Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defence Going Forward

COLTSFAN12to13

Defensive Line: Anderson, Langford, Parry, Winn, Okine, Kerr - GRADE - A-

- this group looks solid and MILES ahead of last years unit. Impressed with Kerr last game. Anderson has been a stud. So has Parry. Langford has been solid. Need to see Ty McGill in some game action!!!

Outside Linebackers: Mathis, Newsome, Werner, Walden, Cole - GRADE - D+

-needs to be better. simply put. Walden has been solid. Cole has done nothing. Mathis seems to be improving as the weeks go by. Expected more from Jon Newsome. 

Inside Linebackers: Moore, Irving, Jackson, Freeman, McNary - GRADE - B-

-Jackson has been better than Freeman thus far. Honestly, not TOO bad thru week 3. WE NEED MORE SIO MOORE!!! 

Cornerbacks - Vontae Davis, Darius Butler, Toler, Patterson, Thomas, Price, Brown - GRADE - C

-Davis has not been his usual shutdown studly self, but still good. Expect him to be better. Butler needs to stay in the slot. He isn't good on the outside. We need Toler back DESPERATELY. at least he is serviceable! Thomas made a big play on the ball last week. Patterson is gone. 

Safties - Mike Adams, Dwight Lowery, Clayton Geathers, Colt Anderson, Guy - GRADE - B

Honestly, Lowery pushes this group to a B after a stellar performance in last weeks game. Adams hasn't been pro bowl level. Just serviceable. Lowery has been really, really good. Geathers has made some really nice plays and is all over  the field. Great pick by Grigs there. Guy is a special teamer.

Let me know what you think we need to improve on, on the defensive side of things

Get healthy in the defensive backfield and all is fine. Get the offense to string together drives

instead of 3 and outs, turnovers etc. and the defense would look ok. Having to

come right back out onto the field will wear down a defense.

Brady always keeps his defense fresh by seldom going 3 n outs, unlike our Colts.

Two things. When we get our secondary back. (Toler and Butler). And when Mathis gets up to speed. Having a pass rush will just make the secondary that much better. I think Mathis will have another really good season and still put up 10 sacks or so. Then if we could just get one of Newsome or Cole to step up our pass rush would be really good. But when those 2 things happen our defense will be really, really good.

To me, the Dline is doing very good. The rookies are impressive and still learning. Langford is steady plus Winn seems to fit system. I look forward to seeing what McGill can add to this group, I'm hoping he will also cause havoc.

Little disappointed in OLB'ers. Wish we had an Ahole beast that demands being accounted for. Walden can become a factor and I believe Cole will produce similar numbers to Mathis.

ILB'ers, Jackson and Freeman seem to be hit or miss weaknesses for us. REALLY looking forward to Sio and Irving to take over starting and become forces in our pass rush schemes.

Corners - Davis very good, the rest are injured (butler/tiler/smith) or ps. When they all get healthy we will see a much better D and more QB pressure.

Safeties - Lowery is playing very good so far and Adams is ok this far. I believe Geathers is playing very good and will be the Colts Safety for years to come.

DC - with all the injuries his hands are tied but hopefully soon he will have all his weapons back and game plan some very aggressive schemes.

This Defense honestly is better than it currently looks. Most people fail to see that each position plays an increment role in the production of the defense as a Unit. Without Toler or even Butler we are forced to throw back  up guys in who aren't as technically sound as a Toler or Butler. Those two DB's blanket receivers giving your OLB and DE's more time to get to the QB and apply more pressure. The ability to sop the run has GREATLY improved, that is evident. I believe once we get healthy in the secondary we can be a top 5 defense this year.  

I don't agree with the Mathis improving thing..I think he's actually fine lol it's just they aren't using him as often as they need to be he's still being pitch counted... and Davis has been a shut down corner in MAN COVERAGE he's been used in zone a lot now because toler andd butler are out and Manusky doesn't trust the backups one on one

Our offense needs to be better on 3rd down, so our Defense isn't on the field so much.  

The problem is our offense doesn't know how to convert 3rd down.  

Not true at all, our offense knows how to do it, it's just freaking hard when you are on 3rd and 10, 3rd and 15 or 3rd and 20 because your OL keeps getting called for holding or false starts...

Parry and Anderson are building blocks that is good now.  But will only get better, and stronger with time.  Right now Anderson is having a better year than the DT from Texas everybody thought we should have drafted in the first round (Malcom Brown).  Robert Mathis is still a force coming off the edge.  I would still wait until the fourth quarter these next two games to bring Mathis in why because we will need him against the better teams later.  That one sack by Mathis was awesome.  This draft coming up will the Colts address this after the O-line remains to be seen.