Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Props to our Defense!

spartancolt

DQ had 17 tackles!!!!

D line played well again, they are very reliable.

I like the new corner, Thomas, very impressive considering that he wasn't even with the team 2 weeks ago.

I just don't think he or our lbers blitz very well. On one blitz DQ went all the way around the line and wasn't close. But there was a huge hole right in front of him. He just had to blow it straight up the middle.

Why haven't we seen Sio and Irving?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the 21st ranked defense....I would say it's more a matter of very low expectations.

4435468503_051667492_automotivator_blind

I guess the fact that our defensive backs have been injured and not have been on the field has nothing to do with rankings. The Jags scored a TD off of a Colt turnover. Take that away and the defense held the Jags to two field goals.

I'm very cautiously optimistic.

It was the Jags.

They rattled off some big gains when they shouldn't have.

The Jags are not the pushover team of the past. They have a pretty good defense and an up and coming QB and set of receivers. In the past all they really had was a running game. That has changed this season so don't assume the Jags are the same old Jags of the past.

I guess the fact that our defensive backs have been injured and not have been on the field has nothing to do with rankings. The Jags scored a TD off of a Colt turnover. Take that away and the defense held the Jags to two field goals.

- A loss to the Bills and the Jets. Not exactly our top competition.

- Rally in the 4th to beat Tennessee.......a rally required to beat Tennessee?

- Squeaked out a win against the Jags at home...repeat....squeaked a win against one of the worst teams in the NFL....at home. The same Jags that got stomped by the Pats by 34 points.

Not impressed......but a win is a win right?

ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg

- Squeaked out a win against the Jags at home...repeat....squeaked a win against one of the worst teams in the NFL....at home. The same Jags that got stomped by the Pats by 34 points.

ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg

You are the one who brought up the defensive rankings. Now you want to whine about something else? Make up your mind on the subject if your going to make comments about it. We already have enough threads to complain in and now you want to turn this one into another?

The Jags are not the pushover team of the past. They have a pretty good defense and an up and coming QB and set of receivers. In the past all they really had was a running game. That has changed this season so don't assume the Jags are the same old Jags of the past.

They're also very good at beating themselves.

I'm glad I'm not a fan.

You are the one who brought up the defensive rankings. Now you want to whine about something else? Make up your mind on the subject if your going to make comments about it. We already have enough threads to complain in and now you want to turn this one into another?

Ummm...this is a thread about what a good job the defense did hence the title "Props to our Defense"?

I apologize for peeing on your Wheaties but I disagree. If you don't want differing opinions you should flag the topic "restricted to sheeple only".

2nd half and a long OT equals zero points!! Sure we got help but we made adjustments.. Mathis looked quick..DQ had his best game..loved the tipped passes!! We showed heart!!

431 yards given up to the jags.......other than that, yeah they played well against a crappy jags team that ultimately beat themselves

Agreed.. The jags well are still the jags but there are on the come up..They are young and are trying to learn how to close games.

I personally thought our defense was solid today. We had our downfalls, but our offense hasn't put our defense in the best situations either. Especially against the Bills and Jets turnovers and great field position for the opponents is what led to those meltdowns. Kinda hard for a defensive stand when our defense is winded after making a stop, and now back on the field after either a turnover or a 3 and out. Plus with the injuries we have in the secondary I think we are ok and we will get better. We still have a ways to go to become a great defense, but I am finally seeing progress in that direction which is better than previous years.

Aside from a few plays, Bortles had all day to throw. Brady, a healthy Manning or Roethlisberger would've torched that defense today.

yeah and if we ran here and passed there..and if we got lucky here and not there..and if we caught this and they dropped that..sounds like skip bayless reasoning!

We have the 21st ranked defense....I would say it's more a matter of very low expectations.

4435468503_051667492_automotivator_blind

Extremely biased statistic. Our defense is ranked low because our offense has constantly kept them on the field and turned the ball over every game... including today. They are more than respectable this is finally a defense we can win with if our offense would play.

Is it all pro? No but it's better than average.

Extremely biased statistic. Our defense is ranked low because our offense has constantly kept them on the field and turned the ball over every game... including today. They are more than respectable this is finally a defense we can win with if our offense would play.

Is it all pro? No but it's better than average.

If we're better than average then nine of these higher ranked defenses are actually worse than us......statistically which nine teams are we better than? Facts please......opinions are worth squat.

1     Denver Broncos

2     New York Jets     

3     Seattle Seahawks

4     Washington Redskins

5     Arizona Cardinals

6     Tennessee Titans     

7     Chicago Bears     

8     Dallas Cowboys     

9     Tampa Bay Buccaneers

10     San Diego Chargers     

10     St. Louis Rams     

12     Carolina Panthers     

13     Houston Texans

14     Pittsburgh Steelers     

15     Baltimore Ravens     

16     Green Bay Packers     

17     Jacksonville Jaguars

18     Minnesota Vikings     

19     Cincinnati Bengals     

20     New England Patriots     

21     Philadelphia Eagles     

22     Buffalo Bills     

23     San Francisco 49ers

24     New York Giants

If we're better than average then nine of these higher ranked defenses are actually worse than us......statistically which nine teams are we better than? Facts please......opinions are worth squat.

1 Denver Broncos

2 New York Jets

3 Seattle Seahawks

4 Washington Redskins

5 Arizona Cardinals

6 Tennessee Titans

7 Chicago Bears

8 Dallas Cowboys

9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

10 San Diego Chargers

10 St. Louis Rams

12 Carolina Panthers

13 Houston Texans

14 Pittsburgh Steelers

15 Baltimore Ravens

16 Green Bay Packers

17 Jacksonville Jaguars

18 Minnesota Vikings

19 Cincinnati Bengals

20 New England Patriots

21 Philadelphia Eagles

22 Buffalo Bills

23 San Francisco 49ers

24 New York Giants

We are in a complete different class than 49ers, giants, eagles, and ravens. For you to think we aren't is silly.

We are slightly better than the vikings, jaguars, texans, chargers, bucs. Everyone else you have an argument for. Btw do you look at anything else than yards per game? Lol.

Again all statistics for our defense will be skewed by the most turnover prone offense in the league but hey don't let "facts" hit you in the face. We have a Dline that contends with top 15 Dlines in the league we have a decimated corner corps and still have a legit top 15 defensive backfield. Our LBERS are the biggest weakness and they have been over achieving as of late.

I personally thought our defense was solid today. We had our downfalls, but our offense hasn't put our defense in the best situations either. Especially against the Bills and Jets turnovers and great field position for the opponents is what led to those meltdowns. Kinda hard for a defensive stand when our defense is winded after making a stop, and now back on the field after either a turnover or a 3 and out. Plus with the injuries we have in the secondary I think we are ok and we will get better. We still have a ways to go to become a great defense, but I am finally seeing progress in that direction which is better than previous years.

Theoretically if both our offense and defense are average that makes us an 8-8 team if we play other average teams......we won't be playing average teams during the playoffs.

If we're expecting to get in (let alone win) the playoffs, at least one aspect needs to step up. Lucks hurt and the o-line blows....defense needs to "excel" not be average.

I expect more...we're not the Jags, Raiders or Browns.

We are in a complete different class than 49ers, giants, eagles, and ravens. For you to think we aren't is silly.

We are slightly better than the vikings, jaguars, texans, chargers, bucs. Everyone else you have an argument for. Btw do you look at anything else than yards per game? Lol.

Again all statistics for our defense will be skewed by the most turnover prone offense in the league but hey don't let "facts" hit you in the face. We have a Dline that contends with top 15 Dlines in the league we have a decimated corner corps and still have a legit top 15 defensive backfield. Our LBERS are the biggest weakness and they have been over achieving as of late.

If you're willing to settle for average then you won't be disappointed when the Pats, Broncos...at this point the Bengals....wipe us out during the playoffs. Nice to have such low expectations.

If you're willing to settle for average then you won't be disappointed when the Pats, Broncos...at this point the Bengals....wipe us out during the playoffs. Nice to have such low expectations.

I'm not "willing to settle for average" I'm just realistic with what is achievable with how the GM has set up for us. With our offense playing at its potential this defense is way way way more than good enough for us to be a legit contender. But my biggest worry will be the offense. We can't depend on them to be consistent with putting up points. This defense has proven they can make the plays but it's useless if the offense doesn't ever capitalize.

I'm not "willing to settle for average" I'm just realistic with what is achievable with how the GM has set up for us. With our offense playing at its potential this defense is way way way more than good enough for us to be a legit contender. But my biggest worry will be the offense. We can't depend on them to be consistent with putting up points. This defense has proven they can make the plays but it's useless if the offense doesn't ever capitalize.

Like I said....if the offense is average or below average then if your expecting to make a run late in the season the defense will need to carry the weight. Statistically they're not there....don't sugar coat it.

I don't see where our defense played well. Sure we had a few key stops but they should've playing the Jags especially at home. Yeldon had just over 100 yards rushing something we can't seem to ever do regardless of the defense. And we gave up some big plays in the passing game. I know it was mainly Butler getting burnt. Jacksonville gave the game to us. Their kicker should get cut this week. And they had some costly penalties and huge mistakes. Like the snap that took them out of field goal range for one. Which he probably would have missed anyway. Nothing has changed for the Jags they still are horrible!

I don't see where our defense played well. Sure we had a few key stops but they should've playing the Jags especially at home. Yeldon had just over 100 yards rushing something we can't seem to ever do regardless of the defense. And we gave up some big plays in the passing game. I know it was mainly Butler getting burnt. Jacksonville gave the game to us. Their kicker should get cut this week. And they had some costly penalties and huge mistakes. Like the snap that took them out of field goal range for one. Which he probably would have missed anyway. Nothing has changed for the Jags they still are horrible!

Their missed fgs where round 50 yds..no points in 2 nd half plus 2 possessions in ot and only 13 points..don't care if we play a hschool team I'll take it!!spoiled Indy fans!!

Theoretically if both our offense and defense are average that makes us an 8-8 team if we play other average teams......we won't be playing average teams during the playoffs.

If we're expecting to get in (let alone win) the playoffs, at least one aspect needs to step up. Lucks hurt and the o-line blows....defense needs to "excel" not be average.

I expect more...we're not the Jags, Raiders or Browns.

All I am saying is that you can't expect the defense to excel when the offense is constantly putting them in bad situations. I believe when the offense steps up their game and actually becomes average then the defense should improve as well.

Like I said....if the offense is average or below average then if your expecting to make a run late in the season the defense will need to carry the weight. Statistically they're not there....don't sugar coat it.

The offense is playing well below average.

They are in fact there... the last 3 weeks have shown. Now will the offense ever get their heads out of their you know what's then yes we aren't going to do anything.

How am I sugar coating it lol. You are so wrapped up in your own opinion you aren't even read or comprehending what I'm saying. This defense is good enough to play counterpart to a top 5 offense in the league which is the potential of this offense. This season the defense is not the issue. This defense is more then good enough to take a top 5 offense team to the superbowl. So your whole parade on the ills of this defense is dumb. You want them to be an elite unit so they can carry an offense that is loaded with talent at the skill positions and that isn't reasonable. What you need to expect is the offense to get off their butt and kick it in gear and the defense to continue to remain consistent.

they really need toler to get healthy. Butler is getting abused as the second corner and he's our best option.

They are in fact there... the last 3 weeks have shown. Now will the offense ever get their heads out of their you know what's then yes we aren't going to do anything.

How am I sugar coating it lol. You are so wrapped up in your own opinion you aren't even read or comprehending what I'm saying. This defense is good enough to play counterpart to a top 5 offense in the league which is the potential of this offense. This season the defense is not the issue. This defense is more then good enough to take a top 5 offense team to the superbowl. So your whole parade on the ills of this defense is dumb. You want them to be an elite unit so they can carry an offense that is loaded with talent at the skill positions and that isn't reasonable. What you need to expect is the offense to get off their butt and kick it in gear and the defense to continue to remain consistent.

you aren't demanding people be held accountable and be fired. Thus your sugar coating it to some.

How dare you get posihttp://www.gopjn.com/b/SEFFTUdJTUlBTEdER0ZBSUlMRUgtiveyards..against the jags..cut them all!!

"This defense has proven they can make the plays but it's useless if the offense doesn't ever capitalize."

Average teams make plays....below average teams make plays.....but a defense that has to carry their offense needs to dominate their opponents. So everyone can get all warm and gooey about how the defense is performing but it's not enough. But what do I know.

8-8 record and AFC South champs again....blown out during wildcard weekend....yay!!

you aren't demanding people be held accountable and be fired. Thus your sugar coating it to some.

Accountable yes...never have and probably never will say anything about firing someone, not in a position to make that call.

But folks like you really bug me, you're almost to the point of being zealots......oh it will be okay Luck will save us.....oh but we've gone farther into the playoffs every year...oh but our D is doing so much better....blah, blah, blah. This is competition and your graded upon wins-loses not how well you played and as a fan as long as we suck I will complain. Sue me.

Mathis and his age limits his time on the field. No way he can play "most" of the game.

Maybe not every down but I'd like to see a lot more of him on 2nd down as well as 3rd, especially if they can get them behind the chains a little.  The number of times those situations come up I believe Robert Mathis can handle or he'd quit.  He looked much like days of old several times today.  Got knocked on his butt a few times but kept coming back for more.  He looks ready.

Maybe not every down but I'd like to see a lot more of him on 2nd down as well as 3rd, especially if they can get them behind the chains a little.  The number of times those situations come up I believe Robert Mathis can handle or he'd quit.  He looked much like days of old several times today.  Got knocked on his butt a few times but kept coming back for more.  He looks ready.

At his age his snap count needs to be a priority. We need him throughout the season and over using him would not be a good thing. His talent can't be used if he is used up.