept coach is a key reason for such a long losing streak by failing to see that Collins/Painter couldn't run the Manning offense for various reasons and refusing to alter the offense as soon as Manning had his 2nd operation. Christensen and Caldwell should've been out the door long before Coyer.

I'm glad Coyer is gone and they need to def change from Tampa 2 defense.

The Colts are an attractive option to any potential GM; more so of he's allowed to clean up the whole coaching. staff If Fischer signs with Rams or Dolphins, that may well indeed mean Caldwell sticks around unless the new GM wants to give some assistant a chance.

The opportunity for Caldwell to show his coaching skills was this season without Manning running the whole show-A tree stump could have been coaching a Manning team and get 10 wins- I think a tree stump would have been more expressive during the game instead of the same self clap "good job" after another 3 and out or allowing a TD.

This^

Maybe not the last sentence but close enough.

I'm glad Coyer is gone and they need to def change from Tampa 2 defense.

I'm glad he's gone too and I'd love to see the Tampa 2 to be gone as well, but I feel he was handcuffed by Caldwell, and not allowed to run the defense as he did when he was first brought in. The defense his first year was vastly different than what he ran here last year and this year. It seems when Freeney got hurt against the Jets, then we reverted back to more of a true Tampa 2, and we stopped blitzing as much. We never returned to that type of scheme.

I'm glad he's gone too and I'd love to see the Tampa 2 to be gone as well, but I feel he was handcuffed by Caldwell, and not allowed to run the defense as he did when he was first brought in. The defense his first year was vastly different than what he ran here last year and this year. It seems when Freeney got hurt against the Jets, then we reverted back to more of a true Tampa 2, and we stopped blitzing as much. We never returned to that type of scheme.

Absolutely correct. They quit taking as many chances, which is exactly what they should have been doing this year with nothing to lose. The same can be said for the offense. Long balls and blitzes when you're 0 fer.

Absolutely correct. They quit taking as many chances, which is exactly what they should have been doing this year with nothing to lose. The same can be said for the offense. Long balls and blitzes when you're 0 fer.

You know, when Coyer was let go I was glad.

But now that the Polians are gone, and seeing all these reports of what life was like in the Colts organization, thinking of Coyer's claims of trying to change the defensive scheme but couldn't due to Bill, I wonder about the Polian's effect on all things Colts football, on and off the field.

Not that I think dismissing Coyer was a bad thing, as there were concerns over him upon arrival, but just how controlling WERE the Polians? Why did Irsay have to 'take the team back'?

I'm guessing Caldwell is being given further evaluation due to the Polian shroud that's tainted the organization, especially over the past 3-4 years.

Cut off it's head, and do an autopsy on the rest of the body? Then determine if it's a good body that just needs a new head, or is beyond repair.

I still say its only a matter of "when" Caldwell is gone and not "if".

With a GM you are probably right, even if it ends up being next season because GMs want their own guys. Look at what the Browns GM did they kept the old HC in place for a season and then fired. There is a real chance the Colts do something like that as well.

As Tom Hanks said in BIG, " I don't get it?" That 14 and 2 team must have thought Dungy was still coaching. At 10 and 6 they struggled at times at being 500 and that was with Manning, and this year 2 and 14- So at 26 and 22, that justifies keeping Caldwell another year? I think the 14 and 2 year was a fluke for him. Is he staying due to last year of contract? I wonder if Mora got fired in his last contract year or with any more time on his contract?

Let's take a look at one of our members' favorite coaches - Bill Cowher. He had a three year stretch where he went 7-9, 6-10 and 9-7. He had teams with much more talent than the Colts had this year. A three year record of 22-26 and no one yelled for him to be fired.

Irsay has said that he does not really want a coach who runs around screaming on the sidelines. If you hate Caldwell because of his sideline demeanor, get over it. All of the reports say that the players, including Manning, fully support him. If Irsay and not the fans decides to change coaches, you can be sure that we will not have a firebreather on the sidelines. Dungy's demeanor was exactly what Irsay wants, so get used to it.

Thanks for the lecture, but alot of fans don't have to get used to- He wants Mr. Bland personality, as long as it's somebody else- Yeah the players played real hard for Caldwell this season by being able to accomplish the 1 pick. At least Cowher had LeBaeu for a D-coach-So you are saying Caldwell is better then Cowher overall? I don't think so.

Let's take a look at one of our members' favorite coaches - Bill Cowher. He had a three year stretch where he went 7-9, 6-10 and 9-7. He had teams with much more talent than the Colts had this year. A three year record of 22-26 and no one yelled for him to be fired.

Irsay has said that he does not really want a coach who runs around screaming on the sidelines. If you hate Caldwell because of his sideline demeanor, get over it. All of the reports say that the players, including Manning, fully support him. If Irsay and not the fans decides to change coaches, you can be sure that we will not have a firebreather on the sidelines. Dungy's demeanor was exactly what Irsay wants, so get used to it.

Exactly and It's not just him it's the players. I think the biggest reason Caldwell still has a job is that the players never quit on him and kept playing hard for him and I think a large reason for that is how he handles the team. I go back to something Wheeler said way back at the start of the year when he was asked about Jim Caldwell not yelling at them. This isn't a direct quote but it's pretty close.

"You have to remember we are grown men and grown men don't need another man screaming and yelling in their face. We know when we >>> up and that we have to do better. They tell us all the time that you have to be a self starter here and if you aren't you don't last too long around here."

I think the players like Caldwell isn't over the top yelling at them. Clearly something he is saying the players are buying or they wouldn't keep playing hard for him.

There a lot of reasons to dislike Jim Caldwell and many of them are very fair to argue but to argue that he isn't a good coach because he isn't firy isn't one of them. There is one coach in the NFL who might be more boaring than JIm Caldwell an he coaches in New England, anyone going to say he's a bad coach because he isn't firy? On the other side of the fence you hyave someone like Todd Hayley that was extremely firy how did that work out for him this season?

Fire alone does not make a coach a good coach or a bad coach. It's what they are teaching that makes them a good coach. Now people can argue that what Caldwell is teaching doesn't make him a good coach and those people can put together a strong case but that is a different arguement than saying it's because Caldwell doesn't have fire alone that makes him a bad coach.

Is it possible that the head coaching decision is also tied to Peyton Manning's health? Since we don't know Manning's status as of yet, perhaps Irsay isn't ready to make that decision. If it appears that Manning is healthy, and Manning will play next year, Irsay may want to keep Caldwell. He has already stated that he likes continuity. The players have played hard for him and Manning has publically endorsed Caldwell. With Manning back next year, Caldwell's job will be much easier and he can work out his last year of his contract.

However, if we draft Luck and somehow Manning isn't ready to play or is traded (unlikely) then Irsay may decide to fire Caldwell and hire a new coach since we will be in full transition mode at that time regardless. Luck will come in and learn a new system and the Colts will move forward as a team in transition.

He sure >>>ed up the perfect season didn't he?

That was all Polian. Caldwell wasn't going to stir the pot his first year, which was a wise move on his part going into the playoffs. I didn't like the move either but team unity is paramount and it was Polians call on that matter.

I really need to know if there has been many other circumstances of a coach being retained after going 2 and 14? I know there have been many coaches fired adfer being 14 and 2 (Marty in SD), coaches who have had winning records and coaches who lost playoff games, that have been canned- Unless Irsay thinks Caldwell is Landry/Shula all rolled into one, I just cannot see the logic that he remains a NFL head coach.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Caldwell retained in some way, shape, or form. Don't know his family situation, but he may not want to leave Indy. I think he has an excellent track record as a position coach and the players seem to respect him. He may be interested in a lesser role simply to not have to carry the load on his shoulders. Just a hypothetical, but I think Jim Irsay has enough respect for him that something like this is not out of the realm of possibility.

I have no problem with Caldwell's lack of emotion, although the lost look on in face(minus the last three games) did bother me. I think his one strength was handling the players and not allowing them to give up, so the fire and emotion people want to see to drive players is unneccesary. It had more to do with his in game decisions, lack of adjustments and game planning that he failed miserably at. The fact that it took him over halfway through the season to start running the ball more shows a lack of football intelligence. Curtis Painter making over 40 passing attempts in any game is a mistake. Still heavily running the soft Cover 2, when you don't have the offense to back it up, although it can be argued that it was the DC, he is still the DC's boss. This team continued to play the same style as if Manning was under center. I know it is what the team was built to do, but when Manning went out everything goes out the window. You have to make adjustments and can't continue to be conservative and play not to lose. This is where Caldwell failed.

I have no problem with Caldwell's lack of emotion, although the lost look on in face(minus the last three games) did bother me. I think his one strength was handling the players and not allowing them to give up, so the fire and emotion people want to see to drive players is unneccesary. It had more to do with his in game decisions, lack of adjustments and game planning that he failed miserably at. The fact that it took him over halfway through the season to start running the ball more shows a lack of football intelligence. Curtis Painter making over 40 passing attempts in any game is a mistake. Still heavily running the soft Cover 2, when you don't have the offense to back it up, although it can be argued that it was the DC, he is still the DC's boss. This team continued to play the same style as if Manning was under center. I know it is what the team was built to do, but when Manning went out everything goes out the window. You have to make adjustments and can't continue to be conservative and play not to lose. This is where Caldwell failed.

All of this^^^^^^^

I don't agree with all of your micro-points, but I agree wholeheartedly with your macro-point. I think we can do much better than Jim Caldwell, and decided that mostly because of the way this season went. Not so much the record, but the lack of adjustments over the course of the season.