Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Johnson and T Cole

dw49

Only two games in but I can't help wondering about 2016. Issue would be this ...

A Johnson is due to count 7.5 mill against the 2016 cap. Only 2.5 is guaranteed. So Colts save 5 mill against the cap by saying adios.

T Cole is scheduled to count 7,225,000 next year. Only 1 mill of that is guaranteed . Colts save 6.25 with that cut.

Judging by the early play , it's hard to imagine with another year of wear and tear these two figure to be hear in 2016. Could be it's just the whole team playing badly or the schemes not working but my observation leans toward these two maybe just a tad too far on the wrong side of their prime. 

Honestly they should both be cut and we should use that money to go toward two major signings. Get ready for it..............Von Miller and Kelechi Osemele.  Our receiving corps should be as good as anybody's without Dre. Moncrief is looking like a stud, then we'll have TY and Dorsett to pair with him. We can sign a cheep vet to have as a 4th WR too. Then draft a guard in the 1st round, and either ILB, FS, or RB in the 2nd.

Yeah he did good by not guaranteeing too much money BUT BAD by signing them. So far anyway.

Let's call a spade a spade here. There is no sane GM and would have guaranteed more money to players like this. The only was that would vr make sense is if a team were hard against the cap in 2015 and just couldn't pay them more than 2-3 mill in 2015. They might be forced to guarantee money in 2016 , figuring more cap room would be available in that year. Bottom line is these contracts would be really stupid considering our cap situation if they we structured differently .

I'm not worried.. I'm just hoping their veteran leadership shows up in the playoffs and pays off for us.

Leadership is cool. We have guys like Mathis , Luck and Gore that are respected leaders . I'm more worried about players making plays than adding vet leadership in the playoffs. Buy the way another of these old leader guys just signed was just benched . If their play improves , I will be on your side and not "worry."

I think it's high time the Colts start developing the cheap young guys they have instead of signing unnecessary FAs for money that be be spent elsewhere. Cole wasn't even good in Philly (my best friend is an Eagles fans and told me as much), and Johnson is basically Nicks from last season.

All we need to do is draft and develop. 2 of our defensive line starters came from the 2015 draft. That says a lot. No more of this 1-2 year rental for players that barely contribute and are old. Gore was fine though.