Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck No Longer Outright Number 1?

It seems as if people are starting to mention RGIII in the same breath as Andrew Luck when discussing the number one pick. I don't think Luck's stock is falling as much as RGIII's has been on a meteoric rise. Personally, I think Luck will be the better NFL quarterback, but maybe he isn't as far above the rest of the field as previously believed?

I've never been a big fan of known scrambling quarterbacks...I like pocket quarterbacks that can it they need to scramble out and make a accurate throw. When was the lag time a known scramble quarterback won the Super Bowl? Quarterbacks are leaders that make the throws, running backs are the ones that run...scrambling quarterbacks also seem to get hurt more look at Vick, remember Culpepper, McNair, Mcnabb??? All have had plenty of injuries that effected them...if u haven't noticed I'm really hopin the colts make the right decision and take Luck over RG3

RG3 wouldve taken them in the endzone for a TD lat night Im sure of it instead of settling for a field goal

That wasn't what they were trying to do. They were trying to run down the clock and kick a field goal for the win at the last second. A touchdown would have defeated the entire purpose.

I think luck is light years away as an NFL style QB. I'm not a fan of spread type QB's too much to work on with them plus he runs way to much in that system for an NFL style QB. Almost 15 attempts per game just does not fit the colts style for QB at all. Luck is like Peyton at QB and will fit perfect in Indy, RGIII reminds me more of Vince Young/Cam Newton.

Look at Alex Smith he came from a Spread type system and it took him a long time to be able to even go under-center and all the pre-snap adjustments our offense requires. Thats one reason luck is so highly rated his pre-snap reads and intelligence always puts his team in the right play to succeed pre-snap.

Luck has much better footwork now..but 4-6 years from now..RGIII could be better...

This is definitely a possibility. Luck is so much further progressed with his footwork, reads, vision, and basically ever mechanical makeup of an NFL QB. While RGIII is a very raw talent, he originally came into Baylor as a track star and they made him their QB. However I definitely wouldn't count RGIII out as becoming a solid QB in the NFL, his progression in the game from freshman to junior was unbelievable. RGIII started out as a running QB, but he has as good of arm as anyone in college football, probably one of the best arms. His accuracy down the field is very good as well. But he has alot of work to do in terms of footwork, pocket pressence, his vision down the field and reading the defense. However Griffin is very intelligent and I bet he could learn the NFL style alot faster than many think. Luck has been groomed to be a great QB all of his life, while Griffin has been a very fast learner in 3 years.

This is definitely a possibility. Luck is so much further progressed with his footwork, reads, vision, and basically ever mechanical makeup of an NFL QB. While RGIII is a very raw talent, he originally came into Baylor as a track star and they made him their QB. However I definitely wouldn't count RGIII out as becoming a solid QB in the NFL, his progression in the game from freshman to junior was unbelievable. RGIII started out as a running QB, but he has as good of arm as anyone in college football, probably one of the best arms. His accuracy down the field is very good as well. But he has alot of work to do in terms of footwork, pocket pressence, his vision down the field, and reading the defense. However Griffin is very intelligent and I bet he could learn the NFL style alot faster than many think. Luck has been groomed to be a great QB all of his life, while Griffin has been a very fast learner in 3 years.

I dunno about the rest of the field, but Luck made a solid case for himself last night.

I agree that Luck really proved himself last night. Stanford's defense and kicking game cost them the win. That kicker missed three FGs!! Blackmon caught a bunch of passes with no one around him. He wasn't making a lot of double or triple moves to get open either. Stanford had no athletes to cover him. Does anyone see a way to get both Luck and Blackmon? Trade Clark and Addai and our #1 next year perhaps?

I dunno about the rest of the field, but Luck made a solid case for himself last night.

Throwing 2 TDs and a pick in a loss? Don't know how to tell you this, but he didn't look as good as Brandon Weeden last night. Plus, Weeden was passing against a better defense.

Throwing 2 TDs and a pick in a loss? Don't know how to tell you this, but he didn't look as good as Brandon Weeden last night. Plus, Weeden was passing against a better defense.

Luck went 27/31 and 347 yards, he drove them down the field with no timeouts and about 2 minutes and change on the clock (sound familiar??) to set up a potential game winner that the kicker missed. He also executed a perfect play action deep bomb to Ty Montgomery. He played a very good game,

Keep in mind too, that this is an Oklahoma State team that many thought should be playing in the BCS title game. They have athletes all over the place. And they may well nab the AP #1 if Bama beats LSU.

Oohh great now we can't pick RGiii or Andrew Luck because they're both to good to sit behind Manning. That's what the media will probably start throwing up sometime soon. I can see the media saying, "If your Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin, you do NOT play for the Colts because your to valuable to sit on the bench and learn behind one of the greatest of all time." Then we will have both the players in their minds thinking, "Should I pull an Elway or Eli??"

Luck went 27/31 and 347 yards, he drove them down the field with no timeouts and about 2 minutes and change on the clock (sound familiar??) to set up a potential game winner that the kicker missed. He also executed a perfect play action deep bomb to Ty Montgomery. He played a very good game,

Keep in mind too, that this is an Oklahoma State team that many thought should be playing in the BCS title game. They have athletes all over the place. And they may well nab the AP #1 if Bama beats LSU.

Yeah, and Weeden had 399 yards, 3 TD, and 1 pick against a much better defense than Luck was facing. So, in what way did Luck look better?

Yeah, and Weeden had 399 yards, 3 TD, and 1 pick against a much better defense than Luck was facing. So, in what way did Luck look better?

Tell me one Stanford receiver that compares even slightly to Blackmon.

My goodness, don't even compare Stanford's receivers to Blackmon. Blackmon caught 15 yard passes and ran 45 yards with them. The only separation Stanford receivers got was after Luck ran out of the pocket to extend the play. and they still were covered.

Ok, then draft Weeden. He'll be 56 years old next week, so you better draft a 2nd QB to take his place in 2 years.

All of Stanford WR r slow. They don't have a big time wideout

That's my point. Blackmon is so, so much better than every Stanford receiver that Weeden's numbers are skewered because of it. Luck gets amazing numbers with basically nobody to throw to.

It seems as if people are starting to mention RGIII in the same breath as Andrew Luck when discussing the number one pick. I don't think Luck's stock is falling as much as RGIII's has been on a meteoric rise. Personally, I think Luck will be the better NFL quarterback, but maybe he isn't as far above the rest of the field as previously believed?

That's probably pre draft pot-stirring.

Did anybody hear Kerdell Stewart blowing Rglll up allday today on espn! I really hope if we do draft a QB it is luck yes RGIII has more talent but that only fills seats not give you wins .Luck is a better Qb that manages the game better. He may become great but I think he is more of a risk then luck and it is also a more of a risk in him not staying healthy

That's because you only see what you want to see. You missed his game command and the knowledge of his offense. You missed his intelligent, well spoken nature. You missed the field general leading his team even while standing on the sidelines. I'm sorry you missed so much last night.

Stanford doesnt have a better defense than Oklahoma State...Oklahoma State is near the very top in take aways, in all of college football. and Luck only had 4 incomplete passes for the entire game! He had a 100% completion percentage in the 4th quarter...had the kicker not missed THREE field goals, this would all be a moot point anyhow

Weeden is also 28 years old and almost undraftable at that age. He is good for 5-7 years tops and still has to be developed as a rookie in the NFL.

Really guys, I never said that we should draft Weeden. All I'm saying is that he looked just as good as Luck in one game. I think Luck will be the better pro. I am just pointing out that the gap between Luck and the rest of the field of QBs is not as great as some of you would like to make it seem.

All you people are forgetting that RGIII hasn't even declared for the draft yet. He can still go back to Baylor next season. I think Polian is set on Luck and he should be. The quarterback of the future doesn't come around very often and we need to take him while he is out there.

Luck will have a better career because he is a pocket passer. Yes mobile QB's are flashy due to their athleticism but I have yet to see one who can stay healthy. Cam Newton is perhaps the exception to the rule but he is a big guy and very strong.

Also, Luck's accuracy while throwing on the run last night was enough to make me drool.

All you people are forgetting that RGIII hasn't even declared for the draft yet. He can still go back to Baylor next season. I think Polian is set on Luck and he should be. The quarterback of the future doesn't come around very often and we need to take him while he is out there.

You living under a rock bro? Polians opinion doesn't count anymore. He was fired

You living under a rock bro? Polians opinion doesn't count anymore. He was fired

He probably meant Irsay. I get the two confused sometimes also. Sometimes, it's easy to forget Polian was not the owner with the way Polian commanded so much of the show.